Ubuntu 9.10 and EU Ver 10+

eoden13

Stalker
Society
Classified
Eoden Asmodeus Rydar
I have been thinking about converting to Ubuntu from Windows but don't want to give up EU. Does anyone know the best way to get EU installed on Ubuntu 9.10? Does the latest version work with cryengine?

Thanks

unfortunately, not a chance!

Unfortunately, you stand pretty much no chance of getting the Eu client to work under Ubuntu. Windows environment reproduction with WINE is getting better, and some early DirectX games work, but CryEngine is asking just a bit too much ;)

What you could do is dual-boot the system. This means to install two operating systems on your computer, and select which one to boot at startup. Ubuntu has a great installer, and can shrink your Windows partition for you. Just make sure you back everything important up (hey, it's a risky procedure!) and defrag your windows partition before you start.

An alternative option would be to add another hard drive into your machine, and install Ubuntu onto that, then you won't have to shrink the windows partition.

Another option would be to install vmware or something alike on your Ubuntu-system and install some Windows in that virtual machine. Though, you really need a fast machine to be able to play. And even then I'm not sure if it works since all the graphics stuff has to get through vmware to your screen.

Hmm... Seems like for now Windows 7 wins out for me. Thanks for explaining that one out for me.

just dual boot.
i use windows on my mac only for entropia when i am traveling...the rest of the time i am on mac side...my desktop is strictly windows and all that is on it is entropia...

Another option would be to install vmware or something alike on your Ubuntu-system and install some Windows in that virtual machine. Though, you really need a fast machine to be able to play. And even then I'm not sure if it works since all the graphics stuff has to get through vmware to your screen.

I'm not sure about VMWare, but it doesn't work in VirtualBox =o(

something about DirectX needs direct access to your video card, and VM's add a layer there. the client loader even says you have an unsupported graphics card, and if I remember right it wouldn't even try to start the game. like was said, WINE is getting there ... but CryEngine is a bit rough. best just to dual-boot.

just dual boot.
i use windows on my mac only for entropia when i am traveling...the rest of the time i am on mac side...my desktop is strictly windows and all that is on it is entropia...

what this man says :p

I am using mandriva on one comp and i just dualboot vista to play EU or various other games =)

It is possible to play Crysis and Crysis Warhead on Ubuntu through WINE...
but I'm not sure if they used a program to do that. And even then, those programs normally only play mainstream games. Sadly...I doubt there would be support for EU.

You can always download the Ubuntu ISO, and run it as a live disk, then see if it works. But the restrictions might be some trouble.:mad:

I'm not sure about VMWare, but it doesn't work in VirtualBox =o(

something about DirectX needs direct access to your video card, and VM's add a layer there. the client loader even says you have an unsupported graphics card, and if I remember right it wouldn't even try to start the game. like was said, WINE is getting there ... but CryEngine is a bit rough. best just to dual-boot.

It did work in VMWare before cryengine but now its too demanding

I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 and I cannot run the game with Wine. I just have a partition with WinXP and run it from there ;)

Search around, Im pretty sure someone had it running in vmware recently. Another option would be to run windows as your main os and play eu on it, and have a vm that you run ubuntu on. If your only using windows to run eu and the single vm, then It likely wont get cluttered and full of viruses nearly as fast.

narfi

Found the following:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En-nDkSWO_U[/YOUTUBE]

Seems to "run" and looking at the resolution he used it might actually be somehow "playable" if you go to the lowest possible.
Not up-to-date with Linux, but I think to really run it halfway smoothly you will pretty surely need a bit more than an ordinary four core PC. A company is going to offer any game (both PC and console) over broadband, they use a few clusters and surely quite some serious VM soft. Would enable you to play Crysis even in a browser window.

Question is, do you really need Ubuntu or Linux?
If you just want to play around, maybe better install Ubuntu in a VM than try it the other way. Sometimes it is better to try out different OS before switching, quite a waste of time to switch for good and find out that SunOS might be better :D

edith:
just found this [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdv1Um243Z8[/YOUTUBE]

looks quite good, if it is real

Last edited:
I use vmware player (free!) on a stripped down debian, and EU runs just fine.

Interestingly with vmware on windows, I can not see text.

bump. Any tips on making this work? Also, here's a really bizzare question - anyone got EU it to work on windows 98 lately?!?... In theory, win 98 uses fewer resources then xp or vista... ?...

Also, here's a really bizzare question - anyone got EU it to work on windows 98 lately?!?

Would any modern drivers (both video and sound) even work on Win98? If not, it's probably time better spent trying to get it to work well under an alternate OS, lol.

bump. Any tips on making this work? Also, here's a really bizzare question - anyone got EU it to work on windows 98 lately?!?... In theory, win 98 uses fewer resources then xp or vista... ?...

Current Vmware player and workstation with Windows 7 both work fine for me on x86_64 with dual geforce 8800s. I've tested under Debian Squeeze, Ubuntu 10, and a "linux from scratch" environment. You have to turn the 3d-accel on in vm settings, of course. You also need a *LOT* of ram in your system... enough to give the vm a few gb (2+) and have a few gb (2+) free on the host side (the "virtual 3d accel" basically requires 2 copies of all of the scene data in ram!) and still have enough left over to run the system itself, X, alsa daemon, etc. I use fluxbox or lwm, as KDE/Gnome eat up WAY too much ram to make it work.

You can't push the graphics far, but it's playable in customized low-to-medium settings, especially fullscreen.

It also helps some to use a "raw partition" virtual disk, instead of a file image based virtual disk. With a "normal" file .vdk you're looking at upwards of a minute wait time after a teleport, for example, to load the new scenery/images/music/etc... compared to the "normal" 5-10 seconds.

It will not work with vmware on win98.

Current trunk builds of wine "work" but only in safe-mode, and you crash randomly. It looks like there is a lot of work being done on the directx in wine at the moment, so in another month or two it may become a real option.

Virtualbox trunk builds and parallels on an intel mac also "work" but are mostly unplayable from graphics problems. They both have a longer ways to go than wine or vmware.

--Arti

good to hear that at least it's somewhat possible.

Current trunk builds of wine "work" but only in safe-mode, and you crash randomly. It looks like there is a lot of work being done on the directx in wine at the moment, so in another month or two it may become a real option.

--Arti

Thanks for the update on wine. I am the supermaintainer on winehq appdb but haven't tried it for a few months. Always, i think "They are working heavily on DX--this should be working real soon now." :laugh:

Have you been able to successfully update the client through wine? I've not had luck with that recently.

downloading eu via wine now... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1441315 - read post number 8 about changing the default program to open the exe...

not sure it'll work or not since gnome, the default window system for ubuntu uses quite a bit of ram... but we'll give it a try... only 6:53:09 left in download time... fun times.

downloading eu via wine now... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1441315 - read post number 8 about changing the default program to open the exe...

not sure it'll work or not since gnome, the default window system for ubuntu uses quite a bit of ram... but we'll give it a try... only 6:53:09 left in download time... fun times.

I don't think the mouse capture bug that affects many games has been fixed yet. Before, when i was able to get the game running in wine, it always was very limited because of that bug.

yep, there's some sort of bug or something. I get a little error message with a red x in it and an ok button and nothing else when I click launch

yep, there's some sort of bug or something. I get a little error message with a red x in it and an ok button and nothing else when I click launch

It's definitely more involved than just downloading and installing. I think it's still necessary to install DirectX, some Visual Studio runtime files, etc. See the winehq AppDB page on EU for an idea what was necessary as of a while ago.

It's definitely more involved than just downloading and installing. I think it's still necessary to install DirectX, some Visual Studio runtime files, etc. See the winehq AppDB page on EU for an idea what was necessary as of a while ago.

wmp9, gecko, DirectX9, and vcrun2005sp1 at least if I recall right ... maybe that vcredist that a lot of people needed to get to fix that 'side-by-side' error as well. also probably have to borrow a .dll or two from a windows install.

That's what I can pull just from memory ... I think I tried once since 10.04 and it froze after the login screen and I gave up.

Say, maybe I can play from home now instead of just from work! At home I'm a .deb myself, might have to get more ram, def. upgrade my connection but what is VM Player and how do I get it? That or I'll try again later when WINE catches up.

:lam:

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

Unless they made it easier, you had to use a 3rd party app or website to actually make your virtual hard disk, then you could 'boot up' your hard disk in VMWare and load on your OS and be good from there. It's been a while since I've used it, tho ... I abandoned it in favor of VirtualBox since it was SO much easier to use at the time, but VB has some restrictions that'll make PE impossible to play on it, like a max of 128MB virtual video card. I don't even think PE would let me even try to play with the way my video card showed up in the Client Loader running an XP VM.

Though it's been some time since I've used either, lol ... used to dual-boot and try WINE when I wanted to test stuff.

wmp9, gecko, DirectX9, and vcrun2005sp1 at least if I recall right ... maybe that vcredist that a lot of people needed to get to fix that 'side-by-side' error as well. also probably have to borrow a .dll or two from a windows install.
guess I'll try to get all of that stuff... Good to play around to learn this sort of stuff. In the long run, it might be cheaper to just go out and buy a new fresh installation of Windows 7 or Vista, but I like tinkering around with technology... Later this year we were planning on a hardware upgrade anyways, so if it does not work out on Linux, it's no major problem, I just can't restock the shop for a few months... if last year was any indication, that should not matter much anyways since the number of shop sales usually declines in summer months as people actually go outside sometimes.

Back