New Community Manager

Status
I dont know but there seems to be a HOF celibration in game. This news must have Released some much needed wallets. becouse there has been some ubers lewtz popping. Coinicidence who knows.

ITS DYNAMIC!

I dont know but there seems to be a HOF celibration in game. This news must have Released some much needed wallets. becouse there has been some ubers lewtz popping. Coinicidence who knows.

ITS DYNAMIC!

Maybe Hanne let the Skam avatar donate all its high end gear to the lootpool :p

Congratulations Skam... ahh I meant Hanne :) (it will be a while until you'll get rid off your former avatar's name)!!!
A job well done FPC, at least IMO; a player of Skam's caliber can be an invaluable asset for the company in this position. It's meant to tighten up a somewhat loose relation between the player base and FPC, and done properly it might just achieve that.

Once again, Gratz, and a smart move.

Maybe we will get some representation on IRC again? ;D

Used to be one of the best and easiest ways to communicate with MA/FPC

Congratz, Hanne (formerly known as Skam)!

My best wishes to your new job, and my best wishes you'll be able to stand it - "Community Manager" of a MMORPG must be one of the toughest jobs imaginable. I'd not want to trade jobs with you now ...

Maybe it's a good idea to make a community celeb doing the CM - I hope it will be. Hope you'd got a nice contract too, with a sufficient PED flow, so you wouldn't have to feed on worn out, nearly starved MA server hamsters ... ;-)

Anyway, best luck to us all! Have fun!

HEHE ! Hanne is too nice to do that to, but yes. :D

Even though I have had my moments with Skam on this forum, respectfully she is very open minded and does her best to see things from your perspective as well. ;)

Hardwrath posted a pic earlier, lol it made me laugh :laugh:

Best be careful Konve :D

I think I'll stick to occasionally taunting Marco. :laugh:

I don't think I could come up with anyone that would be a better fit for the position. Hanne/Skam, I have always enjoyed the long talks we've had in this crazy adventure we both take part of, so I'm proud to see someone I know and respect being promoted to this position. As soon as you get that EF account, you will have an inbound friend request. :yay:

The only bad part about all of this is that Skam has to be left behind :(.

Skam is getting paid now for reading EF...THATS something I envy her for!!!

Shrewd move FPC, intresting. Congratulations to Skam, it's really great someone who's put so much into the community and appreciates our 'side' of EU is able to make a difference.

I'm sure you've considered this already, but I would suggest you have a thick-skin for when the 'honeymoon' period ends. Presidents and prime-ministers are different things to different people, and it ages them pretty quick.

I'm impressed you've reconcilled to losing Skam, it feels like Neo evolving at the end of The Matrix :D

So.... how long until you too become famous, featuring in a McComick special??

Just remember to take forum people with grain of salt always!

After all the main philosophy some days seems to be, Why make small problems when you can create a holocaust?

hehehhe

Grats on a new career. Read most of the thread, but didn't see what will become of your old ava? FPC should have a comp to give away all your stuff!

Grats and good luck

Grats :yay: and good luck with your new official role in the community.

Wow great job Skam! Im glad to seem them get someone who was already so in tune with the thoughts and concerns of the community. WTG FPC!

Congrats! I don't think they could have picked a better person.

What "The Community"?

Hi gang, and thanks! :)

I will certainly try my best to live up to the expectations. It feels good being in this position, being able to fulfill a position that I know the community have been wanting from the company. :)

Heyo, and thanks! :)

I'm sort of in the middle. -I'm working for FPC but I am also working for the community.
The flow of information has to go both ways; FPC need to know the community's position to situations, and needs someone who understands the mentality. The players need someone to give them a steady flow of information, and someone who'll listen and understand.

Ill be picking up issues that I see the community have worries about and work to see it getting resolved or let you know what is going on, yes.
Feedback and forum posts from the community will be crucial for me to be able to do my work properly, so Ill be lurking around quite a lot. (But I won't be working in the support system directly.)

Congratulations to you... and I wish you well
:)

I’m so sure that FPC made the best choice both in creating the position that is not primarily an on planet function and more importantly giving it to someone who is so imbedded and inbred into the values, perspectives and personal relationships of “the community?” as this thread clearly indicates. IMNSHO even if you claim some sort of objectivity or broader vision… you… by being a card carrying certified member of the “the community”…. will be subject to Chomskyian conspiracy.

It would have been, IMNSHO, better to have appointed someone from the “outside” who could deliver a fresh perspective to the issues and have an ability to see the citizens as not “the community”… but as it really is… as a diverse, not organized, non strategic, rapidly growing new phenomena of this universe… new players.

If this is the direction that FPC is choosing, to cater to “the community”, it is definitely time to change planets in order to seek out newer horizons, new visions, less communal opression and a breath of fresh air.

Its going to be a hard work i guess. Being a middle between such a smart and serious community and ... a company like MA is not something i'd like to try myself.

But lets hope Hanne's work will have its influence on MA too.

Good luck Hanne!

I hope the Us Vs. Them mentality is something Ill help improve! I know its quite the task, but then again I'm not the kind to back down from a challenge either.

I'm sort of in the middle. -I'm working for FPC but I am also working for the community.
The flow of information has to go both ways; FPC need to know the community's position to situations, and needs someone who understands the mentality. The players need someone to give them a steady flow of information, and someone who'll listen and understand.

Basically, Ill be the someone both sides can consult about the other side's position.

Ill be picking up issues that I see the community have worries about and work to see it getting resolved or let you know what is going on, yes.
Feedback and forum posts from the community will be crucial for me to be able to do my work properly, so Ill be lurking around quite a lot. (But I won't be working in the support system directly.)

I will not quote every little part but well , the main idea is :

We know that the main problem is not only the communication , but to manage to make MA change something to make it more player complient...MA is very reluctant to bielive in what player say , or to change something when it is made total wrong...
I have nothing against you or your new position in FPC...but i think it will be very hard to move such a big stone as MA.
will they at least try to listen a 20 year old girl that vouch for the player ?
Many many many time , player did point out problem in game that will create very big unbalance issue in the future...there was discussion , post , thread , suport case...and it always did take month , years , to MA to finally react to the problem , and it always did come with a very very drastic and insane change due to all the bad things the problem did make...
Does MA is ready to try to listen and mouve faster to something ?
Are they ready to remake , rethink , change some curent function that are destructive...as exemple i will speak about something you know very well , the whole clothe problem...is MA ready to change some of those rule to make the clothe afordable to player ?

Heyo, and thanks! :)

I hope the Us Vs. Them mentality is something Ill help improve! I know its quite the task, but then again I'm not the kind to back down from a challenge either.

Basically, Ill be the someone both sides can consult about the other side's position.

Regarding FPC sponsored events; I may or may not show up, such are not set in stone. But I've always had a personal interest in the player made events, and of course Id like to be there. Hopefully Ill have the time to :)

If anyone can resolve the "Us vs. Them" outlook, it is someone who has seen more than just one side of the coin. You are a long-time player who is well aware of the shortcomings in the system and the way the community feels on hot topics, this gives you a unique insight that an outsider simply wouldn't have. I honestly believe that you will get a lot of positive feedback from the community, as I believe the people here truly do love this game and want to see it get better. A lot of the complaints that you see every day fall into one of a few categories: missing features, fundamental changes to things which worked fine before, gameplay impacting bugs, poor/vague/cookie-cutter support responses and response time, and the big one: ever-lower loot returns. People here generally ask a lot less than those in the community of other online games, they just want the game to be fully functioning again, for the development team to care more about maintaining balance and fixing problems, and they want to be able to play without losing every last dime they have... Profiting is a nice bonus, but fair returns for average players would make a large number of players happy.

I hope that now that we have someone like you inside FPC, we will finally see the results of our voices calling for improvements. I also hope that you continue to be active here on EF - most MA and FPC staff seem to have a couple days of activity and then vanish for a while, but as community manager, I hope we see you around so that we can always give feedback and funnel concerns to you. If FPC and MA take suggestions you propose seriously and don't just put blinders on and think they know what is fun more than the players do, then I think that maybe we can work together to ensure a good future for this game. You are the best shot that the community has ever had to be able to communicate EFFECTIVELY with the development team, I hope it works out as well as it possibly can.

I will not quote every little part but well , the main idea is :

We know that the main problem is not only the communication , but to manage to make MA change something to make it more player complient...MA is very reluctant to bielive in what player say , or to change something when it is made total wrong...
I have nothing against you or your new position in FPC...but i think it will be very hard to move such a big stone as MA.
Many many many time , player did point out problem in game that will create very big unbalance issue in the future...there was discussion , post , thread , suport case...and it always did take month , years , to MA to finally react to the problem , and it always did come with a very very drastic and insane change due to all the bad things the problem did make...
Does MA is ready to try to listen and mouve faster to something ?
Are they ready to remake , rethink , change some curent function that are destructive...as exemple i will speak about something you know very well , the whole clothe problem...is MA ready to change some of those rule to make the clothe afordable to player ?

I think that this is exactly what I was talking about - players with genuine concerns hoping that this change will bring about results. On the same hand, I can see where Etopia's concern lies - you are young and they may discount your opinion due to your age and/or the fact that you were a player, as they seem to treat every player as the boy who cried wolf - "Oh, you say there is a problem... sure there is, we'll look into it (now go away and shut up, we don't care what you say, we know all)."

Here is to hoping the best. Best of luck Hanne -

Hanne Gulbrandsen killed an avatar (Silicon Skam Chip) worth The Hopes, Fears, Dreams, and Expectations of the Community and has been recorded in the Hall of Fame ALL TIME HIGH! Congratulations!

Taking 5 mins out from looking after my new twins just to congratulate my "old" captain on this fantastic and very suitable position for her. I hope it all works out really well for you Hanne. All the best :) :wtg:

If this is the direction that FPC is choosing, to cater to “the community”, it is definitely time to change planets in order to seek out newer horizons, new visions, less communal opression and a breath of fresh air.

Would have been interesting if they had given you the job.

Would have been interesting if they had given you the job.

Interesting watching people leave faster than the speed of light :D

It would have been, IMNSHO, better to have appointed someone from the “outside” who could deliver a fresh perspective to the issues and have an ability to see the citizens as not “the community”… but as it really is… as a diverse, not organized, non strategic, rapidly growing new phenomena of this universe… new players.

and who would know nothing at all about the universe, issues, etc? :rolleyes:

I think that this is exactly what I was talking about - players with genuine concerns hoping that this change will bring about results. On the same hand, I can see where Etopia's concern lies - you are young and they may discount your opinion due to your age and/or the fact that you were a player, as they seem to treat every player as the boy who cried wolf - "Oh, you say there is a problem... sure there is, we'll look into it (now go away and shut up, we don't care what you say, we know all)."
Or any reason they can conceive of, people don't always select rational points for rejecting a view! This is something that is the case no matter the age, gender, history, etc. It's really about ownership of the position.

I agree, but believe this is as much a challenge for Hanne in a proffessional context as it is for both us and the employer FPC. FPC clearly want a channel of communication - hiring someone for a job is a very, very expensive PR stunt if that's all it was. It can work if all sides give and take and, before reaching for the nuclear briefcase, appreciate - even in disagreement - the position of others. We need to recognise that if we ask to much and push to hard, we'll cause her efforts to appear ineffectual in satiating our wants and demands.

Bitching her into the ground in a few months time when everything hasn't been resolved, will only weaken the authority of the position.

I know what your meaning by '20 year old girl'. I'm the youngest member of my company, working as a software tester. With one of the lowest job ranks in the company, I'm expected to be able to graciously highlight the failings of senior programmers, offer bad news and recommendations to senior managers who have agendas to ship/sell products. Provide feedback on failing processes for improvement to an understaffed/funded team. So basically I get to piss off everyone at some point, have no cozy 'us' team, have some people that misunderstand and watch their back... oh what fun :silly2:

It only works when you realise that you have a job, that your position was created and filled because those employing, while not always wanting to hear it, know they need to sometimes to move change in the right direction.

Remembering that change doesn't happen overnight, and that you might not have the support of everyone around you. Acheiving results and maintaining the highest levels of professionalism give the position the respect it needs to get results from all sides - keeping a job and improving a company.

I am happy that FPC dont listen to you , and choose someone like skam for the job.She know the game history , she know the player , she know the game...she know what it is to loss money you gain with hard work, she know all the game mecanic , she know the communauty love the game and try to help at best...
Hiring a clueless outsider would make the things way more dificult for him , since he would fall in all the trap around him...he would be total gulible for what ever shit comunauty or MA say him, and it would take him some years to be abel to do his job the right way...
IMHO ( yes , i do stay humble ) Skam was one the best possible choise for FPC and best the best of all ( dunno who else could get that position)...
But i would certainly not hire someone like you.

Gratz on the new job Hanne, while I don't envy you the task, this is a move years overdue by MA, only it isn't them that finally got a round to it, it's FPC. I sincerely wish you the best of luck and hope this in the long run will benefit those who choose to stay on Planet Calypso. I am one of those sorely missing the 'old' game and not settling at all with the 'new' one, even when my hardware's dislike of the game allows me to log in. It is good to know that someone who 'was there' so long ago now at least has a chance at the company's ear, sure hope they listen.
All the best

IMHO ( yes , i do stay humble ) Skam was one the best possible choise for FPC and best the best of all ( dunno who else could get that position)...

Skam is indeed someone who is well suited for this job.

I feel mainly two concerns: First, alot of us haven't seen Skam around actively the last 2 years ago or so. Secondly, there might be strong indirect connection to a certain high level society.

This doesn't necessarily mean it has to be a problem, it's good if it's mentioned though so there isn't any kind of suspicions in case, for instance, some people are better prepared than others in case an event begins (stocking up on materials/rockets for a 2x event, or stocking up on weapons for a robot event). Or being the first ones to be on an event location if it's not yet publicly known that there is where the battle is going to be.

I also guess from what Brooklyn says, that you might have a different perspective if you are a mid level player and only have other mid level players around you, or if you are familiar with a high level player who will help you if you need items occasionally (to give an example: the problem to borrow a resurrection chip to unlock "death speak" - if you know someone in top5 who has one it's way easier than if you're a typical player in a 50+ level society - so person a may think "it's skilling up that's hard, borrowing the chip I'll do this afternoon" while another player things "I've skilled for 6 months but I still don't have any chance to get collateral"). You also will have to consider issues that is good for most players, even if they might be bad for a selected few (for instance, deciding to lower requirements of (L) faps, knowing that it might reduce the theoretical value of "mod faps" - to come with a suggestion that can be good for most players even if it means your friend might lose on it if he ever wants to realize the value of his mod fap. Tying the unlock of Death Speak from owning a chip to a skill level is same thing - It's good for peopel who want to skill mindforce, but a few select owners of resurrection chips might see it go down a bit in value).

There is a third issue also, but it's not related to Skam - it's related to MA. MA should use Skam as a resource also, or hire a PR person by themselves, because there are things that MA are responsible for and that they might need help to get communicated. Like, for instance, their policy for the shops in the Deer Mall, where Marco has said here he will try to help, but that MA/server dudes still holds things back. Or the balancing and item drop policy. Or, generally, help MA with communication when there are VUs to ensure the information that servers are going down is sent out to all players. The "FPC Officer Pioneer" at Twin Peaks said a lot of people at FPC are playing - but do we know yet if any at MindArk, those running the servers, are playing?

Last edited:
Skam is indeed someone who is well suited for this job.

I feel mainly two concerns: First, alot of us haven't seen Skam around actively the last 2 years ago or so. Secondly, there might be strong indirect connection to a certain high level society. This doesn't necessarily mean it has to be a problem, it's good if it's mentioned though so there isn't any kind of suspicions in case, for instance, some people are better prepared than others in case an event begins (stocking up on materials/rockets for a 2x event, or stocking up on weapons for a robot event).

Concerns understood completely :)

I was wondering when this would come up! Concerns understood, but I have signed a NDA contract. Breaching that wouldn't do me any good.
I have a lot of friends in game, and some friends IRL who do play Entropia. However, I expect them to be respectful to me and the contract I've signed. My personal life is my personal life, and my job is my job.

About the levels; I was (sigh!) a mid level (with upper mid level gear) player in a mid level society, with both newcomer and uber friends and connections. I think all of the levels are important, behind them are all real people who wish to be entertained by visiting Planet Calypso. If you notice that I am somehow directing myself more towards one group then another, give me a shout.

(I have been active the last 2 years though!)

Status
Back