Play as mob?? Here's how!

Wistrel

Elite
Society
Entropia Pioneers
Wistrel (Wisty) Chianti
Thanks to Dorsai for the original idea - I thought it was so good it deserved a thread of its own! :laugh:

Dorsai said:
6. The ability to play as a mob. You get no skills, no loots, no nothing, but it gets some of the mobs under human controll, and then they dont behave "like all <mob> of that type." Adds spice. Limit the time a player can do this, to say 20% of their total in-game as avatar, so it's not 100% free, just an added benifit you can take up if you want, to add some veriety.

I LOVE this idea! It could be linked to some sorta skill maybe called Buddhism or Reincarnation. This would be a fast levelling skill where every level gains you what would in effect be a kind of "credit".

Here's how it could work:

Availability

100 levels in Buddhism is the minimum level to be reincarnated as a low level mob, eg Daikiba, Snable or Exasaur. When you die, if your skilled enough in the art of Buddhism, at this point you have a choice to be reincarnated rather than revived and this choice will depend on how many levels you have available to "spend". For example, if you want to be reincarnated as an Atrax Provider or similar this may "cost" you something like 1000 levels.

Your time as a Mob

Once you have been reincarnated as the mob of your choice, the challenge is on! It's now down to you to kill as many players as possible without dying! When you die your time as a mob is over and you find yourself back at a revival terminal.

As always, standard "mob rules" would apply. If you went anywhere near a gun tower or water (unless your a Ripper Snapper in which case the reverse applies) you'd be toast. If someone attacks you, you could revive from injury as fast as any other mob of your class would normally too.

Benefits

A likely benefit from your time as a mob is that for every kill, you get one level of Buddhism back meaning that if you get good at it you can have another go. There would, of course, be a lot of strategy to this not to mention waging mob stats (health, attack potential, speed) against its initial cost in levels as regards to how successfull you will be and for what cost?

Unless your initial levels in Buddhism were linked directly to some cost or other skills, it would be unfair to allow Buddhism to have any additional skill or monetary benefit so it should entirely be for fun. However a good point is that any players who do undertake time spent, "on the other side of the fence", so to speak, not only have fun themselves but also feed directly back into how fun the game is for other players. (Imagine how much of a challenge a truely intelligent mob would be to kill! :D )

Economics

Although MA would have no interests in adding yet more stuff for new arrivals to do I would again point out that Buddhism skills would not be free and of course would require an initial amount of gameplay before you reached those 100 levels required to undertake your first reincarnation. :laugh:

This is not to say that skills in this field should not be transferable however and therefore it is entirely likely that an industry may crop up as a result of selling both to those who want to try reincarnation just for fun (and potentially in bigger mobs than they can afford on their own skills) and those too who wish to profit from this activity. Whatever the situation, it is unlikely that MA loose out cause even if more players than expected take up "mob running" as a pass time, this just makes the game that little bit more fun and random for everyone else :girl:

Control

Controlling yourself as a mob would be much the same as normal control the only difference being forms of attack. The best situation I suspect would to have 3 bindable attack types (like our weapons) and then depending on the type of mob different combinations of these would be active.

When your fed up of chasing the oranges, just take a stroll towards those pretty gun towers :D

Now just a quicky question... How would I sweat U when U are a mob? ;)

Tom thebuzz Chr said:

LOL - Good point!

Potential for Cooperative Exploits?

A potential issue would be that mob players could liase with hunters who are friends and then their friends could offer to die repeatedly at the hands of their mob mate so he can level up easier. The hunter of course would gain evade skills too probably. :rolleyes:

One work around for that is that you can only kill each hunter once or at least have a time delay before you can attack them again after the first kill. This means you are at more and more of a disadvantage when killing and staying in the same place when playing as a mob.

The only advantage to a hunter who you might allow to kill you when you're a mob is that they may get loot very easilly. This could be counteracted by correct balancing, ie the time/cost to reach the required Buddhism levels needed to become a mob of significant potential value should outweigh the potential "average/statistically likely" (cause globals happen on sabas sometimes) return for that mob. Alternatively it may be ruled that no player controlled mobs ever carry loot but this means that, if hunters suss you out as being different they may avoid you (they may do that anyhow cause standard mobs would be easier). This shouldn't be an issue though as its really up to you to do the attacking, the only problem would be is if your prey always runs away but again, it would be up to you with your skill in "emulating mob behaviour" to try and avoid this always happenning. :D

As regards the issue of "easy sweating" obviously the simple thing would be to turn off the ability to sweat player controlled mobs (potentially giving you away?) however, as with the loot issue, the most elegant solution would to balance the amount of sweat you as a mob could provide against the cost of levelling enough to become that mob in the first place.

Mob Communication

As an extra measure to avoid such collaboration, not only would reincarnation involve random location spawning but player controlled mobs could also only communicate by making the same noises as mobs of the same species and their chat/Personal messaging system would be disabled for the duration of their "mob lifetime". As an extra element of fun there would be potential maybe for those with significantly high "Animal Lore" skills to be able to understand ("hear") player controlled mobs. This would be synonymous with the ability ressurrectors have to speak with the dead. :tongue2:

Play as a mob..

U get nothing. Nowt. Nada.
It's compleatly pointless.
Thats IT. Full stop.
No skills, no nothing.

END OF..

But, It's....

FUN!!

Log on.

Get fed up..

OK...

See a mob...

Click on it.

Select

"posess entity".

Now you are the mob.

You are a Drone gen 05 now....

Go do your worst.

Invade PA if you can..

Kill all in your sights....

GRRRR

Tom thebuzz Chr said:

"This mob has no sweat".

Dorsai said:
See a mob...

Click on it.

Select

"posess entity".

Now you are the mob.

You are a Drone gen 05 now....

Go do your worst.

Invade PA if you can..

Kill all in your sights....

GRRRR

Hmm interesting approach but I feel this raises more questions than it answers... just my 2pec :twocents:

Although, have to say I forgot about robots... Hmmm now that raises some different dynamics. :tongue2:

Sounds fun!
Maybe make it a limited time thing, to prevent people using it too much.
Sweating - well, if you are possessing the mob it still has sweat, so that wouldn't interfere with too much..
Attacking people.. well the mob attacks people anyways, so no change there.

Would be lots of fun to possess one of the flying mobs :tongue2:

What if you came back as a dakiba and someone managed to tame you? you would be trapped forever in a stable.....BAH! the horror of it all......

imagine the rest of your PE career forced to do tricks for nutrio's......

NetStalker said:
What if you came back as a dakiba and someone managed to tame you? you would be trapped forever in a stable.....BAH! the horror of it all......

imagine the rest of your PE career forced to do tricks for nutrio's......
I Would not mind too much, After my Mob time limit expired the player has no pet, and I have gained 500 Nutrino bars...

Perhaps this would be the pay off for being a mob, you might get taimed, and win some NB's... :D

You know if this could be worked out well, it could be one of the coolest things in the game.

Neat idea! Very creative! :)

EDIT: Just thought:

Can't you just see skalman showing up at Corinth as a 'trox stalker, still stuffed into that bad shadow armor? :laugh:

Wonder what mudkicker would show up as? ;)

Last edited:
goldpython said:
Can't you just see skalman showing up at Corinth as a 'trox stalker, still stuffed into that bad shadow armor? :laugh:

Wonder what mudkicker would show up as? ;)

Thanks for all the good thoughts. I should probably re-spec this one little to incorporate the new suggestions. Incidentally "somewhere" on this forum there is a picture I posted of an Exasaur wearing pixie armour!* :laugh:

Wistrel

* I kid you not! It wasn't even a photoshop job. I just had a VERY screwy graphics card! :girl:

Im not a Buddhist and I don't believe in Reincarnation :dunno:

Good topic :D made me laugh :D

Thx Wistrel

Personally i think that MA will not include anything that can be fun and cost no peds...

It's virtual universe where adversiments flying few meters from the ground but you don't have night/day cycles, weather, vehicles, posibility to farm things or even ride on them. There is plenty other games that got such things from the beginning but somehow PE is more attractive ? WHYYYYYYY ?

sorry for little offtopic here.

player a : "dude i'm a spider"

player b : " oh cool man ok let me kill you and if i hoff we split the loot"

:rolleyes:

cool idea. perhaps a ped usage spent per attack you make and somehow a random looting from players made like mobs do as is. Would be pretty simple to program into the game id think since the mechanics are already in place.

Be better to have Lycanthropy skills.

Given this power, my Soc could, as one, all turn into Repesilex Prowlers (does such a beast exist?) and become seething dots of hate. Or Merp Stalkers and spoil every party we go to. Or better still.... eight Itumatrox Dominants all wearing "Clint Eastwood" overcoats, advancing in death-laden hops towards their foes..... LOL

edit: cracking up now imagining a squad of tooled-up Itumatrox with Maddox IV's and Axe 5x0's lol

Back