Info: Texturizing and Coloring Guide

Summer

Old Alpha
Society
Planet Express
Alkesh Summer Vallan
index.php

In this thread, I will try to answer most of the questions I am asked as a high-level texturer (material designer) and colorer.

Customizing

Any item with a (C) at the end of the name, which means "customizable", can be colored and/or textured (this includes most clothes, furniture, storage boxes, and all vehicles). These items have one to three fields that can be colored/textured. It is possible to color an item or add textures or both. With a wide range of texture and colors that can be combined, the options are almost infinite.

Tools needed

All you need for coloring and texturing are some tools and the materials - for coloring you use a colorator and for texturing you use a texturer. You can add a bleacher to both of them - that allows you to bleach colors/textures.
Everyone can use Orange, Yellow and Blue paint, Brukite, and Large striped cotton fabric textures.

For colors: Ziplex 'Fashion Line' Colorator (L)
For textures: Ziplex T100 Texturizer (L)
Bleacher (colors): Ziplex 'Fashion Line' Bleacher Addon (L)
Bleacher (textures):
Ziplex B101 Material Texture Bleacher (L)

index.php

index.php

How it works

1) Equip the tool you are going to use.
– For coloring, you use a colorator in which you add paint cans and for texturing, you use a texturizer in which you add textures.
- The tools are crafted and can be found in the Auction under “Items-Tools-Design”.
2) Drag and drop your customizable item into the window.
3) Drag and drop the paints/textures into the fields (a preview of how it will look is shown).

index.php

4) Press the “Apply” button.
5) A loot window with your newly customized item will appear. And you might gain some skills in the process.

* You can choose the desired saturation of color/texture by moving the slider bar in the colorator/texturer.

If the item you are customizing is full tt you will get back 90% of the total tt value of all materials you used to color/texture. These peds come back to you in the loot window along with your customized item. If the item you were customizing wasn’t full tt, then this return will first go into repairing the tt value of the item, and any leftover will be in the form of peds.

The cost to have something customized is = MU + 10%tt + Fee
The markup on the textures/colors, 10% of the tt value of the texture/colors used, fee charged for the service (if there is one).

If you don't like the outcome of the customization you can always bleach the item and try again. You do this by adding a bleacher to the tool - this allows you to bleach colors/textures. When bleaching, you must bleach all the fields of colors but are able to keep the textures or vice versa. Bleaching any item decays that item for1 pec. You don't get anything back from bleaching, all the colors/textures you bleached are lost.
The bleach add-ons can be found in the Auction under “Items-Tools-Design”; you then drag and drop the add-on onto the colorator/texturer tool to attach it.

Success when customizing

Different items have 1 to 3 customizable fields, but most items have 3 fields. The outcome of customization will be dependent on the amount of materials you are putting in each field.

For a 100% success when applying you will need to use 323 paint cans/textures a field. Lower numbers can be used, but they do not guarantee maximum success.

index.php

index.php

An approximate outcome using different amounts of textures/cans:
323 textures/cans ~ 100%
300 textures/cans ~ 99%
250 textures/cans ~ 98%
200 textures/cans ~ 96%
*note is just a guideline, sometimes the % outcomes could fail and be much worse using these amounts.

Texturing & Coloring Vehicles (L items)

All vehicles can be textured/colored the same as any other UL customizable item. The process is completely the same except for one difference:

1. Bleaching - when you bleach any item you decay that item for 1 pec. Now with UL item that can be repaired, but with vehicles (L items) you cannot repair.

** Texture/Color look does not deteriorate with vehicle tt anymore.

Recommended and maxed levels

On every paint can and texture (in the item info) can you can see the Recommended level for using it, but this is only the skill increase bonus level. This is not the level needed to apply the texture/paint. In order to have a full green success bar, you need to max the material first.
The maxed levels are the real indicator of what level a texturer/colorer has to be to successfully apply a texture/paint without the help of enhancers.

You can find tables with maxed levels for Textures and Paints in here:

Maxed leves for Textures
Maxed levels for Paints

Enhancers

Basic pigment enhancers and texture enhancers are looted sometimes when applying a paint/texture. You can find Texture Enhancers in the Auction under "Materials - Texture Extractors" and Basic Pigment Enhancers under "Materials - Paints".

index.php

Enhancers are used by colorers/texturers to help them reach the maxed level of a paint/texture which is beyond their skill. A colorer/texturer needs 10 enhancers per level for which he or she is not maxed. For example, if a level 30 texturer (material designer) wants to apply Frigulite texture, which is maxed at level 35, they will need 50 texture enhancers.

index.php

Combinations

There is no easy way to know how a certain color will look on a certain texture. You must have the item already colored, then you can view what a texture would look like on top of that. Or something already textured to view what adding colors will look like.

Playing with different textures and colors can really make your outfit unique and interesting, match your coat with your armor, fancy up your apartment and pimp up your ride. There are so many different options to choose from in the textures area, not to mention the effect of colors on textures. Customization is the way to make an item unique and your own.

Services

There are various textures and colors ingame, which differ by the level needed to apply them (and looks ofc). Here you can find a list of players who offer Texturing & Coloring Services

Last edited:
Approximate Maxed levels for Textures

*maxed levels are now shown in item info*

Approximate Maxed levels for CalypsoTextures

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

Approximate Maxed levels for Arkadian Textures

index.php

index.php

index.php

***Maxed levels are calculated by a formula Maxed level=(Recommended lvl*1.1)+2.5. The formula was provided by Dessy.

Last edited:
Approximate Maxed levels for Paints

*maxed levels are now shown in item info
Approximate Maxed levels for Paints

index.php

index.php

Approximate Maxed levels for Next Island Paints

index.php

***Maxed levels are calculated by a formula Maxed level=(Recommended lvl*1.1)+2.5. The formula was provided by Dessy.

Last edited:
Great guide, one thing I wondered for a while tho if you texture an already colored item will the texture be "on top" of the color?
Ex: I got a basic blue shirt and want a blue brukite look, do I have to bleach it and then color it again after the brukite are applied or can I just apply the brukite as it is? (hope that makes sense lol)

Great guide, one thing I wondered for a while tho if you texture an already colored item will the texture be "on top" of the color?
Ex: I got a basic blue shirt and want a blue brukite look, do I have to bleach it and then color it again after the brukite are applied or can I just apply the brukite as it is? (hope that makes sense lol)

Just add the brukite. They're separate systems.

Great question :)

You don't have to bleach the color. It doesn't matter in what order the texture and color is applied. The final product will look the same - in your case blue brukite.

Last edited:
Just add the brukite. They're separate systems.
so color are "always on top" or can you choose that?
(cant try it myself as my leathers usually dont give any color just skills and tt to my own clothes lol)

thanks Summer, always nice to learn something new

Great guide Summer :)

Yes, you can have textures on your painted clothes ;)

Regarding color bleaching, I have a Bleach Addon attached to my colorator, and the (C)ustomizable item. What else do I need - some bleach agent? The "Apply" button is greyed out. Can I choose to bleach just ONE of the 3 color fields?

I assume we need a seperate item for texturizing + texture bleach addons? Do they need bleach agents?

Thanks.

Very nice guide Summer, I have it bookmarked and will send people here if they have further questions on coloring/texturizing. Sometimes it is so hard to explain about enhancers and why they are necessary even though the color/texture is within my SIB. Kudos on your explanation! :tiphat::thumbup:

Regarding color bleaching, I have a Bleach Addon attached to my colorator, and the (C)ustomizable item. What else do I need - some bleach agent? The "Apply" button is greyed out. Can I choose to bleach just ONE of the 3 color fields?

I assume we need a seperate item for texturizing + texture bleach addons? Do they need bleach agents?

Thanks.

To answer your question. To bleach an item all you need is colorator/texturizer and their respective attachments (i.e. you cannot equip a colorator bleacher to a texturizer visa versa).

There is no agent or item needed to add except the customizable item.

There is no way to bleach just one field you have to bleach all three fields (this holds true for both coloring and texturing).

When you fire up the colorator or texturizer with a bleacher attached if the item has been already colored/textured there is a bleach button below the apply button that needs to be pressed. You will also notice that the three field boxes are "X"ed out and you cannot apply anything within them. Just simply push the bleach button and your customizable item will be uncolored or untexturized (depending on which you are using). Then drag the item back to be colored/texturized and you will notice that the three fields are no longer have an "X" and that you can put your cans/textures in your fields and push apply to color/texturize an item.

To answer your question. To bleach an item all you need is colorator/texturizer and their respective attachments (i.e. you cannot equip a colorator bleacher to a texturizer visa versa).

There is no agent or item needed to add except the customizable item.

There is no way to bleach just one field you have to bleach all three fields (this holds true for both coloring and texturing).

When you fire up the colorator or texturizer with a bleacher attached if the item has been already colored/textured there is a bleach button below the apply button that needs to be pressed. You will also notice that the three field boxes are "X"ed out and you cannot apply anything within them. Just simply push the bleach button and your customizable item will be uncolored or untexturized (depending on which you are using). Then drag the item back to be colored/texturized and you will notice that the three fields are no longer have an "X" and that you can put your cans/textures in your fields and push apply to color/texturize an item.

Thanks. Very nicely explained. :)

I have a jacket with a very nice (and expensive) texture (x3) on it already - if I use a COLOR BLEACH to remove all color - my texture is still preserved, and just the color is removed?

Also, if we wish, can we just "bleach out" just ONE field of a textured item? Or are all fields bleached out?

Very nice guide Summer, I have it bookmarked and will send people here if they have further questions on coloring/texturizing. Sometimes it is so hard to explain about enhancers and why they are necessary even though the color/texture is within my SIB. Kudos on your explanation! :tiphat::thumbup:

very nice.

Thanks guys :) And thanks for answering the bleaching question Elora :)

Last edited:
I have a jacket with a very nice (and expensive) texture (x3) on it already - if I use a COLOR BLEACH to remove all color - is my texture still preserved, and just the color is removed?

Also, if we wish, can we just "bleach out" just ONE field of a textured item? Or are all fields bleached out?

Still unsure to the above... :confused: :D Dont wish to mess up my textures!!

Nice guide... I printed it for fast reference :)

Stopped in at your shop the other day as well... very nicely designed.

Good job!

Still unsure to the above... :confused: :D Dont wish to mess up my textures!!

Using a color bleacher will only remove the colors and will leave the textures untouched. But you can't bleach only one field - i'ts all or nothing basically.

So as long you don't use a texture bleacher, your textures will be fine :)

Last edited:
Thanks. Very nicely explained. :)

I have a jacket with a very nice (and expensive) texture (x3) on it already - if I use a COLOR BLEACH to remove all color - my texture is still preserved, and just the color is removed?

If you "bleach" colour of an item of clothing then all colours are removed.

If you "bleach" the texture of an item of clothing then all textures are removed.

If you have an item that is coloured and textured then you can "bleach" the colours out and leave the textures. Or you can "bleach out" the textures and leave the colours as those two systems are completely seperate from each other.

You cannot bleach just one field of colour or texture. So if you have an expensive texture in one field and want to change the other two - you can't. You have to do the whole lot again or leave it as it is.

Hope that now answers it for you.

Thank you all for the answers. :) Better safe than sorry. :) Appreciated.

Thank you all for the answers. :) Better safe than sorry. :) Appreciated.

That is so very true :D Which is one reason why MA made the texturing screen green and the coloring screen blue. Just remember that before you go and push the bleach button; always look at the finalized result too before you hurriedly push the bleach button :D

Best of luck on your match making texturing coloring combos :thumbup:

This is a great guide but it does not mention anything about the tools needed to get started doing this. Anyone have any idea on what is the best tools to start with are?

This is a great guide but it does not mention anything about the tools needed to get started doing this. Anyone have any idea on what is the best tools to start with are?

For coloring you use a colorator and for texturizing you use a texturer. You can add a bleacher to both of them - that allows you to bleach colors/textures.

Bleacher (colors): Ziplex 'Fashion Line' Bleacher Addon (L)
Bleacher (textures):Ziplex B101 Material Texture Bleacher (L)

Will edit the first post too :)

Last edited:
For coloring you use a colorator and for texturizing you use a texturer. You can add a bleacher to both of them - that allows you to bleach colors/textures.

Bleacher: Ziplex 'Fashion Line' Bleacher Addon (L)

Will edit the first post too :)

but there are two bleachers.. one for colors and one for textures ;)

Ziplex B101 Material Texture Bleacher (L) is the name of the texture one

DO I have to do all the texturing at once?

Can I apply one texture to one field of an item today and then next week apply another texture to ANOTHER field of the same item without losing the first texture?

DO I have to do all the texturing at once?

Can I apply one texture to one field of an item today and then next week apply another texture to ANOTHER field of the same item without losing the first texture?

na, can't. You have to bleach the first texture first, then can apply new textures. Same applies for colors.

I just textured a tight shirt with 2 fields of prancer (323 textures on those two fields), leaving one field empty.
Since I was using 323 textures per field and that is supposed to guarantee 100% I was quite surprised to get a result of 100% and 99.8%.

This points towards my suspicions that the fields are somehow connected and what is on one field affects the other fields.
I started thinking of this when I notices more fails when not all fields we being done and more success when all fields were done.

prancer_112325.jpg

So for a quarantined 100% success use 323 textures/paint cans on ALL fields.

Last edited:
Nice guide!

But it seems that the max level for some textures are a bit on the low side in your overview?
You listed lvl 5 to max Hessian for example, but that takes lvl 7.6 to max

Nice guide!

But it seems that the max level for some textures are a bit on the low side in your overview?
You listed lvl 5 to max Hessian for example, but that takes lvl 7.6 to max

Good observation.

The reason that it says 5 is that the lower level textures are hard to guess since most people are already maxed on them so it was hard to get the info.

Same goes for the rare textures and the high level ones - maxed levels are a good estimation, since for some of the textures are impossible to even test.

As for the other - max level grows with the recommended level, from 1 level at start to 8 levels with high level textures.

Example:
1. Svempa XT is level 66 recommended and 73 to max ---> same as Morpheus texture - it's level 66 recommended and maxed at 73
2. Vivo UR125 (L) is level 25 recommended and maxed at 30 ----> same as Argonaut texture.

As you can see all Sib items have the same recommended and maxed levels and textures and colors follow that pattern.

If you are sure that the max lv for Hessian is 7.6 I will update the chart, but its is such a low lv texture, that it really doesn't matter.

The chart is more meant for medium to higher level textures.

Last edited:

If you are sure that the max lv for Hessian is 7.6 I will update the chart, but its is such a low lv texture, that it really doesn't matter.

The chart is more meant for medium to higher level textures.

Yes, I'm sure about that one. I recently maxxed it :)
If you'd like I can post the exact max levels for the lower textures as I reach them.

Back