Good Bike Advice

Svetlana

Poster Girl
Society
The Jaded Crown
Ragnarok Svetlana Valhalla
Ello ello guys and gals...

So finally, after years of begging him, my husband has taken the first step towards getting little me in the seat of a motorcycle :banana: We went to the local BMW bike shop and did a little snooping around for a good bike for me...

And after reading threads here that offer good advice on various rl products, I thought some of you might be able to offer some good advice as to bikes in general... any brands you like? Any to stay away from? Maintenance? Etc. etc. Any help is greatly appreciated! And keep in mind I will be a beginner rider... oh, as for my needs.... riding around city mostly but some highway driving; smaller bike, not too small, but something comparable to the BMW F 650 CS :girl:

OK- thx all for whoever rides and offers advice :)

Don't forget to buy a helmet. :wise: ;)

Well, I've not ridden a bike since a serious motorcycle accident some 10 years ago which has left my right leg half an inch shorter than my left - so if I am not careful I walk in circles! :D

However, I have to admit I miss my bike riding days :cool: - I was riding a Honda CB650 custom (for the California Market) - I had my accident however on a Suzuki 250 whilst the Honda was in repairs. Maybe, just maybe, I would have been spared some of my injuries if I were riding the larger bike - due to a lower centre of gravity and other factors.

So if you are looking at a 650 that should be good. When you are riding though you should be constantly looking for every motorist in a half mile radius and just assume they are going to try and kill you! Sounds extreme I know, but it's a whole different world when you are riding a bike, and you wouldn't believe the stupid things car drivers will try to do. :wise:

Also learn where the reserve tank is! Don't be a n00b like I was when I first got a bike, and thought I had run out of petrol on the Pacific Coast Highway! - One minute I was cruising along feeling like God on two wheels - the next I was feeling completely helpless like being caught in the path of a herd of stampeding elephants - and it was a very long push to the nearest petrol station! :dunce:

Do they require a helmet in Seattle? - I much used to prefer riding without one as it gave me a greater awareness.

I hope I haven't put you off, Bike riding is a truly exhilirating activity - who knows maybe I'll get back in the saddle one day!

OK Mach thx for the advice :) No, didn't put me off in the least. I fully expect to crash at least once in my first year riding (as that supposedly is quite typical) ;) And Dark, yes I fully intend to wear a helmet... my brains and my face are two things I would like to stay fairly in tact :girl:

I'll check the HondaCB650 out. Atm I'm more interested in the smaller bikes, traditional/naked styling, strictly b/c they seem the most comfortable to me. But I intend to test drive many types b4 purchasing :)

Thx gents for the quick advice!

Svetlana said:
OK Mach thx for the advice :) No, didn't put me off in the least. I fully expect to crash at least once in my first year riding (as that supposedly is quite typical) ;) And Dark, yes I fully intend to wear a helmet... my brains and my face are two things I would like to stay fairly in tact :girl:

I'll check the HondaCB650 out. Atm I'm more interested in the smaller bikes, traditional/naked styling, strictly b/c they seem the most comfortable to me. But I intend to test drive many types b4 purchasing :)

Thx gents for the quick advice!

Had a coworker that had one of those huge BMW bikes... 6 disc cd changer... windscreen that moved up and back... like a BMW car but with two wheels. Dont think its what you are looking for but it was nice. Got to ride it a few times.

Oh yeah.. and wear a helmet! :wise: ;)

Suicide

I've ridden mostly off road and it's been quite some time since I did that. I fully intended to get a street bike at some point because I LOVE RIDING! But, with a family and limited fundage etc... a bike is just not practical for me. I have to totally agree with machman however, a 650 is probably a good size. I also have to agree that riding on the street is not what it used to be. With all the SUV's, minivans and trucks on the roads these days, there's not much room left for the casual motorcyclist. I would highly recommend a driving school, unless you're already an experienced rider. It's rough out there. As far as brands go, I've ridden suzukis and hondas but, I'm a Harley man at heart. Hope this helps a little. Whatever you choose, just be careful. ;)

IMO it is only Harley that counts as a bike but I recomend Yamaha Virago 535 for :girl: or a sportster of any model is ok too. Allthou nothing beats a :girl: on a Night Train (Harley that is)

Well a 500-650 naked sport bike as a first street bike is probably ur best bet and as far a brands and models for ur first bike I would suggest finding the bike that u feel the most comfortable on (in the riding position back and arm angle and all that) The best thing about the naked bike is they r lighter and as u said about getting in a minor crash in ur first year yeah that will probably happen and the naked bikes don't have a ton of expensive ferings to replace :broke: . And if u r not an experienced rider GO TO A RIDING SCHOOL
it will teach u things u will be forever gratful for.

Great advice all :girl:
Yes- I am going to a bike school to learn the basics.. just seems prudent to me so that I can hopefully enjoy riding for years to come.
And yes Steel, due to repair costs, the naked bike would be best suited financially I think :) good advice, cheers!

ok- so it seems the concensus here and among some of my friends is a 500-650, which is what I'm interested in...
Any thoughts, any1, on which brand they prefer? Seems most prefer the Japanese brands... I really like the BMW's personally, but will have to test drive many once I get my license..

Well there's no denying the appeal of a Harley!

In my dreams though I ride a Triumph ;) - The 790cc Triumph America for example is a beautiful cruiser

And for the ultimate - what about the 2294cc Triumph Rocket? :D it is the Behemoth of bikes, kicks dirt in the face of the Harleys! - :D perhaps it should be called the Triumph Eomon!

Not quite what you would call entry level bikes though!

I too like the Virago which is extremely popular!
:)

Svetlana, I want to get a ride when you buy one! I have never tried that :D

Just curious, do you need a special bike license in the US?

If you going to buy anything other then a Harley FFS atleast buy a Ducati.

Darkaner said:
Just curious, do you need a special bike license in the US?

Yes, we must be licensed here for road driving (not for off-roading however).

LMAO Faust- ya, well, maybe one day a Ducati... :laugh:

Well in my little world of bike riding I would seriously suggest either of the suzuki 600 naked bikes. The Bandit 600s or the ever popular sv 650. The sv has great ergos and a fun ride. Fun for zipping around town with a big smile on your face. You can find some nice cheap used ones around. (Usually) On a slightly different note a great helmet is a nolan. They have full face flip up to talk normaly and you can just flip up the face sheild. Used them many times and couldnt be happier.

Svety on wheels yeah!!! :D eheh

Weel , I don't know crap about bikes but I'm happy for you non the less. Good to see you take so much care in chosing a bike. No use in buying something beyond your skills and needs or something witch has too high of decay or ammo .... ups! fuel burn I mean :wise:

And remember , always keep drive safe ;)

On a serious note do some very indepth reading about helmets if your state makes it mandatory, in Maryland it is and I wear a piece of crap fake helmet that breaks away easily. I say this because there are many studies that prove a helmet can cause, in some circumstance more harm then good. For instence some of those full face helmets with the chin guard, if you impact your head at the right angle it will pull your spinal cord outta your skull. Just be sure you pick a helmet that is safe, because not all are. And some of them severly impairs your vision and that is more unsafe then not wearing a helmet :wise:

HELMET LAWS SUCK! :D

Faustian said:
On a serious note do some very indepth reading about helmets if your state makes it mandatory, in Maryland it is and I wear a piece of crap fake helmet that breaks away easily. I say this because there are many studies that prove a helmet can cause, in some circumstance more harm then good. For instence some of those full face helmets with the chin guard, if you impact your head at the right angle it will pull your spinal cord outta your skull. Just be sure you pick a helmet that is safe, because not all are. And some of them severly impairs your vision and that is more unsafe then not wearing a helmet :wise:

HELMET LAWS SUCK! :D

:D I fully agree! I had the pleasure of riding in California before the helmet law came in.

The best defence for a biker is to try and avoid accidents in the first place through awareness and agility, and you're quite right, some helmets take that all away from you.

Back