11-23-2009 on venturebeat.com: Next Island to launch sci-fi adventure virtual world — with time travel

Tass

Guardian
Society
Adopt a Newbie Foundation
Next Island to launch sci-fi adventure virtual world — with time travel

- "Its private beta begins in less than 30 days"

- "The company plans to launch an open beta in January and then launch the full world in the spring"

- "Next Island is already promoting itself in the Planet Calypso community, which numbers around a million" :eek:

- "In the game, players can complete missions"

- "The company now has 24 employees."

- "it plans to close on a $500,000 bridge loan and then raise a $3 million round"

- and many more

- and more interesting information.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aly
nice find Tass ;)

Closed Beta for a month then open beta....hmmm so those in the closed beta will know all about the quests and how to complete them before the rest of us?

Sounds like exactly the reason MA hasn't done (or atleast not openly done) any closed beta's.Seems like a nice headstart.

How do i get in on the closed Beta then?

I wonder when that article interview was completed. I conducted an interview with David. He told me that and it is podcasted for prosperity that there is a closed internal happening now and Next Island open beta will be going live on Dec. 15th

The way they are considereing it Dec 15 is a Soft Launch and the Hard Launch will be March-April. You will start seeing mainstream advertising and marketing after new years. It will include Television coverages.

The way they are considereing it Dec 15 is a Soft Launch and the Hard Launch will be March-April. You will start seeing mainstream advertising and marketing after new years. It will include Television coverages.

Marco, Neverdie, David Post, anyone... if you are reading this... it sounds like it's time to put your resources together and do an advertisement during the Superbowl! :) ;) (if it's too late to get that going, maybe you can buy the air time from Godaddy or someone else that's regularly advertising there to bring in the masses)

I second the idea...It would hit so many faces it is not even funny.

We could make it a community thing even where everyone pitches in a few bucks, and before you know it we will have a 10-15sec time slot.

If not this year next year....:)

Correction I just followed up with Mr. Post. They will be running a closed Beta for 1 month targeting non EU players to evaluate the Newbie Experience with the Planet.

Thanks for the link. Plus rep.

Whose excited? I am. :yay:

So will this open beta be like pre-gold back in the old days for PE?

..."Next Island is already promoting itself in the Planet Calypso community, which numbers around a million" :eek:

Well, if we players count all the people that we interact with in the real world, we're around a million. Perhaps that's the phrasing they should have used for truth in advertising. :laugh:

Well, if we players count all the people that we interact with in the real world, we're around a million. Perhaps that's the phrasing they should have used for truth in advertising. :laugh:

Truth in advertising... Never let the truth get in the way of a good story... :D

if its closed beta, and none of you are part of the closed Beta (obviously by your questions and confusion).....

How do you know it hasnt started, and us that were chosen arent playing already on Next Island?

:laugh:

I just realized the oddity when you combine...

...this statement:

"Post said his company is raising a round of money. First it plans to close on a $500,000 bridge loan and then raise a $3 million round after the world gets some traction."

...taken form the article on venturebeat.com

...and this question:

"I am looking to find the number of users of virtual worlds in the US. I have heard lots of different numbers and they are so vastly different. Anyone who can help would be appreciated. can be with the kids or without. Thank you
David Post - Next Island"

...posted on associationofvirtualworlds.com.

As a bank counselor, would you give them a 500.000$ bridge loan? ;)

now that's a shitload of bullshit :D
1 mil ? yeaaaa sure
3 mil $ ? Gl wil that

Time travel back to the real pre gold age and then buy shit load of Shadow and then travel back to 2008 to make some cash, or just travel back to 2008 and sell out then :)

Back