Tipping point

Nirfu

Elite
Society
Rapture of Rebellion
Nirfu Nirfu Merlin
So when a new player comes along what will he meet?

I think one of the important things for us as a community is to state to take care of the new players. Not as mentors, more like raw modells. We need to show up close to where our new fellow noob is. If we show what they can becomme they will get a better initiative to wokr for their futire.

The tipping point is to show that being a EU player is fun. So please spend at least on or two hours of your EU life close to where you expect a noob will show up. Be prepared to answer some questions regarding the EU life and show your new playmate what this game has to offer. Together we can be the tipping point of keeping new players in hour litel corne of the virtual world.

just my 2 pec....

EdIt:

If u think my spelling is bad, your rigght. Im'kind of pissed (drunnk)

+ rep cause you made me laugh, and I think it is an admirable effort mate.. hopefully more people will spend some time @ swamp when they move it closer to PA after the redo!

Been there done that in the past. To be honest most people don't give a shit about the time you offer them. Count me out sorry.

kosmos

I had to laugh at this to cause he did better Drunk then I could sober :eek:

But in regards to topic I sit here and ask myself why is it the players job to ensure new players stay so MA can just !!!! more people?

Just my :twocents:

I had to laugh at this to cause he did better Drunk then I could sober :eek:

But in regards to topic I sit here and ask myself why is it the players job to ensure new players stay so MA can just !!!! more people?

Just my :twocents:

Since MA/FPC don't understand the mechanics in World to mouth but still rely on that as the major advertising we have to step forward and do our best to prove that this game is worth playing. Not only is it in MA's interest to drag new olayers itäs also in ours interest to get new players in here. We need loads of new players, who some will stay just for a few days whils others will stay for a longer period. I don't know if you "love" or "hate" this place but one thing is for sure. It lacks of players.

EDIT:
Hd to make my best drunkenme to clear some spelling errors. STill don't think I got it all sorted though...

Been there done that in the past. To be honest most people don't give a shit about the time you offer them. Count me out sorry.

kosmos

The noob that finds u cool will in a near future deposit and fill the looot pool for you... So please spend at least an hour/week at swamp doing u'rbest impressing the noobs.

kosmos

Depends on the people, Maybe your just not cut out to be helpful :) I have met quite a few long term friends visiting and healing at Sweat/Swamp camp and Neas. I would say in my experience most do appreciate the help, those that dont give a shit are in the minorty.

I try visit PA everyday and usually try logout/parking there just for the reason its so empty.

For a new player coming into the game and see allmost dead town and little people too ask questions too i can only think what i would think being new.

Even tho there is some regulars and taxi drivers there it`s far from lively town as in old days.

I try visit PA everyday and usually try logout/parking there just for the reason its so empty.

For a new player coming into the game and see allmost dead town and little people too ask questions too i can only think what i would think being new.

Even tho there is some regulars and taxi drivers there it`s far from lively town as in old days.

+reman

We need to do a difference. By showing that this game is alive we actually helping ourself. So I sugest everyone to follow your example.

Doesn't matter how hard you try to convince them EU is fun... once they realise the costs involved, they won't come back.
Last two people I helped (one being IRL friend) gave up after their first $20 didn't last two weeks.
Has anyone over 150HP tried to play again from lvl0? I started from lvl0 again 3 days ago when my mate tried to start anew on RT since he'd been so disappointed with Calypso and I had no experience on RT, just so I could test and try to convince my mate to stay. Plus I'd never been to the gateway.
My experience up till now suggests to me that it is far, far, far harder to stay afloat with 200PED, than it was when I started.
FAR harder.
In the time it's taken me to get from no skills, to 7.1/6.7 on the opalo (nearly maxed m2100 and tt knife as well) I've looted only 1x armor (gnome shin) and my biggest mining claim (unamped) has been a IX over nearly 700 drops... average size is III (as expected).
The initial 200PED I deposited, is now 23PED on card, with a near broken set of weapons (knife/opalo/m2100/CCC(L)/XR40(L)) and near broken mining sets (tt finders and drills), no armor and ~9ped of loots.
I have crafted filters with the BP that you get at gateway and lyst/oil I've mined, but the few runs I've done have been break even or minimal loss.

The game mechanic has to change before EU can grow. There's not enough people willing to throw hundreds/thousands of dollars at a computer game, for us to sustain more than 1 planet, imo.

The noob that finds u cool will in a near future deposit and fill the looot pool for you... So please spend at least an hour/week at swamp doing u'rbest impressing the noobs.

as i said been there done that

Depends on the people, Maybe your just not cut out to be helpful :) I have met quite a few long term friends visiting and healing at Sweat/Swamp camp and Neas. I would say in my experience most do appreciate the help, those that dont give a shit are in the minorty.

i have meet some great friends but most of them quit, but do sometimes log in to see whats going on. i care alot and in the past was often helpful but in the end felt like a waste of time. these days i tend to help a few people in my fl that i know won't be here for 2 hours and gone the next.

sorry for being negitive but as someone said above i think this is ma's job and alot of people put alot of effort into trying to help player retention. at least more than ma bothers with.

kosmos

edit--

The game mechanic has to change before EU can grow. There's not enough people willing to throw hundreds/thousands of dollars at a computer game, for us to sustain more than 1 planet, imo.

his quote sums it up. good for the rest of you if you think it will matter to be nice to eat your time on new people, but in reality profits quote seems like what makes sense.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter how hard you try to convince them EU is fun... once they realise the costs involved, they won't come back.
Last two people I helped (one being IRL friend) gave up after their first $20 didn't last two weeks.
Has anyone over 150HP tried to play again from lvl0? I started from lvl0 again 3 days ago when my mate tried to start anew on RT since he'd been so disappointed with Calypso and I had no experience on RT, just so I could test and try to convince my mate to stay. Plus I'd never been to the gateway.
My experience up till now suggests to me that it is far, far, far harder to stay afloat with 200PED, than it was when I started.
FAR harder.
In the time it's taken me to get from no skills, to 7.1/6.7 on the opalo (nearly maxed m2100 and tt knife as well) I've looted only 1x armor (gnome shin) and my biggest mining claim (unamped) has been a IX over nearly 700 drops... average size is III (as expected).
The initial 200PED I deposited, is now 23PED on card, with a near broken set of weapons (knife/opalo/m2100/CCC(L)/XR40(L)) and near broken mining sets (tt finders and drills), no armor and ~9ped of loots.
I have crafted filters with the BP that you get at gateway and lyst/oil I've mined, but the few runs I've done have been break even or minimal loss.

Yeah i hear you, but i dont go there to convince anyone of anything, they ask me a question i tell them the answer if i know it, i also tell them this game costs shitloads if you ever want to actually use the bigger weapons or craft anything remotely decent and i also tell them i started with the grandeous plan of sweating and never depositing and after 3 months of pure boredom i deposited and have been for almost 3 years, so some do actually stay and deposit :) I figure the longer i stay the more years my deposits are spread out over and it wont look like so much :)

And as far as starting from scratch no i would not :) as ive been there and done that, i did start from scratch and am now quite well skilled the only barrier now is the extreme cost, i dont mind paying for my entertainment but it is becoming rather a lot of money to justify.

As i said though, i go there to heal and meet new people not to sway them in any direction what so ever and i tell them the cold hard freakin expensive facts. I dont consider it a job that MA should be doing i just consider it skilling up my chips and mingling with people, some funny bastards at swamp and you hear the funniest replies :)

MA should be advertising the fuck out of this game and adding some great content (and some great old content) and devaluing the freakin ped :)

I enjoy the game, the risks, the rewards (sometimes) and the mates and to some extent the frustrations :) gl all

Last edited:
I started in january, and exactly as described it is a dead-town feeling, but the graphical engine makes so beautiful lights that you first go have a walk to enjoy. Then I went around PA and heard people chating about Nea and TwinP but i wasn't able to reach the appointment so i had to go by myself at Nea wich was pretty horrible and took me hours lol. Then i understood that the guide "how to make money in eu" i had read was a bit outdated as it was talking about 30 peds /k sweat lol and when i made my own calculation with the number i've had in a 3-4 hours (not even 1k) and the price given (4,5 peds at that time) I understood it was not newcomer-friendly for sure.
So i deposited 2 days after, and after like 4 hours of forum reading i decided to go corinth for daikibas. I think i was able to play 5 days with my 50$ not more, I never met nobody around corinth in 5 days, ending with 0peds and nothing in the storage although having made the trip to twin peaks after each run to resell and get every pec i was able, just an opalo a vivo t1 and a m2100 that i sold back.
haha when i read myself i think i must be a looser to have staid after these first days. But i thought it was possible to find my place in EU still after many years of ignoring its existence. I was wrong, 8 monthes later with a few thousands $ down, at 0 peds storage emtpy i know it for sure.
All that to say maybe distribution mechanics would have to change to hold on newcomers, the normal ones, (not the nolifes hardcore players like me that go straight to forums to learn), that I guess/hope run away as said in another post as soon as they account the first 20$ last just a few days.

So I say your intiative is really nice, the only point i disagree: EU is not fun at all, why trying to prove it is? it is beautiful and has probably atm the more evolved graphical engine, but it wont last and that's all "fun" we can say about it. Even the cars are a pain to drive. If you run to discover and have mobs following you, better don't meet nobody or they will hate you because the AI is so community-friendly that 3/4 of your mobs will run to the other person. Very funny!!! A chess game is more funny than EU is actually, but as I believe in the "feeder-eater" system I guess newcomers are necessary to be hold the longest possible in the universe.

Beside that whatever hard and boring the game is, its community can allways be nice, wich is the case here, on surface at least. Radios and EF are both outside of the game and both are the real aim of EU, imo of course.

I'll try to go give a few hours maybe, but with 8 monthes and so much money lost I think except sad things like "don't play it it's a totally already owned territory" i don't have much to teach to a newcomer :(

In my opinion everything that has been said about the high start-up costs is true. Another point I like to address is that there is a 1 man radio station hurting more new players then he is helping. The fact that it is directly targeted at the new players in the new players area makes it a even more cruel thing to be doing.

Granted he may have been able to brianwash a few players into thinking he is some kinda of gaming/radio God. I regret to say that I to was 1 of these brainwashed people until recently. The fact of the matter is I know personally that he has caused so much distress among many new players that they have now quit just because of him. Just by observing the attendance that he has at his parties, its more then safe to say that more noobs have moved on to something different rather then play in a game where the community and publishers allow this type of cruel behavior to continue.

This is nothing more then a new players opinion, please keep your criticism towards me to a minimum. If you must criticize me at least see my profile 1st before doing so. Taking the time to see why a new player such as myself can have such a negative attitude towards a specific individual may change your criticizing statement that you were thinking of making.

I started in january, and exactly as described it is a dead-town feeling, but the graphical engine makes so beautiful lights that you first go have a walk to enjoy. Then I went around PA and heard people chating about Nea and TwinP but i wasn't able to reach the appointment so i had to go by myself at Nea wich was pretty horrible and took me hours lol. Then i understood that the guide "how to make money in eu" i had read was a bit outdated as it was talking about 30 peds /k sweat lol and when i made my own calculation with the number i've had in a 3-4 hours (not even 1k) and the price given (4,5 peds at that time) I understood it was not newcomer-friendly for sure.
So i deposited 2 days after, and after like 4 hours of forum reading i decided to go corinth for daikibas. I think i was able to play 5 days with my 50$ not more, I never met nobody around corinth in 5 days, ending with 0peds and nothing in the storage although having made the trip to twin peaks after each run to resell and get every pec i was able, just an opalo a vivo t1 and a m2100 that i sold back.
haha when i read myself i think i must be a looser to have staid after these first days. But i thought it was possible to find my place in EU still after many years of ignoring its existence. I was wrong, 8 monthes later with a few thousands $ down, at 0 peds storage emtpy i know it for sure.
All that to say maybe distribution mechanics would have to change to hold on newcomers, the normal ones, (not the nolifes hardcore players like me that go straight to forums to learn), that I guess/hope run away as said in another post as soon as they account the first 20$ last just a few days.

So I say your intiative is really nice, the only point i disagree: EU is not fun at all, why trying to prove it is? it is beautiful and has probably atm the more evolved graphical engine, but it wont last and that's all "fun" we can say about it. Even the cars are a pain to drive. If you run to discover and have mobs following you, better don't meet nobody or they will hate you because the AI is so community-friendly that 3/4 of your mobs will run to the other person. Very funny!!! A chess game is more funny than EU is actually, but as I believe in the "feeder-eater" system I guess newcomers are necessary to be hold the longest possible in the universe.

Beside that whatever hard and boring the game is, its community can allways be nice, wich is the case here, on surface at least. Radios and EF are both outside of the game and both are the real aim of EU, imo of course.

I'll try to go give a few hours maybe, but with 8 monthes and so much money lost I think except sad things like "don't play it it's a totally already owned territory" i don't have much to teach to a newcomer :(

In my opinion everything that has been said about the high start-up costs is true. Another point I like to address is that there is a 1 man radio station hurting more new players then he is helping. The fact that it is directly targeted at the new players in the new players area makes it a even more cruel thing to be doing.

Granted he may have been able to brianwash a few players into thinking he is some kinda of gaming/radio God. I regret to say that I to was 1 of these brainwashed people until recently. The fact of the matter is I know personally that he has caused so much distress among many new players that they have now quit just because of him. Just by observing the attendance that he has at his parties, its more then safe to say that more noobs have moved on to something different rather then play in a game where the community and publishers allow this type of cruel behavior to continue.

This is nothing more then a new players opinion, please keep your criticism towards me to a minimum. If you must criticize me at least see my profile 1st before doing so. Taking the time to see why a new player such as myself can have such a negative attitude towards a specific individual may change your criticizing statement that you were thinking of making.

Interesting read guys. I need to do a deeper research about the things you talk about before actually being able to respond. And the fact that Sinofmen to add on this is a banned forum member...

Perhaps we should visit those places once in a while, and not only chat with them, but also take them to hunt a bit.. although last time i did it, i was accused of having made some cheat with the team settings since i was taking almost all loot. It was set as stack share and he couldn't understand how my opalo did more damage than his kickass unmaxed breer m2a...:rolleyes:

I ended-up having to teach for more time than i expected.

It's harder now than it was when i started, loot-wise. There are loads of people hunting low mobs very efficiently, which make it harder for noobs. I for one am hunting small molisks now, and i can't really complain about loots. But to reach this point, they will have to skill hardcore for at least a couple of years.
Other helps are more numerous. The thing is.. swamp camp is so freaking far away now it makes PA a cold and empty space when in the past it was boiling with life. FPC did good with NAZ, but they should get swamp camp closer to PA, perhaps next to the mall could be enough. And who of us have the time and patience to go to swamp camp now? In the past i used to go there or at least to the combibo island near PA mall, to chat, heal players and kill dry combibos. Now i don't anymore.. too far away.

Last edited:
I've done this for hours, I've added newbs to my FL, I even gave them free stuff. You know how many of those newbs still log in? 0, zip, nada. I give up honestly. If MA wont make the game fun for new players why the hell should I still try? All my efforts all go to shit anyways. I might start if MA starts making changes but until then there on there own unless they ask for my help.

i thought that was for the people who got that free comunity armor :scratch2:

but sure give such an armor to me and i wont mind saying a few positive things about EU even if its not true :silly2:

When I see a newcomer, I talk to them and after that decide what I do.

If they ask "How do i make $$$" I walk away, if they ask "So wherez the best party?" I press 5 :)

Perhaps we should visit those places once in a while, and not only chat with them, but also take them to hunt a bit.. although last time i did it, i was accused of having made some cheat with the team settings since i was taking almost all loot. It was set as stack share and he couldn't understand how my opalo did more damage than his kickass unmaxed breer m2a...:rolleyes:

I ended-up having to teach for more time than i expected.

It's harder now than it was when i started, loot-wise. There are loads of people hunting low mobs very efficiently, which make it harder for noobs. I for one am hunting small molisks now, and i can't really complain about loots. But to reach this point, they will have to skill hardcore for at least a couple of years.
Other helps are more numerous. The thing is.. swamp camp is so freaking far away now it makes PA a cold and empty space when in the past it was boiling with life. FPC did good with NAZ, but they should get swamp camp closer to PA, perhaps next to the mall could be enough. And who of us have the time and patience to go to swamp camp now? In the past i used to go there or at least to the combibo island near PA mall, to chat, heal players and kill dry combibos. Now i don't anymore.. too far away.

I've done this for hours, I've added newbs to my FL, I even gave them free stuff. You know how many of those newbs still log in? 0, zip, nada. I give up honestly. If MA wont make the game fun for new players why the hell should I still try? All my efforts all go to shit anyways. I might start if MA starts making changes but until then there on there own unless they ask for my help.

What I say is not that we need to play together with the noobs. Just being there waisting a few peds hunting etc, to show others that there is people here. Act like a turret, go skill mindforce or healing. Have fun in and around PA. There is no need to give others stuff etc. I have one basic rule in life: Gifts are given, not asked for!

I think one of the important things for us as a community is to state to take care of the new players. Not as mentors, more like raw modells. We need to show up close to where our new fellow noob is. If we show what they can becomme they will get a better initiative to wokr for their futire.

The tipping point is to show that being a EU player is fun. So please spend at least on or two hours of your EU life close to where you expect a noob will show up. Be prepared to answer some questions regarding the EU life and show your new playmate what this game has to offer. Together we can be the tipping point of keeping new players in hour litel corne of the virtual world.

just my 2 pec....

EdIt:

Lots of ex players says that this game is a pyramid scheme. Is it?

Update to my previous posts. I spent hour and a half at swamp. Talked to a few new players, way over paid for their sweat, and offered any assistance if needed. They seemed puzzled i did any of that but took the ped and went on their merry way. Was it a fruitful use of time? Probably not, and don't really care if it ends up they quit or not. Odds are they will.

Had an interesting conversation with a friend out there. I asked her is the new player situation better or worse. I knew the answer. Worse of course. Another friend said no one buys sweat now what your doing is good. Whole time i was there i didnt' even see ONE sweat reseller/buyer etc. Now this was like 11 pm my time (5 or 6 ma time) so it is the dead part of the day. But what i saw was a sea of green dots *sweaters* no one buying.

Guess it shows the state of that market. New player trying the game out for free or trying to play for free don't have a chance in hell out side someone being nice to buy their stuff. Sorry again for being negative but hey i tried to do the "right" thing cause i do care about what happens to the new player community.

kosmos

Last edited:

just my 2 pec....

EdIt:

Nice suggestion Nirfu and I would like to see more skilled players help out at swamp. Yet swamp camp has a few issues that needs to be addressed by FPC and Mindark. And I do believe FPC and Mindark finally got the message and working on some solutions.

Old Swamp Camp and Port Atlantis worked well, those where the social gathering places for new players. There they did meet the more experienced players. But FPC and Mindark made, in my view, a few important mistakes.

Most important one is sweating I think, they had it right in the old engine, yet changed it to a rat-race. And no it’s not about the sweat price or amount of sweat, it’s about the social aspect while sweating. In old Swamp Camp one had time to ask questions while they loaded up the sweat stages. Others had the time to answer while sweating or simply chat and get to know other players. This way new players could do two thing at the same time. Sweat and get info about the game. Time is money right ? Public chat was very much alive back then, now minutes can pass without anyone using public chat. I have spend the last year many hours in swamp camp mostly every day I been there. What I did notice is the amount of players active in swamp camp is around 1/3 of what it used to be in old swamp camp. Most experienced players do no longer go to swamp camp, most say it is too far from Port Atlantis now.

The following changes I would suggest to FPC and Mindark. First move Swamp Camp half the distance closer to Port Atlantis, both places could become more active again like in the old engine. Especially when storage is removed again from Swamp Camp like it was before, this creates the need to visit Port Atlantis. Something very few had a problem with in the old engine. I do know some will claim, we have cars now, or they can teleport, yet we all know most new players lack the funds to buy such items in the beginning. And the beginning is the most important period for new players !

Second, bring back the old style sweating, giving new players more time to interact with others via public chat. Again, time is money right ?
There is really no shame in admitting you made a mistake and correcting it. ;)

And last I would suggest FPC and Mindark to take a very serious look at the loot for new players. The past year I have been helping and following a few new players and was shocked by the returns they got. If it had been like that for me back in 2007, I would not have been here now. First one I helped made it to level 34, yet is now on such huge losses that I feel ashamed I helped her out. Another two guys gave up after they deposited +500ped and did get almost nothing in return. I have watched them hunt on a team, so I could see their loots. Mostly they started out well on the first 10ped ammo, then it they started to hit no loot after no loot almost the entire hunt. I do know 500ped isn’t much in EU, but when FPC and Mindark manage to rip that off their ped cards within two weeks, I cannot blame them for giving up. If we want new players to stay, it’s a bad thing to rip them dry the minute they deposit. It does really not help if they see less than 50% back of the hunting, mining or crafting costs.

I will continue to help these players out, but now FPC and Mindark have to make changes to keep these new players in game.

Last edited:
Back