Open Letter To FPC

Status

Jamira

Elite
Banned
Society
Freelancer
Yo folks ...

Since you are not able (or willing) to give my makeup back to me, I stay away from Calypso. But I do other things. Please have a look at this thread at EF:

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/eu-art/194343-making-rl-3d-model-valkyrie-mk1.html

1. I can see your problems with optimizing the 3D geometry for an online game. I offer my help for improving it. I work with 3DS Max, Rhino 3D, SolidWorks, Tebis and several other software.

I offer this service for free because I like EU and got a deep interest to improve it.

2. As far as I know you don't accept modelling help from participants (except especially events). Why? There is a wide crowd of well skilled people in your customer base. I'm pretty sure many of them are willing to help you with ideas, 3D-models and animations.

3. We can do a lot in advertisig and merchandising! As for instance: Purchase RL-models of weapons, avatars, vehicles ... posters etc.

Summery:
You will find professionals for each point above in your player base. Many of them are willing to improve this fucking game - me included.

I will post this support request at EF and entropiaplanets as an open letter.

Usually it should be posted under "Fan art"-section. But I think I should post it in the "General" section. Because everybody should know it ;-)

Best regards, Ulla

Okay ... I couldn't make an account at entropiaplanets. So this is the only place I post this open letter. :rolleyes:

Since you are not able (or willing) to give my makeup back to me, I stay away from Calypso.

Note: It's MindArk, not FPC, doing the systems :D

Talk with hanne community manager, maybe she can help you,

Good luck

Back in 2009 I discovered how bad some models were - octagon is around 8000 polygons (how did they manage that?!?). Thing is, the models in EU seem to be incredibly varied in quality. For example, some mobs (like the Ambulimax) have been textured inside their bodies. Furthermore since you can look inside a hollow body and see the interior, it shows backface cull isn't even on. Woo. Optimised.

Yet when you look at avatars or other mobs, this doesn't seem to be the case. :scratch2: I dunno, seems like things are being made by a team where some people are good, and others are a bit... shall we say, "unskilled".

I too would be happy to freely help FPC with modelling if they asked. Have plenty of experience with 3D packages and designing assets / levels for games. So... yah... *shrugs*

On a vaguely related subject: I started a new EU 3D project on Sunday, just polishing it up at the mo... so will be posting another concept up soon. ;)

I dunno, seems like things are being made by a team where some people are good, and others are a bit... shall we say, "unskilled".

:laugh: Yeah ... same impression here ... imagine to use a Genesis Rainbow Sword with 5k longblade ... :rolleyes:

... or CryEngine2 with ... ahh ... "Okay, I finished my studies yet!"

Last edited:
Im sure this has been mentioned before but ill throw it up for now...

I think that there should be 4 or 5 positions that can be held for up to a year to allow "jobs" so to speak for the modeling within EU.

Based on the quality of work you get a credit towards your EU account per job completion.

I think it would allow more hands in the bowl, and would prob allow higher quality work as well.

I didnt mean to hijack the OP but this got me thinking.

By having these "temp jobs" I think it would keep people within EU and have a higher customer loyalty. "HEY! I made that!" :p

Even though the modeling is done by FPC the make-up system, like all of the others, is on MA afaik...

It would be great to have some updates on the various systems. Preferably something like " All old systems will be completed and online by August 31st 2010."

Also, it would be great to have the ability to purchase RL models of some of the equipment and mobs in EU. I'd also like some printed materials such as land mass maps, mob art, etc.

Even if they agreed with it it would only be a very small % of the artwork that makes it ingame. Every new item has an impact on the RCE, they can't just introduce some new items.

Also I don't think they will accept because it looks, well.... unprofessional is the best name I guess.

That's just looking at it from their perspective.... I personally like the idea.

Totally agree with you. Allow the players to get more involved.

No, it is FPC who makes the 3D-models.

Goddam, can any moderator delete this unqualified post please?

PWNED! :nutkick: Right in the nuts

I think the "free" statement will definitely get some attention;)
FPC likes to pay that much for everything else:laugh:

Very nice posting. Thank you for posting. I too know a thing or 3 about 3d modeling and art. This is a fantastic idea. Now that Next Island will be coming along shortly, and it will utilize such advertising forms of communication such as facebook and twitter, it would be a fantastic idea to set up something for helping develop the FPC world as was done with several projects Mass Animation has done so far. http://www.massanimation.com/ - they call on freelancers to submit ideas, and the public votes. This results in the best stuff ending up in the project. It also makes it possible for freelancers to get a name for themselves on big projects, which helps pad the resume.

Really really really good idea + rep !

It has been almost one year ago , I have TT'ed my mask,

it doesnt' work , like many other things ( tt a lot of bugged and doesnt work things...)

None seems to buying those... ( they are bugged )

It seems I have done the right thing...

hell freezess over maybe it will be fixed...

a good reminder in case I got nuts and try to invest here.

please kick me very hard if I try to invest again.

thank you.

It has been almost one year ago , I have TT'ed my mask,

it doesnt' work , like many other things ( tt a lot of bugged and doesnt work things...)

None seems to buying those... ( they are bugged )

It seems I have done the right thing...

hell freezess over maybe it will be fixed...

a good reminder in case I got nuts and try to invest here.

please kick me very hard if I try to invest again.

thank you.

Their not bugged just not implanted yet again. Although I wonder why is is so hard to implant this it was launched during the conversion.

And yes I agree that FPC should set up a system where community can help them optimizing the polygon count.

Even though the modeling is done by FPC the make-up system, like all of the others, is on MA afaik...

It would be great to have some updates on the various systems. Preferably something like " All old systems will be completed and online by August 31st 2010."

Also, it would be great to have the ability to purchase RL models of some of the equipment and mobs in EU. I'd also like some printed materials such as land mass maps, mob art, etc.

Roadmap for 2010: http://www.entropiaplanets.com/wiki/Planet_Calypso_Roadmap_2010
Quote from that URL: When it comes to Taming, Mentoring, Makeup, and Beacons, MindArk has promised all of these will be back before the end of the year.
And fun art as cars and other stuff printed with 3D printer would be a cool market. Take a look at the http://www.entropiaoutfitters.com/i...art&page=shop.browse&category_id=10&Itemid=31 for example. Entropia outfitters uses the logos of this game without any royalties. And for Jamira's Valkyrie that is a replica, it's a complete new modell not using MA/FPC's modell. So it would be OK to print, and the Saerimner isn't even MA/FPC's in the beginning so that can't be any problem at all, except if BAE Systems complains.

Last edited:
Kudo's for trying to help improve things but i don't think it's a very realistic idea. Asking to redo the modelling in a RCE would seem the same to me as walking into a bank and asking if you can repaint the walls near their vault ;)
There is simply too much risk and overhead management compared to doing things inhouse. Not to mention the drama within the community when some get acces to inside knowledge about mobs/weapons/buildings before others.

As an offtopic side-note, it always give me a chuckle when people critisize software from the outside based on a few obersvations and without any knowledge of internal design decisions, engine requirements/quirks or simple company priorities. It's one thing to point out how some things might be improved, claiming you can do better or educate the staff without the above knowledge is simply being ignorant.

In another RCE that died (There.com); 3D and 2D artists could upload their designs for clothes, houses and vehicles and sell them to other players ingame. Since MindArk looks interested in custom content and other RCEs have implemented it successfully, I don't see why couldn't they.

No, it is FPC who makes the 3D-models.

Goddam, can any moderator delete this unqualified post please?

Why is it an unqualified post?

1) I was talking about makeup (that YOU started talking about), not 3d models.

2) Makeup is a game system.

3) MindArk makes the game systems, according to Marco.

Therefore, my post is 100% valid, and you telling mods to remove it is rude and unfounded.

I like the idea of player based modelling... each time i walk around the planet, I think it would be nice to have more different things in game. each city, better say outpost with a same designed container, looks bored. It could have so much more, if MA/FPC would take Models from PPL like Jamira. Also a lot Sound/ music workers are around in Game.. Why they dont give this a chance, and let player do some Models/ Sound and other things, if they get this for FREE ! cant understand it.

I like the idea of player based modelling... each time i walk around the planet, I think it would be nice to have more different things in game. each city, better say outpost with a same designed container, looks bored. It could have so much more, if MA/FPC would take Models from PPL like Jamira. Also a lot Sound/ music workers are around in Game.. Why they dont give this a chance, and let player do some Models/ Sound and other things, if they get this for FREE ! cant understand it.

Absolutely agree! I'm not saying ALL the ideas from the community should be implemented, but I do believe that at least some are worthy of consideration.
There are some other games that became very popular because of the tools the producer put in people's hand to create new levels... for example; their own content (maps/campaigns) is almost ignored and hold little re-playability value.
Smart people...

Why they dont give this a chance, and let player do some Models/ Sound and other things, if they get this for FREE ! cant understand it.

Because it is not 'FREE'. Coordination, quality assurance and other management for a group of volunteers can take a lot more time , resources and costs then having a small permanent staff.

Also people who are willing to do professional work for free usually have some "edges" in their personalities that makes things not easier in teamwork.

It's a nice idea, in theory. But anyone who knows about the issues in managing a open source project knows it isn't that easy in reality.

Also i would rather expect MA to integrate some design UI in game for certain things.

Talk with hanne community manager, maybe she can help you,

Good luck

Lol :laugh: Thats best post ever. She don't fucking answer any message we send to her, important or not.

Lol :laugh: Thats best post ever. She don't fucking answer any message we send to her, important or not.

Well if she answered every message she got she probably wouldnt have much time left over for other things ;)

Besides, she probably has to run most questions through MA/FPC lead before answering... If they say it's OK to answer, she might (or write about it somewhere for everyone to see), and if not... well nothing :dunno:

As an offtopic side-note, it always give me a chuckle when people critisize software from the outside based on a few obersvations and without any knowledge of internal design decisions, engine requirements/quirks or simple company priorities. It's one thing to point out how some things might be improved, claiming you can do better or educate the staff without the above knowledge is simply being ignorant.

I ensure you that I know what I'm speaking about. 3D-model optimization is neither a task of software wich it is used in nor a task of design decisions. It is a task of the number of vertices and polygons and and reasonable use of textures instead of complex geometry.

I work in this business since 1993 ... omg! that was 3D Studio R2 under MS-DOS on an 486 comp with a 14" monitor ... no wait! ... it was a 15" already. :laugh:

And I did inspect several 3D-models from Entropia Universe. Right now I'm busy with the Valkyrie.

Yes, I can do it better than some of MA/FPC's staff. And yes, I could teach them a little bit when it comes to optimization.

Yes, I can do it better than some of MA/FPC's staff. And yes, I could teach them a little bit when it comes to optimization.
Do it. Load up the models to Turbosquid and/or the 3d Studio or somewhere similar... then send some messages to MA/fpc... maybe they'll buy it that way since they don't want the free help, lol.

Status
Back