Ard's Creatures

Ardorj

Elite
Society
NBK Rangers
Ardorj-Njarr
In total, I had eight creatures in my mind. One didn't made it before the closing date. That one was based on an idea of Simon (search and have a laugh!).

Two creatures where abandoned. The first creature I started drawing and creating is the Millecornun.

This is a mix between a procupine and a merp. The idea comes from something I've created with Spore. Now, I regret not sending it in anyway. Despite a lack of drawing, it could be the idea MindArk is looking for.
DESCRIPTION said:
With its many curved and poisonous spikes all over its body, it relies on its reputation to be left alone by predators. The Millecornun feeds on small insects, leaves and fruits. They are very peaceful, unless disturbed. When attacking, you will quickly learn why it is a relative of the annoying Merp.

The second one is called Thoraques.

It's a female Thorio/Thorafoid/Thor... mutant riding an Equus in battle, amazone style. It never went behond this initial idea.

Now may also be the time to say that I have done a lot of research regarding the statistics of the creatures. The relationship between Hitpoints, damage, regeneration, speed, etc. Even when these two creatures where not send in, I did calculate their attributes.

The other creatures will be posted in a seperate post each.

:ahh::scratch2::ahh:

The Voror is the next creature I created. It is inspired by an insect, peripatus. I've seen it once on a program by David Attenburough. Perhaps it was an albino, because I remember it as being white.
I've done a lot of work on this one. When creating this one I greatly improved my drawing skills, if I may say so. This pictures shows three phases of the creation.

Not only have I consently remade the pictures, I also renamed it at least two times. First time it was called Rikkakuma, like the Sabakuma, but then snowdemon or something. This name lacks a fear factor.
Next it was named Moenen, after the Devil in a Dutch tale. I collect beer bottles and one is called as such. The tale stuck and I wanted to name it after Moenen. The gray rings of this creatures orinitate from the iron rings used as punishment in the tale. I thought the name would be too similair to Mourner.
So it was named Voror. Doesn't sound at all like Furor eh? It means devour in Latin.

My lack of drawing skills is the cause of something I rather like. As I tried to make details, the overall look of the creatures change. I enjoyed this and came to think of it as "Drawing Evolution". A good example are the feet/legs.

DESCRIPTION said:
The Vorors stalks the snow white plains of Amethera in large foraging armies. Aggressively attacking en masse all in sight, engorging everything in their path. Sightings of even Chompers being taken down quite easily have been reported. Silent, aggressive, fast, intelligent, deadly. They are a formidable predator indeed.

Hitpoints: ~1600 to ~5000. Damage: ~125 to ~375.

:painter::ahh::painter:

Next comes a creature which name is impossible: Caeruleus. It's a type of blue. I searched for birds with beautiful colours as inspiration. Two colours are taken from birds with Caeruleus in their scientific names.
The creature itself is inspired by a ray or catfish. But one with a huge stinger.

This one hasn't changed much. It was more or less made and completed between perfectioning others.

DESCRIPTION said:
The Caeruleus are solitary creatures. They slowly sweep over the sea floor, feeding on small species. What is often revered as it's “third eye” is in fact a sting hole from which a needle sharp stinger shoots. A painful venomous shock is thus rewarded to the predator. Although not prone to anger, colonist taking a swim in the ocean are warned to avoid the Caeruleus.

One other intresting thing to note is that this has a unique damage type: venom.

Hitpoints: ~450 to ~1250. Damage: SECRET (find out how much venom if MindArk does pick this one!)

:tongue2::smash::tongue2:

Following creature "evolved" into two different species. The story start with the Globster. I wanted to create a swimming Globster, the fear of the Calypsion waters for all. As in most cases, Earths nature has creatured the best critters already, one is the manatee.

As I was thinking about it's description, the idea about making it a cyborg sprang to live. The non-cyborg hasn't changed very much from the Manatee. It's called the Decesster. Poor dear old Professor Bartons soul.

DESCRIPTION said:
Recent bio-engineering research by the robots of Akbal-Cimi on the Globster resulted in the Decessters. Some people believe that the soul of professor Niels Barton is trapped in these blubbery forms. It's very presence suggests that the robot forces are having an interest in the Calypsian waters, although the reasons remain unclear. Don't let its looks deceive you, they are capable of taken out even the best of Calypso's hunters. Colonists are warned to avoid the areas where the Decessters are most prominent.

Hitpoints: ~2000 to ~4000. Damage: ~125 to 425. Regeration: huge.

The Cyborg-Manatee is called Chimeruca. From Chimera, the Greek mythical beast and the Latin word for wart. This one has undergone a lot of "drawing evolution".

The small one at the bottom is the final picture. At the time of it's creation I read the final books of Dune. In there are some sort of cyborgs, hideous to look at. In stead of making the Chimeruca strong, I made it weak. Bad flesh, bad robot compounds.
Other things that have changed: The neck was first very Warlock like, you can still see that in the upper pictures. The idea of the head was at first to be in some kind of diving helmet. The tail was like the tail of the Warlock. Indeed, it was a Globster-Warlock cyborg. The best of both sides. The swords at the flippers where added at the last moment.
The big one in the middle is a very, very bad drawing with sizes out of proportion lol.

DESCRIPTION said:
The results of the robotic scientists from Akbal-Cimi with inventing cyborgs are mediocre. It's biological body suffers from many diseases and remains underdeveloped. The mechanical parts are rusty and malfunction. Evidence concludes that DNA from the Globsters has been used. Many superstitious beliefs surround the Chimeruca. They say that if you hunt the Chimeruca for too long, you too will suffer the same disorders. People also believe that the soul of Niels Barton lives on in these cyborgs. Calypso Defense Forces denies everything.

Somewhere on it's body is a code. (You can't see that on these pictures). It would be fun if others could decipher it. IF, IF I win of course.

Hitpoints: ~500 to ~2000. Damage: ~50 to ~150.

:smash::vampire::smash:

Following creature "evolved" into two different species. The story start with the Globster. I wanted to create a swimming Globster, the fear of the Calypsion waters for all. As in most cases, Earths nature has creatured the best critters already, one is the manatee.

As I was thinking about it's description, the idea about making it a cyborg sprang to live. The non-cyborg hasn't changed very much from the Manatee. It's called the Decesster. Poor dear old Professor Bartons soul.

Looks like the mob I was thinking of sending in don't worry I didn't. Others look great btw.

very nice work m8 :wtg:

Last creature is sexual dimorphic, meaning: the sexes look different. Like the Armax and Snablesnot. It started off as an idea to creature a bigger, better Berycled. Soon enough I realized it was just that. Therefore, it evolved to walk on two more legs.
This creature is called the Carovescor. Caro means death flesh in Latin, Vesco means to eat. It's a scavanger.
Both sexes have the beak of a vulture. The female has a comb like a rooster. It had a long "history" of having a wattle too, but I deceided that it would be too much like a rooster that way.

This picture is from the male. The upper left drawing shows how it has gone from a bipod to a tetrapod. Although the male hasn't changed much in appearance, it took me days to come up with the colours I liked best. Left is an old one, right is the final drawing.

DESCRIPTION MALE said:
Carovescors are Calypso's main scavengers. They are sexually dimorphic, with males being bigger and stronger. With four nares, their sense of smell is unprecedented and they can pick up the stench of a carcass from many kilometers away. Oftentimes engaging in a fight with other Carovescors or smaller predators such as Berycleds or Tantillions. Not even in times of famine will they turn cannibalistic. Despite having a foul image, Carovescors are social towards humans.

They are very social, in fact it's tameable and I've added tamed drawings for MindArk to look at. For now, those remain a secret.

(MALE) Hitpoints: ~500 to ~1300. Damage: ~40 to ~140.

Above is the Female, with right under the final picture. The final, round comb, comes from a little statue I have from Portugal: The Rooster of Barcelos. The ornaments on her body are also somewhat inspired by the paintjobs of this statue.

DESCRIPTION FEMALE said:
Carovescors are Calypso's main scavengers. They are sexually dimorphic, with females having bright colors to attract a mate. About ninety percent of all animals in a family is feminine. Very noticeable are the combs, which colonists use to decorate homes. Zoologists can determine their ranks by the colors. Although the males are stronger, a family is lead by a alpha female.

(FEMALE) Hitpoints: ~250 to ~1000. Damage: ~20 to ~90.

Together with the Voror and the Chimeruca, I like this one the most and believe these are my best changes. But I must admit that the concurence is bitter hard and I've seen some outstanding entries!
Like I've said before, a lot of work has gone into creating my critters. Not only the pictures, but also the description.
Places where it would be found (and how great was my shock when Marco posted that Eudoria would look quite different!)
Sounds they will make, even searching and listening to sounds on the internet to pick the best one.
Things it will loot (someone will be VERY happy when MindArk adds the loots of the Decesster if that's the winning entry!)
Coloring the pictures, again and again (close to thirty different coloured Carovescor Males where drawn).
Reshaping of the pictures. First pictures where saved in .JPEG, but that means the pictures quickly loose some quality. The Voror was near complete, untill I've done it all over again and saved in .PNG and .TIFF.
Twentyfive different versions of the Carovescor exist on my computer. With a few missing, because my computer was giving me hell. Picture that couldn't be saved anymore and couldn't be copied-pasted in one piece was driving me mad.
The naming of the creatures. I don't speak Latin, but learned a little from the internet. All critters have a meaning in Latin.
Combat related things. Attack rate, range. Aggression rate, range. Damage types.

I say that if I don't win, it's not because of a lack of trying.

:smash::whip::smash:

all really cool designs mate, but I especially love the idea of mutants riding equus so the Thoraques is my fave +rep

:yay:I want Manatees!

the Decesster looks cute. :wtg:

Good LUck ARd!

Back