What is MA hiding...?

"We all know that" - the Earth is flat!

:yay:

theres always one :D but you look for your investment interest right? not whether you are going to buy their prodcut.

i've brought a VW and it has some value, doesnt make me shareholder in VW GBmH.

lol, does your VW instantly become worthless if the company goes out of business?

really not a good or relevant comparrison at all....

actually, I don't deposit. and, my avatar has quite a bit of market value. but, this doesn't make me a shareholder. I (and every other avatar) am part of what MA calls a conditional liability. which means their only responsibility to me is to pay out, if I ask for it.

they are still a privately held company and have absolutly no obligation to publically release any finanical statements. it really nice that they have, in the past, as I mentioned before. they are quite interesting to read.

however, spending momey on an online game is not investing in the company that runs the game. I can understand that if you had a big pile money tied up in the universe, you might be interested in the health of the company that's holding it - which is fine. however, to speculate and basically rumourmonger about what they're doing is not helping matters.

so far, they've switch their graphics engine and they've brought the first planet partner online. this tells me that things are basically okay even if it's taken them longer than they expected. what is considerably more interesting is what the other planet partners will look like when they're deployed. and, what the missing systems will look like when they're reintroduced. this will tell me much more about the viability of the universe than reading their financials. that document only tells me if the management are competent or not. for me, I'm more interested in the product's long term capability to interest players to join and stay.

this is eactly the point, their entire business rests on the consumers confidence in the health of their company. All of the replies about "i'm not a shareholder so i dont care, etc" are pure lol. If something were to happen to MA there would be a whole lot more caring about financials on this forum lol.

btw, how do you figure that spending 40,000 USD on a mod fap isnt the same as investing in MA? Do you not lose the 40k if MA loses?

I dont think the legal definition of investment or shareholder is the point. I guess some do, lol.

btw, how do you figure that spending 40,000 USD on a mod fap isnt the same as investing in MA? Do you not lose the 40k if MA loses?

because, it isn't. and, yes, you do lose the 40K, if MA goes under. it's also very likely that your 40K "value" might erode considerablely just in the normal course of time without seeing any financial failing on MA's part.

however, if you had 40K to spend in an online game, then you must certainly be able to afford to lose it. otherwise, why did you spend it? there are far better real and more secure true investments available than speculation on the possible future price of some insanely priced virtual toy within a game.

in any event, if you did morgage your house and jepordized your future because you thought you were "investing" via an on-line game, I can see where you might be concerned about your ability to recover. my advice would be to immediately cash out and relieve yourself the associated stress. I'm sure your finanical advisor would have a few more suggestions as well.

because, it isn't. and, yes, you do lose the 40K, if MA goes under. it's also very likely that your 40K "value" might erode considerablely just in the normal course of time without seeing any financial failing on MA's part.

however, if you had 40K to spend in an online game, then you must certainly be able to afford to lose it. otherwise, why did you spend it? there are far better real and more secure true investments available than speculation on the possible future price of some insanely priced virtual toy within a game.

in any event, if you did morgage your house and jepordized your future because you thought you were "investing" via an on-line game, I can see where you might be concerned about your ability to recover. my advice would be to immediately cash out and relieve yourself the associated stress. I'm sure your finanical advisor would have a few more suggestions as well.

Because EU is much about the RCE many of us of cource are intrested in the economy of MA.

I'm afraid you are simply out of date here. The present mix of mobs not only allows you to loot armor, sib weapons and a fap at the swamp camp. Being there and going slightly wurther afield will also get you shogun in time. so what part of gearup is missing?

rofl

message too short

He edited it out CHOPPER. His original post did have a "omg loot sucks" statement.

I did not edit anything out, I added something.

I'm afraid you are simply out of date here. The present mix of mobs not only allows you to loot armor, sib weapons and a fap at the swamp camp. Being there and going slightly wurther afield will also get you shogun in time. so what part of gearup is missing?

Goblin, Pixie and Shogun isn't exactly gearing up.

i am sure MA is doing ok.

I am more interested in the economy in the game. Who is sucking all the money out. Becouse i dont think its MA doing it.

I am more interested in the economy in the game. Who is sucking all the money out. Becouse i dont think its MA doing it.

i think its more of a case of money isnt coming *in*. there was this banking problem and the world went into recession, you might have read about in the paper ;) so people cut down their deposits or stop altogether.

Stupid super-ATH's gives less ordinary loot and longer recycling. Forcing players to deposit more often = Players feels like their hand allways digging in their pocket for more. Items in loot are missing. Just wool,oil, hides and other new crap. Skills don't f*c*ing move.

MA lost it. They forgot what this game was all about. Kick your useless staff and come back to reallity MA. People don't buy this shit. Its to obvius where u heading :laugh:

I just thought I'd pipe in with one or two words of faux wisdom...

A few people have rightly said that in all likelihood deposits are lower per capita than they've been in the past. There are still quite a few players hunting/mining/crafting, but in general people will be spending a bit more carefully than they've been in the past for a few reasons, and this helps to amplify the issue.

I think the real issue here is overwhelmingly obvious. I've said it a bunch of times before, but I still believe it to be true.

MA's income is having to be spread more thinly than ever before. There are more 3rd party owned land areas, more development costs and more 3rd parties to pay than ever before for MA. Every cent you deposit is paying for a whole lot of stuff behind the scenes. What does this mean? Less for the players of course!

As a percentage, I'd say under 50% of the money that goes into EU comes out in loot (and that's probably being generous), and that's a hell of a drop. Sure, sometimes you're going to get more of that 50% than others, but it has to average out long-term.

The way loot is distributed hides this fact a little bit, and gives people the false impression that they can actually mostly come out on top. If you run the numbers, it's a pretty impossible feat.

Bring into this all the factors you like, but the simple fact is that for all the money that goes into EU, a much smaller percentage can come out, otherwise it's never going to work. Skill really has nothing to do with it. It's as plain a fact as the sun in the sky.

I really don't believe lack of financial reports is an indicator of anything. If there was something to hide, it would be really hiden and we would'nt see it obviously lol. Missing financial reports is not really something you don't see ;-)
What is believable is the following thing:
New planet just came out, at the time when usually reports are published. Hence, imagine that you report a big drop in frequentation, or/and that the players pool awaited for the new planet (let's say 2500 randomly) is much much lower (800), 2 weeks after your new product (rocktropia) is out. ---> you would sink your own ship immediately. No more investments, marketing becomes hard to do etc etc etc..but it's a move, not a conspiracy, i mean everybody would do it.
In the other case, if you got a bubble (many new players coming in but will quit next month) you have to release your report as soon as possible, so you anticipate it. To boost your product. This is more of a trick, as you overrate the product, and the harder the fall.
For me it's as simple as that. Rocktropia has not drained enough new players, or they played just an hour, to acount themselves what joke this "gamino" is.

Well i personnaly was on rocktropia the first 24h and saw many many many people creating a char and quiting immediately after 1-2 hours of asking "what can i do"? "where can i sweat?" "wth is this a joke?" and some better ones ,-). Maybe they come back the day after...but i doubt it, because the proper of a good mmo is that you stick to it at least 3 days before starting to think lol. First time i played EU i stayed exactly 8 minutes, i remember. The only reason i came back was i'm a hardcore former player and want to be a part of the RCE as the supposed "future of the mmo". hardcore player? 1% of pop? 1/1000? And alll of them persued they are smarter and will make profit from it? great players pool hihi. --> Lemmy go bring people to RT, where is your fan base?

Hence, I would understand Rocktropia is a total flop: go read teasers "musicans game, create your own musical products, free forever" and go compare with reality of ground: beside the nice but sooo static graph engine, when was last time you saw such a crap?
1) One button, no animation, no actions. just click or, even more exciting, push auto-click. There is strictly nothing to do exept of course dreaming of big numbers that you see constantly on the general window.
2) all but not free at all, as nothing is in life even sometimes love. To zillions years old veteran p(l)ayers, one thing to say: Try NOW in 2010 to build up a char from nude+sweater, and in Rocktropia please would be nice to see how much you all are sooo smarter than the others.
3)UI horrible, just the drag and drop process when you move things in bags is absolutely unbelievably awfull. We are not in 1992, if you want to drain gamers then make it seem like a game, not a casame or gasino choose your term. Not to mention the lame chat ui, not even able to do better than starcraft... Wake up, you cannot tell people "don't try to make money, make fun" and give them the most boring environment ever created!
4) What to do? where are the books ig for inner knowledge, the minigames like at least a chess board or a card deck to have a break with pew pew or zip zip? Where is the aim, the vision of these supposed developpment companies like fpc? Go check Ultima Online beginning team and ask them, they did the best-ever rpgs, both solo and online. Ten years ago..
What can I really do if I want to PLAY (not to stay at AH or autosweat a friggin mob) exept quiting the game and go back to any WoW-like? with 20$/month, price of a regular mmo, tell me something exiting, gratifiant to do, i've read the noobie section it made me depress. I can make more fun and time with one $ on any poker room, AND i can play hours and have more fun with freerolls, hence on pokerrooms i really don't need money to "play", it's not a lie hehe. Just thinking as a potential new comer, then i don't say it's what i think, but it's factual appareance of it.
I personnaly play it

For the loots, we are all aware that there aren't 10x more players but the daily big loots are 10x higher...I think we all understood that this is a marketing move too, instead of giving 100x 1k ped you give 1x 100k and make 99 players compulsively depositing and/or dreaming of that 100k. And it makes the others believe that plenty people are playing, so we empty the facility and go pew. And it makes me think loots are the same, just the way they are distributed is atm very frustrating for the 99,9% of people bringing back -50% of their hunt value days after days, whatever the spot the mob the size of hunt. I'm of these 99,9%. obviously the 0,1% hiting the 25-100k will be the best portectors of the system now :laugh:
But to those thinking it will be same long-term: i'm afraid that type of cycle (having one ath one time instead of plenty globs) could statistically be 100-200 years of hunting at 2hours/day, sure i don't know but possibely. Good luck with your long-term equilibrum hehe.
When you increase variance, you never stabilize a system, so "long term" (=average) for ONE given player, not for global stat, is indeed allways directly related to the variance as it will require a lot of more samples to get it.
I personnaly would prefer to see 1000 people hiting a 100 peds than 1 hiting 100k, and i will think it even if by a miracle i was the lucky guy.
Another very simplified but so popular vision of it: "If there is 1 person winning 1k, there must be somewhere 50 persons loosing 20!!"

My post is too long, if you did'nt agree with nothing i'm sure you'll agree with me on that last point.

Filibert

Back