FYI: Trust Scammers

+rep comming

My advice to anyone is that they should not loan their items to anyone... ever.

exactly!! might be hard sometime, but u NEVER know the person on the other side.
Also
money spoil people.

The courts will recognize your ownership of that item and they will recognize the value.

however, this seems to me unbelievable, r u sure?
i can imagine this can work out if ur account was hacked
but not when u LEND someone an item:scratch2:

Never lend value items that's all learnt the hard way myself, if you lend something valuable make sure its to your best friend who lives VERY close to you.

Courts won’t waste their time with trivial amounts of money however if it is a substantial amount then you have a case.

You can’t expect the authorities to handle the legal process for you. You would have to be the one who presses charges

Thank you for info. +rep comming.

Good thread.
But i don't see so usefull information here that no one could know already.
:bs:

Thats not true. Very few people provenly have problems knowing what to do when they get scammed.

I do not see the reason why my post was -repped. it was very much on topic and is a solution to this problem. I was not 'hijacking' the thread and i'm not sad enough to name who it was but you know who you are so go get a life.

I do not see the reason why my post was -repped. it was very much on topic and is a solution to this problem. I was not 'hijacking' the thread and i'm not sad enough to name who it was but you know who you are so go get a life.

I just gave you a +rep to offset the neg rep you got from someone.

I agree with your post by the way :)

Simon the wastelander asked me to give him 1 dung for a spaceship.

I gave him 2 dungs !and then he will say he give me one of his spaceships , parked next to NAZ...

But he didnt give me any keys ... he said he lost the key somewhere in the grass area... I cant find it ...

Maybe Jot the Guide took it... hmmm

Anyone found a key near NAZ>?

thank you veyr much.

Hmmmm, guess you gave two shits for Space travel, huh?

I know there's a no name policy here in the forums, but it might be neat if someone could compile a list of all public documents related to these cases, and/or copy them in to a website or posting here on the forums if possible. If it was actually done in a court system, I'm assuming the documents should be public knowledge?...

It exist other EU related forums where they dont have this no name policy.

Nice thread Max :)

It's sad some of the lengths people will go to swindle some items from someone who thought they were their friend.

Maybe one day MA will take some steps to make our items a little bit safer while still being able to help our friends, or be helped by them.

always good to make ppl aware

sad but true, it cant be said often enough to be careful to avoid getting scammed.

I am a very trusty person irl and it hurts to have to be suspicious at all times.

Good info.

Maybe off-topic, but anyone knows what happens if you lent items to someone and that other person dies irl?
MA will give them back?

I have to say, the OP has it nailed down to the button, sure i assume most people would love to borrow a good fap, a good gun, or whatnot, and some might not have enough collateral to do so.

In retrospect as one evolves in the universe, collateral is really a must either way, unless you live close enough to the person borrowing items for a good asswhooping should something go wrong (but make sure the item is small enough that an asswhooping would solve things).

Me personally, still wish i could borrow "lesser items" from time to time, but allways with collateral of the same value.

The problem with collateral is often that either you are over-collaterating, under-collaterating, or collaterating with pure ped, all of these three are equally atrocious as in case 1, YOU can get scammed, in case 2 YOU could still scam the other party (for the measily peds its worth?), and in case 3, the person you give your peds to as collateral might notice that he could claim it was a sale.

So this whole collaterating thing has to be a very delicate equilibrium to work, and make sure that if you are lending your item out, the collateral is something that would a) cover more or less exactly your losses, b) be an item you know you can sell rather easily if you dont want to use it.

IF, however, you choose to either lend out without collateral, or borrow without collateral, i humbly ask that you atleast take the time to get to know this person first.

Heres a trust scam that my friend was a victim too:

It all started with my friend meeting a girl in EU, they chatted for a long time the first meet, and started to enjoy eachothers company. Time flew by, they enjoyed several nice hunts and got to know eachother quite well it seemed.

Then the time came, over a year after they had first met, when suddenly, the female avatar was without a gun in mid hunt, so my friend lent him he's pistol (todays value is well over 50,000 ped, was much less "back then"), they hunt and have fun, loot is rather good and everything is fine, untill...

Suddenly this female loggs off before the hunt is complete, never to be seen again.

Not only did my friend lose he's gun, he got heartbroken, he lost faith, and was in dispair, how could this person do this, after all this time? he asks himself.

As you can see, its a rather brutal story (but nevertheless a true one).

Just a reminder to all of you to be carefull out there, things might not be as they appear...

// Exo

Good info.

Maybe off-topic, but anyone knows what happens if you lent items to someone and that other person dies irl?
MA will give them back?

Not really off-topic IMO.

A number of supposed "trust scams" (see exsolvo's story above for an example) could be really due to precisely that. Or some lesser personal disaster. How would we know? And how would MA know? I think it probably unusual for some IRL friend to contact the gaming community and tell them, not the norm.

This is another good reason why we need a safe item-loaning system, And another way in which scammers spoil things for everybody. If something bad happens to you, after borrowing an item, then your name will be reviled by all your EU friends, because the first thing people think is "scam" :(

jay

Last edited:
Good info.

MA will give them back?

Its a good question and I dont know the answer. :scratch2:

MA will give them back?
If I'm allowed to guess I think you need proof it was a loan and proof that the player you lent it to have died, then I see no problem them returning it.

But how the loan proof would look like thats another question, will simple screen shots of your agreement be enough :scratch2:
(should be equal to a verbal agreement, but is it?)

Good OP HW :thumbsupemote:

Are you the person behind Entropia Law ?

Good info.

MA will give them back?

I remember reading something about MA following the requests of last wills and testaments as far as avatars going to next of kin for purposes of selling the assets.

If they are willing to do that, I wonder if they would be willing to enforce a notarized contract between two players.

I wonder if they would be willing to enforce a notarized contract between two players.

This is another great question.

One thing that I have run into several times is that MindArk is reluctant to get involved between person to person transactions of any kind because a lot of these agreements are made with communication methods outside the game. Examples are forum PMs, Skype, phone conversations, etc. There is no way for MindArk to track or research those kinds of things.

I wonder how MindArk would handle the situation if a notarized contract between players was presented to them. An agreement doesn’t get more clear and definitive then that. I would imagine that it would be hard to ignore.

At the very least, if you had a notarized contract with a person who you have borrowed things to, then in court your case would be extremely easy to win if that person tried to scam you in any way.

If they are willing to do that, I wonder if they would be willing to enforce a notarized contract between two players.

They would say they are not a party to the contract, and all trades are final. So, those two players (or next of kin etc) have to fight it out between themselves (in court). Then, when a court-order is presented to them, they will act on it. The rules are very clear.

They would say they are not a party to the contract, and all trades are final. So, those two players (or next of kin etc) have to fight it out between themselves (in court). Then, when a court-order is presented to them, they will act on it. The rules are very clear.

Everytime I hear this "all trades are final" sentence I have to think of following situation (and finally I found an apropiate picture to express it!)

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

(don't spit your coffee this early morning)

Back