How To Set Up An Anti-Virus On Your PC

• Thread starter Deleted member 24529
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24529

How To Set Up An Anti-Virus On Your PC

Setting up an anti-virus on your computer is very easy. You can choose to download free anti-virus such as AVG Free Advisor and AVAST! Home Edition. Or you can also buy anti-virus software like the Norton Anti-virus, Sophos Anti-virus, McAfee and the like.

For the downloaded free anti-virus, you just have to run the .exe or setup file you have downloaded, follow the instructions that will be given and there you go.

For the anti-virus you bought, follow the instructions that can be found on the product manual.

Make sure that you configure your anti-virus software to run on your computer during system start-up to maximize security.

• It is vital that your anti-virus software is always updated to get maximum efficiency. Visit the supplier’s web site when installing anti-virus system and check out the auto update feature.
• Do not use two anti-virus products simultaneously. If you already have an anti-virus and want to install another, you must first completely uninstall your present anti-virus before installing a new one.
• You must at least use an Internet service provider. Check if it has a spam email filtering and server side anti-virus feature as back up protection.
• There are anti-virus software that work with spyware, Trojans and other malware. If yours have limited effectiveness, consider getting a separate product.

The following are the continuation of the list of the common symptoms of virus existence on your computer from the previous post:
There are unexpected changes to file properties. Viruses can alter these – increasing the file’s size, modify date of creation, and even change the filenames.
There are many reasons that can cause you a problem in starting up your computer, but frequently is it a boot virus attack.
Viruses can cause some programs to suddenly shut down.
Other symptoms are strange open-close activity of the CD-ROM tray, the automatic movement of the mouse and keyboard inputs, etc.

here is a direct link to AVG free edition
http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-V...l-10044820&subj=dl&tag=button&cdlPid=11014801

Last edited by a moderator:
AVG is superb, highly recommended. :)

I also endorse Zone Alarm firewall and Spybot to catch spyware and adware that AVG doesnt pick up.

I always used to use free, but paid is worth it.

AVG is great for a free product. If you willing to pay, Kapersky has had my back for over a year now and I am really satisfied.

Of course certain products are better suited for certain needs

If you choose to buy norton or mcafee, you will get virusses and they will claim nothing is wrong. Not just a virus, but thousands of them, I've seen this dozens of times, if not hundreds, from all kinds of people.

If you choose to buy norton or mcafee, you will get virusses and they will claim nothing is wrong. Not just a virus, but thousands of them, I've seen this dozens of times, if not hundreds, from all kinds of people.

Also I haven't heard of anyone who successfully uninstalled Norton once he/she noticed that it wasn't "that good". Prepare to reinstall your entire system if you want to uninstall Norton :wise:.

If going for payed i would just recomend ESET Nod :)

If going for payed i would just recomend ESET Nod :)

Im using ESET smart security 4 (free 2 month full trial) seems good -its a "gaming" package so is not supposed to try and install updates etc when ya in the middle of a fragfest :)

I think until 2005 I was a fan of norton products and then bitdefender took first places of all the tests/reviews... I never had to look back =)

P.S. the total security version includes everything one needs from http traffic scanner, registry protection up to defense against kids or granny :D

J.

Products to stay away from:

AVG
Norton

free product that sort of works

Avast

the one I would strongly recommend

http://www.eset.com/

ive tried most and well nothing beats eset :p i know many use it and absolutly love it, i wouldent lie i tihnk if i say ESET is -the- best AV you can get for roughly 30£, it takes no resources when scanning, it actually is smart, and oh the list goes on, an absolute "BEST BUY" from me atleast and I do think people can agree of those others who use it :p

just stay the f*****ck away from free AV's if you can, and norton too, they usually take ALOT of resources and is just downright retarded acting alot of the times :p

some might be familiar with AV's saying "oh no EU is trojan woop woop", I can't mention other games, but that is something that happens in alot of games :p, my stepbrothers PC I was updating windows, with the updater, and WOOP WOOP "KB97632 something was an trojan!" i giggled and tried patching one of the biggest MMO's in the world, nop TROJAN VIRUS !!!! :p

AV's is the one thing on peoples computers that really is worth getting something very good and safe, and to get that, do NOT ask in electro stores, they will give you norton, and well it is ass. there are others than ESET too, but ESET is the one ive had now for some years, and my computer has not been infected or alike, i reformated it once due to an new hardrive :p beeing infected with the old ones i had like Kaspersky, AVG, Avast, and norton to mention the worst, i would struggle with lots of unecessary resources beeing used and an AV that was pretty darn nazi and stupid thinking ...

Back