PlanetCalypsoForum.com :: Entropia Universe Discussion and Resources

View Poll Results: Is NEVERDIE too involved in Game development to continue to participate in EU with his NEVERDIE avat

Voters
362. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes; He should give up his avatar

167 46.13%
  • No; Let him continue to participate

146 40.33%
  • I can't decide.

49 13.54%
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 ... LastLast
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Mandu Mojo Marconi
    Society
    Freelancer
    Blog Entries
    Images

Should NEVERDIE be banned?

I'd like to preface this post by saying that I am about 300ml into a bottle of scotch

I was dreaming tonight about how cool it would be to own/operate a planet. All the awesome ideas I have, being able to get rich, having some inside knowledge about the mechanics of EU..... then I stopped and thought " I don't want a planet if it means I can't play anymore. Surely I wouldn't be allowed to play if I had knowledge before hand of what would drop what on my planet. I could manipulate the economy of my entire planet. Even if my Mandu avatar were not the one playing.

It wasn't long before my thoughts moved to NEVERDIE. Jon has been closely involved in the development of 2 planets (some would argue 3). Should he be allowed to participate in the mechanics of this game?

At what point are you too involved in the universe to participate. I've heard that MindArk employees are required to play, but cannot deposit or withdraw. That makes sense. But what must you do to be an employee. File Taxes? Empty Garbages? Create two planets?

Anyway... thought I would ask the community. Should people so close to the core of the game be allowed to interact with the mechanics of it?

Edit:
    Thought I should add; I have nothing against ND, nor do I begrudge him making money here. I just thought a debate should be had about when a person is too close to the core of the game to play it.

Edit 2:
    After having read the replies here, and in the sober light of Monday, I would like to rephrase slightly my question:

When does the potential damage to EU become so great, a person must remove themselves, or be removed.

I don't really believe that ND has or will cheat. But just imagine:
    On launch day, Jon is showing a reporter around Next Island. A mob attacks the reporter, and ND courteously kills it, and hits an ATH loot with 3 UL items, one of which is unique. Imagine the outrage!!

Pretty unlikely, sure. But what if. Same as with the contest example in one of the earlier replies. It is less about the possibility of cheating, but the perception of it.

I am sure there is a way for ND to continue his business ventures in EU, and to remove this type of possibility. Give him an Official avatar like Marco's maybe.

ND is just one very high profile example of the types of situations that MA should be making very sure don't destroy the reputation of EU at a time that is likely to be the beginning of a new future for it.
    Last edited by mandu; 04-27-2010 at 02:30.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    Maria Mesh
    Society
    The Ministry
    Blog Entries
    Images

yes.

In my opinion, yes. Sure, he does not know 100% how loot pool works, but he did do some level designs, I'm sure... so he probably knows some insider info like maybe where the spawns are, or at least knows some of the terrain enough to know where to go to get a bit of an advantage in pvp or in running away from mobs and stuff like that.

What I just wish, regardless of if he stays in the game or not, is that he'd stop hyping EU to be something it's not...

I do see that Rocktropia finally changed the website to no longer advertise free unlimited travel, but there still seems to be a lot of stuff going on that tells me Jon might have a little too much of advantage, or be in a place in various contract negotiations that might give him a little too much advantage...

What I'd like to see, just for the heck of it... a big PvP battle between all the FPC and Rocktropia main avatars. There'd have to be some special rules in place. Maybe nobody can have anything more powerful than ghost and TT weapons? Make it so that after the one on one, anyone can join in... Let's see how many sprees there end up being on Neverdie or Marco, lol. Maybe it could become a monthly event or something - and it'd also be how MA and FPC work out frustrations and fight out who wins on contractual arguments.

Chaotic Good
    Become a premium member today and enjoy enhanced PlanetCalypsoForum features!
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    MegaVolt
    Society
    Kaos
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mandu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyway... thought I would ask the community. Should people so close to the core of the game be allowed to interact with the mechanics of it?
    I think (hope) that even if the Mindark employees (for example Hanne / Skam) know how the system works, there is sufficient randomness that they couldnt predict with any certainty when or where some big loot would happen.

If that is indeed the case, then I dont have any problem with Neverdie doing the Camp Echidna Fouls mission (which I saw him doing yesterday )

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Donatello Donatello Nobatti
    Society
    Brainstormers - Communications Officer
    Images
    yea really.

How's it going to look if a planet developer hits a huge ATH on his own planet?

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Tommygun Ze-Tomb Raider
    Society
    -TAO- [First Circle]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega View Post
    I think (hope) that even if the Mindark employees (for example Hanne / Skam) know how the system works,
    Hanne/Skam doesn't know how it works.

And back onto ND, him and his team use the platform, not necessarily go inside and look at every piece of code in it. For the RT exclusive items, he could easily use a MA designed part of the program and put in MA Balancing Approved items without even knowing how the system works.

Sure he can choose what mob and generally (maybe?) how often, but he wouldn't need to know how everything works.

In conclusion, ND should be able to play on Calypso/CP/CND. And If he couldn't CND would be boned up the ass.
    Account Created 2007-06-25
    Revived in Port Atlantis to grow up as Atrox Chow.
    McCormick's Collection of in-game Music VU3.4 till VU9.4

Pauhe Cybertrash Gunor
    Society
    Age of Enlightenment
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mastermesh View Post
    What I just wish, regardless of if he stays in the game or not, is that he'd stop hyping EU to be something it's not...
    i disagree with this he is not hyping it to be something it is not, he is helping this game along in so many more way than many people could he is just trying to help build a better world for us all.
    MMORPG = "Many Men Online Role Playing Girls"

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    JJ Ony Matrix
    Society
    Freelancer
    Images
    He wasn't stopped from playing years ago when he started working for MA... so why stop him now?

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Ricko Mojo Suave
    Society
    Freelancer
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauhe Gunor View Post
    i disagree with this he is not hyping it to be something it is not, he is helping this game along in so many more way than many people could he is just trying to help build a better world for us all.

There is constructive hype and destructive hype.. ND usually hypes ideas that do not come true which does not help anyone.. ie space pirates.

Pauhe Cybertrash Gunor
    Society
    Age of Enlightenment
    Images
    firstly RT has not even been officially released yet its still Beta.... so if anyone is getting at this then get of your high horse, hes done a shit load more for EU than most.
    MMORPG = "Many Men Online Role Playing Girls"

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Ricko Mojo Suave
    Society
    Freelancer
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauhe Gunor View Post
    firstly RT has not even been officially released yet its still Beta.... so if anyone is getting at this then get of your high horse, hes done a shit load more for EU than most.
    Thats because Eu has done a shit load more for him than for anyone else too lol $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 ... LastLast