Digital cameras

Mr Claude

Guardian
Society
PROJECT-ASYLUM CORP.
Clau Mr Claude CCM
A friend of mine bugged me about what digi camera should he get , also I'm thinking of buying one in the near future(if I happen to stumble on some money and not spend it all foolishly :broke::rolleyes: ).I was thinking about prices and stuff, looking at a few charts on the net, so up to 400$ , at the most 500$ I'd be willing to spend lol but I'd thought I'd ask here also,it's good to ask people that used than just look at the numbers.
So what's the best digi camera considering dmg/pec ?errmm I mean price/performance :silly2:

I think that my Sony Cybershot is a really good cam..around 300$ and 4 megapixels

Mustek DV5000 Camcorder and Camera in one. 4.2MegaPixel for £89 incl. p&p Lovely quality photographs and video :)

I have a Fuji FinePix S5000, it's "Only" 3.2mp but it takes awesome pics, and it looks like a "real" camera.
It's one of the camera's that takes most pics on one set of batteries, i can take more than 500 pics with one set of batteries, and that is when using the LCD display, prolly around 1000 pics without using the LCD.

And it's got an awesome 10X optical zoom ;)

Cool camera :)

Here's how it looks....
http://images.google.com/images?q=finepix s5000&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&sa=N&tab=wi

I just bought one a couple of weeks ago, sony cybershot. Its pretty good, and its currently the worlds smallest 7.2MP camera :D. Even tho i dont see any point in taking pictures that big.

Its a decent camera tho, and not too too pricey.

Have a Konika Minolta Dimage x50. The pictures are ok, nothing special. The best thing with it is the tiny size.

Really depends on what your planning to use it for.
For example I know that the Sony cam's that "medium level" to say it like that, is really trash when it comes to taking pics outside when its cold. Meaning that if you wanna catch the northern lightning on film Sony isnt the answer ;) Dunno bout their higher-performance cams but then you also have to pay the higher price.

If you want it so you can take serious good pictures you should look around for a digital SLR with macrolenses.

If you just want one for home use, then Olympius cam's are a good choice. They have the most sold digitalcam on market, quality is fine and the price is fine.

I'm not at all a pro on this subject, but whatever you do get one with AT LEAST 4 mp's, if not more :)
I think ours was slightly less than $300... it's an Olympus (I happen to really like Olympus as far as regular cams go too) D-580... Has zoom, but I think the zoom could be better.
I wanted something with many features, so it's a nice choice.... it's all about how serious you are about digi photography of course and what you want the cam to have :girl:

I have a Casio QV-R40. Has 3x opitcal zoom and 4 mega pixels...bought it for around $250 a year ago

I'm gonna buy one soon too, the ones i'm considering are the Sony Powershot a95 (5mp) and the sony Powershot 520(4mp), dunno yet wich one I'm gonna buy but it's gonna be on of those 2, they cost about 300-400$.

I love Canon IXUS. Great design and very easy to use :D

Camilla- said:
I love Canon IXUS. Great design and very easy to use :D

That's a good point camilla on the ease of using it. I would highly recommend a cam that correlates to your style of photo shooting and your willingness to learn how to use all of the features... features are only good if you know how to use them :D
Canons are great imo too, but I've never owned a digi one

We have a Canon Powershot S410 Digital Elph. Great little camera. In addition to good still photos it takes 3 minute video clips with sound. Whatever you choose, keep 2 things in mind.
1 - At least 4 megapixels
2 - 4x or better optical zoom. Digital zoom is not all that great.

I got this info from a pro photographer that I worked with doing some basic PS stuff for. He uses nothing but Canon and was very impressed with our little Elph.

canon all the way, it cant be beaten.

Svetlana said:
I would highly recommend a cam that correlates to your style of photo shooting and your willingness to learn how to use all of the features... features are only good if you know how to use them :D
Well , when I get a new toy , I usually like to play with it in the begining , discover all it can do and learn the things I like and need to do with it , so np in that department.
Can you guys say the cons of your cameras, not just the pros ? It must be something you don't like too much about them, or a feauture that's missing and you'd want it, etc.
I've looked at a few more reviews, nice link wanda ;), and I've thought about weight and size also, a few cameras look like bricks, as a weight factor I mean :p , so now I'm going for the lighter , the better principle :rolleyes: without disconsidering the other tips I received :D

lighter is not necessarily better - a bit of weight to a camera makes it more steady. ;)

I own a Sony Cybershot 4x zoom 5.1 megapixel
350$ - bought in Seattle, Washington.

Personally I went for the Canon Power Shot A80 a few years back, because it used regular sized batteries (AA) and compact flash memory. Many other cameras uses proprietary batteries and memory that there are no third party manufacturers for, which brings the price up on these things. It can also use extra lenses, a waterproof housing (accessories) and has focus assist light (very good when photographing in low light conditions) and can either be used completely automatic or with a variety of manual settings. The swiveling display is great for taking overhead shots or close to the ground pics of children or animals or even self portraits. I'd go with the A95 if I bought a camera today. Same formfactor and functions and accessories but upgraded.

The negative sides of the Canon Power Shot A-series are that they because of the batteries are a bit more "normalsized" and heavier than many small compacter cameras, but I like having a camera I can hold and not only on the edges or corners. :)
The Canon IXUS (its called something else in the states "Elph" maybe?) are popular too and really compact and pretty much have the same features as the A series but have the smaller formfactor and therefore uses special batteries.

You should really examine what you want to use the camera for and select a fitting one for your purposes. Think about batterytypes and memorytypes, and choose one with a good lens, no amount of electronic trix can make up for a crappy lens.

Ok I'll shut up now... :)
Good luck finding a good camera that you will be happy with!

Checkout these sites that have really good tests and comparisons:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Test of the A95: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/a95.html

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php

http://www.imaging-resource.com/

Last edited:
Back