events for disaster relief and/or charity - ie : haiti

Status
Society
Pyrates of Calypso
Danielle YourMom DeathBringer ♥
As I logged into EU, I was sent a pm from a fellow Pyrate, Bella. She said she had an idea, that she wanted to share with the community; and she figured since I'm ''known'' on EF - I could share it with the masses, for her.
(aka I talk and post too much :ahh:)

At first - I was of course, weary .. lol you never know what a Pyrate is going to suggest. :silly:

But, as soon as she said the first sentence of her suggestion - I knew I wanted to spread the idea/thought/sentiment/proposal.

She said "If I owned a LandArea - I would hold an event for the weekend, where all of the taxes I recv'd - were sent to Haiti victims relief fund."

"I know, for a fact, that if CP/CND was holding a charity event like this -- I would pay for the flight to go up and hunt for a while; knowing my money was going to a good cause and helping others," Bella said, and I couldn't agree more.

She would hopefully be the first of many to do such an unselfish thing. If something like this were to take place, you never know where it could lead !

Not just disaster aid - but imagine helping fund Cancer research, AIDS research, Make a Wish foundation ... from inside a video game ! I just think the good things that could come of it are neverending.

Who knows - maybe one day a long-standing virtual fundraising event could grant a 'scholarship' fund for a family that are having financial difficulties, sending their young'ins to college.

The publicity possibilities are also endless - 'woman uses money from virtual property earnings to help to feed 100 earthquake victims.'

It just seems like a great idea - please feel free to discuss or even better .. hold some Haiti charity events on your Land Areas, space resorts/asteroids ;)

I also forgot to mention that my heart goes out to all the people of Haiti. The disaster is enormous and the world's thoughts are with you.

Last edited:
Not just disaster aid - but imagine helping fund Cancer research, AIDS research, Make a Wish foundation ... from inside a video game ! I just think the good things that could come of it are neverending.

I had an idea before (posted waaay long ago) about ingame fundraisers, to get money for charity, and for a kind of "box" that could be added to Memorial Island where you could donate money... Could be a nice thing :)

Breast cancer research!! :yay::yay:

Yay for boobs!

But im all for this idea! :D

This makes no sense to me. If I want to donate to a charity, I simply donate. Not go through the process of giving <5% of my loot towards some charity.

I wouldn't expect the total sum of taxes from an event like this to exceed $100. One person normally donates that much in a single go - so it's in effect a 1 step forward 5 steps back to have a couple dozen~100 people participating in an event like this.

Not to mention that if you donate yourself, you KNOW the money was donated, rather than involving a 3rd party. Advertisement of events such as this will start an EU version of the Nigerian scam, IMO.

Now that the criticism is done with, what COULD be a good idea for this is this:
Have the event run for an EXTENDED period of time (say, 6~12 months) and a set % of the accumulated taxes be set aside for donation to a specific charity (LA owners choice, or public vote/opinion). Like I pointed out, the accumulated amount in a single weekend/week isn't going to be even a drop in the bucket vs what a regular person or couple of people do IRL (and won't garner attention).

But even so, I still believe starting this is going to invite Nigeran Scam artists into EU... and if you thought the current scams were bad... they've turned it into an art... :rolleyes:

Breast cancer research!! :yay::yay:
Yay for boobs!

feel_boobies_for_post.jpg

Sunah - yes yes - we all know that we can just donate to donate.
this was a good suggestion of another way to donate.
while you say 'most people' donate $100 at a time - some people may not have any actual dollars right now, but have some peds to spend - which could in turn, help.
your opinion has been noted. ty ! :wave: :nana:

feel_boobies_for_post.jpg

Sunah - yes yes - we all know that we can just donate to donate.
this was a good suggestion of another way to donate.
while you say 'most people' donate $100 at a time - some people may not have any actual dollars right now, but have some peds to spend - which could in turn, help.
your opinion has been noted. ty ! :wave: :nana:

:nana:
My name is Sunab. Failing that, just call me Kal!

BTW, offering mammograms @ boxes for free! :D

nice picture. :rolleyes:

how does nigerian scam artists have anything to do with people in Haiti ?

anyway - to those actually discussing it - we're talking about respected land holders .. not any joe schmoe off the street.

Sunab - it was a typo - I swear I know your name ! :ahh:
:laugh: @ mammo's

A good thought, but tactically and effectivally not very feasible.

There are (in reality) few "charities" that aren't politically/economically motivated.

The Salvation Army and the Red Cross are the two less reprehensible of the lot, and work all over the World (they're in Haiti now).

These two use more of their donations they receive (for relief aid) then ANY other organizations.

But, as stated before, it's quicker to donate directly to these groups (though not as much fun as a contest/special event).

{Removed - Rule 2.10}

I'm sure there are other worthy groups that help World Wide, so please post them.

It's all well and good to "want to do something", but I'd rather DO something then talk about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
nice picture. :rolleyes:

how does nigerian scam artists have anything to do with people in Haiti ?

anyway - to those actually discussing it - we're talking about respected land holders .. not any joe schmoe off the street.

Sunab - it was a typo - I swear I know your name ! :ahh:
:laugh: @ mammo's

I forgot you aren't located in the USA! :facepalm:
We just had some major news last couple days about how the earthquake in Haiti hadn't even been 12 hours prior, and massive scam emails were being sent from - yup, you guessed it, Nigeria. (if you don't know the phrase "Nigerian Scam email" do a web search on the templates they use :laugh:)
Sad fact is, people are so torn up over this Haiti earthquake, all someone has to do is send them a "donate to Haitian relief fund" link, and people will click it without doing any research... estimates put scammed amount ~$50k+ so far, and that's in a few days... not to mention the 'dummy' websites that look like the real thing, yet put them in offshore bank accounts/alternate paypals/etc, and get withdrawn immediately.

So sad that during times such as this, humanities lowest forms of life crawl out of the muck and suck more down with them :rolleyes:...

It's an idea, better then nothing. But i'd much rather donate directly to a cause then go hunt my ass off and lose 800% more then I will actually donate through the tax.

In other words - people like the idea that you have behind it, but the lack of transparency turns them away from it. Besides, they could make a bigger donation directly. Still, your heart is in the right place.

heart in the right place, fo sho!

Yer, I agree totally that your heart and mind are in the right place, afterall, I am not made of stone... But I come into Entropia to 'leave' old earth behind; if only just for a brief little period.

While I am in EU, I tend to not think about the bills I have to pay, the car I have to fix, the leaking roof.. well, you get the point, I am sure!

I think RL can stay with RL, and VR can stay VR.

:D

Ossi!

There were a lot of disasters in the past , once I used a pet to bring these kind of things to people's attention. That was before the financial crisis.

Even back then none react ... I doubt you will find any now , after all
-> The most of us are now victims of a global financial crisis, roof didnt felt on our heads, but it willl sure feel like that -> If you loose your job :)

And from the years playing I have learned in this game there arent much folks you can trust. None at all.

If anyone feels like -> I want to do something good ! -> donate money to red cross or subscribe/sign up as volunteer.

Only way to be sure you are actualy helping someone is to do that by youself.

This makes no sense to me. If I want to donate to a charity, I simply donate. Not go through the process of giving <5% of my loot towards some charity.

Very true, but there is a certain type of synergy that groups and communities have when they roganize for a cause.

It's fuzzy-feel-good!

I know most of you don't trust anyone here and that's your perogative. So, if some charity event comes up in EU and you don't want to partake - feel free to stay the hell away. :thumbup: ;)

We all know people have the ability to donate directly and if that's what you want to do, please do that rather than nothing at all.
This was just a fun idea to help in someway, all while playing a video game.

Every little bit helps, whether it's $25 or $5,000. I don't think any charitable organization is going to look at you any differently for only donating a little bit, nor would they turn away your $25.

Let's not forget you're donating taxes on 'unknown' loots. :wise:

So, while you may not have $25 to send irl, you could get a hof that would donate that for you. ;)

ps that other 'Life' MMO holds a ton of 'charity events' in-game every year; raising tens of thousands of dollars for charities. :wise: just some food for thought.

{Removed - Rule 2.10}

I'm kind of suprised at the responses. When someone wants to do something to help others, one of the worst things is to try and discourage them from doing so.

So what if it may not yield that much money in the long run, it's still always good to get issues out in the open. This thread alone has raised the topic, and given resources to people who want to donate.

Many can't afford to donate a large sum directly to a cause, but they can afford a ticket to an event, or they can help organize the event, etc.

Even if the sum is small, it is still more than would have been raised otherwise.

... feel free to stay the hell away...

ps that other 'Life' MMO holds a ton of 'charity events' in-game every year; raising tens of thousands of dollars for charities. :wise: just some food for thought. ...

Yer, I agree ...

I think RL can stay with RL, and VR can stay VR.

Ossi!

I said it before, and will say it again, I think RL can stay with RL, and VR can stay VR.

GL irl tho!

Ossi!

I said it before, and will say it again, I think RL can stay with RL, and VR can stay VR.
GL irl tho!

lol .. well with that thought process - don'tchu worry about my RL and the luck I have there. :nana:

+rep to Lilac for stating it well. :)

...Who knows - maybe one day a long-standing virtual fundraising event could grant a 'scholarship' fund for a family that are having financial difficulties, sending their young'ins to college. ...

there is that LA over by shinook owned by university of florida or something. It used to have trips on it. Last time I was there it seemed quite idle. But I'm sure that if it had profits they were going back into that team's projects..

You have a good thought I give you cred for that but you have some things that is not so well thought about.

First the only one doing a good dead is the LA owner the community as a hole just do as the always does the hunt and mine maybe in a new plays but nothing more. They do not give a ped to charity. What happens if you get a ATH, I guess the LA owner will have to give the ped to the Haiti pepol not to lose face while the player will go and buy a bottle of champagne.

The other thing is that MA don’t supply this game for fun, if you spend 100 ped on hunting you get 60 back (or whatever % payback they have) the rest goes down MA pocket.

If you want to help the Haiti give them the 100 ped instead of giving the few % you already pay to the landowner.

again, totally agree with you here....

lol .. well with that thought process - don'tchu worry about my RL and the luck I have there. :nana:

lol, I don't worry about your RL... I don't worry about your VR either, for that matter. You made you point, I understand. You asked for opinion, I provided. No worry, really. :nana:

It's a shame I cannot voice an opinion that goes against the grain of the parade you were (hoping) to lead without being ridiculed. Oh well, whatever floats your boat!

<on topic>

unsubscribing

Ossi!

</on topic>

Heart is in the right place... but...

Rules said:
2.10 - Affiliate Links/Solicitation
Advertising real life items or services unrelated to Entropia Universe, the posting of affiliate or referral links, or any other form of solicitation is NOT permitted on EntropiaForum (this includes member profiles or any other publicly viewable area). If you would like to advertise on EntropiaForum, please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of any forum page to inquire. Similarly, promotion of or posting links to charities or other services soliciting donations or money is NOT permitted.

Now... before I get attacked... I am simply do what is expected. The person to talk to is 711... this is his house. If he tells me to restore the posts, I will do it quickly ;)

doitordontdoit - it was a joke - humor skill implants are cheap, pick one up. ;)

You said - I don't want to mix RL and VR .. but in the same sentence, you wish me good luck IRL; while on a forum about VR.
LoL - you don't find that the least bit contradictory of what you were saying? That's what I was pointing out, in a joking manner. :laugh:
I didn't ridicule you - lighten up, dude - thanks for unsubscribing. :rolleyes: :wave:

RayneJade - did you even look at the links ? :scratch:

They were links only REFERENCING events from years gone by; which you can't even donate to anymore.
It wasn't a solicitation of any sort, for anything other than the attention to the fact that SecondLife can raise tens of thousands of dollars; while it seems our community won't even discuss holding one without assuming someone is going to scam you, tell you how you should be doing it, post borderline racist pictures, bitch about the way it's being considered, and push it under the table with talk of 'maybe another day, maybe another way' ... :duh:

I guess more people play Second Life than PE/EU/FPC, for many reasons. ;)

Naverith actually said it best, "But, as stated before, it's quicker to donate directly to these groups (though not as much fun as a contest/special event)."
That's all that was trying to be suggested; a fun way to donate to a good cause, while playing. :dunno:

You would be donating taxes on loot that you don't even have yet .. you could end up with more to donate in the end, in a game - than you have laying around the house to actually donate, irl.

I think the links should be restored, but whatever.

:rolleyes:

ps - I'm think I'ma close the thread, until I speak to some others.
This has me just let down in general by the things I saw, heard, recv'd .. not sure I want to continue with the negativity. g'day. :tiphat:

Last edited:
Status
Back