The Pink Slip

Pirx Danford

Elite
Society
Federation of Free Wanderers
Pirx Danford
Imagine a wide open and a bit curvy landscape .
Among the light ground bedecked with orderly mowed grass several sky scrapers are shooting upwards to the sky.
A teleporter rests on a platform of concrete floor, evening out a piece of uneven ground.

Slowly and with a low humming noise the body of our protagonist Dr. Eli Suzan is forming from thin air.
From her absentminded gaze around you can clearly see she has been here many times.
She takes a slow sip from the single-serving cup of coffee, she brought with her.
When she looks up to the sun she is suddenly absolutely concentrated.
Holding her wrist-com on the left arm close to her right hand she is clicking something with her middle finger,
careful not to spoil the cup.
"Doctor Brim come in please." she says with a voice expecting her orders to be followed.

A small interruption, it seems to be bright noon, but actually it is in the early morning and Suzan is just arriving at work.
Yes we are in the far future, but no, the earth was not changed to have a different day system.
We are located on a completely different planet, earth still exists but mankind started to spread out to other planets.
Between the planets in the solar system (some having colonies that could as well be space ships as tightly sealed as they are)
one far out space colony was found, capable of easily carrying human live.
This is the planet Calypso, it has two continents opened up for human exploration.
Eudoria is the continent being taken first, Amethera is the second larger continent and here the city of Omegaton West Habitat is located.
Wait, I did say taken, yes... we were not the first on the planet, several factions of aliens and also a robotic menace are battling on this planet,
but this is a completely different story to be told another time.
Omegaton West Habitat is at the west of the continent mass located at a beatiful spot at the coast.
The name of the city stems from the location and of the name of the mega corporation that build it.

Three corporations got the contract rights to provide the colonists with all they need.
Chikara, Genesis Star and Omegaton soon found out that the complete venue was heading into disaster,
not for the people, those are irrelevant to corporations that size, but financially it was bound to fail.
But difficult situations spark creativity and so one of the plans to get more financing from the empire was presented.
This is the reason why 4 artificial suns are circling Calypso and provide a neverending day.
The suns were named Relos, Salos, Tantos and Unmos and placed in a way that only one is visible is all the time.
Positioned the way that they circle in stable orbit, seemingly not moving from the planet surface they need constant monitoring.

This is the job of Dr. Suzan and its one of the best jobs to get, she might be officially employed by Omegaton,
but basically it is a government job with stable pay and a very ordered work...
well as long as the robots don't try to overtake controls of the suns as they did in the past.

"Yes Suzan, I am listening" a male voice squawks fro the wrist com.
"Mornings Brim, you need to check this out Tantos seems to have a flinger,
the zerf detector is operating is it?"
"Um... yes, yes it is, but Suzan you need to come up here there is something you should have a look at."
This was clearly not what Suzan expected to hear as you could see from her raised eyebrows.
"I'll be right up and you better snap to it, there is much to be done today. Over and out."
She was running a tight ship, actually she was half a hour early which was usual for her.
To be the first and last at work were part of her routine, she never would expect to work less than her subordinates.

She made her way to the Gamma Complex building, the offices were both at the top floor with an excellent view and in the cellar through a secret entrance.
This was were she went to and after waving a hello to the security officer at the entrance the first thing she did was enter a small room to look at the display of a device filling the room labelled Omegaton ZerfD F-6.
When she heard a hustle behind her, she said without looking away from the display, "Brim why is this off so much, what exactly is going on?"
"Lets go to your office Suzan" when she turned she flinched, Brim looked completely devastated.
Usually she would have started to take regulatory actions on the spot, but something seemed very off.
So she went along with Brim to her close by office.
What was even more strange was that he stood back at the door, waved her to go in, but seemed not to intent to come in for himself.
"Is there someone in already?" she asked but Brim just moved the head in a "go in" manner up once.

Puzzled she went in, the light was still off so she turned it on and looked around.
No one was here and she was about to turn back and call Brim back to explain what this was all about,
when something on her desk catched her eye.
"But, but this can't be" she muttered, in plain sight there was a pink slip on the desk.
In a haste she went up to the desk, opened the letter and while reading it she slumped more and more back in her chair.
On the head of the letter it said "Notice of Dismissal" and on the bottom "we sincerely thank you and your team for the good work".

The next 15 minutes a multitude of expressions displayed on Suzans face,
but then she seemed to come to a conclusion and her face lightened up.

Hectic she stormed out of the door and collected the pink slips from all of the tables in the 5 offices her 20 people strong team were using.
Between the security guard, which was none of her team only Dr. Brim and a uncontrollably weeping Sarah Clayton were already there.
Suzan ordered Clayton and Brim to the conference room at the top floor and to explain nothing to no one,
both regarded her with a puzzled face but followed the orders as they were used to do just that.

In the next 10 minutes the rest of the team arrived and she was catching everyone at the door and ordered all to the conference room.
Brim was to do the same at the top offices.

When everybody finally was assembled, she stood up mustered everyone and said
"Folks. I do have good news and bad news. This is the bad" and with that she flashed the pink slips and handed them out for being distributed,
but she did not wait for them to be opened.
"In a nutshell we are all about to be laid off. They don't know exactly when we shall turn them off, but it will be soon."
After clearing her throat she went on
"But this is an opportunity waiting to be taken. This is all very unplanned and I need someone to look into it, but as usual the 3 bigs"
(she meant the mega corporations)
"won't be thinking ahead and this is why I will open up a new company."
Puzzled looks in the room
"You are all a great team, but we will need much more people for what I am planning, so everyone who wants to be in can be.
Here is the plan, we all know how to keep the lights going, okay maybe we only control 4 big lamps so to speak.
Now imagine, all cities will need lighting outside now!"
Raised eyebrows among more puzzled looks but also 2 smiles were visble in the room
"I am glad to announce that I will found Sparkle Forever today, now hustle we have much work to do."

Last edited:
Oh, coool start! When can we expect the next episode?

That zerf detector is bound to malfunction (I hope) :)

Nice work, boss. It'll explain the switch from perpetual daylight to day-night post CE2.

Back