Calypso Gateway – an entry to a world of opportunity and adventure

Awesome news FPC. Sounds like a very smart move and I hope it all works out ok.

I got a feeling that if there is a 15 minute cinematic trailer, the new player will think "booooring" and either skip it, or do <Alt><F4> (in best case <Alt><Tab>). The ones who see it will 5 minutes later wonder anyway "which button was it to turn right".

Who said it has to be 15 minutes long? Not mentioning that in most games you can skip trailer so do not see a problem here really.

Also check starcraft, warcraft, HoMM or any cult game and you will find out that there is really nothing better to bring you into this atmosphere than a good video (I guess thats why everybody like movies).

I think this gateway is a step further in the right direction!
Just not sure what the mentor system is going to be for then...
Also want to take a peak there, just to make sure I don't miss some basic thing when I hunt/craft/mine... Lol... I feel like a 3+ year old noob!

This makes me exited and worried at the same time, which is a nice upgrade since most MA changes just worry me.

I'm guessing this new area will do nothing to further any remaining story or storyline.

One would hope the have included information as to the backstory of Calypso - the robot wars - colonial history - etc.

But I'm not optimistic.

Then you will be suprised. ,-)

Excellent news!

Newcomers need to enter a game like taking a warm bath! And a good storyline combined with quests learning the game in between can do just that.

I have also a concern I want to share. If after the trial period only the first arrivers will and can be present... it might mean that at some periods very few, a couple or only one ava is present in the newcomer area. If thats the case it might discourage people to play the game as they see nobody else is around. I'd hate to see people stopping going forward because they see nobody else around. That offcourse is a benefit of arriving at PA or TI which is now removed. But I assume the storyline and information provided will address that.

Also got a question:
How long will you be able to stay at the gateway area? Not indefinetely I hope. I assume when finishing the final quest you will be automatically transported to PA as an incentive to proceed.

Paul

How long will you be able to stay at the gateway area? Not indefinetely I hope. I assume when finishing the final quest you will be automatically transported to PA as an incentive to proceed.

There is content for one hour or so. All items recieved are limited (including ammo and bombs) so after a while you cant really do anything on Gateway but move on. (Note that Gateway don't have any TT or Auction or Storage).

Looks great and I experienced it before on a previous MMO and I really liked the gentle introduction, killing the equivalent of turps.

It should stop all the anarchy when new players come online. :D

:thumbup:

This sounds good to me :)

And Marcos multipeble (spelling ? grr lol ) posts here is satisfying me alot to i must say :D Comunication is so very important and can newer be to good if i say so ;)

There been happening alot recently i must say :) If i only got some loot now to, then i would be happy ;D

Way to go,keep this spirit up pls :D
Regards

A mentor system I believe is a very important part of the newcomer experience, especially after leaving Gateway. I am nagging MA constantly to have the mentor system back (with needed improvements, of course).

There is content for one hour or so. All items recieved are limited (including ammo and bombs) so after a while you cant really do anything on Gateway but move on. (Note that Gateway don't have any TT or Auction or Storage).

L ammo and bombs? :eyecrazy:

In what way? I mean how does that work? Do you mean you get a limited amount or that these ammo/bombs expire after a set time?

Is crafting covered? To be honest I guess I'll just find out when I go there. Hopefully this weekend.

Wistrel

L ammo and bombs? :eyecrazy:

In what way? I mean how does that work? Do you mean you get a limited amount or that these ammo/bombs expire after a set time?

Is crafting covered? To be honest I guess I'll just find out when I go there. Hopefully this weekend.

Wistrel

Perhaps the tools and weapons etc are "limited" to the confines of that Gateway zone. Once out of there they are not usable or removed...."perhaps :D "

Perhaps the tools and weapons etc are "limited" to the confines of that Gateway zone. Once out of there they are not usable or removed...."perhaps :D "

It sounds like you get a 0,01 PED weapon, and each shot does dmg corresponding to, say, 0,01 PEC, and that the creatures are weak enough to be killable (maybe 2 HP Snablesnot Hatchling).

As for limited bombs, it sounds odd because bombs/probes are (L) by definition, I think the meaning is just that it's a limited supply, let's say you get 100 bombs of each 0.01 PEC (1 PEC total) and when you have ran out those bombs you can't get new ones.

Also, maybe, you begin with sweat tool, you get a mission to gather 20 sweat, when you have 20 sweat you turn them in, get a "stick" weapon, then you're supposed to kill 5 creatures, and when that's done you get some "micro" mining equipment. Just a guess.

It would be interesting if it's forseen the case a new player fails miserably, ie doesn't know how to aim or gets himself killed all the time or mob runs for turret halfdead, so the provided supply runs out. Especially since it doesn't appear to be anyone around to help.

Anyhow when last mission is complete, ammo and probes will be almost out and there will be no way to get new ones, except (maybe) get more from another player who just arrived. Unless pvp trade & droptrade is disabled.

I guess that will show though when it comes "live".

Last edited:
Love it! Finally a tutorial for new players. Good Job MA/FPC!

Can't wait to see:

Joe the Newb killed a creature (Snablesnot Hatchling) with a value of 16969 PED at Calypso Gateway! A record has been added to the Hall of Fame.

:D

Ok, sarcasm aside, this has been much needed for years, glad to see it.

As for feedback, I can give some now. The two questions I've seen the most from new players of the past 5 years are

1. What do you do in this game?

2. How do you make PEDs?

So the CG should answer those questions at least.

Interesting, so now there's a "Gateway Colonist Re-Education Center"...

Quick, get the aluminum foil!!

It sounds like you get a 0,01 PED weapon, and each shot does dmg corresponding to, say, 0,01 PEC, and that the creatures are weak enough to be killable (maybe 2 HP Snablesnot Hatchling).

As for limited bombs, it sounds odd because bombs/probes are (L) by definition, I think the meaning is just that it's a limited supply, let's say you get 100 bombs of each 0.01 PEC (1 PEC total) and when you have ran out those bombs you can't get new ones.

We will prob never know untill we see it, but its interesting none the less to try to understand the man. Especially after recent events with his choice of words lol

I think we need to look at "how" he says it, and not at what he says.

He chooses to say the full word "limited" with a small l and also not with the traditional lone "L" that we all very familiar with. Then the reference to bombs, as in "limited" bombs. :eek: Well we know that Marco hehe :D. But maybe he actually said it right :scratch2: The bombs as with the gear are "trail" versions or "test" versions. Limited to that zone

Hey im bored ok so im speculating over here cause i can :D. Seems Marco's "dynamic" explanation for most things now also applies to his words hehe. We need a new forum section to filter and analyse what FPC actually means whenever they make posts :D

I think he means limited in the normal sense of the word. As in you only get a certain amount.
Remember, that's what the word limited actually means in the real world. :p

if there is any value there, it's probably blazers and sweat that you loot there.

Excellent! I look forward to seeing what you have in store for the future newbies. The need to take all our items from inventory when we visit the Gateway is just to ensure we experience it trough the eyes of a newbie?

:thumbup::yay::thumbup:

I gotta say... the Gateway seems well thought out! I really hope it works well as it would be great to have a lot more people on Calypso.

Nope, you got to keep whatever you get. See Marco's earlier post:

Actually, items gathered on Gateway will be kept when TP'ing to mainland Calypso. However, all Gateway items are given in multi-part missions and designed specifically for a safe and streamlined experience. The items are also balanced around what we call a "micro-RCE" where TT-values as such are much lower compared to the ordinary range of Calypso items. Of course the stats like damage is also reflected by this (a newcomer weapon deals much lower damage than an Opalo for instance).

My overall vision was to make the Gateway experience as "real" to the rest of Calypso. No fake-PEDs, no phantom-items, etc. With the previous Entropia platform changes with the ammo allowed us to use real Calypso economy balancing, but on a lesser level. It will be very interesting to see how it pans out - one worry is the exploit factor, as items given out that have TT-values are always susceptible to exploiters. I think the current way items are handled on Gateway will be both rewarding and "exploit-resistant".

Sounds great. This has been needed for a LONG time, and will be huge for getting new blood into the game. Not that it will bring tons of players in overnight or anything, but you have to have something like this these days.

Im also glad to see you want to keep the experience real, even if its a micro version.

As well as allowing current players the ability to check it out.

As much as i wanted this to be in the game when vu10 came out, i think the time is right for it to come out now.

Very nice , allways thaught why it whasent setup like this for new players :confused:

Great that we all get opertunity too visit and se it as well :cool:

Down with Calypso Gateway!!! Throw them n00bs to the wolves, I say! Bring on the spiders and let them get a REAL taste of what horrors lie in wait!

pfft, "Calypso Gateway"...makin' life all cushy and "user friendly" fer dem unsuspecting n00bs...

j/k, ofc :)

well done, FPC

Yes throw them to the wolves........but who the hells gonna pay the 40 ped tp fee to send them to the rock!:D

I think he means limited in the normal sense of the word. As in you only get a certain amount.
Remember, that's what the word limited actually means in the real world. :p

Yeah. Limited as in "a limited number of items". But to add to the confusion - all non-stackable items found on Gateway are also (L)-imited. The point is that the supply line will dry out, making it pointless being on Gateway once everything is done.

Excellent! I look forward to seeing what you have in store for the future newbies. The need to take all our items from inventory when we visit the Gateway is just to ensure we experience it trough the eyes of a newbie?

:thumbup::yay::thumbup:

Yes, during the open house week you can bring with you your normal stuff and participate in the tutorial missions. But it will not give you the "true experience" as the Gateway missions are created with the internal Gateway balance in mind.

Can't wait to see:

Joe the Newb killed a creature (Snablesnot Hatchling) with a value of 16969 PED at Calypso Gateway! A record has been added to the Hall of Fame.

:D
:rofl: boy that made me laugh but Marco said a micro-rce so its not ped but pecs, micro-pecs even :D. So after dividing it twice by 100 you get 1.70peds :laugh:. Thats better than most of my loots this month :eek:. Anyways I look forward to visiting this magical place of wonders when it comes out and will surely post my suggestions on improving it ;). But gd job FPC & keep hassling MA for that Mentoring to return, it is seriously needed.

Yes, during the open house week you can bring with you your normal stuff and participate in the tutorial missions. But it will not give you the "true experience" as the Gateway missions are created with the internal Gateway balance in mind.

I guess the only thing you cannot adjust for is Current players Skill numbers when testing out the tutorial zone.

I am thrilled to see this in EU finally. this should have been done years ago.

when i started EU/PE 6 years back there was no newcomers area at PA like we had seen in 9.0 let alone any sort if in game tutorial message system like we have now. this is a very important piece of the puzzle that has been missing for years literally. Giving the experienced players a test run through it for a week is a great idea. Lets find those bugs no mater how small and get em reported for adjustment.

Awesome job FPC! You have proven once again that you listen to your community. TY.

Back