Calypso Gateway – an entry to a world of opportunity and adventure

Bertha Bot

Entropia News Fetcher
Introducing Calypso Gateway, the new content release from First Planet Company, features a new starting point for colonist newcomers. For many years the Calypso arrivers have started their new life on the busy streets of Port Atlantis, left with nothing but their bare hands and an orange jumpsuit. They have had a world of possibility to explore but at the same time the experience have proven daunting or overpowering. We expect this addition to Calypso to change that.

The Calypso Gateway is a secluded area consisting of an arrival terminal located on an island. It is the first point-of-contact with the game, after the avatar creation process. Calypso Gateway features several introduction missions (“quests”) in which equipment is given to start the Colonist experience. Newcomers will be able to engage in hunting, mining and crafting, using the equipment given. The tutorial-like mission structure allow the newcomers to learn about Calypso, the Real Cash Economy model and the way the basic features work – all within a calm environment. The Gateway is a place where newcomers get at chance to interact and learn, without many of the distractions found elsewhere on Calypso, as the area is off-limits for all other colonists. Once you take the one-way teleporter to go to mainland Calypso you can never go back.

For the veteran colonists who already have arrived and who wants to see this new area, FPC will host an open house event of Calypso Gateway for one week, allowing two-way teleportation to and from mainland Calypso. During this time newcomers will still arrive at Port Atlantis. After the week, the Gateway will be updated, the newcomer starting point till be moved from Port Atlantis to Calypso Gateway and the teleporter will be made one-way-only. Any avatars present at the Gateway will be moved to mainland Calypso during this update. The reason for this is to allow newcomers to take their time and try out things without the stress of traders, chat message spam, a lot of strange terminology, etc.

During the open house period, in order to get the full newcomer experience, we recommend that you put all your avatar gear in storage on mainland Calypso (there are no storage or TT:s on Gateway) and travel to the area and engage in the missions. Your feedback is also welcome and allows us to iron out potential bugs or tweak missions before the newcomers try them out.

gateway-271-sized.jpg

Welcome to your new home, Colonist!

Originally posted on Entropia Gateway

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks cool.

All I can say is that if its an independent place for newcomers give it plenty of server support. I have played several games where the entry area was so laggy and cumbersome I quit b4 I even got started!

Ooooo... First in a bertha post... thats a first for me.

JEHU

Last edited:
sounds good :)

BB needs to learn how to post proper screenshots :p

Look forward to my "arrival experience" ten years afater i started he he :D

Good work FPC looks great can't wait to visit it. It's a very good addition to the game for beginners.

Down with Calypso Gateway!!! Throw them n00bs to the wolves, I say! Bring on the spiders and let them get a REAL taste of what horrors lie in wait!

pfft, "Calypso Gateway"...makin' life all cushy and "user friendly" fer dem unsuspecting n00bs...

j/k, ofc :)

well done, FPC

I feel like a newbie again :ahh:

BB needs to learn how to post proper screenshots :p
shhh it's good stuff if u look at the pic very carefully you can see vehicles at the end of the corridor. Now my plan is to go to this gateway and driveaway that vehicle :yay: I'm sure FPC won't notice one missing :D

sounds cool

it's a good way to keep new players ingame

Looking great!!!! Finally glad to see a good way for people to get into the game, even if it wasn't around when I started. I'm also glad that we will at the least have a week to visit at our own leisure to check out this noob portal.

This allows for those veterans that never received an easy start to give tips, advice, or more than likely, opinions on it. Let's hope everyone can remain positive in helping his noob start area bring in more players!

Not surprized by this at all, in line with many other mmo's out there and personally I think it may actually encourage some player retention too ( a lot less confusion and no exposure to the 'seedier' side of EU too soon). No doubt not going to be taken as good news though by the many folks whose game is mostly about offering help and services to those newcomers, who can now not gain any access to the start up area. As they said on Southpark- it's CHANGE!!! ;)

:eek:What?! :eek:
No teleportation fee's to Port Atlantis?! Brilliant!

Good work FPC! I hope this gives new avatars a warm welcome.

This is good news :) Hopefully the newbies will stay and become regular players when they get better introductions :D +rep to FPC :yay:

shhh it's good stuff if u look at the pic very carefully you can see vehicles at the end of the corridor. Now my plan is to go to this gateway and driveaway that vehicle :yay: I'm sure FPC won't notice one missing :D

I'll alert the security detail. ,-)

Reactions: Aly
so, uhh... has the open house started yet? :D

the end of an era heling newbies at the naz ...

So Marco, how long do you give it before the more unscrupulous traders among us start creating alt avatars for the purpose of scamming this new generation of noobs in an environment where there is nobody there to tell them the difference?

Big +rep for a long awaited update for new players.

I’m sure new players will now arrive more prepared at Port Atlantis.
Firsthand experience on what they can do and how. ;)

So Marco, how long do you give it before the more unscrupulous traders among us start creating alt avatars for the purpose of scamming this new generation of noobs in an environment where there is nobody there to tell them the difference?

Got plans already ? :D
J/K

Scamming them from what ?
These newbies come empty handed, I bet non of the items can make it to Port Atlantis. And turn off the deposit option for newbies untill they arrive at Port Atlantis.

Thats how I would set it up. ;)

Last edited:
Making a second avatar...... OH! thats not allowed but why do people have like 5 - 10 avatars up their sleeve..??? :D

Sounds good.

Now that newbie experience is almost fixed (just need mentor system), maybe we could start seeing more mid level developments?

great step to attract new players :)

Awesome. :)

That's all I can say, awesome. :)

I wonder....
what will happen when you stay there during that period and do not teleport back to the mainland ? (Really would like try out the the missions legally but going on holidays :D )
Also, can you take back what you get there or will it be removed ?

I'm hoping that this will make it more difficult for scammers to create multiple avatars - if they have to perform certain tasks before they're able to access the main planet, it would slow them down if not stop them.

i hope this come along with a new mentoring system, that is the main key for noob integration on game

Anyone else noticed that Gateway is a very similar anagram to Getaway?

- Statik

Nice moves here. :)

Opening it up to inspection by the community.
This discourages the need to make any 2nd/3rd/15th avatars.
Plus allows for feedback.

I bet the "items" for the missions will be handed out and non-tradable. There's no TT, so in essence, they'll get nothing of any ped value.
This also removes any attempt by others to "milk" unsuspecting n00bs, as they'll have nothing to offer.

I assume the TP will be "locked" until the n00bie completes a certain amount of missions? One mistake from an uninformed player and "hey where'd I go"?

All in all, I'm looking forward to checking this thing out, and have high hopes for it. :)

Awesome stuff. Maybe one of the n00b tutorials in the gateway could explain "where to go" in Calypso and have big huge map that shows where stuff like all the apartments and shops are that they might want to visit when they come to the real Calypso. Maybe even list coodinates of TPs and stuff so that people won't have to continue to rely on google to get that list.

Maybe even make the TPs on Calypso become "quests" given out by the new quest system... Make one quest per TP. Have the NPCs give instructions or coordinates on where the next TP is listed, etc. That way it's less of a rely on google searches and less of a just stumble upon a tp in the wilderness type of experience for beginners. More of an integral part of the system. Maybe even give out little rewards here and there for some of these tp quests by the npcs so that the traders that live in Twin and PA that are themselves n00bs on some levels since they have never gotten many other TPs have an incentive to explore the world.

Back