100 PED to whoever gets me playing EU again! Losing all hope...

Hurrikane

Slayer
Society
GloryHound Irregulars
Oscar Hurrikane SkyQuake
HELP!!!!!!

Right, at long last I have a relatively good internet connection.

I am trying to download and run EU Vu.10.etc.

I am GOING F@CKING INSANE trying to get it to work. 3 days!!!!!!!

I have read several of the helpful threads in the technical section, but they all seem to be written in the language of those who know what the f@ck they are doing with computers. I DO NOT. I R NOOB in this respect.

I have followed as many instructions as I can understand and have got nowhere.

Current situation:

I eventually got hold of Vu 10.0 (original update, no patches attached) on a 4gb dongle. I installed it. When I go to connect, the client loader tries to download the set-up exe, although I'm pretty sure I have that already. It then gives me an error message...

"Error occurred when trying to download a file. Error description:

entropia_universe_10.8.0.42477_setup.exe"

SO.... then I tried the methods below, but fell at the first hurdle; don't have a clue what to do next.

Latest Full Installation File Version 10.8.0(3.1GB) - 2010/02/18:

Downloaded the above. Well, a bit of it. Timed out due to connection not liking more than an hour of continous service:(

entropia_universe_10.8.0.42477_setup.exe

When downloading a big file you should use a good download program; don't use your browser(I know it has a resume feature but not good enough)

Here the program I use when a file is big: WGET

1: get wget. download two zip files below and unzip them.

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gnuwin32/wget-1.11.4-1-bin.zip
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gnuwin32/wget-1.11.4-1-dep.zip

2: copy files in wget-1.11.4-1-dep\bin TO wget-1.11.4-1-bin\bin

Downloaded the above and think I copied one to the other, it said some files were replaced due to the same name. There's only one file instead of two now, it's called wget-1.11.4-1-bin\bin, no idea if I did this correctly though.

3: copy the command line below to a Notepad and save it as a batch file to get-1.11.4-1-bin\bin

wget.exe --tries=88 --waitretry=180 --continue --read-timeout=44 http://dlmirror.entropiauniverse.co....8.0/entropia_universe_10.8.0.42477_setup.exe

RIGHT: saved it to a notepad. Don't know what a batch file is. Can't find an option to save as a batch file. "To get" 1.11.4-1-bin\bin, you say.... w-what? Get it how? Get to it? Arrive at it? AAAGH!!!!!!

Then what?

Tried downloading through the browser originally btw; didn't work after download interrupted (my connection doesn't do 7 hour downloads lol).

If anyone can post, writing instructions AS IF FOR SOMEONE WHO HAS NEVER SEEN A COMPUTER BEFORE, and get this MASSIVE PILE OF SHITE to become a working installation, I will meet you in-game (I'll be the one jumping up and down with the joy of a released prisoner after nearly a year without EU) and give you 100 PED.

That's it, that's all, please help.

PLEASE.

Thank you.

Hurrikane.

Last edited:
This would be my aproach:

1.)Clean windows reinstall.
2.)follow direction on PE website.
3.)PLAY!

I R also NOOB when it comes to computers.

Have you...cough...contacted support? :S

This would be my aproach:

1.)Clean windows reinstall.
2.)follow direction on PE website.
3.)PLAY!

I R also NOOB when it comes to computers.

Done this several times.

1) Found EU files in add/remove programs, deleted it.
2) followed instructions. Fails at set-up exe stage every time without fail.
(Can't locate this file on my PC but am damn sure it's there. I also have the vcredist86 thing... should that do anything? Does it need switching on/putting somewhere/painting green and leaving out in the rain for week?)

3) I WOULD IF I COULD.

Hurrikane

Have you...cough...contacted support? :S

I thought the forums would be the best place to start looking for a solution before going for support. I see many posts detailing fixes. I have contacted support before. I was trying to fix this without waiting a week or two for a hard-to-follow or unspecific reply.

Hurrikane

PS this way worked for me when I needed to download EU onto my crappy old comp when the fan in my good comp busted

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...6-entropia-universe-vu-10-6-6-bittorrent.html

latest vu torrent (afaik) by mrproper:https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/2289138-post12.html

Ok, sounds good... but slow down there. Do I need both of these? Do I just click on them?

Sorry for needing specifics but sick of deleting duplicated files I can't find in the first place, my PC seems like a teenagers bedroom after a police raid right now; a huge pile of unsorted chaos.

OK clicked on it, got a forum post I don't understand at all.

Hurrikane

did you try to validate your instal ?
its in file in clien loader...

By the way, I have no idea what a torrent is, or how to use one.

This isn't helping me. I may set my PC on fire soon.

Hurrikane

did you try to validate your instal ?
its in file in clien loader...

Validate how?

The install of Vu.10.0 went in, I get the TOA page and the client loader, which automatically starts downloading (and failing) the set-up exe.

The other fix involving clicking on "File" on the client loader also no good for me as there is no "File" to click on and the download/fail of set-up is all that happens when the client loader is opened.

Before I get too confused: The client loader... is that the screen that says system requirements in top right corner, bit of news on the left, options and launch at the bottom right? Hate to think I even got that wrong.

Hurrikane

(I know, I should forget all about computers and go play darts or something)

Downloaded the above and think I copied one to the other, it said some files were replaced due to the same name. There's only one file instead of two now, it's called wget-1.11.4-1-bin\bin, no idea if I did this correctly though.

RIGHT: saved it to a notepad. Don't know what a batch file is. Can't find an option to save as a batch file. "To get" 1.11.4-1-bin\bin, you say.... w-what? Get it how? Get to it? Arrive at it? AAAGH!!!!!!

not sure why this is, you could just run the command from the cmd box (start > run > cmd). to save as batch file... goto save as, then in the "save as type" select "all files". now enter the file name as "[yourfilename].bat" and that should work. the 1.11.4-1-bin\bin directory is probably the wget installation path, i think the idea is you put in there so wget picks up and shows it in the interface? (never used)

i just use regular ftp from the command line. or download WSFTP for a GUI ftp tool, thats probably a good idea anyway (completly agree with Dandy dont use the browser for ftp, its crap)

when i had a corupt update before i found that just useing windows uninstall didnt work on its own. i had to go to C:\program files and delete the entropia universe folder manually. before trying to reinstall eu.

Ok, sounds good... but slow down there. Do I need both of these? Do I just click on them?

Sorry for needing specifics but sick of deleting duplicated files I can't find in the first place, my PC seems like a teenagers bedroom after a police raid right now; a huge pile of unsorted chaos.

OK clicked on it, got a forum post I don't understand at all.

Hurrikane

okay i checked those out and unfortunately they don't exist exist anymore :mad:
torrent is just a way to download a file - but your original download *should* work (try what etopia says also).

some things to try
  • Right CLick the PlanetCalypso file on your desktop and select "Run as administrator"

thingstotry.jpg

If this doesn't work:, try:

• Open ClientLoader , click in top left hand corner on "File" then click "Repair Installation"

thingstotry1.jpg

not sure why this is, you could just run the command from the cmd box (start > run > cmd). to save as batch file... goto save as, then in the "save as type" select "all files". now enter the file name as "[yourfilename].bat" and that should work. the 1.11.4-1-bin\bin directory is probably the wget installation path, i think the idea is you put in there so wget picks up and shows it in the interface? (never used)

i just use regular ftp from the command line. or download WSFTP for a GUI ftp tool, thats probably a good idea anyway (completly agree with Dandy dont use the browser for ftp, its crap)

LOL dude I know this is all helpful stuff to anyone normal but you are talking to a computer retard here. I've read this through and it still might as well be in mandarin chinese. ftp? wsftp? gui ftp? wget picks up and shows it in the what?

Does start>run>cmd mean go to start menu, click on run then type cmd?
And when I save it does it need saving anywhere in particular and do I need to do anything else with it?

Just thinking my ignorance in these matters may well be making the more tech-aware among you get as frustrated trying to explain this to me as I am trying to get it to work.

Imagine this: You need to get EU working to save the planet. Your only point of contact is a 95 year-old guy who has been raised in the Congo and views the computer he's sat in front of as an incomprehensible magic box of error messages. What do you tell him?

Hurrikane

• Right CLick the PlanetCalypso file on your desktop and select "Run as administrator"

Will try this next, after a calming sandwich. Apart from run as administrator is there a next step?

If this doesn't work:, try:

• Open ClientLoader , click in top left hand corner on "File" then click "Repair Installation"

My client loader does not have that "File" to click on. All I got is options and launch at the bottom, nothing else to click on. Am I right in thinking the File thing only came a few patches AFTER Vu.10.0?

Hurrikane

Ok, right clicked the EU Vu.10.0 thing and clicked on Run, selected administrator, got that %$£"*^!!! noise I'm beginning to hate and it said I can't do that.

Hurrikane

Validate how?

Before I get too confused: The client loader... is that the screen that says system requirements in top right corner, bit of news on the left, options and launch at the bottom right? Hate to think I even got that wrong.

Yes that it :)
the clien loader is that first page , with launch , option , and in top left , file...

Imagine this: You need to get EU working to save the planet. Your only point of contact is a 95 year-old guy who has been raised in the Congo and views the computer he's sat in front of as an incomprehensible magic box of error messages. What do you tell him?

we are in the depest shit ever and we will all die...
or something like that :D

why dont you try to just delete the entropia folder in c:\program file\(86)...
take a fresh new intaller in MA site , and start all since the beggin...
and if something go wrong , you will at least have the file validation system :)

Subscribing since I got exact the same problems as Hurrikane. There might be the correct solution.

Ok, right clicked the EU Vu.10.0 thing and clicked on Run, selected administrator, got that %$£"*^!!! noise I'm beginning to hate and it said I can't do that.

Hurrikane

I should have asked earlier what system you use (windows XP, Vista or Windows 7). Run-as-admin is usually not required for XP, but there are ways around it :p Let's try the calming sandwich and then the .exe i posted and see what happens :p

My client loader does not have that "File" to click on. All I got is options and launch at the bottom, nothing else to click on. Am I right in thinking the File thing only came a few patches AFTER Vu.10.0?

Hurrikane

Yes this feature i believe was introduced in 10.7

I'm on XP (I think lol)

Ok, downloaded the patch, opened and ran it. It then told me it couldn't find the EU install and to install it again.

Please tell me I don't have to find, delete and download it off the dongle again.... do I? I mean, it's there.... I can see it.....

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGH

batch file is simple. just save it with extension .bat. Windows recognizes succh a file as executable commandline script and will start it in a shell and execute the content

right, tried to run it instead of opening it (Vu.10.0) and got "not enough hard disk space"... it needs 3 gb or so, I've got 92Gb free?????

When opening it by clicking on the logo shortcut thing to start it, I get the same "fail" at set-up as before, with the patch not able to find the EU file when I tried that after.

Hurrikane

send beer & pizza to support and they will fix ya ASAP ;)

batch file is simple. just save it with extension .bat. Windows recognizes succh a file as executable commandline script and will start it in a shell and execute the content

save it how? with extension how? Am I really this stupid?

Hurrikane

I'm on XP (I think lol)

Ok, downloaded the patch, opened and ran it. It then told me it couldn't find the EU install and to install it again.

Please tell me I don't have to find, delete and download it off the dongle again.... do I? I mean, it's there.... I can see it.....

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGH

If i run this file I get the same message, which means it's probably looking for the file in the state 42477. Is the CLientLoader giving this error message now?

And what happens if you just try to "Launch"

Alternatively
go to this file location
technicalbs.jpg

And tell me what happens when you double-click Entropia.exe

Hurrikane,

1. Find someone who lives near you who plays and has the CURRENT vu.
2. Get them to copy their Entropia Universe folder onto a DVD and get it to you.
3. Copy this whole folder into your c:/programs folder. (If you've already got an Entropia Universe folder there, either rename it or move it off to a different backup spot if you want to keep it)
4. If you've not run since VU10 at all, you'll then need to follow the 5 steps in the sticky thread here to install the various Windows bits and pieces needed (that usually come with the download, but wont be on the DVD copy :) )

I've done this for a couple of people, and it seems to work ok.
Updating from an older version by patching just doesnt always seem to work well.

Im running a vista 64 bit (yes flame me) - - - -

Suddenly a mont or two ago i couldt install a new vu in my normal login account on my computer and the client loader told me i run a Win XP!! and only had around 1 gb of memory (i have 4gb).

I tryed to uninstall EU completly and did a new install. I tried to use the repair function still no luck.

Then i created a new User account on my computer and tried a new install - then i was happy again - all worked and in the new user account it could see im running a vista version of win and not XP :)

Now i can still use my old Windows account to play EU but i still cant install new VU from this account.

---

So try make a new user account on your comp with admin rights and try to install EU again.

GL

Done this several times.

1) Found EU files in add/remove programs, deleted it.
2) followed instructions. Fails at set-up exe stage every time without fail.
(Can't locate this file on my PC but am damn sure it's there. I also have the vcredist86 thing... should that do anything? Does it need switching on/putting somewhere/painting green and leaving out in the rain for week?)

3) I WOULD IF I COULD.

Hurrikane

There is also files in my documents that you have to delete... sent a support case to EU with the same problem they told me where to find all the files I have to delete etc.

To perform a clean installation please proceed as this:
Do a complete uninstall of Entropia via the Control Panel > Add/Remove programs
Delete the folder “Entropia Universe” manually from C:\Program Files if it is still there after the uninstallation.
Delete your Windows temporary files
Try deleting the files in these folders:
For Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Entropia Universe
C:\TEMP
C:\Documents and Settings\"YourUser"\Local Settings\Temp
For Windows Vista:
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Entropia Universe
C:\Windows\Temp
C:\Users\”Your User”\AppData\Local\Temp\entropia
Reboot your computer and then reinstall the Entropia Universe with installation file that you downloaded, you should temporarily disable your antivirus during the installation. In some cases we have received reports that their antivirus is actively scanning every file during the patching process, not only increasing the patching process greatly, but also causing some files to corrupted or even missing.

Hope this helps m8

Back