Info: Resuming a failed download

SnowLeopard

Stalker
Society
Guess Who
Gray SnowLeopard Felix
Like many others, I encountered problems downloading the 10.3.0 VU, mostly because the brain-dead download process did not let me select the download location -- my C drive is full and that's why I bought a D! (But this isn't a rant about the idiocy of not being able to select which folders to install in and which to use as temp and download locations)

I thought the Bittorrent/DNA download had worked having received ~3GB, but the installer was getting stuck on Textures.pak and asking to "please insert disk #2". I found a post about that error which basically translates to "the file is corrupt".

Instead of redownloading 3GB, I tried to use the command-line utility WGET to resume the download from the HTTP location, and it worked!

From a command prompt, in the directory where the partial Update_10.3.0.0-10.3.0.35944.exe was saved, I ran:
Code:
wget -c http://dlmirror.entropiauniverse.com/Update_10.3.0.0-10.3.0.35944.exe Update_10.3.0.0-10.3.0.35944.exe
and it downloaded 59MB I was missing from the installer file.

There are other tools that allow resuming a partial HTTP download, but you'll have to find them yourself.

Back