What would happen if we knew the Entropia system?

Just two quick notes here:

It is possible to create a private server. You "just" have to go arund the encryption of the traffic. This can either be done by attacking it or by removing the it (for example by using a hex editor). There is no need for a code leak. The Ultima Online server emulators use both of this ways and no code was ever leaked.

To make it simple, when you create a private server (and not use a leaked one) you want to know how a dialog between server and client looks like.

Client: Move a step into north
Server: You found dung at coordinates xxxx:yyyy
Client: Pick dung up

If you know how this looks like you can write a server:
Code:
if (message_from_client = "Move a step into north") {
    look_at_database_to_see_if_dung_is_nearby();
    if_so_send_to_client("You found dung at coordinates xxxx:yyyy");
}
I hope everyonem even the ones without programming skills understand what I mean with this.

The reason for giving this example is that it shows that you don't need to know how gains are generated to make a private server. You can create your own algorithms and also change how the game works.

I think World of Warcraft and Ultima Online are two examples, which show that these private servers don't kill games, so I don't really care about them. Especially because EU is about the gambling part and can be trusted more than the owner of a private server.

If the server code would get leaked I guess it would be enough to change some algorithms. If MA is afraid of people making servers with free PEDs (no RCE) they could simply do the same and make money by offering ingame ads or something else.

However, doing something like this is partly illegal in most cases and at least against the EU EULA.

Back