In need of some mining advice

Nirfu

Elite
Society
Rapture of Rebellion
Nirfu Nirfu Merlin
I picked up mining and did so out of 2 goals. Cycle ped and build my HP.

I have picked a few spots to visit and revisit. Right now I find Belkar, Cumbriz and Lysterium. My runs are with 100 bombs each and I’m using an OF-105 and an OM-104.
I move 50ish meters, stops, drops and wait for result, then I move 50ish meters again and do the same thing, over and over again. Sometimes I move shorter to get a more narrow search pattern. I use 25 bombs then move 50ish meters sideways and start to work my way back after another 25 bombs I move left and move in the other direction again this I also repeat (4 times). So far I’m on the plus side with this (if I don’t count decay which I don’t do). I have made an excel sheet where I keep track of all my findings and runs. I’m going in to this with 100% force and analysis. So far I only dropped bombs, no enmatter mining done.
I visit locations with low density of mobs, preferable low lvl mobs easy killed with a opalo or Breer M3a. I don’t use amps.
I sell all my ores in the auction, only if I find small amounts I save them for when I have enough to sell.
I will post my skills later, only thing I can tell is that I can handle the OF-105 and the OM-104. OF-105 has is now possible to tier up to 1.0.

Questions:
1. Is my drop rate OK?
2. Is it right to use a few spots or should I run in random locations?
3. Should I visit CND and use the same technique in one of the domes?
4. What about my setup?
5. Should I also drop an enmatter probe at the same spot as I drop the bomb(using a enmatter finder with similar stats as the OF-105?
6. Amps? (I don’t belive in them my self)
7. Should I tier up the OF-105 to 1.0?
8. Is my goals right?

1. Is my drop rate OK?
4. What about my setup?
8. Is my goals right?
If it's working for you, yes.
5. Should I also drop an enmatter probe at the same spot as I drop the bomb(using a enmatter finder with similar stats as the OF-105?
It doesn't hurt to try new things (i probably i have a t1 of-105 in storage i can sell you)
Increase ped turnover/day, and can sometimes be cheaper to use than unamped mining. (also see answer above)

Dropping every 50 m ??? or 110 m :scratch2:

drop, move50m, drop, move50m, drop, move50m, etc

I do like the top, I understand that you can do like the bottom one too. Top feels like you cover more area. And is it allways one find in reach of one drop? If the find is in front of me I move there (say 30m) and after all is pulled up I do a drop on the same spot, to cover things near it.

1. Is my drop rate OK?

When your out mining, then when your dropping a bomb and the window pops up, Start counting to 8-9 Seconds after the windows disappears, that usually gives you most area covered.

Find several locations where your able to hit well, that has High MU ore´s. This can take some time, but eventually you will find some sweet spots, which will pay off in the long run.

Personally, i dont like CND, you cant control what ore´s your find, so even after 10000 Bombs, you may only end up with an average MU of 105% which aint enough, People who wanna test their luck may go up here to hope for that big one.

4. What about my setup?

Your setup is fine, the OF-105 is the most used orefinder, and there´s no need to replace that anytime soon. Use the TT Extractor for small finds, and the better one for large deposits.

For least downtime, i drop bomb, wait the search window out, then i drop Probe, wait to the search windows close, and then back to Bomb again, this way im getting rougly the right range between both bombs and probes, and it doesnt keep you waiting :)

Amps are a great way of cycling peds, (netting higher returns) but at a cost.
Dry periods seem even longer, but those nice hits does give a smile occasionally :) But until you got several K peds to spend, then stay away from amps.

Not really a need, as its already a good finder and enhancers are still a bit overpriced.

8. Is my goals right?

Just keep at it, keep asking questions, and suck all the info in. remember good and bad area´s, and give each area a proper replenishment time. I usuallly wait 1 day between mining the same spot. Personally, i wait till i got 50 ped of an oretype before i put it on auction to minimize fee´s.

Good luck

Dude. Just do whatever works for you. "Works" = return 90%ish tt so with markup you go on profit, decay payed for too. That's all.

For your setup, check entropedia on decay of excavators versus efficiency. Test a few of them.

Yes, do what work for u and don't give up.

I noticed that mining work like probing in EvE.

Yes, do what work for u and don't give up.

I noticed that mining work like probing in EvE.

I think the don't give up is the best advice:D

I don't have time atm to go through all the questions, but I just wanted to say: keep track of the OM decay. It's peds vs pecs on the tt extractor for a little more time.

Best advice i can give you, is keep track of everything you do

Track, equipment used, areas mined, what you find, %'s, markups spent, markups recieved, amps used, ores/enmatters found, etc

And you will find similarities and patterns that will help you in the future

Alot of the data you take now might seem a little pointless, but helps greatly in future runs

Rgds

Ace

I picked up mining and did so out of 2 goals. Cycle ped and build my HP.

I have picked a few spots to visit and revisit. Right now I find Belkar, Cumbriz and Lysterium. My runs are with 100 bombs each and I’m using an OF-105 and an OM-104.
I move 50ish meters, stops, drops and wait for result, then I move 50ish meters again and do the same thing, over and over again. Sometimes I move shorter to get a more narrow search pattern. I use 25 bombs then move 50ish meters sideways and start to work my way back after another 25 bombs I move left and move in the other direction again this I also repeat (4 times). So far I’m on the plus side with this (if I don’t count decay which I don’t do). I have made an excel sheet where I keep track of all my findings and runs. I’m going in to this with 100% force and analysis. So far I only dropped bombs, no enmatter mining done.
I visit locations with low density of mobs, preferable low lvl mobs easy killed with a opalo or Breer M3a. I don’t use amps.
I sell all my ores in the auction, only if I find small amounts I save them for when I have enough to sell.
I will post my skills later, only thing I can tell is that I can handle the OF-105 and the OM-104. OF-105 has is now possible to tier up to 1.0.

Questions:
1. Is my drop rate OK?
4. What about my setup?
8. Is my goals right?

1. A tad long, but if it works, keep it. It sounds like you've read around already about how to measure running distance/time, so I would recommend 110m between misses and 25m+ between hits.

2. Imho, it's an investment. Whether you win or lose in an area you'll never know until you try it for the first time. When I try a new area, I never go with my last peds, but with my profit, knowing full well I could find nothing, but paying for information about the richness of an area.

3. As a general rule, you don't want to go to CND until your prospecting/survey is over level 10 and you unlocked CGA (I waited until I had 100 points in CGA as well.) Nowadays, you want to go with better than the OF 105. Since VU 10, the tk120 is the minimum recommended finder, and you want over 80% of the average max depth of any finder you use, so 80% on the tk120 is the minimum I would recommend before going.

4. Check the drill carefully. I don't have exact numbers, but I suspect that bigger drills pull faster with a higher decay. I pay 2 ped per 14,000 oil pullled with the tt drill, even better efficiency with the tt miner. While it may take more pulls and take longer, I think I'm saving, which is key when the MU on lyst/oil is in the 105% range and it already costs 2% to refine.

5. Currently, the prevailing wisdom says alternating drops at 10 second intervals results in the most hits. As compared to +1 above, this seems to trigger a different loot cycle than using only one type. Double-bombing, however, is consistently counterproductive and nobody has found (regardless of the richness of the area) that double bombing results in more finds, only fewer. That being said, my personal double-bomb theory is to only double bomb when the find is within 10m of the drop point, otherwise, I always move 10-20m before dropping a second bomb after a hit.

6. There appears to be a hidden level in amps. If the amp is lowering your hit rate (25% on planet, 5% on cnd,) the amp is too high for you and you should use a lower one. Personally, 101's hurt me until like level 15, 102's hurt me until lvl 25, and 103's continue to reduce my hit rate at level 28-29. The 105-109's are exceptions to this rule, however, and may be used at lower levels.

7. No. Enhancers give a % of the current stats of whatever item you are using. Ones I have used:
Depth: 10% more depth.
Range: 1% more range.
Skill: 10% increase in professional level (again useless if it's already maxxed)

That being said, it's pretty pointless to increase any of the stats on the of105 by these amounts. However, I have almost maxxed the tk320, and with 3 levels of enhancers, I can hit 1.1k m with my deepest find being 1.4km.

On the other hand, if you (like me) just want to make residue, sure, tier it.

8. If you just want to cycle ped, then saving them up to auction is a waste of time. You probably need to invest like 1k into your stash (1.5k is better actually) to save up enough to sell, and you have to pay a minimum of 1-2% refining fee and .2%-.5% auction fees. In many cases, you are waiting a week or more to get a 100 ped stack of something where you'll only make 1 ped profit or less. Find good resellers in Twin (I would recommend Sarah or Mou) to speed recycle time.

Regarding hps, unless the 105 is giving you SIB, it's an inefficient way to get hps. Starting in VU10, I used only Sib finders and have since gained 11 professional levels (6 in prospecting, 5 in Surveying) and have gained around 5 hps.

Last edited:
Personally i preferr to mine while im hunting. i dont drop a pattern. If i TP somewhere ill drop a bomb when i land then jump again. While im hunting ill drop them while i hunt keeping in mind to cover an area. Works for me. GL with your mining though. :)

Wish to add to question #6.

At what level does one want to start applying amps for mining runs? I'm level 8 right now and not sure if i should hold off or look into getting an amp to help my finds.

Wish to add to question #6.

At what level does one want to start applying amps for mining runs? I'm level 8 right now and not sure if i should hold off or look into getting an amp to help my finds.

When the markup of ores you regularly find pays for the markup of the amp.

My rule on amps is "If you have to worry about cost vs return then you can not viably mine with them".

Amps are for gamblers and people who are poor at math. Simple as that.

Hallo M8.

First off all I am NOT and ûber miner :yay:
I am Mining on CND for 4 Weeks now on the same deposit i made in Ped. Did start with 500 PED and now im down to 300 PED.

So i think you can try out CND if you like. Dont calculate on making PED . Sometimes CND is good to you sometimes you loose. Ill stay on CND until i run out of PED. Then Back to Claypso and do a new deposit.

Just my two PEC

Regards.
Lana

drop, move50m, drop, move50m, drop, move50m, etc

I do like the top, I understand that you can do like the bottom one too. Top feels like you cover more area. And is it allways one find in reach of one drop? If the find is in front of me I move there (say 30m) and after all is pulled up I do a drop on the same spot, to cover things near it.

mate ,that's awesome testing . would you be so kind to offer some results of average tt per run and average hit (claim find) per run ?
there is a lot of bs theories in mining *hunting also has weird mob ideas* about minerals (like let the ground rest for a week, lol) and your mining style could show intesting things about overlapping .
i did also 2 "tests" on ores/probes about 120 drops total on a run, first at 80 m each and after that another day 120 drops 60 m each . my tt return was pretty low , about 60 -66 % , but my claim detection rate was about 20-22 % .
so claims were not rare , but with such tt return i didn't have the guts to keep going , lol .
good luck !

Last edited:

Nirfu try changing your ore finder , I had the same problem until i didn't change my ore finder.Then some more globals and even a smaller hof came to me .
thats all

Now I do like this, I drop a bomb, then move 25m drop a probe, then move 25 drop a bomb and so on.
So same pattern as before but now with added probes. And so far I'm ding OK, recycling my peds at least.

What I see is that if I'm on lower ground it feels like I get bigger finds. Like the claim is an iceberg and if I'm to high I only "reach" the top of it. This could also be that the places who is higher up has smaller claims, I don't know. But sometimes I drop a bomb/probe, move a bit further down a hill, just 10-15m and then drop another bomb/probe and then I get a claim up the hill where my first drop should have found it.

Anyway, I keep struggling, thx for all advices.

It'd be interesting to see you get the average hitrate ~25% with your technique, seeing as (unless I'm mistaken) you're double bombing every drop (due to only moving 50m instead of 100-110m).

General understanding is that since a finders' range is usually around 55m, you want to have a distance of 100-110m between bombs, unless you are intending to "double bomb" within your finders' radius.

xBOMBx >---100m---> xBOMBx

OR (if alternating)

xBOMBx >---50m---> xPROBEx >---50m---> xBOMBx >---50m---> xPROBEx

It'd be interesting to see you get the average hitrate ~25% with your technique, seeing as (unless I'm mistaken) you're double bombing every drop (due to only moving 50m instead of 100-110m).

General understanding is that since a finders' range is usually around 55m, you want to have a distance of 100-110m between bombs, unless you are intending to "double bomb" within your finders' radius.

xBOMBx >---100m---> xBOMBx

OR (if alternating)

xBOMBx >---50m---> xPROBEx >---50m---> xBOMBx >---50m---> xPROBEx

If I do like u say I will get the the lower pattern since the range are circles I would only cover the midle part of my path. Now I get a thick line instead of a lot of dots. Right or wrong, who knows, at least it feels OK and I don't feel like I loose on it. The strange part is that find things on several drops in a row. I still think the hight of the land has an impact on the result.But I'm just a noob at mining so any thought or tip is more than welcome.

Back