Reflective Moments and an Old Beginning

Status

MindStar9

Self-Requested Deactivation
MindStar9
I remember my excitement on April 2, 2005 while packing my belongings for the trip to a planet called Calypso in hopes of establishing a new beginning. Things had been a bit rough on Earth, and after space opened up, many wanted the opportunity to explore and make a new life for themselves.

I boarded the spacecraft not knowing what to expect, other than what my brother had shared with me from his already month-long stay. The colony on Calypso was expanding, and the citizens had their challenges, but overall he said that things were going quite well. Also, that the government did all they could to provide the necessities required for a level of stability, but that the environment also produced resources that allowed the citizens of Calypso to develop their own businesses in order to help each other out.

My brother greeted me upon my arrival, and had all sorts of surprises in store for me, but I found myself in such wonderment that I could hardly focus on anything but asking a gazillion questions. You see, this was my first universe encounter, and I was wearing the experiences like a new set of clothes.

As my knowledge and understanding of this new environment grew, so did my desire to help others. My brother and I were quite fortunate to meet a handful of incredibly special people, and we decided to form a personal society within which we would be able to assist each other with our needs. We remained a very small group with a vision, and we also did our part to contribute to our fellow colonists in every way possible.

I had many opportunities over the years from event planning and promotion, to news reporting and writer of picture stories, articles and colonist profiles, and even ran my own radio station. However, the most important aspect of my time on Calypso has been all about the community. It was a challenge for new arrivals to navigate the environment, and our society would take many under our wings to give them a helping hand. We would hold annual Xmas giveaway events, as well as craft items throughout the year to assist those who were less fortunate. Times were tough, but then they got tougher.

As the years passed, the colony had its struggles. Many raised their voices against the government's decision making and some changes that created challenges in overall colony operations. The citizens of Calypso just wanted to be heard, and while efforts were made to more openly communicate with colonists, some citizens felt as though their concerns fell on deaf ears.

For many years, I dedicated my efforts toward community-building, and while I stand on the Pier at Corinth Beach looking out over the water and a beautiful sunset for the last time, I am enjoying reflective thoughts of times and trials and crazy-ass moments that simply took my breath away. The specialness of Calypso will forever be in my heart as my first home away from home.

But now, it's time to board the shuttle back to Earth for an old beginning. There is much that awaits me, and I am looking forward to virtual peace.

This is what?
Your 5th quitting post?
Are you really leaving this time or just crying for attention again? :rolleyes:

Don't be like that. MS9 has made some huge contributions to the community. Of course, I hope she isn't leaving :(

Status
Back