ATTENTION ! POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS BUg !

ALEXANDER

Elite
RO ALEX ALEXANDER
ATTENTION ! DANGEROUS BUg ! (and fix)

Be careful people DO NOT LEAVE YOUR Login screen on a LONG time ! I talked to other people and I can CONFIRM that on both ATI and Nvidia, under some versions of Vista and win7 as well as one case of XP, it makes the videocards work at 100% activity, with heat building up pretty fast !

THERE IS A HIGH CHANCE that your video card WILL GET BURNED !

So be careful guys when you leave your EU in login screen for more than several minutes seconds just in case !

EDIT: Indeed this is a bug, LOG IN Screen HAS NO reason to use 100% Of the graphic cards since the actual game uses 50-60% ! and crysis no more than 80 ! So there is some stupid code in the login screen... I am not saying it will burn in 60 seconds but some MAY ! So be careful ESPECIALLY if you have PASSIVE cooling !

ATTENTION !

There are reports ( even from a close friend that PM'ed me seeing this thread) that several more entropians have already fried their graphic cards !
Don't think that yours can not melt because it costs 1000$ ! IT CAN and IT DID in some cases ! Monitor your temperatures at ALL time !

SOLUTIONS
Updated

Enabling Vsync ingame now solves the problem. No need to make another file or force vsync !

Future Nvidia users be aware though !
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1004378/why-nvidia-chips-defective

Last edited:
Fuck_You,_I%27m_an_Anteater.jpg

You can tell ultimababe used to work in customer support. :D

I doubt leaving the login on for 60 seconds would cause that, I used to run 3dmark2006 a lot which stresses /tests your graphics card and that doesnt cause anything like that.

my asus eah4870 going to full power while i run eu. After log out i get 86C and must set the gpu power to lower run. and again after log out is on full power and hot:rolleyes:
hope they fix that soon, or my GC going death:eek:

If your card burns out due to it running at 100% load, it sounds like the cooling of the card is not adaquate. The HSF probably doesn't contact the core properly or the grease has dried out or something.

In other words..........IT'S NOT VU10'S FAULT!!!

Well I can’t comment but you know there is usually option in BIOS to shut down PC if he over heat.

As for me I like when is hot (hot = good).:wtg:

PS. I know what you mean do I burned two Nvidia already (and not the small ones) ofc not whith Entropia.

Oh last thing I get the heat monitored on the front of PC (tuning) it don’t show anything unusual.:scratch2:

Well I can’t comment but you know there is usually option in BIOS to shut down PC if he over heat.

As for me I like when is hot (hot = good).:wtg:

PS. I know what you mean do I burned two Nvidia already (and not the small ones) ofc not whith Entropia.

Oh last thing I get the heat monitored on the front of PC (tuning) it don’t show anything unusual.:scratch2:

You go through alot of pcs... amirite?

This isn't new. In a past version I've noticed the fans going berserk with the clientloader open only as well. Never understood why tho (and still don't).

On second thought this was the loginscreen as well, not the clientloader.

Last edited:
it doesn't make sense why would it burn at loging screen. Login screen is hardly graphically intensive, just type details and login.

I can't believe login sequence uses 100% of grahics card activity, sounds like nonesense to me.

it doesn't make sense why would it burn at loging screen. Login screen is hardly graphically intensive, just type details and login.

I can't believe login sequence uses 100% of grahics card activity, sounds like nonesense to me.

I too thought it was rather alot of pish posh too, old chap!

I have no clue about this stuff but i did notice my framerate hitting the 900's in the log in screen and I can hear my gfx card working its butt off.

Just make sure you have a cool PC :D

I have no clue about this stuff but i did notice my framerate hitting the 900's in the log in screen and I can hear my gfx card working its butt off.

i run fraps and i'd noticed in the old vu at login frame rate was high. I had thought frame rate is high because the graphics isn't being demanded to do much i.e. its soo simple for it it can do it very easily.

I remember running 3dmark once on my computer and when GPU doesn't have to do much, frame rate is high when it's being tasked to work hard, frame rate goes low.

I'm not all that technical but that's my understanding.

if people are over heating then they need to install more fans to get the heat out of the case. normally fans at the front pulling are in and ones on the back sucking air our.

Fans are only round £6 to £10 each some fore less

need to make your it is in a well ventilated area to allow for air flow.

In any case the game is not to blame, though it may still course it. 100% workload should in no case burn your gpu, if it does it's due to crappy or faulthy graphic card, bad airflow or simular.

However, it's still nice to know.

Indeed this is a bug, LOG IN Screen HAS NO reason to use 100% Of the graphic cards since the actual game uses 50-60% ! and crysis no more than 80 ! So there is some stupid code in the login screen... I am not saying it will burn in 60 seconds but some MAY ! So be careful ESPECIALLY if you have PASSIVE cooling !

Indeed this is a bug, LOG IN Screen HAS NO reason to use 100% Of the graphic cards since the actual game uses 50-60% ! and crysis no more than 80 ! So there is some stupid code in the login screen... I am not saying it will burn in 60 seconds but some MAY ! So be careful ESPECIALLY if you have PASSIVE cooling !

if it is using all of the graphics cards power i.e. 100% shouldn't frame rate be low :scratch2:

my asus eah4870 going to full power while i run eu. After log out i get 86C and must set the gpu power to lower run. and again after log out is on full power and hot:rolleyes:

i have the same card....first and foremost, remove stock cooler and go get an accelero s1 rev 2 radiator , put it in (took me about 1 1/2 hours, tedious work) and after that mount some fans on the radiator (there are some versions out there that come with the fans, i recommend those), Cooler VGA Arctic Cooling Turbo Module seem to do the trick. personally i just mounted a 120mm fan on the accelero and it works just fine.

now it's a bit dusty and i have to clean it cuz the temp is a bit higher than usual, about 50 degrees celsius in idle, will check ingame temp later when i have the chance.

oh and remember if u remove the stock fan u void ur guarantee

1758 FPS on the login screen, glad my video cards are water cooled :cool:

/Slupor

if it is using all of the graphics cards power i.e. 100% shouldn't frame rate be low :scratch2:

No, quite often it will just push the frame rate as high as it can go. Most of the time the card should end up running at 100% load anyway. If you try to guess load and temps on fan speed you are barking up the wrong tree. Most graphics card drivers have thermal monitoring built in and will adjust the duty cycle of the fan accordingly. Ok, sometimes the drivers don't do it right but still, you get the idea.

Be careful people DO NOT LEAVE YOUR Login screen on a LONG time ! I talked to other people and I can CONFIRM that on both ATI and Nvidia, under some versions of Vista and win7 as well as one case of XP, it makes the videocards work at 100% activity, with heat building up pretty fast !

THERE IS A HIGH CHANCE that your video card WILL GET BURNED !

So be careful guys when you leave your EU in login screen for more than 30-60 seconds !

EDIT: Indeed this is a bug, LOG IN Screen HAS NO reason to use 100% Of the graphic cards since the actual game uses 50-60% ! and crysis no more than 80 ! So there is some stupid code in the login screen... I am not saying it will burn in 60 seconds but some MAY ! So be careful ESPECIALLY if you have PASSIVE cooling !

Yep even ingame sometimes in some places the videocard overheats luckily i have a program that warns me when that happens both for my GPU (Videocard) and for my CPU (Processor) but it has only warned me once and shut down my cpu because of overheating, the thing is i have a top of the line computer set and a nice and cooled chassi. Guess I have to invest in a coolant system now also =(

/Nixon

That's sick, yeah I noticed this in old client also...What happened to just limiting the framerate to whatever the screen setting is?

The fan of my gfxcard kept going at high speed even after the game quit, probable because of the crashes though. Had to restart my computer to make it silent again.

This might well be a real problem. Essentially, it's to do with throttling of the refresh rate; the ideal refresh rate of the card is no more than maybe double the refresh rate of your monitor. The reason is probably obvious.

What happens is this: Not much (OK, maybe nothing) is happening on the screen, so if the GFX card is set to refresh the screen as fast as possible then the refresh rate goes up to a very high level, which causes heat stress that may be too much for the cooling system.

Another game (the one with spaceships in it) had a similar problem recently; sitting in station doing nothing led to refresh rates sometimes in the hundreds of FPS and, yes, sometimes burnt-out graphics cards. The solution is actually quite simple; make the game's default graphics setting include "vertical sync" thus throttling the card's refresh rate.

And a problem like this should have been caught in early alpha or earlier. I am not at all impressed with MA.

i fear logging in... need an offical word from MA, is this a bug? or will we always need to re-buy our graphics cards after every log in ?

What exactly is "vertical sync"?

You might wanna check if you're fans are indeed running at 100% when the card is under full load. I had some weird problems when i first got my asus 3870 because the fansettings on the card were incorrect so the temperature was rising fast. It was only after i installed Rivatuner and set the settings myself that the card ran stable and cool.

Back