New Global/Print Screen Capture-Free From

Did a small research; I think it's window frame transparency or Windows Aero theme.

The following windows include Aero;

Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Enterprise, Windows Vista Home Premium, and Windows Vista Ultimate. Aero is not included in Windows XP or earlier versions of Windows.

To turn on window frame transparency also to turn it off I guess;

To turn on window frame transparency, the color scheme must first be set to Windows Aero.

Open Personalization by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Personalization.

Click Window Color and Appearance.

Select the Enable transparency check box.

Can you confirm if you have enable the Aero or frame transparency like above?

I can have a fix in next version to adjust the screen shot if this is the case.

cheer;

dandy
Yes i have Aero, no transparency though.
I do have a custom theme if you think that affects anything (http://lost.kapsi.fi/cail/media/vista.jpg)

Btw. atleast in my Vista it says only "Personalize", not "Appearance and Personalization", and easier way to get there is by right clicking on desktop -> Personalize ;)

Yes i have Aero, no transparency though.
I do have a custom theme if you think that affects anything (http://lost.kapsi.fi/cail/media/vista.jpg)

Btw. atleast in my Vista it says only "Personalize", not "Appearance and Personalization", and easier way to get there is by right clicking on desktop -> Personalize ;)

Ty;

At least I know it works on Aero themes.

Only issue now; how much adjustment is need for the screen shot to perfect it.

If users like Aero; I don't want to remove that option away just to take screen shots;)

I will probably ask for some favors later to do more testing.

cheer;

dandy

Preview of the next version once I sort out some issue regarding flame transparency;

Mainly reduce file size and memory usage; I don't think I can do any more in the future;)

version 0004 - No bugs that will cause any problem; some minor improvement
------------

1: Clean up my codes(remove spaces/comments); reduce file size about 1/3 and reduce RAM usage by more than 2MB(wow).

2: Print Screen sound (printscrvolume=8 as the default in pesetting.ini)
: 0 is to use your windows current wave volume; global sreen capture will overide volume if it is between 1 - 100)
: I default it as an 8 because I don't want to give some one a heart attack.

3: change back aths=Hall of Fame ALL TIME HIGH! Congratulations. TO aths=Hall of Fame ALL TIME HIGH! Congratulations! in pesetting.ini
: change this to your pesetting.ini if you have version 0003 and if you like to have a file name starts with ath if you are luck enough;)
: or else it will start with a file name global when you get an ath.

I did a quick little try ingame.

Seems I can't take screenshots with prntscr for some strange reason. It just doesn't register at all. No sound and no images in the folder. It does work to take screenshots of the desktop however, but that's not quite the same. :)

This was in Win 7 with Aero, frame transparency and in fullscreen mode.

Seems I can't take screenshots with prntscr for some strange reason. It just doesn't register at all. No sound and no images in the folder. It does work to take screenshots of the desktop however, but that's not quite the same. :)

Ty;

I think I know; when you say no sound for the Aero.

You were right; it didn't register the key stroke.

I will see if I can find a solution.

cheer;

dandy

Reactions: n1x
For my knowledge entropia blocks "hotkeys". Try to use listeners instead. And it will work fine. Those are some problems i had before.

Hi Hrafninn;

If you don't mind; Could you do a couple of dummy global tests for me?

File link below; will write a dummy global; and a dummy team global to chat.log

Put it in the same directory as globalx*.exe

When it runs; it will write the dummy globals in 6 seconds.

Could u be in full screen before 6 seconds kick in.

after that; could check if there are a couple of files in global directory?

This test to show if I should investigate further; and I might have the solution for the Print Screen key stroke(hope so)

GlobalTest.zip

big thanks

dandy

For my knowledge entropia blocks "hotkeys". Try to use listeners instead. And it will work fine. Those are some problems i had before.

Thanks Rizzet;

I have the same suspicion as you and also I Think Print Screen Key stroke for new Windows have changed some what.

cheer;

dandy

Really nice tool so far :thumup:

Just a couple of things/questions:
- I'd like an ability to disable sounds, don't usually like any plings or plongs :)
- Also, you obviously have some sort of timer there to catch the 2nd screenshot, it would be nice if you could choose the timing yourself, now i only get a screenshot with no swirless, and a screenshot where the animation is just starting (can only see some yellow glowing under my avatars feet).
- The screenshots have a couple of extra pixels on the top (also a bit on the side), see here:
http://lost.kapsi.fi/cail/eu/vu10/img_20100316_14_07_04_429.jpg
You can see a bit of what's on the background there, not a biggie, just wanted to mention this :)

Other than that, great tool!

Edit:
And one more thing, would be nice if you could open the settings by double-clicking the tray icon (or mouse right -> settings, or so) :)

I have fixed the Window Frames in Vista with Drop Shadows; it will be available shortly next version.

It was not a bug in the screen capture.

Most screen capture will get this frame problem. Some screen capture have fixed this and they aren't free.

I will release the next version in a week or two.

Am trying to fix Aero theme problem once I get my Windows 7 installed.

Once again; I like to ask to submit any bugs/problems asap so I can fix them all together with the next release.

cheer;

dandy

sleepless night just for version 0004

Hi all

I would like to introduce to you the latest version (0004)

I have improved several things in this release.

version 0004 - No bugs that will cause any problem; some minor improvement
------------

1: Clean up my codes(remove spaces/comments); reduce file size about 1/3 and reduce RAM usage by more than 2MB(wow).

2: Print Screen sound (printscrvolume=8 as the default in pesetting.ini)
: 0 is to use your windows current wave volume; global sreen capture will overide the volume if it is between 1 - 100)
: I default it as an 8 because I don't want to give some one a heart attack.

3: change back aths=Hall of Fame ALL TIME HIGH! Congratulations. TO aths=Hall of Fame ALL TIME HIGH! Congratulations! in pesetting.ini
: change this to your pesetting.ini if you have version 0003 and if you like to have a file name starts with ath if you are luck enough;)
: or else it will start with a file name global when you get an ath.

4: Remove Windows border when doing a screen capture
: This fixed Windows transparent border from displaying in the screen capture.

5: Add double click from the tray icon to display the setup_globalx.

6: Add Impermanent Avatar/Team List.
: This allow you to change/use other Avatar/Team temporary from a list.
: To use; double click on the tray icon; edit the list; then select from the list.
: The screen capture will use Your Avatar/Team when it starts again normally or select Use Your Avatar/Team from the setup_global without exiting.

7: fixed version x64 to capture from Print Screen key.

See First post for dedails.

dandy

Got a global last night to test it, and it was a little quick with the first screen, my feets are gloving and no items in the lootwindow even tho I didn't detect any abnormal lagg.
The second one looks good tho, but to be picky I would like the first one look like the second and the second one have the swirlies in the middle to top position.

any suggestions of the timer for first screen?? (want me to upload the screens or do you get what I mean?)

Got a global last night to test it, and it was a little quick with the first screen, my feets are gloving and no items in the lootwindow even tho I didn't detect any abnormal lagg.
The second one looks good tho, but to be picky I would like the first one look like the second and the second one have the swirlies in the middle to top position.

any suggestions of the timer for first screen?? (want me to upload the screens or do you get what I mean?)

Hi;

A hof/global lasts about 1 second(1000 milliseconds)

sleeploop=300 ((in milliseconds))
sleepcp=480
sleepglob2=200

Those three settings in pesetting.ini.

sleeploop:300 check chat.log every 300 milliseconds. So you the screen capture will take more at the beginning or a bit later depends when you get the global.

sleepcp=480 Once a global is detected, the screen capture will send location/time(in your option) and wait 480 milliseconds so that to give time for location/time to display before the first capture taken.

sleepglob2=200 After the first capture is taken, it waits 200 milliseconds before then second capture is taken.

So, sleeploop will always give you a bit of random of screen shots.

For your situation, you like to get swirls taken a bit later, then increase sleeploo or sleepcp or sleepglob2, but all three combined should be less than 1000 milliseconds(1 second)

Cheer;

dandy

ok I changed the sleeploop to 350 instead not sure if 50milli seconds are enough tho, and maybe i should decrease the sleepglob2 to something like 180-190 or so as it actually looked kinda good as it was

here you see what I ment, and as I wrote above 50milliseconds sounds very short so think it would be enough?

Last edited:
ok I changed the sleeploop to 350 instead not sure if 50milli seconds are enough tho, and maybe i should decrease the sleepglob2 to something like 180-190 or so as it actually looked kinda good as it was

here you see what I ment, and as I wrote above 50milliseconds sounds very short so think it would be enough?

Gz:)

I see you didn't enable "Send Global Time/Location".

The screen capture in your case didn't use "sleepcp=480" (wait for location/time display)

So your First screen shot was about 480 milliseconds too soon.

You can add as much as 480 to sleeploop if you don't use Send Global Time/Location.

I think I will add a sleep if Send Global Time/Location isn't enable in the next release.

cheer;

dandy

Hi

After a little of thinking, I am releasing a minor version 0004.1

If any one who like to control how fast/slow the first global is taken(when "Send Global ime/Location" is not enable) like jenny ferr.

Use "sleepglobal=400" to change.

Download an update here

globalx32_0004_1_up.zip - 32 bit application (upgrade from version 0004)

globalx32_0004_1_up.zip - 64 bit application (upgrade from version 0004)

Please change settings below back and use "sleepglobal=400"
sleeploop=300
sleepcp=480
sleepglob2=200

If "Send Global Time/Location" is enable, you can use "sleepcp=480 " to control your first global.

If "sleepcp=480" is too little then the capture might miss MA time/location.

cheer;

dandy

Final Stable Release

Hi;

New version, I ironed any bugs, improved speed and finally happy that this version is the most stable version(0005).

You can control almost every options/features what this screen capture does by editing pesetting.ini.

I will not release any more version, I think this version has lots of options/features and does what it does best.

I recommend that every who is using this screen capture to upgrade to version 0005.

cheer;

dandy

I would had one more request for this :)
Would had been nice if, you could right click the tray icon and there'd be "open folder" which would open the folder where the images are stored, would make things faster :)

Good tool nevertheless!

Sounds like a great tool... thanks! I will do some tests next time I'll have a chance (Vista 64, Aero and all).

Also, as someone else asked, do you mind telling us what did you use for development? Just out of curiosity.

Hi,
Would had been nice if, you could right click the tray icon and there'd be "open folder" which would open the folder where the images are stored, would make things faster :)
Would be great, yes - good idea!

Also, as someone else asked, do you mind telling us what did you use for development? Just out of curiosity.
Judging by above mentioned tray icon I'd bet on "AutoHotKey". Used it some time ago to make most boring, repetitive click orgies in a poorly written program a little more acceptable, and it looked quite similar.
Btw., it's not the only one of the current EU tools that shows this fancy tray icon ;-)

Have fun!

Hi,

Bug report here.

System: Win 7 pro 64bit, Aero and "accelerated desktop" disabled, EU in full screen

Problem: My first (and only this one) screenshot is strange, see yourself:

(notice the cursor!)

This is converted, I'm using PNG usually. The first one is below 200 KB, as above.
All subsequent ones are slightly below 2,000 KB, and OK.

Guess this didn't come with V0005, think I had it earlier yet. Just not really realized.

Will do a screenshot now at log in, just in case - so no major problem.

Happy coding! And have fun!

PS: Just tried again: Logged in, made 2 screen shots - first one is small and just a black screen with a cursor, second one is perfect. Strange.

Hi

I got some a miss part of a picture or a black screen some times, not too often.

Check if global*.exe in task manager isn't using a lot of CPU.

I have maxglobsize=500 in pesetting.ini too high.

Lower to maxglobsize=100 will improve a lot and less CPU usage.

Next version I will default it to 100.

Because it is not a directx screen capture, expect to get a bad picture some times.

Actually I never have a white image in my screen shot before. That is new to me.

Try to use Repair Installation if it finds any thing.

cheer;

dandy

version 0006 stable release

Hi

New release is now available; download links from the first thread.

version 0006 - change log

1: remove impermanentx*.exe. now is part of setup_globalx*.exe

2: globals, globals2 and logs folders have changed to global_1, global_2 and chat_log and moved, under globalx*.exe
: if you use the upgrade version, then this will not affect you.
: if you use the full version (and replace pesetting.ini) then you may have to move your old files to the new folder and deleted the old ones.

3: add option to be able to open your global folder from right click on the tray.
: default it will open global_1 folder, use openglobfiledir=global_1 to change which folder to open
: if you use the upgrade version then openglobfiledir=global_1 will be empty, and the default will be used.
: run setup_globalx* will add this option to your pesetting.ini if it doesn't exist

4: maxglobsize=100 , default is 100, if you use the upgrade version, it is best you change it to 100 in pesetting.ini to improve performance.
: maxglobsize controls how big the chat.log file before globalx* will delete/backup when it starts.

5: fixed print screen windows flames, according to your windows(x32/x64) or Aero Theme (enable/disable)

cheer;

dandy

4: maxglobsize=100 , default is 100, if you use the upgrade version, it is best you change it to 100 in pesetting.ini to improve performance.
: maxglobsize controls how big the chat.log file before globalx* will delete/backup when it starts.

just to be totally clear, this wont delete the original chat.log file, right?

Yes and No

The default is Backup; delog=N in pesetting.ini(see manual for details)

When the size of chat.log reaches maxglobsize=100, then it will move the file to chat_log folder.

The option is for performance if the chat.log is small.

The smaller the chat.log is; the better the performance.

cheer;

dandyP

Hi,

As Dandy explained it will delete the original chat.log file. Guess EU itself should do so - it would quickly grow to quite huge sizes, and it needs to be accessed by EU itself all the time. The bigger, the more memory consumption, the badder.

So this nice screen grabber not only does it's job, it also speeds up your EU with reducing unneeded memory usage ;-)
And, if you haven't manually changed, it backups your chat.logs, one file for every session, nicely named, in the "chat_log" directory near your global screen shots. So nothing is lost, it's all safe.

Why do I write this? :scratch: Dandy already did ... :duh:
Well, seems sometimes I like to talk ... :wise:

Anyway, came to report first experiences with V6:

1.) Tried what'd happen with my first screen shot (that prior would be of low size, and black) - worked!

2.) Checked the CPU hogging of globals64.exe with maxglobsize=400 (old), and found out it showed quite a load on my CPU (25). Reduced it to 100, now there's close to no CPU hogging anymore (00).

Have fun!

Yes and No

When the size of chat.log reaches maxglobsize=100, then it will move the file to chat_log folder.

cheer;

dandyP
thanks was just worried my locations wouldn't work at the same time but have done so far so guess it's no problem :)

Hi,

As Dandy explained it will delete the original chat.log file. Guess EU itself should do so - it would quickly grow to quite huge sizes, and it needs to be accessed by EU itself all the time. The bigger, the more memory consumption, the badder.

So this nice screen grabber not only does it's job, it also speeds up your EU with reducing unneeded memory usage ;-)
And, if you haven't manually changed, it backups your chat.logs, one file for every session, nicely named, in the "chat_log" directory near your global screen shots. So nothing is lost, it's all safe.

Why do I write this? :scratch: Dandy already did ... :duh:
Well, seems sometimes I like to talk ... :wise:

Anyway, came to report first experiences with V6:

1.) Tried what'd happen with my first screen shot (that prior would be of low size, and black) - worked!

2.) Checked the CPU hogging of globals64.exe with maxglobsize=400 (old), and found out it showed quite a load on my CPU (25). Reduced it to 100, now there's close to no CPU hogging anymore (00).

Have fun!
Thanks to you too for a more easy to read explanation as I just woke up lol
And found the old backup files and was pretty big so I see the need for it.

As I stated above I was afraid my Locations program wouldn't work but it have done so far except when EU failed to write the file itself for some reason, and then Global wouldn't work either ofc (BAAD MA missed my largest claim ever :( )

Yes and No

cheer;

dandyP

FYI.. This will cause Entropia Tracker (And to my understanding Etropia Planets Tracker - prehaps more programs using the chat.log) to stop working...

Hi,

FYI.. This will cause Entropia Tracker (And to my understanding Etropia Planets Tracker - prehaps more programs using the chat.log) to stop working...
You have tried it?

Because:
As I stated above I was afraid my Locations program wouldn't work but it have done so far [...]
And EU Locations reads the chat.log, too ...

Would be nice if the EU client (or even a server) would provide a socket for such information, so we wouldn't have to use such strange ways as reading the log file of another program - ways that are begging for problems, for sure.

Best IMHO would be if MA would provide:

1. A socket from server for Globals, HoFs, ATHs & Discoverys, where we'd be able to check in the EU options if we want to be named, or want to stay anonymous outside of the game. For the trackers. *1)
  2. A socket from server for all successful trades, anonymous data. For the price tracking sites.
  3. A socket from the client, providing all activity related data. For the ones that would like to know their performance.
  4. And a socket from the client providing all data useful for event-driven tools like screen shot utilities, skill gain collectors and such.

This way the chat.log could be left alone, and if MA would be thinking, they'd clean it on every log on & append the content to a chat_old.log, so the actual chat log wouldn't grow into the unbearable. Have been there (other game), have seen, it worked.

Have fun!

Edit: *1):
This would one and for all eliminate the abuse of the in game data by the various trackers, and the data security violations connected to it. The trackers atm use data not meant for them - the chat.log that is meant to be for an active participant in game, and collect & keep these data for ages, for everyone.
Such a change would not only bring juristic safety (and easier handling) for the tracker operators, it would be useful for MA too - imagine a case in the US where a marriage fails because she sees what he does when she's at work - we all know what claims for damages have been claimed reasonable in the US ...

Last edited:
The entire post...

I have suggested something like it - a bit more advanced tho, to MindArk... lets see what they say... :)

Hey Star,

If there is a problem when the chat.log is deleted then problem is within the program.

The global screen capture I created, still work, if chat.log is deleted before or after or during the screen capture is running, it has a basic intelligent to detect changes in chat.log

Plus the users have the full control what size to keep till when ever they want.

cheer;

dandy

Back