Cures for Hiccups???

MudKicker

HERES MUD IN YER EYE!
Society
THE THREAT
Muddy MudKicker Helmet
I just heard of a cure for hiccups that made me laugh. :laugh:

....Hold yer breath and think of the names of 7 bald men, Yule Brenner dosnt count, lol.

Have yet to try it, but Im gonna next time I gottem... ;)

Anyone else have any??? :dunno:

LOL- RANDOM post Mud! :laugh:
Hmm- I suffer from dibilitating hiccups when i do get them :( It sucks... so loud you can hear me upstairs/downstairs :laugh:

In any event, nothing seems to help. not water. not holding my breath. not breathing into a paper bag

Must try the bald men experiment next :D

when i get the hiccups i drink lemonade :eek:

what causes hiccups anyway? ;)

Hitman said:
when i get the hiccups i drink lemonade :eek:

what causes hiccups anyway? ;)

Supposedly improper breathing... I think it has more to do with exhaling rather than inhaling, however ;)

Some "facts" that I think I should quote:

"Hic!" You've just hiccuped for what seems like the tenth time since you finished your big dinner. Wonder where these funny noises are coming from? The part to blame is your diaphragm (say: die-uh-fram). This is a dome-shaped muscle at the bottom of your chest, and all hiccups start here.

The diaphragm almost always works perfectly. It pulls down when you inhale to help pull air into the lungs, and it pushes up when you exhale to help push air out of the lungs. But sometimes the diaphragm becomes irritated, and when this happens, it pushes up in a jerky way that makes your breath come out differently from how it normally does. When this irregular breath hits your voice box, you're left with a big hiccup.

Some things that irritate the diaphragm are eating too quickly or too much, an irritation in the stomach or the throat, or feeling nervous or excited. Almost all cases of the hiccups last only a few minutes. Some cases of the hiccups can last for days or weeks, but this is very unusual, and it's usually a sign of another medical problem.

You've probably heard lots of suggestions for how to get rid of hiccups, and maybe you've even tried a few. Holding your breath and counting to 10 is one way some people can get rid of their hiccups; other people say that drinking from the "wrong" side of a glass of water is the way to become hiccup-free. Putting sugar under your tongue might work, too. And maybe the most famous treatment - having someone jump out and scare you when you're not expecting it - helps some people wave good-bye to their hiccups.

Now my expirience:
I get hipccups when I do things that irritate the diaphragm
(it's a muscle that separetes the torax from the abdomen and is one of the muscles involved in the respiration), (The hipccups itself is a reflex).

You can irritate the diaphragm is several ways:
1)If you eat too much your stomach will dilate and will put pressure on the diaphragm.
2)If you are eating too fast the passage of the food from the esophagous to the stomach can irritate it because A) the food pieces are too big; B) you are nervous.
3)If you are nervous you don't even need to be eating because everybody is most of the time using its esophagous-> saliva is produced and it must go somewhere; other stuff is also produced ;)

4) Medical conditions:
If you do have hipccups for no appearent reason, or if you do have them very often you should seek medical attention ASAP.
Some times its due to an inate situation that can't be improved and is benign.

But most of the times is due to a life threating situation
->Cancer.
Althought it doesn't usually is cause for alarm if you are under 50 because it is very very rare before that age.
Cancer causes hipccups because it creates a mass (the cancer) the irritates the diafragm. [Either esophagous cancer or stomach cancer can do it but if it is stomach is far worse because it only causes it in a very late part of its evolutions (=you are in deep trouble)].

How to improve a crisis of hipccups if you happen to have it.
To my expirience this is the best way:

Every method that works follows the same principle :
Relax the nerveous path ways that control the diaphragm.

So hiperventilate for 4-5 minutes.
And hold your breath for 40-50 seconds.

(you might need to do this a couple of times, the deep and fast inspirations-expirations [hiperventilation] is only required fo you to be able to hold your breath for a period over 30 seconds, after 1 or 2 sequences you shouldn't need it for the remain of the process. If after holding your breath 10 times for a period over 30 seconds doens't work them you might have a real medical problem, P.S never took me that many times . usually 2-3 )

Why is that ?
If you hiperventilate you can hold your breath for a longer period of time.
If you hold the respiration sequence you are resting the diaphragm so the irritation can pass easier.

[Note to attention: some people shouldn't hiperventilate because they will loose consciousness just because of it (a normal person might take over 1 hour of heavy hiperventilation before he passes out therfore most people shouldn't so it either unless they have a goal for it).

I hope this helps you.

Last edited:
Svetlana said:
LOL- RANDOM post Mud! :laugh:
Hmm- I suffer from dibilitating hiccups when i do get them :( It sucks... so loud you can hear me upstairs/downstairs :laugh:

In any event, nothing seems to help. not water. not holding my breath. not breathing into a paper bag

Must try the bald men experiment next :D
Hepp, I tgoo suffer from loud hiccups. When I get it, I get it LOUD. I remember a few years back I was at this club and I started getting hiccup. And right when the music stopped (and everyone find themself shouting to eachother) I -HIC-ed. So loud I was called Hanne The Hiccup for a few weeks after
:rolleyes: :laugh:

And *points up* Your scaary...

I once heard that a man was plagued by hiccups his ENTIRE LIFE :eek: Perhaps just an urban myth, but if not that would be awful

Svetlana said:
I once heard that a man was plagued by hiccups his ENTIRE LIFE :eek: Perhaps just an urban myth, but if not that would be awful

well, the current world record is 8 years, he was old when he got them and he died b4 getting rid of them, lol.

Maby there is a link bettwen hivups and exsesive posting on EF sev :D

I heard if you hiccup and sneeze and cough at the same time you'll die because the heart can get interrupted by the violent episode.... supposedly...

Joey said:
I heard if you hiccup and sneeze and cough at the same time you'll die because the heart can get interrupted by the violent episode.... supposedly...

ROTFLMAO!!!! That would hurt!!!! :eek:

Holding my breathe and drinking as much water as I can until I HAVE to breathe again, always works for me. My wife however insists the you have to drink water upside down thru a straw. To do this she sits on the couch, puts her feet where her head would be and her head where her feet would be. Sets the glass of water, with the straw in it, on the floor in front of her and drinks. On the other hand, my mother in-law swears that a spoon full of sugar takes care of it. I guess it's a 'What ever works for you' kind of thing. Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I had hiccups. :scratch: Maybe beer is the cure? :eek:

I know you all will think I'm a quack after this post...

But here goes... and yes, it's grose.

The reason people get hiccups...

Something you ate, is clogging the bottom valve of your stomach. Something that was not chewed enough.

The hiccupping is an involuntary action to "pull a vacume" on the lodged material. Some of these "snake-oil" remedies tend to work because it either forces it through (holding breath) or pulls it back up (upside down).

Now ya know. :dunce:

if i take a deep breath and try to forget about my hicups they normalls go away. My key i think is just dont think about them and they will go

Back