FYI: Making a RL 3D-model of a Valkyrie Mk1

What would you pay for an unpainted RL model?

• <US$10

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • <US$50

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • <US$100

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • >US$100

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

Jamira

Elite
Banned
Society
Freelancer
The enemy of vehicles (me :rolleyes:) got a present from Hurrikane for her service as a judge in WoF 2010 - crazy!

I gave this Valkyrie Mk1 to my sister and left Calypso immediately because I won't meet other people until my face tribal is back. And guess what! Little sister enjoyed it so much, bought one of this other type vehicle immediately and did nothing else but driving around since this day. :rolleyes:

"I want RL models of my vehicles!" she said to me.

Okay, here we go! It's not really easy. But this weekend I made a start. I will build a 3D model wich fits to Kawa's 3D-printer ... kinda 15cm of length (6 inch).

The problems started with the tires: They used a low polygon mesh and a good texture:

car01b.jpg

car01c_711189.jpg

To produce a good model everything has to be substituted by serious modelling. Okay, I got the tires this weekend ... let's see how long it takes to model all the other parts ...

click to enlarge

Amazing project! GL with that! :D

I want one for my desk ^_^

Wow, cool initiative... good luck with the modeling! Hope you can get it done ;)

I want one! My 2 year old is tired of playing with his hogglo statue ;)

I did some works with the model this evening. The rims and parts of the wheel suspension.

Good progress I think ;)

WOW thats looks great already, can't wait to see the end result. Have fun building your car !!

WOW thats looks great already, can't wait to see the end result. Have fun building your car !!

Ahhhrg! It's not MY car! I would have set it to auction and probably won kinda 600 PED in the very first days. But hey! Little sister claimed it and got some obsession with this stupid cars. :rolleyes:

Nice work Jamira, good luck and have fun building it =)

I did some works with the model this evening. The rims and parts of the wheel suspension.

Good progress I think ;)

That's impressive, reminds me off my "lego" -time :)

Everybody who is interested in and trust me can download the current stage of the car in a 3D viewer (eDrawings from SolidWorks).

WARNING: It is a zipped exe-file. People with paranoia shouldn't do it!

http://www.3d-handwerker.de/EU/Valkyrie_Mk1.zip

edrawings.jpg

Last edited:
great job. Any chance you can convert the final model to .obj or .3ds so I can make a papercraft out of it?

very nice

MA should hire you :)

great job. Any chance you can convert the final model to .obj or .3ds so I can make a papercraft out of it?

We need a polygon net in the end for the 3D-printer ... STL or 3DS. So yes, you can have it as 3DS. But keep in mind that this "vehicles" are show objects only. MA's creations are not functional.

I can give you the original too ... but to say the truth: the model of the Valkyrie is a raw patched bunch of single parts.

... a .STL file would be nice! :)

...or any of these: STL, X3D, Collada, VRML97 or VRML2!

We need a polygon net in the end for the 3D-printer ... STL or 3DS. So yes, you can have it as 3DS. But keep in mind that this "vehicles" are show objects only. MA's creations are not functional.

I can give you the original too ... but to say the truth: the model of the Valkyrie is a raw patched bunch of single parts.

... a .STL file would be nice! :)

...or any of these: STL, X3D, Collada, VRML97 or VRML2!

IMPORTANT REMARK!

I can deliver all this files to you from my model after it will be finished. But keep in mind:

You are restricted to private purpose only.
All rights are by FPC.

Of course. It's fan art, and MA would no doubt send goons after anyone trying to infringe on their intellectual property for profit... and rightly so, I might add.

That being said, it would be really cool to have a Valk for my desktop. :)

I also have wild eyed dreams of making resin cast models of some of the handhelds. One day, I'll show up at a con in a noob suit and carrying a Bravo complete with blue glow (chemlights FTW!)

Of course. It's fan art, and MA would no doubt send goons after anyone trying to infringe on their intellectual property for profit... and rightly so, I might add.

That being said, it would be really cool to have a Valk for my desktop. :)

I also have wild eyed dreams of making resin cast models of some of the handhelds. One day, I'll show up at a con in a noob suit and carrying a Bravo complete with blue glow (chemlights FTW!)

There are some small problems. 3D-printing is expensive and Resin-models need a shitload more of work and high investments in molding tools.

My dream was a functional model: steering, springing, revolving weapon mounting ... but forget it! This Valkyrie was designed by a technical noob. The amount of work to bring this "vehicle" to work would be incredible.

Meh, you can make molds for one-off or very low run count projects out of RTV silicone. :)

...and WOW! That's really coming along!

Meh, you can make molds for one-off or very low run count projects out of RTV silicone. :)

...and WOW! That's really coming along!

LOL! Sorry AlphaGeek! English/American is not my first language. Can you repeat your post for a stupid german nazi?

For simple projects, you can make molds from a master with RTV Silicone goo. RTV molds are (L).

[YOUTUBE]-3IBuyfFGw0[/YOUTUBE]

...and your work so far is incredibly good! Well done!

Did I cross the language barrier this time? LOL

...the currently active members line on this topic looks like a 2600 meeting or a Make Magazine meet. LOL

For simple projects, you can make molds from a master with RTV Silicone goo. RTV molds are (L).

...and your work so far is incredibly good! Well done!

Did I cross the language barrier this time? LOL

Yep, except "RTV" ... :rolleyes:
I am aware of this silicon thingy (I thought about it for weapon or avatar models). But unfortunately it will not work with this vehicle model. The model is too filigree ... take the springs: either you use ball pen springs and make a snap kit or you lose. :rolleyes:

RTV = Room Temperature Vulcanization, meaning the silicone cures without heat. The stuff you usually buy in a tube at the hardware store. :)

Yeah springs would be far too delicate.

There is another problem as well: window glasses ...

Back