PlanetCalypsoForum.com :: Entropia Universe Discussion and Resources
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 ... LastLast
    Qatesh
    Society
    Freelancer
    Images

Exclamation Consumer rights and Entropia

I have been wondering about this since VU 10.

When you buy something you are usually entitled to the item you paid for. If you buy a porche then you expect to get a porche and you don't expect the seller to come to your house after 3 days with a sledgehammer to reshape the roof and remove the wheels.

With VU 10 all of calypso was remade for the new engine, and obviously nobody can expect it to look the same before / after, however:

This was my outback land 25 before the vu:

And this is after:

What I paid for was a flat "perfect" hunting area where you could tag mobs at the end of the radar if you only had a weapon that could shoot far enough. Now it's basically a big hillside with a river cutting it in half making it really unpleasant to hunt in and mostly suited for melee weapons. over 100k was spent on DNA on this mob that now is easier to hunt on eudoria due to these changes.

Many of my other areas suffered a similar faith;

LA 20 ((ex?) longu land):

LA 41 (new switzerland):

I made a point out of buying lands that were flat, close to tp and good for hunting. After vu 10.0 all but one of my LAs was moved further away from TP's, and drastically reshaped. After contacting MA about the issue they actually moved some TPs around to make up for some of it and for that I am grateful, but for instance outback land 29 which was right next to emerald TP is now miles away from anything. New Switzerland which I paid over 500k ped for due to being one of two land areas that had a TP INSIDE it now no longer has any tp in it, and the 3 fairly good hunting areas there are now gone and replaced by a fancy looking road cutting through the entire area. Don't get me wrong, it looks great, but I just don't see it bringing any income. Even mining is tough there since the area is full of hills you can't climb.

Before vu 10 I had no areas with rivers in them, and all areas with exception of LA 41 were really flat and ideal for hunting and therefor paid more than the average land area price to acquire these. Now I have 4 areas that have huge rivers splitting them up and vast mountains in most of them that you cannot even get up on. The bottom line for me is that due to these changes these LAs no longer contains that extra edge I paid greatly for and thus are no longer worth what they were before the vu. The value of the LAs has simply been reduced.

My question is this; To what extent are we entitled to "get what we paid for" in entropia? Can MA change the stats of an imk2 overnight so the eco is that of an opalo? Do we have any consumer rights in Entropia with regards to these things? We are after all talking about considerable amounts of money here.

Elite
    This member has helped support PlanetCalypsoForum in the past via donations.
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Society
    GD
    Images
    I agree, this complete overhaul of the LA's (Location and topography wise) was not a good idea from MA at all.

IMO it will seriously undermine the confidence to make future substantial investments in this game.
    Location and topography are some of the most important factors of LA's together with DNA offcourse.

Changing these 2 aspects completely overnight is not a good thing. It changes the value of a land area completely.

This would be the same as changing mod fap stats to only 30 heal or mod merc to only 20 rpm.

I really hope that MA will reconsider the changes they made to the LA's and rather try to get them close to the look they had pre VU-10 again.

Man, talk about a major pain in the ass.

In real life, I buy land in the best part of town, I build up a business, get a ton of customors and booommm, the city put in a new freeway and it cut my area in half. OK, what happens then? I really don't know. Can you sue anyone? Would be nice to see what a lawer in their home country would say, would love to see that answer.

Good luck to you dude

Seoul

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    Naomi Polder
    Society
    Rangers
    Images

Cool sorry to hear

sorry to hear
    and I can only say that you're right

Naomi

Guardian
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    MaryJane Jugs Pendragon
    Society
    Supremacy Reign HQ
    Images
    Wow 2 big MA diss pages in one day!

I am very sorry to see your land areas are now land fills, You would think that MA would have let Land owners in on placing thier LA's, or atleast made land area pads similiar to shopkeeper pads, but when deployed they claim the land you choose for yourself(although this wouldnt be fair to those LA owners that cant log in)

Old
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Maikel Crazios Crienen
    Society
    SoF
    I ended up hunting at your armax la a few days ago, and it is indeed a horrible place to hunt compared to what it used to be. realy sad to see

I hope ma flattens out the world a bit more in the future, not just for you but for everyone so we can enjoy playing entropia a bit more.
    Living in Entropia since 2003-10-29

Guardian
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    MaryJane Jugs Pendragon
    Society
    Supremacy Reign HQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Seoul View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In real life, I buy land in the best part of town, I build up a business, get a ton of customors and booommm, the city put in a new freeway and it cut my area in half. OK, what happens then? I really don't know. Can you sue anyone? Would be nice to see what a lawer in their home country would say, would love to see that answer.

Good luck to you dude

Seoul
    Here in america it is called eminent domain, the government can take your land and give you whatever compensation they choose, if any at all. happened to an old man that lived down the road from me while i was growing up. they literally made him move his House(not a trailer, a real house) and all for a stupid 4 lane highway!

Katielicious mallow (Kat)
    Society
    Kaos
    A fascinating question.

To address it one has to ask - what have you actualy bought?
    Have you bought a virtual piece of land or a right to participate in a profit share on a virtual piece of land.

I don't really think there is any straightforward answer to this one. Clearly whatever "rights" you have are limited because you cannot make any changes to your land - you can only add or remove mobs and not make any structural changes. This unfortunately supports my earlier point about the right to participate.

However there is another interesting line to be addressed and that is what representations were made to you to induce you to enter into the contract to be this participation right. This may give you an angle.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Adam WantsSome Beer
    Society
    Irken Invaders
    Images
    Very interesting indeed. They kinda went overboard with all the Mountains everywhere....calylpso must be a really earthquake prone place

MA knows people who made big purchases in game made them for a reason and they should have contacted you about it prior to making such a drastic change, or at least work with you on it.

I hope somehow this gets sorted for you. I for one would be ok with seeing less mountains overall. I dont think that is likely though anytime soon.
    ( . )( . )

Guardian
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    MaryJane Jugs Pendragon
    Society
    Supremacy Reign HQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by heineken View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I for one would be ok with seeing less mountains overall. I dont think that is likely though anytime soon.
    I for 1 will be the first to say, leave it as it is, they will probly mess it up more if they take out the mountains. Instead of mountains, you will probly have lakes. And to add on top of that, if any changes are made to calypso terrain, it should be reverting back to the way it used to be, wont be to hard to do, im sure they still have the old heightmaps and texturemaps laying around somewhere, just a matter of importing them into cry2(not that hard, just toss it in the folder and hit generate terrain select the heightmap and texture map and in 10 minutes or so, depending on pc, youve got the old terrain in cry2. I know this because i am currently using a game engine that is very similiar to cry2)

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 ... LastLast