Beginners Guide

Not sure what the point of that list is? Because really, for most of those your skills will be even lower. To actaully get a sensible list, you need to restrict it to "laser". Your blp skills will be lower and your support weapons / melee skills are probably nonexistent if you have just used laser carbines.
that tangent migrated to here
My skills are not absolutely new, but they are a lot newer than the 100 which Entropedia defaults to. I'd love to see the results from someone fresh off the Gateway scanning their skills, uploading them to Entropedia, and comparing the Opalo+a101, Kiwio Mk.II, and Emik s30. Until that happens (if it ever does), we can exaggerate the differences between 7 and 100 slightly and find something very like the situation of level 1.

As a side note, my skills are not restricted to Laser. I've put rather comparable amounts of time and peds into each of the weapon types exemplified in that list. The resulting skill levels differ, but wait one second here - by just how much can a handful of levels' difference skew our projection from 100 off 7? :lolup:

Lefty brings up a good point.
I realize that everyone will come out of the Gateway with different skills.
But from a skilling vs cost perspective, I'd recommend everyone stay in the Gateway as long as possible to gain as many cheap and easy skills as possible. But from a realistic perspective, people don't sign up for Planet Calypso just to grind skill in the Gateway, they sign up to get into the game, and the gateway is just a quick tutorial area. Besides that it gets boring to stay in one place too long.
I would be interested in hearing from someone who did stay a long time in the Gateway to maximize skill gains from there, and see what stats they pulled out of it.
I am also working on rewording certain sections of this guide to emphasize sticking to one weapon category. Because even though people don't gain as many overall skills they tend to have more fun not worrying about when to swap to the next weapon. And sometimes it is more important to encourage new players to have fun than skill grind.
Oh, I'll keep the skill grind suggestions, because there are a few crazy people like me out there who like that, but it will not be the emphasis anymore.
So much to write and review... please be patient and keep the suggestions flowing.

Edit: Question answered in another thread

Last edited:
Lefty brings up a good point.
I realize that everyone will come out of the Gateway with different skills.
But from a skilling vs cost perspective, I'd recommend everyone stay in the Gateway as long as possible to gain as many cheap and easy skills as possible. But from a realistic perspective, people don't sign up for Planet Calypso just to grind skill in the Gateway, they sign up to get into the game, and the gateway is just a quick tutorial area. Besides that it gets boring to stay in one place too long.

Fuega, I saw you've been away so perhaps you missed some developments on Calypso. The Kiwio Mk. II (along with ammo) is available at the trade terminal on Calypso now, and there are puny mobs just outside of PA. So I can't see any real advantage anymore to staying in the Gateway longer than needed to complete the missions. Even if you are just sweating punies, you might as well come to Calypso where you can sell the sweat (in theory, anyway).

Fuega, I saw you've been away so perhaps you missed some developments on Calypso. The Kiwio Mk. II (along with ammo) is available at the trade terminal on Calypso now, and there are puny mobs just outside of PA. So I can't see any real advantage anymore to staying in the Gateway longer than needed to complete the missions. Even if you are just sweating punies, you might as well come to Calypso where you can sell the sweat (in theory, anyway).
^ I agree, except I don't think that encouraging newcomers to the game to expect money from sweat is a good idea. It might suffice to say something like, when you are bored of the Gateway, you can go do the same thing in the Port Atlantis area? with of course the caveat that we can't go back once we leave

Time for the huge update is finally here. I am inserting it currently.
Every section got something changed added or reworded. Lots of things changed. Even some perspectives.
It took me several days to research, rewrite and review this.
After that many hours of staring at this update to my guide over the holidays I may have missed something,
if I did please let me know.
Thanks - Fuega :yay:

Great guide thanks!

:wise: really gr8 guide....

THANK YOU!!! FOR THIS GUIDE!! :yay: :yay: :yay:

Very nice guide you have made.

There might be some good information about Calypso for newcomers in our Touristic Guide.

Very handy for finding all TP's and where to hunt certain mobs.

Link

Last edited:
Wow thanks!

I followed your guide, and all I can really say is thanks sooo much! This has helped me a lot!

(First account post!)

great info in your guide, answered some questions i didnt even have before i read it. thanks and keep up the great work.:yup::yup::yup:

another short update

now reflects the addition of Genesis and minor tweeks

+ Rep to you Fuega.

Just came across your Guide. Dont know how I have missed it before.

Alice's started me on my way many years ago however yours simplifies the starting in eu.

If I had read it and followed it when I first started in EU I would have been better of pedwise.

A great effort and I hope everyone realise the work you have put into this.:yay:

Cheers Jung

Hi! ^_^

Nice Guide...^_^ Been away from EU for quite some time reading these updated guides is helping fill in the gaps...

updated the guide and the tools chart to reflect the change in mining and refining

I didn't know that had got messed up. Thank you Barbarian.
Fixed :)

Its been like 7 months since I updated this, so I put a lot of time into this update and made lots of changes.
Lately I have also been doing more research on hunting economically and using enhancers.

So the big change was joining the OPALO camp.
I know, I know, you have been preaching that I recommend this weapon for a long time and only using it.
I even bought one and have been using it a lot of the time myself lately.

After researching all the weapons that you max out under level 20, and now adding in the use of economy enhancers, I came up with this:
There are more economical rifles than the Opalo, but they either max out at level 100 or they are (L).
For a starting player it is very uneconomical to use something that maxes at lvl 100, and it doesn't make sense to tier something up if it is (L).
The Opalo maxes at level 5 with 3.095 dam/pec with 10 enhancers and an A101.
Besides there are all those cool player run Opalo only events.

I also recommended the Falx sword from NI. It maxes out at 3.174 dam/pec with 10 enhancers.
And I recommended the Herb Box from NI with economy enhancers.

Even if you don't use enhancers the Opalo and Falx are very economical starter weapons that max out efficiency at 10/10 very early.

I wont even mention all the minor wording changes :)

Fuega!!!

awesome Job, first chance I have had to read it :cool:

These are the things I wish I had when I first started EU :eyecrazy:

Grimyth Salty

It's an awesome guide, helped me a lot too :)

This is a fantastic beginners guide, thanks for putting it together (and keeping it updated)!

Very very good read and guidelines to my returning :yay:

Very good guide with awesome quality.. But it need to be edited, so much new things now.. I probably will translate this guide for my russian EU portal.

Thanks for giving a complete guide on beginners guide.
It is really helpful for the beginners:)
I dont think you have left anything for suggestion but your work must be appreciated as you have given a complete tutorial.
Thanks for sharing and posting it.

Back