What does scopes and laser sights really do?

We asked them and they are asking us back :D
One thing they do know is, that they genrate decay and thus income for them :D

sounds about right. ;)

The Support team has received numerous support cases inquiring about the functionality of weapon attachments lately. To meet the demand of the community, and to clear out a previously communicated misunderstanding, we have decided to provide some more information on the subject. As always, the details we provide are limited, but we hope they will shed some light on the issue.

Apart from the advantageous visual information that you receive when using scopes and laser sights, such attachments affect your ability to aim, as explained in the Items Info. We have realized that this information is unclear today and you will therefore see an update of this information in an upcoming release.

A previously given reply in a support case stated that a scope or laser sight “only affects the effective range of the weapon”. This was unfortunately an erroneous and poorly informed statement. We would like to apologize for publishing this misinformation and for any confusion caused by it.

Originally Posted Here

So the attachments does not affect yours.....

1. Skills or your skill bonus.

2. Loot.

3. Decay.

4.Crit. Hits from the enemy or from you.

5. Hitability.

So whay buy them its only a waste off money.:)

I find the phrasing "affect your ability to aim" interesting as that's not quite the same as "improving the probability of hitting the target" from a game mechanics standpoint.

*during PE early development stages at MA HQ*
dude1: Hey, wouldn't it be cool if the players could put scopes and lasers n stuff on their guns?
dude2: Great idea! Let's make 'em and put 'em in!

*seven years later at MA HQ during... later development stages*
dude14: So.. these scopes and lasers... people are asking what they do. What DO they do?
dude9: lol i dunno, they're from before my time. I asked dude4 but he forgot.

------------------------
Seems to me like the most probable answer :rolleyes:

I find the phrasing "affect your ability to aim" interesting as that's not quite the same as "improving the probability of hitting the target" from a game mechanics standpoint.

Exactly.

But the item info says "Skill Modification", so thats the thing im hoping for MA to tell us more about...

"The ability to aim" is just a demostration how first they apologize for giving erroneous info, and then just give bs like that

ill just give it a bump so it wont be like this in the MA office "phew they forgot"

another use for lasers and scopes...

...Otherwise, unless we actually are given a proper reason for the 'use of scopes et al.' I think I will simply get rid of my scopes and laser sights. (not meant as some huffed up threat, just common sense coming out into the open; that sure is a lot of PEDs tied up in those items)

:twocents: ty

Ossi!

While I STILL WAIT for a proper reason for the 'use of scopes et al.' it seems all my Lasers are gone now.. OM-NOM-NOM-NOM-NOM.. *feeds the TT*

but on a good note, I found lasers help buy a Karma Killer ;)

at least the decay on that is justified... I am sure I ain't the only player who is totally pissed that this has carried on so bloody long..

Ossi!

so update?
give them time, they didn't find out yet

how can you expect they know the game and its mechanics?
who do you think they are, the developers?

wait...

probably they wait til the community does extensive pedwasting tests to find out they do nothing until they answer :silly2:

[Theory]
HA @ 10/10 gives a 90-92% hitability only at point blank range, the further away the target is, the less is your hitability until exceeding the weaponds max range after which you cant hit at all. The lasers and scopes raises the hitability but cant exceed 90-92% and is the most beneficial at the weaponds max range.
[/Theory]

/Wille

Edit: Why else do every single mob even those how do ranged damage run up to you when attacked?
Edit2: Got the numbers wrong.

Last edited:
With very low skills and UL weapons you have around 80-82% hitrate, with 10/10 HA you have around 90-92%, atleast i have that on 10/10 HA (L) weapons.

I have 3 reactions while reading this thread.

1. I was laughing at their stupidity ......
2. I was angry coz of their stupidy, ignorance, and lack of communications skills (this thread infact has made more players frustrated and angry with them than doing the opposite).
3. I'm a bit angry with myself...what the hell i'm doing (spending time and money) with a company that looks like doesn't have the people to to run it efficiently to have a future!

Taking 3 deep breaths...self hypnosis is nice :)

With very low skills and UL weapons you have around 80-82% hitrate, with 10/10 HA you have around 90-92%, atleast i have that on 10/10 HA (L) weapons.

:duh: Yes and thats what I meant to wright, thx for pointing it out.

/Wille

Last edited:
[Theory]
HA @ 10/10 gives a 90-92% hitability only at point blank range, the further away the target is, the less is your hitability until exceeding the weaponds max range after which you cant hit at all. The lasers and scopes raises the hitability but cant exceed 90-92% and is the most beneficial at the weaponds max range.
[/Theory]

/Wille

Edit: Why else do every single mob even those how do ranged damage run up to you when attacked?
Edit2: Got the numbers wrong.

This is my understanding too.

hehe i was looking for some update of this case one week ago or so.... of course also found nothing :D

maybe we will get something like:
"We will clear up all open questions about our gamemechanics until the end of the year."

:lolup: yes we know that kind of promise already :lolup: :duh:

all that stuff around EU turns more and more just into sad section (slowly i cant laugh about all that anymore) :tapfinger

What does scopes and sights really do?

The answer from my perspective is that it is just there to piss off crafters when they put start bid of +0 and people actually bid on that and win. Done that many, many, many times. It's always funny to watch how after one of those auctions goes through the market manipulators up the price on an auction later that day or the next. ;) :)

I thought we did get answers on this in the end? Lasers and scopes did practically nothing in the past except at long range where they increase your hit rate a little, and when that was announced MA made the change to make them increase your skill rate a bit too (presumably so that some people might still use them).

the problem with all scope or laser sight was that stood in their explanation that they was "Skill Modification" on them but when a player proved that they did not receive any additional skill points when the have scope or laser sight on the weapons then revised MA to that which you can read about here.

By Bertha Bot
The Support team has received numerous support cases inquiring about the functionality of weapon attachments lately. To meet the demand of the community, and to clear out a previously communicated misunderstanding, we have decided to provide some more information on the subject. As always, the details we provide are limited, but we hope they will shed some light on the issue.

Apart from the advantageous visual information that you receive when using scopes and laser sights, such attachments affect your ability to aim, as explained in the Items Info. We have realized that this information is unclear today and you will therefore see an update of this information in an upcoming release.

A previously given reply in a support case stated that a scope or laser sight “only affects the effective range of the weapon”. This was unfortunately an erroneous and poorly informed statement. We would like to apologize for publishing this misinformation and for any confusion caused by it.

And not only that, we got a nerfs "the mob is not in range" that forced us to move closer to the animal and get more damage on our armor.

By Bertha Bot

Apart from the advantageous visual information that you receive when using scopes and laser sights, such attachments affect your ability to aim, as explained in the Items Info.

This explains everything, thats why i cracked a record of 5 misses in a row when i started using 2 hunnirs with Jzar scope... So what do they really do?

Last edited:
This explains everything, thats why i cracked a record of 5 misses in a row when i started using 2 hunnirs with Jzar scope... So what do they really do?

probably this:

total skill level = Skill level + (skill mod % * current distance of mob attacked / max range of weapon)

This explains why we have so small hit boxes now !:)

Please MA dont Lie ( This was unfortunately an erroneous and poorly informed statement. We would like to apologize for publishing this misinformation and for any confusion ).

It is clear " Skill Modification " a player proved that you do not get some skills if you use a scope, then you at MA invent that it “only affects the effective range of the weapon” at the same time you invent a nerfs " not in range".

So what use do we got of “only affects the effective range of the weapon” when the mob is "out of range" all along......:duh:

I remember reading somewhere that 1) attachments have no effect on maxed weapons and 2) the effect has the maximum strength at the maximum range and decreases as the mob comes closer.

So from [1] I assume it improves your Aim skill by the indicated Skill Mod % and thus decreases number of "MISS"-es (which happen now only on unmaxed weapons) and because of [2] I use it only on taggers that I haven't maxed out yet (Bravo in the past and SR47 now).

i use scope because it makes aiming with long range rifle so so easy.

laser sight looks very cool too.
hardly could find any info elsewhere...any update or change since 2013 ??

i can only rely on tests with maxed weapons and there scopes n sights (apart from the +crit ones) have zero impact on anything. neither on hitrate, nor on skillgains. i couldnt even recognize any higher loot due to the increased decay, though the reason might be that the decay is too little to recognize it anyway.

sad to hear ;)
clarification or changing on this kind of basic system should be prioritized as much as space improvement.
i may have laser sight solely just for fun then...thx for the reply !

I dont think there is one scope that has the correct aim ingame. You can test this by shooting something thin from far away and you will miss, but if you set it little bit on the side you hit it.

Back