FYI: The Definitive Character Luck study

Status
There are quite a few posts here and I'm a bit confused, so can I just ask for clarity's sake;

Are you removing played hours and globals/hofs gained from the date? For what reason? :scratch2:

Are you making the correct difference on a global and a hof?

Hey,

Im removing my own HOF's and Globals when not hunting mobs that are part of the study. To add HOFs or Globals gained while hunting Ambulimax, Feffoid, and Maffoid and compare them to Globals and HOF's gained while hunting Combibo, Faucervix, and Exarosaurs seemed a little bit like stacking the odds. I could make anyone seem lucky if I threw in a Proteron hunter.

A global is more than 50 PED. A HOF is whatever amount reaches the top 100 for the day and gets put on the Hall of Fame.

No concern over "wasting your luck" on the non-project mobs?

(wasting in the context of it not being available within the project time slots, else please let us all know how to save up our luck and use it at a specific time/place)

No concern over "wasting your luck" on the non-project mobs?

(wasting in the context of it not being available within the project time slots, else please let us all know how to save up our luck and use it at a specific time/place)

No concern because 1) its not controllable. 2) random luck should show up randomly!

Your sentence implies that luck is given out in measured doses. If so, its not really luck. Its controlled feedback, and you should be able to count the clicks between lucky strikes and predict when they should happen next.

If you believe that, maybe you should be the one telling me how to use luck at specific times and places!

I however enjoy calling people out for what they are.

Look again. Both ranpha and I called you out on the exact same thing. The only difference was mine was funnier. :D

I got a laugh and a debate point. Ranpha Got name calling.

We all know it's not what you say, it's how you say it. However, don't focus on the "how" and miss the "what". if I could be given a polite disagreement, the same could be done for others.

I'm off to play EU. Happy hoffing.

double-facepalm.jpg

Words cannot describe how much fail there is in here...

Look again. Both ranpha and I called you out on the exact same thing. The only difference was mine was funnier. :D

I got a laugh and a debate point. Ranpha Got name calling.

We all know it's not what you say, it's how you say it. However, don't focus on the "how" and miss the "what". if I could be given a polite disagreement, the same could be done for others.

I'm off to play EU. Happy hoffing.

Ranpha didnt call me out on anything. Reread ranphas post. Oh wait, Im sorry he deleted it. My quote is accurate. Please show me there where he and you actually said the same thing. Go ahead, copy and paste. I'd like to see it.

You lost a respect point with that one John. Not that my respect really matters. Did I pick on your friend?

Frankly I despise it when people lie.

At this point, John Capital... you are a liar.

Once again, it seems Magyar Republic is calling out individuals. This time its you.

Dont make the mistake I offer you respect because youre a mod. I offer you respect because you up until this point have practiced self restraint!

Last edited:
No concern because 1) its not controllable. 2) random luck should show up randomly!

Your sentence implies that luck is given out in measured doses. If so, its not really luck. Its controlled feedback, and you should be able to count the clicks between lucky strikes and predict when they should happen next.

If you believe that, maybe you should be the one telling me how to use luck at specific times and places!

double-facepalm.jpg

Words cannot describe how much fail there is in here...

To say the least.

Lol @ Magyar, do you know how many times you've contradicted yourself in this thread? you add data and remove it at will and still insist that this is a "comprehensive" study? You throw out HoF's because you weren't hunting the right mob and then you say that those HoF's don't count as globals and also don't count towards your "luck"? I could go on and on about all the problems but you refuse to see reason, or even logic. Full of fail is putting it super gently.

I don't know why this thread bugs me so much. I need to stop reading these posts because all I can think of when I do is words like stupid, idiotic, ignorant, stubborn, silly, blind, etc.....The one word I keep coming back to though......

Lol....NOOB!

I havnt contradicted myself at all. Everything I have said has been crystal clear, and I have followed the rules of this study to the letter, up to and including being willing to adjust my own personal point of view should the results prove any original assumptions I had wrong.

This is a political game though, at this point. It has nothing to do with the study.

I like how the threads degenerated to namecalling. Even the mod has gotten involved. Really proves the caliber of individuals on Entropia Forum. Folks here think theyre quite the elite bunch, above the behavior seen on other boards. The sad fact is theyre quite the same. They just spend more money to spout their drivel, and then pay money to a forum so they can have an elite picture by their name while doing so.

Honestly, thats pretty stupid!

Of course, so is spending EFD on a little SGA icon by your name, when you could sell the EFD to somebody else and actually get ingame PED for it!

Way to buy into the system!

At this point I expect a ban, and actually want one. So I'm going to really angle for one. Here's the finger. Enjoy yourselves!

{image removed}

Last edited by a moderator:
let him do his study his way as he will not change it despite so much feedback.

he will reach the conclusion he was aiming for from the beginning and be happy. The results and data will then be open for discussion. if he wants he can try another test

the rest of this drama is just feeding his ego and supporting his self righteousness.

let him do his study his way as he will not change it despite so much feedback.

he will reach the conclusion he was aiming for from the beginning and be happy. The results and data will then be open for discussion. if he wants he can try another test

the rest of this drama is just feeding his ego and supporting his self righteousness.

I reached the opposite conclusion about a week ago. But I continue the study in good faith, because I could be wrong again. My reply to John earlier illustrated that.

This study may not prove to be valuable from my own standpoint. So far the data Ive collected shows very little. But the data this thread has collected shows alot, essentially the conclusion that is safe to draw is:

Everyones loot theory is wrong. There is likely no such thing as "luck" "Cycled Returns" "Globals after Deposits" or any of the above. Pretty much everything has been disproven thus far.

I love closed minded people though. They think everyone else is just as closed minded as they are!!!!! :laugh:

I'm enjoying this interaction! The reputation of Entropia Forum really does not do it justice. Its better than I could have anticipated.

Ranpha didnt call me out on anything. Reread ranphas post. Oh wait, Im sorry he deleted it. My quote is accurate. Please show me there where he and you actually said the same thing. Go ahead, copy and paste. I'd like to see it.

You lost a respect point with that one John. Not that my respect really matters. Did I pick on your friend?

Frankly I despise it when people lie.

At this point, John Capital... you are a liar.

Once again, it seems Magyar Republic is calling out individuals. This time its you.

Dont make the mistake I offer you respect because youre a mod. I offer you respect because you up until this point have practiced self restraint!

*ahem* You forgot a few things:

1. I had already read it before he erased it anyway.
  2. You yourself quoted it before it was erased. (post #173)
  3. As a mod, I can see exactly what ranpha posted, even though it was deleted

Both of our comments quoted, and related directly to this quote from you.
and since my deposits are already greater than my monthly mortgage payment

Although ranpha's post actually quoted a few more words where you said you ran out of peds.

Both our comments were directly aimed at the exact same quote from you.

In fact, ranpha's went further by actually offering some advice (you know, the part about trying drones and Troxie. again See post #173, where you copied it.)

Still wanna say I lied?

(And no, for the record I don't know ranpha at all. Simply doing my mod duties, without lying.)

Yeah, I am going to try you lied.

1) I know youre a mod, I know what you can and cant see, and I know your capabilities. Being a mod really is inconsequential these days. Most guilds have a board of some sort. My guild has had a board running for years. Spare me the high horse dialogue. Its unimpressive.

2) You still didnt quote Ranpha, or yourself, and illuminate exactly what you said that matched what he said. I however did quote it, and the quote is still present. I also quoted your posts.

Ranpha saying "What mobs do you hunt with your sword" does not equate to John Capital saying "You spend too much money"

Those seem like independent statements! They may have been based off the same quote from me, but they follow two completely independent chains of logic! To say that they are in fact the same is at the very least to be clearly misinformed. With your forum title behind you, such a statement carries weight though. A mod stepping in and offering a misinterpretation so far off what is actually occurring is nothing short of presenting a bold faced lie in an attempt to smear another individual.

Way to engage in smearing, MOD. In fact, way to do it twice in one thread! :laugh:

I mock you now.

Mock! mock! mock!

Seriously, at this point just delete my account. I'd do it myself, but I dont appear to have rights to do so. Ive got about as much desire to participate on this forum as Dick Cheney does to have another heart attack. Old habits are hard to break. Thats about the only reason I come back now.

That and to kill time while I rebuild my company's FreeBSD server into something a little more modern.

Last edited:
Oh. Youve returned. Awesome.

Insert post by John Capital grasping at straws.

Hey --- I got a better idea.

Dont reply to me. Delete my account. Im done here.

2) You still didnt quote Ranpha, or yourself, and illuminate exactly what you said that matched what he said.

Ranpha saying "What mobs do you hunt with your sword" does not equate to John Capital saying "You spend too much money"

Ah, I see. OK, let's see if this can help.

The quote of yours we both (independently) pointed toward was this.

I essentially ran out of PED, and since my deposits are already greater than my monthly mortgage payment I cant justify spending any more.

To which I posted
[YOUTUBE]lHj4rU2OIoU[/YOUTUBE]​

And ranpha posted
:lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup:

what are you hunting chripys with a anti-material rifle ?

Try that sword of yours on some drones or troxies you will global in minutes.
Maffs arnt the greatest global mobs, neither is combibo

The problem seems to occur with ranpha's post as you seem to have trouble with it. It actually breaks down into two parts

:lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup:

what are you hunting chripys with a anti-material rifle ?

This first part is where, to me anyway, ranpha was hinting that you were somehow spending way too much in decay somehow vs potential returns. (anti-material rifle is over 20 ped per shot. Highly unlikely you could ever get sufficient returns from chirpies to cover the cost)

Which I took to mean the same thing my post said "Well there's your problem". Meaning you're somewhere, somehow, spending way too much versus expected returns.

Note, I'm seeing both our posts saying you are spending too much, somehow, somewhere.

The second part of his(her?) post

Try that sword of yours on some drones or troxies you will global in minutes.
Maffs arnt the greatest global mobs, neither is combibo

Actually offered advice, going well beyond my post.

Does that help show where both those posts are saying the same thing?

It is possible that ranpha's was more annoying somehow, and quite understandable that it might have pissed you off. However, I see our responses as basically the same. Perhaps you disagree? This could be a simple case of two people interpreting the same post differently.

Its like being at the end of the world party.... cept im at the final degeneration of a thread instead!

It is possible that ranpha's was more annoying somehow, and quite understandable that it might have pissed you off. However, I see our responses as basically the same. Perhaps you disagree? This could be a simple case of two people interpreting the same post differently.

Oh sigh. The diplomatic approach.

Regarding your post, nice attempt at twisting words. Im sure it will be nice and effective, given that this is a popularity contest and not a contest for any kind of substantive truth. I never even entered the popularity contest, I had no desire to. You already won that one!

This isnt a case of anyone interpreting a post differently. There was nothing to misinterpret from Ranphas post. This is a case of a mod trying to justify his own desire to flame a user after the user attacked one of his friends and/or favorites.

Ranpha wrote a flame. I gave him the finger. He deserved it.

If you want to say your post was the same as his, then youre essentially saying you wrote a flame too. Did you? Is that what a mod does on Entropia Forum?

Its probably best to retire if theres more interest in flaming users than there is interest in keeping things civil.

Its like being at the end of the world party.... cept im at the final degeneration of a thread instead!

Yep frankly I got sick of folks calling me names, without actually having the balls to call me them --- trying to sound erudite while at the same time engaging in 2nd grade playground warfare.

It was a fine display of total gutlessness on the part of this community.

Even the mod got involved, which I found damn funny considering he wrote a flame and then in the next breath told users flaming was against the rules.

And then allowed the flames to continue, and engaged in it even more.

This thread never actually got any sort of public respect. It was tolerance at first, and gradually degenerated as folks realized I was actually keeping data. Funny thing though, theres quite a few +reps Ive received from it, with users telling me this is exactly what would happen. The forum "Chosen Ones" would shit all over this project until the thread was killed.

For those who haven't been around since the beginning, here is an abbreviated version of the last 20 pages.

OP: I am going to do an experiment on how many globals 3 avatars will get each week on the same mob using the same weapon.

forum: What hunting styles will each avatar use?

OP: It doesn't matter.

forum: how much time will each avatar spend and what size runs will they do.

OP: It doesn't matter.

forum: then what are you going to record?

OP: the number of globals each avatar gets per week.

forum: We don't care how many globals they get. What is their profit/loss %?

OP: I dont care, I'm recording globals only. My ped card is empty, i lost 1000ped this week.

forum: If you are loosing that much ped you may want to change something.

OP: Dont tell me what to do.

forum: Its impossible to loose 1000ped in a week hunting combibo if you are playing wisely.

OP: I am recording globals.

forum: maybe you should do it this way.

OP: no I'm recording globals. I am being very scientific and only measuring one variable at a time while trying to keep all other variables as similar as possible.

OP: I got a global but im not going to record it.

forum: WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?

OP: well it was on a different mob.

forum: don't you think that will change your loot patterns if you change your ingame activities while doing an experiment?

OP: im only recording globals on the experiment mobs.

forum: are you stupid? we've been trying to help you this whole time.

OP: don't call me stupid, your stupid.

MOD: please adhear to forum rule #s such and such.

OP: You sir MOD are an #%@!#@%

me: uh... i guess im glad i haven't posted since the first couple pages.

Oh sigh. The diplomatic approach.

And that's all my posts here were meant to be. An attempt to point out a potential problem I saw, that being your spending too much. However, you said that wasn't a real problem, so I set that aside.

And yes, I did ask you to not to flame away. (which I've also asked of others)

Then we got onto some long discussion of whether ranpha's post and mine were saying the same thing or not.

True that last long bit did take this thread well off-topic. I'll take blame for my end of that.

I know you asked for a ban and account deletion, however, I feel that's just a gut reaction, and anticipate you may be able to still gain some benefit from this forum. So for now, we'll skip that issue. You can always take a vacation and come back when you're more relaxed, of course.

However, this is still well off topic, so....

Back to the testing. Good luck. It will be every interesting to see the final results.

First of all, you need to chill out. People (most of them) who are responding to your thread are actually trying to help you and point you in the right direction. And nobody is here to attack you personally unless you provoke it. It's not a kid party, most people are reasonable adults.

Now, concerning your test. Overall it's interesting, however you're taking the wrong approach. A bit like picking 4 random people in random places of planet and measuring amount of sunny days in certain period while ignoring all other factors such as geographic location, usual climate patterns, time of year, etc. etc.

What you're tackling here, is an extremely complicated system with alot of variables. Not only you're ignoring that, but you're oblivious to the fact that your method of measurement is completely irrelevant. Any serious player will tell you that globals/hour is a meaningless because it takes into account only part of data. The only relevant measurement is tt_input/tt_output. And even so things like weapon used, mob hunted have to be taken into account, as well as expenses need to seperated into categories.

Edit: For a really serious experiment, take a look at this thread and see how similar problem was tackled.https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/mining/132510-mining-loot-analysis.html

For those who haven't been around since the beginning, here is an abbreviated version of the last 20 pages.

lol, thanks Narfi, I got lost half way though, and the first half was confusing as hell :laugh:

p.s. there is no such thing as luck.

I know you asked for a ban and account deletion, however, I feel that's just a gut reaction, and anticipate you may be able to still gain some benefit from this forum. So for now, we'll skip that issue. You can always take a vacation and come back when you're more relaxed, of course.

Go ahead and go through with it. I can gain all I need to from this forum by using search and filtering through the miscellaneous ramblings, half baked theories, and political machinations without having to actually log in.

As for my own discussion, all I would have to say to the community from this point forward is how ridiculous they are, in some form or another. I have nothing I wish to contribute here, as the capacity for deep thought by the community is severely limited.

That the flames have continued on this thread clearly shows a lack of desire for any sort of moderation by the staff, and a lack of any desire to cooperate from the community.

I'll continue to come by and request the deletion of my account until it happens. It is my firm belief that the value of potential discussion on this forum is vastly overshadowed by the negativity, political jockeying, and spread of potential misinformation.

To make a short list:

Ive been flamed for helping fix computer issues, even when the poster of the issues recognized I had the correct solution!
Ive been flamed for 20+ pages on attempting my own experiment, because the forum didnt like my criteria.
Ive been flamed for defending a fellow newbie against established individuals who simply found someone they figured they could pick on.

It seems like in order to have a decent time here a participant must kiss the ass of a few "respected" individuals, subscribe to their theories, and offer miscellaneous tokens showing your appreciation that those people are around. Mining theories involving skill gain are generally laughed at, and their proponents mocked much as I have been. Loot theories that state anything more than "PED RECYCLING" are scoffed at, and newbies in general are treated as nothing more than a resource to be fed upon by the greedy masses waiting eagerly to make a buck at their expense. Newbie stories are treated with a pat on the head and a cookie if approved of, and shameless amounts of ridicule if they dont meet with the community standard.

I have no business I desire to partake in here. Thank you.

wiki said:
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the ability to realize it"

Dunning Kruger Hypothesis said:
Incompetent individuals tend to overestimate their own level of skill.
Incompetent individuals fail to recognize genuine skill in others.
Incompetent individuals fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

You are taking a jab at me. You are also describing every single theory on this forum. There isnt a soul here who has any clue how the game really works. Just a bunch of guesses are offered and fought over.

The most competent thing anyone can do is leave this group of charlatans to vend their snake oil theories to somebody else.

Oh and notbabbi. I am done here. That doesnt mean I cant reply. That means I dont give a flying fuck anymore. God I love how clever people think they are here!

May as well delete this account, John. Ive randomized the email and password as of this post. The account is dead.

You are taking a jab at me. You are also describing every single theory on this forum. There isnt a soul here who has any clue how the game really works. Just a bunch of guesses are offered and fought over.

The most competent thing anyone can do is leave this group of charlatans to vend their snake oil theories to somebody else.

Oh and notbabbi. I am done here. That doesnt mean I cant reply. That means I dont give a flying fuck anymore. God I love how clever people think they are here!

May as well delete this account, John. Ive randomized the email and password as of this post. The account is dead.

Yeah, sure. People who spent 4-5 years here have no idea how system works. Right.

Nothing more to add, carry on.

OK, I guess this thread is done.

:locked:

Status
Back