Question: Graphics card requirements

Toge

Hatchling
Alright, so my computer doesn't usually run into too many issues playing graphics-intensive games. It seems to have issues with Entropia however, and I'm curious why. I'm a noob for having to ask, but hey, we've all got to start out somewhere.

I've got:
Vista Home - 32 bit
4.00 Gb RAM
NVIDIA Quadro NVS 290
a 1680x1050 resolution monitor

When I start up the game and get to the create-a-character section the avatar/character comes up all gray. Everything else has a color and texture. Changing the skin tone has no effect on the gray. (I have tried opening the game in both window and full-screen, the issue stays for both.)

Note: I'm running Vista in classic mode, as it helps performance. Don't know if that affects anything.

I've since learned this is caused by a graphics card that's unable to handle pixel shader 3.0. I've got a NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2 sitting on my desk and it's certainly possible to use it, but I'd rather not buy the power supply it needs at the moment.

I've tried the Tools>Repair already, and it didn't find any textures or anything missing, so that should be fine.

So my questions are: Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Are there any hardware requirements I'm not meeting? Is there any way to tweak settings or the like so I can still play this game with my current setup? And should an NVS 290 be able to handle this game, or do I have to upgrade to the 9800?

You should be able to run it no problem with that setup - maybe need to turn down some of the graphic FX to run smoothly. I don't know if that's an option that's available on the ava creation screen though. Try pressing O and see if the options menu comes up.

And welcome to EF :)

Thank you! That's solved it, safe mode seems to have been the issue. It really just wanted a definite setting such as medium, high, or very high. Everything works just fine now.

And thanks! Hopefully I'll manage to learn the game fast enough to help someone else out in return. :)

hehe I am absolutely sure you will have more then enough oppertunities to do so.

welcome to eu! :)

Thank you! That's solved it, safe mode seems to have been the issue. It really just wanted a definite setting such as medium, high, or very high. Everything works just fine now.

And thanks! Hopefully I'll manage to learn the game fast enough to help someone else out in return. :)
YW, glad I could help :)

Speaking of keyboard shortcuts, press G to see the keymap of what all the various keys do ;)

Good luck with your time in EU, heard a lot of new people having in game problems at the start with graphics etc, on top of having to learn the game itself lol.

Hopfully other people will read this now and solve the problem before turning away.

Back