FYI: The Road to the SemiFinals

Rayne Jade

Marauder
Society
GloryHound Irregulars
Rayne Jade Blackmoore
Greetings!

Much tough fighting to get to the Semis this year, and each our the SemiFinalists have travelled a different road to be here.

I have taken the success of each of our SemiFinalists and through basics comparative rankings determined an overall ranking for the 6 teams remaining. Since there are 6 teams, the best in each category gets 6 points, the next 5, etc. The total from the 3 categories gives the overall ranking:

Code:
             [B]2009      Opp       2009
TEAM        Record    Record     Loots[/B]
Australia   6-0 [B](6)[/B]   9-15 [B](5)[/B]   3019 [B](6)[/B]  [B](17)[/B]
USA         6-0 [B](6)[/B]   8-16 [B](4)[/B]   2339 [B](5)[/B]  [B](15)[/B]
Romania     6-0 [B](6)[/B]   8-16 [B](4)[/B]   2083 [B](3)[/B]  [B](13)[/B]
England     5-1 [B](3)[/B]   8-16 [B](4)[/B]   2201 [B](4)[/B]  [B](11)[/B]
Sweden      3-3 [B](1)[/B]  10-14 [B](6)[/B]   1952 [B](2)[/B]   [B](9)[/B]
France      5-1 [B](3)[/B]   7-17 [B](1)[/B]   1707 [B](1)[/B]   [B](5)[/B]

So... I am not out to favor one team over another, nor am I out to discourage or minimize the achievements of any team. I just feel these categories are the best indicators of the teams strengths.

In the coming days leading up to the SemiFinals, I will recap the season for each of our SemiFinalists. I will try to place emphasis on the data that is, in my opinion, important and interesting.

Best of luck to all the teams! :thumbup:

Team France 2009

Team France has had an interesting ride to the SemiFinals.

The first two hunts of WoF 2009 were of course the qualifiers. France scored 107 in Stage 1. Most teams did struggle a little in this hunt. France scored only 5 globals on Main Team, but one was a HoF on a Big Bulk Gen5 for 437 PED. Support contributed 28 points, all on Thorio. At the end of the day, France was ranked #10 out of the 24 teams.

Stage 2 brought a new mob list, one that seems to agree with Team France better than Stage 1. The Frescoquda were very kind to the Support team, so much that they were capped at 135 points. Main team racked up 99 points before bonuses to maintain a balanced attack. France scored 314 points to give them a total qualifying score of 421, which jumped them from #10 to #6 ensuring they were seeded and would not face another top-6 team in Stage 3.

The group draw place France in a Group with Poland, Amethera and Denmark. France went undefeated in Stage 3. Their first opponent was Denmark resulting in a win, 308 - 12. Main Team scored HoFs of 329 PED, 108 PED and 162 PED. Working again in the balanced attack, France got the sweep bonus as well.

Their next match was against Poland and another win: 256 - 128 with a HoF of 333 PED. Both Main and Support got 10 scores each and again France got the sweep bonus.

Finally, France went against Amethera winning 227 - 48. A HoF of 403 PED helped the cause as France advanced to Stage 4 with a combined score of 791 points for Stage 3. This marked the second consecutive year for France advancing.

Stage 4 saw France grouped with Australia, Canada and Greece. Their first match was against the powerful Australian team, in which France suffered their first loss 538 - 200. While still a respectable score, it should be noted that Canada won their match with a score of 355 points, making France the #3 team in Group C.

Next up was Greece, and France rebounded to win 236 - 110. Main team struggled a bit scoring only 4 globals, but 2 of those were HoFs of 429 PED and 322 PED which basically doubled the Main team score. A strong effort by Support propelled France by scoring 32 globals and 127 points.

At this point, France was still in the #3 spot in Group C and facing elimination. The team ahead of them in the #2 spot was Canada... which happened to be the next match. Canada had a 204 point lead in the standings so basically the next match would begin with a score of Canada 204 - France 0.

The match started in spectacular fashion with France bagging a HoF of 543 PED on the second global. It was on after that... France Main finished with HoFs of 543, 390, 294, 642, and 388 PED. Main scored an impressive 302 points and Support racked up 113 points. With bonuses, France scored 480 points to Canada's 236 completing the greatest comeback in the history of WoF to advance to the SemiFinals for the second straight year. France had a combined total from Stage 4 of 916 points and a 5 -1 record in WoF 2009.

France heads into the SemiFinals riding high on their amazing comeback, but certainly knowing the toughest challenges lie ahead. They will face USA which boasts an undefeated 6 - 0 record.

Best of Luck to Team France :thumbup:

Very nice work Rj :thumbup:

When your buried knee deep in it you try to watch how the other teams are going but you cant watch it all so this is a nice recap,Thanks ;)

I'm looking forward to reading the other countries stories :)

I was judging Canada in the France v Canada match. It certainly was very exciting, and a great performance from the French team. I'd say they went from also-rans to strong contenders within the space of 3 hours!

Has anyone made a book on the Wof this year?

Are Australia seen as favourites to win this time with their high points victories so far?

Will the USA and England have an advantage, or disadvantage, through being prior WoF Champions?

Are Sweden or Romania going to go one better than losing Finalists this year?

Or is France going to pull off a couple of shock wins to take the title?

A very interesting WoF this year and a tough one to call...I'd be interested in seeing someone give odds on each team please if they're brave enough? :thumbup:

Has anyone made a book on the Wof this year?

Are Australia seen as favourites to win this time with their high points victories so far?

Will the USA and England have an advantage, or disadvantage, through being prior WoF Champions?

Are Sweden or Romania going to go one better than losing Finalists this year?

Or is France going to pull off a couple of shock wins to take the title?

A very interesting WoF this year and a tough one to call...I'd be interested in seeing someone give odds on each team please if they're brave enough? :thumbup:

Well, in the past Centech did exactly that (and it was rather accurate as well).

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/wof-2008/107473-handicapping-wof-round-4-a.html

I PMed Centech a while back asking if he was going to do the same this year.... no reply.

I won't give any odds but I would put them in order something like this:

1. Australia (very strong and scary throughout)
2. USA (much improved on last year because of better organisation and support numbers)
3/4. England/Sweden (hard to call the semi-final but I think the winner will be seen as an underdog against Aus and USA in the final, assuming they both make it through)
5. France (very impressive in the last round but USA will still be favourites to beat them in the semis as they've yet to prove the last match wasn't a one-off)
6. Romania (good team but not as good as last year and I think Australia will overwhelm them in the semi)

Team Sweden 2009

Team Sweden enter WoF 2009 as they always do... with many eyes watching and high expectations. Team Sweden has made it to the WoF Finals both years in the past, but the title of WoF Champion has eluded them so far.

The Qualifiers start it all, and for Team Sweden they shot out of the gate with a score of 189 points placing them #3 out of the 24 teams after one hunt. A score of 189 is low for Sweden, so they made up the difference in Stage 2 by racking up a massive 478 points to give them a total qualifying score of 667 points... good enough for the #1 spot assuring them they would not face another top-6 team in Stage 3. Support was a little lacking in Stage 1, but they made up for it in Stage 2 by posting 135 points while hitting the cap.

The Group Draw placed Sweden in Group D with Scotland, Finland and Eudoria. Their first test would be Finland, which was a victory 288 - 157. Featuring a HoF of 338 PED, the score was low for Sweden, but enough for a win.

Next up was Scotland. Sweden fell short, losing 278 - 251 - one of the smallest margins of victory in recent history. A HoF of 354 PED was not enough and the Sweden team was now 1 - 1.

Finally in Stage 3 was Eudoria, which suffered at the hands of Sweden's previous defeat. Sweden jumped out to an early lead and never looked back, winning 416 - 79 and advancing to Stage 4 for the third consecutive year with a total of 955 points - tops in Group D. Helping the cause were HoFs of 478, 397 and 700 PED. Worrisome was another subpar performance by Support, which only registered 52 points and 8 globals.

Stage 4 saw Sweden grouped with USA, Portugal and Poland. Up first was USA - a clash of 2 historically powerful teams. The match lived up to expectations as exciting and lots of points, but Sweden came up short 398 - 311. Support did show up, racking up 107 much needed points. However, with Portugal scoring higher in their match, Sweden was now in the #3 position in Group B. To lessen the sting of defeat, Support nabbed a Formidon for 24,478 PED - a WoF record high loot.

Up next was Portugal, and was paramount that Sweden do well to keep pace. Both main teams scored 7 globals, so the balance would rest on the shoulders of support. Portugal proved to be too much this day, and Sweden suffered their 2nd loss in a row, 293 - 263. Another close match, but this was Sweden's 3rd loss of the tournament which is the most they have ever lost. Sweden was still in the #3 position however, and only 37 points from #2.

Up last was Poland, and Sweden was more than motivated. Sweden cruised to an impressive victory 437 - 18 giving Sweden the needed points to advance to the SemiFinals. HoFs of 602 and 498 PED certainly helped as did 175 points from an uncertain support team.

Entering the SemiFinals, Sweden has a record of 3 - 3 and a combined score from Stage 4 of 1011 points. Sweden is to face Team England - a formidable foe. Support could make all the diffence... but which Support team will show up? The one that scored over 135 four times..? Or the one that scored less than 52 four times?

Best of Luck to Team Sweden :thumbup:

The Sweden/England match is the most unpredictable of the three semi-final rounds. Twice silver medalists Vs the current Champions.
Will be a good fight. :)

Awesome work Rayne.... as always :thumbup:
Looking forward to the stories for all teams that made the semis.

1. Australia (very strong and scary throughout)

Fee Fii Foe Fum :D

The traditional exchange of insults begins ;)

Oh it's an Ashes year this year as well I believe :cool:

and so it begins ;)

I see French fairy tale ending this weekend, USA is determined to win so grab your :popcorn: it is going to be fun we will share a :beerchug: after the match!

After naming Australia as the favourites earlier, I realised there was one factor I'd forgotten about.

All of the other teams that remain have experience of the semis and final. Australia do not.

I wonder how much difference that will make.

After naming Australia as the favourites earlier, I realised there was one factor I'd forgotten about.

All of the other teams that remain have experience of the semis and final. Australia do not.

I wonder how much difference that will make.

Another disadvantage for Australia is our timezone, I don't know what time the final is, but if we get through to it chances are we will have to hunt late at night or (*gulp*) really early in the morning.

To quote a former Prime Minister when referring to Australia's geographic location, said "...it is at the arse-end of the world". ;)

Team England 2009

If there were high expectations for any team in 2009, it was certainly Team England. The defending Champions were looked at as the team to beat, although not many teams would welcome a match with them.

Stage 1 was quiet for many teams, but not England; they set the tone for the WoF 2009 campaign with the highest score - 227 points. The writing was on the wall as England's first 5 globals of the 2009 season included HoFs of 1616, 555 and 301 PED. The final 5 scores included HoFs of 355 and 429 PED. England finished their first hunt in a very comfortable position: #1 out of the 24 teams.

Stage 2 was even better with a score of 320 points. Highlights were HoFs of 410, 481, 391 and 303 PED. Support was capped at 135 points after a lackluster showing in Stage 1. The combined total of 547 points ensured England would not face another top-6 team.

Stage 3 arrives with England in Group A with Greece, Norway and Czech Republic. Up first was Czech Republic and a low scoring match. Both Main and Support tallied 8 scores, with Main getting a HoF of 661 PED. Despite the few scores, England managed to get the Sweep Bonus of all 10 possible scoring globals in only 16 scores, a fine example of selective killing. The match ended 238 - 75.

Next in line was Greece, and England again made efficient use of their time earning the Sweep Bonus. Support got a chance to enjoy some HoFs with loots of 352 and 269 PED, the latter coming on the Bonus mob (Phasm) earning a quick 50 points. England continued their winning ways with a score of 328 - 132.

Last up in Stage 3 was Norway. Despite no HoFs in this match, England poured on the fire getting the Sweep Bonus again in route to a final score of 301 - 164. England finished Stage 3 undefeated with 867 points - 353 more than the closest team, Greece. With this win, England was now riding an 8 match winning streak.

Stage 4 saw England grouped with Romania, Scotland and Italy. Up first was Romania. The single HoF of 403 was not enough to topple Romania as England suffered their first loss 442 - 376. On the bright side, during the course of this run England established a WoF Record of 8 consecutive wins.

Next up was Italy, and England did not want to lose two consecutive matches. Topping 450 points for the first time since WoF 2008, England easily outscored Italy 462 - 214. Support shined again with HoFs of 513 and 354 PED.

Last up would be Scotland, which was fighting for their WoF-lives and would be very motivated indeed. England simply need to hold on to the #1 spot on Group A which they did handily: 516 - 214.

With a total of 1354 points and a 5 - 1 record, England advanced to the SemiFinals for the 3rd consecutive year. England will face Sweden (3-3). England is looking to advance to the Finals for the 2nd consecutive year... and also looking to win their second consecutive WoF Championship.

Best of Luck to Team England :thumbup:

Last edited:
Impact of Support Teams

A question was posed to me earlier... which I found interesting.

"What has been the impact of Support Teams compared to Main Team scores this year?" First, let's see the total points scored in 2009 WoF and the contribution of the Main Teams and the Support Teams:

Code:
TOTAL POINTS SCORED:       31,232
Main Team Totals:          22,748 (72.84%)
Support Team Totals:        8,484 (27.16%)

So we can use that as a baseline for a comparison for the team about to participate in the SemiFinals :thumbup:

AUSTRALIA
Code:
TOTAL POINTS SCORED:       3,635
Main Team Totals:          2,922 (80%)
Support Team Totals:         713 (20%)

ENGLAND
Code:
TOTAL POINTS SCORED:       2,252
Main Team Totals:          1,632 (72%)
Support Team Totals:         620 (28%)

FRANCE
Code:
TOTAL POINTS SCORED:       2,128
Main Team Totals:          1,447 (68%)
Support Team Totals:         681 (32%)

ROMANIA
Code:
TOTAL POINTS SCORED:       2,424
Main Team Totals:          1,967 (81%)
Support Team Totals:         457 (19%)

SWEDEN
Code:
TOTAL POINTS SCORED:       2,633
Main Team Totals:          1,903 (72%)
Support Team Totals:         730 (28%)

USA
Code:
TOTAL POINTS SCORED:       2,920
Main Team Totals:          1,887 (65%)
Support Team Totals:       1,033 (35%)

England and Sweden are dead on with the WoF average. USA and France rely a little more on Support while Romania and Australia seems to rely most on Main.

Comments...?

Last edited:
Weird, I hoped Support's contribution would be 25% when I started this; wasn't too far off:)

Hurrikane

Interesting that England and Sweden are almost equal there, I wouldn't have expected that.

How does that compare with the overall support/main score split in 2008?

Thank you for all interresting statistics, RJ!!

... but which Support team will show up? The one that scored over 135 four times..? Or the one that scored less than 52 four times?

I have some information on that but...
this is of course secret until after the semifinal :)

Interesting that England and Sweden are almost equal there, I wouldn't have expected that.

How does that compare with the overall support/main score split in 2008?

I wish I knew... this is the first year that every number in WoF has been tracked from the first match of the Qualifiers to the Finals. Most of the raw scores from 2008 are gone. Once WoF 08 was over, most of the data was deleted to make room in the Inboxes here on EF... I am not blaming anyone, I do the same thing. Prior to this year, I sent out a call for all scoresheets from 2008. I got a few, but not enough to accurately examine differences between 2008 and 2009.

Well, in the past Centech did exactly that (and it was rather accurate as well).

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/wof-2008/107473-handicapping-wof-round-4-a.html

I PMed Centech a while back asking if he was going to do the same this year.... no reply.

Sent you a spreadsheet where you can put in the individual match odds, scenario odds, etc, and it'll work out the overall odds for you.

I'll let you make your own adjustments to the odds I thought up, be interesting to see what you get.

Team Romania 2009

The WoF 2009 campaign started in a scary way... many were shocked to see that Romania was not going to participate :eek: Here is a powerhouse team that has progressed to the Finals in 2007 and 2008 deciding not to join in the tournament. After some debate and reconsideration, Team Romania did field a team much to the delight of the WoF organizers... but to the dismay of the remaining 23 teams.

Stage 1 saw Romania charge out of the gates to score 146 points, good enough for the #7 spot out of the 24 teams. While was certainly expected of seasoned WoF veterans, the disturbing part was the 8 points from Support. Certainly this would change...

Stage 2 was the hunt that would make Romania seeded or one of the pack. The tactic seemed to be to concentrate all firepower on specific mobs. Other than the bonus mob and a lone Hogglo, all points were scored on Frescoquda and Furor. A score of 195 was tallied and Support contributed 119 points this time around. A total of 341 placed Romania in the #10 spot, so they were off to the whims of the Group Draw.

Stage 3 found Romania grouped with Canada, Ireland and Wales... with Wales being first in line. Romania scored better that in the qualifiers and secured the top spot in Group B with a 251 - 162 victory. During this match, Romania scored one of the lowest HoFs in WoF History... an 85 PED Malcruentor Provider... but a HoF is a HoF.

Next up was Ireland and a power failure... The match was suspended due to the power outage and resumed after playing of the Stage 3.3 match...

Which was against Canada... a team motivated to advance. While having no significant loots, Romania put up their highest score so far: 454 - 273 and earning the Sweep Bonus. Main team carried the weight this round; Support turned in a score of 52.

Resuming the suspended match 3.2 saw Ireland forfeit the remaining hunt time and Romania cruised to a 341 - 43 victory, highlighted by HoFs of 255 and 333 PED. Romania advanced to Stage 4 with an undefeated record and 1046 points.

Stage 4 saw Romania in Group A with England, Scotland and Italy. Up first was the defending Champions: England. Concentrating firepower again, Romania racked up high scoring mobs to take the match 442 - 376, handing England their first defeat in 9 matches dating back to WoF 2008. Only one HoF was tallied - 293 PED, but overwhelming Warlocks paid off nonetheless.

Next up was Scotland. While not scoring as high, Romania still proved to be efficient getting the full variety and bonus mob in winning 286 - 229 to remain undefeated. No significant HoFs were scored, but again focus was on the high value mobs and that tactic proved wise again.

Last in Stage 4 was Italy. Romania was not taking any chances by relaxing; they showed up with guns blazing and cruised to a 309 - 85 win by again focusing on the high value mobs with Support laying waste to Grand Formidons. Romania finished Stage 4 remaining undefeated at 6-0 and massing 1037 points... thus advancing to their 3rd consecutive SemiFinals.

Romania will face the juggernaut that is Australia... a match of 2 unbeaten teams... one will advance.

Best of Luck to Team Romania :thumbup:

Team USA 2009

The 2008 WoF campaign ended disturbingly for the USA Team... they read about the SemiFinals and Finals instead of participating in them. After a year to consider that, the recruitment threads and ads showed a new determination. Would the sting of elimination work to motivate Team USA?

Stage 1 saw the USA post a score of 199, good enough for the #2 position. While not scoring any HoFs, USA did balance their attack enough to be on top out of the gate.

Stage 2 was more of the same: lots of scoring with 1 HoF of 501 PED. Support enjoyed hitting their cap early (135 points). A final score of 397 ensured USA would maintain the #2 position and not face another top-6 team in the Stage 3.

The Group Draw placed USA with Italy, Netherlands and Estonia in Group C for Stage 3. Up first was Italy. USA quickly shot out to an early lead scoring two HoFs in row of 404 and 336 PED and never looked back. Another HoF of 735 PED sealed the deal as USA won 424 - 140.

The next match was Netherlands. USA scored less than before, but it was enough. Full variety led to a 302 - 211 victory. Support made up the difference posting 119 points. USA was firmly in command of Group C.

Finally in Stage 3 was Estonia. USA posted their highest score yet with a 448 - 35 victory. HoFs of 387 and 624 PED helped while Main carried the bulk earning 395 points. USA completed Stage 3 undefeated with a total of 1174 points, second highest of all 24 team in Stage 3. USA advanced to the next Stage for the 3rd consecutive year.

Stage 4 saw USA with Sweden, Portugal and Poland. First in line was Sweden. USA got the win 398 - 311 and Support shined tallying 185 points. Main scored HoFs of 291 and 371 PED and Support got one of 386 PED.

The next match was against Poland which saw another USA victory 354 - 106. Again Support carried the day by posting up 165 points. Despite no HoFs, USA's shear numbers seemed the difference.

Finally in Stage 4 was Portugal... and another USA victory 398 - 224. During this match, a loot of 9,586 PED was taken from an Argonaut Raider Elite. Combined with the loots in all of Stage 4, USA claimed a new WoF Record for Most Loot in a Stage: 13,399 PED. Support hit the cap again and USA finished Stage 4 with 1150 points and remained undefeated (6 - 0). In addition, USA is riding a 8-match winning streak, which ties the record held by England.

In the SemiFinals, USA will face France who is coming off the greatest comeback in WoF History. Any team that made it this far is worthy, and certainly USA is not going to take France lightly. Only one team will advance...

Best of Luck to Team USA :thumbup:

Last edited:
Team Australia 2009

Team Australia began the 2009 WoF with high hopes and many subscribers in their recruitment thread. Would it pay off? They would enter this campaign with a 6 - 6 all time record in WoF competition.

Stage 1 kicked off well with Australia scoring 149 points, placing them in the #6 spot out of the 24 teams. A low bonus total on variety may be cause for concern, but more of a concern might be the 14 points scored by Support.

Stage 2 proved to answer those concerns with Australia scoring 437 points, scoring full variety and the Sweep Bonus, and Support chiming in with an impressive 135 points. HoFs of 413, 395 and 512 PED certainly helped, as did a 2,663 PED Frescoquda HoF from Support. The combined total of 586 points put Australia in the #3 position and ensured they would not face another top-6 team.

The Group Draw placed Australia in Group F with Portugal, Slovenia and China. Up first: Slovenia. Australia posted HoFs of 241, 266 and 465 PED enroute to a 457 - 90 victory. Full variety and the Sweep Bonus were achieved again, but Support was on the low side at 69 points.

The next match was newcomer China and would see the first of many WoF Records from Australia. The victorious score of 496 - 27 was the largest margin of victory (469) ever in WoF competition. A HoF of 406 PED helped the Main team rack up 429 points while Support posted 67.

Finally in Stage 3 was Portugal. No signs of Australia getting tired as the cruise to a 524 - 190 victory with HoFs of 741 and 361 PED. The Sweep Bonus factored in again, but Support contributed only 72. Australia completed Stage 3 undefeated with a massive 1477 points - the highest of all the teams.

Advancing to Stage 4 for the 3rd consecutive year, Australia was placed in Group C with France, Greece and Canada. Up first was France and another victory 538 - 200... second match in a row scoring over 500 points. Main scored HoFs of 296, 193, 1026 and 320 PED and Support improved to 99 points.

Next up was Canada, and another WoF Record. A victory of 629 - 285 was enough for the record for Most Points, Single Match, One Team. Scoring over 500 points for the 3rd consecutive match, Australia Support showed up in force to post 151 points. This record-setting score was due in large part to the HoFs of 724, 293, 410 and 364 for the Main team and HoFs of 160, 288, 333, 4214 and 342 from Support.

Last in Stage 4 was Greece, and yet another WoF Record would fall to Australia. The victory score of 405 - 121 established a total for Stage 4 of 1572 points, besting the 2008 Tibet Team for Most Points in a Stage. More impressive HoFs as well with 943, 309 and 598 PED from the Main team and 529 and 385 PED from Support. Australia advanced to the SemiFinals for the first time.

Australia will face the expeienced Romania in the SemiFinals... the only matchup of undefeated teams. Who's season will end..?

Best of Luck to Team Australia :thumbup:

Australia will face the expeienced Romania in the SemiFinals... the only matchup of undefeated teams. Who's season will end..?

Best of Luck to Team Australia :thumbup:

Thanks heaps for the writeups, this is a fantastic thread and Its great to see the bigger picture from another perspective.

+rep *5 stars* Subscribing ... Is there an "I Heart this thread" Emote coz ill use it here if there is. ;)

Back