PCF Rules Discussion Thread

Status
that was fast. :D

We could also discuss how much i rule! ;D

Did I not write down "Shameless Selfpromotion" in the rules? :scratch:

No?

Fine then! ;)

;D I would however support a rule that "encourages" people to help promote ... me..

Now, people! I know there are a lot of people who dissagrees with a lot of rules, just take them up here ^^

In either case!
I think all bans should be lifted since now FPC runs the forum, if someone behaves badly they can be banned again, but it would be appropriate to lift all the bans yet? Since it is afterall a forum connected to the game now to a extent it has not been before.

In either case!
I think all bans should be lifted since now FPC runs the forum, if someone behaves badly they can be banned again, but it would be appropriate to lift all the bans yet? Since it is afterall a forum connected to the game now to a extent it has not been before.

Like mentioned in the Announcement, We're allowing previously banned members of EF to contact us via the Contact Us form in order to possibly get their ban lifted. :)
Erasing the whole banned list would let in a flood of spambots.

Oh, thats nice! :)

Well, now out to tell all those who has been banned that they can do so. gonna be hard to find all of them, the people :p :laugh:

Cheers ^_^!

2.6 how i am supposed to proof what i read ingame like stuff that should be shared with the community? <-- i see that point very critical, we live in a world where it is: pic or it didnt happen!

3.8 is damn unneccesarry, in case i want to quit i want the community to know and thats not like "uh ah MA loses a customer" its to say goodbye. That you keep an eye on that how its done is okay, but usually i say bye when i go you know and i bet most will agree.

3.12 if its necessary to quote a whole post to make my point clear i will do it, easy as this... but i know what you mean: avoid redundance if you can

great you have no rule against discussing MAs or FPCs PR. Dont nail me down on this, but this is a weapon a nuclear weapon cannot cope with. And i will be the guy who might interfere. Believe me i saw too much bad examples out there on the net to not carry that suspiciousness.

In fact none of my 2223 posts ever got deleted for something, so if you carry on like the in the old forum i am cool with it. I am just raising the finger here, hehe...

Last edited:
1.2 - Single Account
There are many couples, brothers, or family members from the same household that play the game, some of them from the same IP and in some cases in the same PC. Are they going to be allowed to both have accounts in here? Every player should have the right to have its own account.What If the forum is ever used as a mean to participate in FPC events, will they be allowed to participate using their relatives/partners accounts?
I have met many players in game that couldn't open an account in the old EF because someone with the same IP already has an account here or some other related issues.

2.1 English only

Since Entropia is a game played by people from around the world, shouldn't it have at least sections where people can discuss game matters in their own language? I can see the need to keep it mostly english, but this is no longer a privately owned forum, it is the place for all the players of the game to come and talk, and maybe communicate with the devs of the game.

3.11 - Frivolous Posts
I hope this rule isn't too strict, at least in the fun parts of the forum, or when a thread is obviously meant to be lighthearted. No need to be serious all the time, I know im not :D.

1.2 - Single Account
There are many couples, brothers, or family members from the same household that play the game, some of them from the same IP and in some cases in the same PC. Are they going to be allowed to both have accounts in here? Every player should have the right to have its own account.What If the forum is ever used as a mean to participate in FPC events, will they be allowed to participate using their relatives/partners accounts?
I have met many players in game that couldn't open an account in the old EF because someone with the same IP already has an account here or some other related issues.

Exactly the situation here. No problem to have seperated accounts for me and my wife. I think the only thing you need to make seperate accounts for couples is: Each of them must have his own *mailadress* to register.
The IP is not a reason to get no account here.

Parlog, it's the same moderator team (+ me, who's also been a moderator for a large time you've been here I suppose) that used to be on EntropiaForum, and yep it'll be handled pretty much the same way :)

Regarding 2.6 Its about PCF's private messages, not in-game. Although I hope people show do take care when it comes to posting private communication overall, as the sender most often do intend it to be private.

Regarding 3.8 This is a rule that's been in place since the beginning of EF, long before FPC (or MA at the time) got involved; and although people might not remember it now it was because of how the old Entropia Pioneers forum got swamped with heat-of-the-moment I QUIT threads and then a week or month later it'd be "I'm back!", rinse and repeat. The idea behind the rule is that the close friends you do make via the game, you contact via private communications, and there's no need for a thread to announce you are leaving.

Regarding 3.12: Like you said, its just about redundancy :)

Malasuerte,
Regarding 1.2 Single account means one account per person, not per household. :)

Regarding 2.1 We're aware that our community is a global one, unfortunately today we don't support several languages in the general forum. In our private subforums and Social Groups dedicated to a country or language it is, however, allowed to talk in other languages.

Regarding 3.11 No, its not too strict :)

3.8 is damn unneccesarry, in case i want to quit i want the community to know and thats not like "uh ah MA loses a customer" its to say goodbye. That you keep an eye on that how its done is okay, but usually i say bye when i go you know and i bet most will agree.

Well I think people DO need to tell us if they leave or take a break. People make friends all over the world in this game and the ingame chat or the forums are the only way to communicate with those friends most of the time. Leaving without any word could get people worried about their friends.

1.2 - Single Account

Yep this needs to be addressed for sure

2.1 English only
Since Entropia is a game played by people from around the world, shouldn't it have at least sections where people can discuss game matters in their own language? I can see the need to keep it mostly english, but this is no longer a privately owned forum, it is the place for all the players of the game to come and talk, and maybe communicate with the devs of the game.

you can choose a few languages for the game, so it is only fair to have a separate section for those languages. YES the main forum should be English only, but a few sub forums in different languages will not hurt

3.11 - Frivolous Posts
I hope this rule isn't too strict, at least in the fun parts of the forum, or when a thread is obviously meant to be lighthearted. No need to be serious all the time, I know im not :D.

I feel sorry for McCormick already :D (damn is that smiley to Frivolous, I hope not)

2.14 - Administrator/Moderator Criticism
Criticism of these forum rules, or Forum Staff implementation of these forum rules is NOT permitted in any publicly viewable area of the forum. Such content WILL BE DELETED without notice. If you disagree with how the forum is being moderated or administered, please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of any forum page to contact the Forum Staff. If you are unclear about the purpose or interpretation of one of the forum rules, either contact an administrator via private message, or consult the PlanetCalypsoForum Rules Discussion thread.

So we can discuss the rules in this thread as long as its praise? :rolleyes:

Centech,
No, this is the thread where you can criticize or question.

Rule 2.14
I want to ask, is this regarding Public viewing of it only, or is it including Public Criticism and Private Criticism. E.g. PM to a Mod, Yourself or 711 criticising what a Mod has done or how Rule X.YZ is bad & can be improved.

Regarding 3.8 This is a rule that's been in place since the beginning of EF, long before FPC (or MA at the time) got involved; and although people might not remember it now it was because of how the old Entropia Pioneers forum got swamped with heat-of-the-moment I QUIT threads and then a week or month later it'd be "I'm back!", rinse and repeat. The idea behind the rule is that the close friends you do make via the game, you contact via private communications, and there's no need for a thread to announce you are leaving.
Nonetheless, it really is unreasonable to forbid people to say goodbye in public. Maybe I'm not such a close of friend of yours that you'd PM me to tell me you're leaving, but i might like to know. i might have one last thing i want to say to you first. Nah, it's just unnatural. You can't have a leaving party by PM, nor commemorate great players that you miss by PM.

Worse, this kind of rule is reminiscent of some really screwed-up fora that i've known, where the local mad dictator deletes members at the drop of a pin for daring to breathe a word of disagreement. Naturally, the deleted people are not allowed to be mentioned. And, naturally there's no way to tell that they didn't just leave of their own accord

I would not for a moment suggest that this forum is, or ever will be like that. I'm saying that you really don't want a set of rules that makes you look like that kind of set-up, nor that invite future forum staff to act in that way, should they take the rules too literally.

This rule needs careful re-wording, if it's needed at all, so that you CAN delete such threads if that old situation recurs, but making it clear that normally you wouldn't

jay :)

Re. 2.14
uh, yeah, that's another of those rules, even more reminiscent of the mad-dictator set-up than the can't-say-goodbye rule

This kind of rule is reminiscent of some really screwed-up fora that i've known, where the local mad dictator deletes members at the drop of a pin for daring to breathe a word of disagreement. Naturally, the deleted people are not allowed to be mentioned. And, naturally there's no way to tell that they didn't just leave of their own accord

I would not for a moment suggest that this forum is, or ever will be like that. I'm saying that you really don't want a set of rules that makes you look like that kind of set-up, nor that invite future forum staff to act in that way, should they take the rules too literally.

This rule needs careful re-wording, if it's needed at all, so that you CAN delete such threads ...but making it clear that normally you wouldn't

Ze-Tomb, Public. We encourage to take discussions up privately with either the moderator, me (admin) or in this thread. Notice personal disagreement with moderators shouldn't be brought up here, but questioning moderation is fine.

jaywalker, I'll consider it. :) Generally I don't believe that the rules themselves sets the mood of a forum, but rather how they are handled. It seems at the forum you talk about, it was handled rather poorly.

Ze-Tomb, Public. We encourage to take discussions up privately with either the moderator, me (admin) or in this thread. Notice personal disagreement with moderators shouldn't be brought up here, but questioning moderation is fine.

Thanks for the reply.
Something I was wondering since reading rules. :)

jaywalker, I'll consider it. :) Generally I don't believe that the rules themselves sets the mood of a forum, but rather how they are handled. It seems at the forum you talk about, it was handled rather poorly.

Thank you, Hanne :)

You have been very lucky not to encounter that situation (which happened with more than one forum) or else you'd bend over backwards (as i do, on any forum i administrate) to demonstrate that you're nothing like that! One of these fora actually started very well, but unwittingly took on a very bad moderator who caused all sorts of very serious problems before he was finally, not merely deposed, but banned. This is why i cannot really agree with an approach which asks us to trust the mods implicitly!

On this forum I actually do trust the mods, as do the vast majority here, so it seems. But that can change. And, in my experience, the mod or admin who says "Trust me and don't question my judgement" is the very one that you can't trust! So the right to openly question a moderator's judgement should always be enshrined in the rules, imo.

jay:)

Something you guys need to remember:

These aren't brand new rules. these are the exact same rules you lived with for years at EF. If you failed to read the rules back at the old site, that's your fault, not ours.

In fact, some of the rules have been relaxed here, so all this BS about "clamping down on free speech" is just arguing for arguments sake.

These aren't brand new rules. these are the exact same rules you lived with for years at EF. If you failed to read the rules back at the old site, that's your fault, not ours.

In fact, some of the rules have been relaxed here, so all this BS about "clamping down on free speech" is just arguing for arguments sake.

It amazes me how "Some rules have been relaxed." is interpreted as "We delete any posts that we don't want." for so so many people. :laugh:

This is the reason i support this thread.

I can say that rule was on EF, but tbh since this is kind of a new forum, i think such a open discussion with the new admin is needed.

Hopefully hanne can shead some light on this soon

Since it's a kind of a new forum, only fair we get a chance to question and constructively criticise the rules.

More to the topic, i am reading this thread and may post my ideas/questions later on :)

Right. There were a lot of these "FPC are clamping down on free speech" kinda comments in this thread:
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...m-i-allowed-to-say-this&p=2566110#post2566110

But all i see here is the exact kind of constructive criticism that Hanne invited us to make. I don't see anyone in this thread assuming that FPC made the rules. We're just seizing on the chance to question them, at last.

Have we got to add an apologetic "yeah I know you didn't make the rules Hanne, and I know i shoulda took it up with 711 years ago, but i somehow didn't think i was allowed to post this kind of stuff back then , silly me" to every post? Or can we just get on with it, please?

Maybe it would be a good idea for Hanne too modify the OP to add your reminder, JC, just in case that hasn't got through to everybody yet, and just in case this thread deteriorates on that account.

But judging by posts so far, you're having a go at the wrong people here.

Last edited:

These aren't brand new rules. these are the exact same rules you lived with for years at EF. I

OK, so FPC's forum rules are exactly the same as Neomaven's rules?

So, rules that a player of the game ordained, ie banning of words associated with a particular society ingame hold true now that this is an official FPC forum?

But he is just a technical chap here now, yes?

Not knocking the work that Neomaven has done with EF in the past, just wondering why a players particular rules are transferred to this forum, the official forum of FPC.

But all i see here is the exact kind of constructive criticism that Hanne invited us to make. I don't see anyone in this thread assuming that FPC made the rules. We're just seizing on the chance to question them, at last.

Not trying to stifle that at all. Just making a point that these rules, and a thread allowing folks to discuss/debate them, existed in EF. If you feel justified in reviewing the rules due to the new forum owner, fine. But for those that are debating simply because they didn't know about them back in EF, and think these are new rules, that's a different story.

Kind of up to you to decide which group you personally belong in.

OK, so FPC's forum rules are exactly the same as Neomaven's rules?

Actually a huge majority of those rules go back to the time when Mindbuster owned/ran EF.

5.7 - Trading Currencies
All prices must be expressed in PED (or EFD for EFD auctions). Sales threads or links with prices expressed in real-world currencies are NOT permitted, as this implies a transaction for cash outside of Entropia Universe approved channels, a violation of the EULA.
My guess is it'll be PCD?... of course Planet Calypso Dollars would be dollars on planet calypso, which would be the same as Project Entropia Dollars?... hmmmm...

Hey... wait a second... since the ped is linked to the dollar, any listing in PED would be an expression in real-world currency, wouldn't it?... or would it? If the PED is NOT a real-world currency, and this is the "official" forum, does that mean the promise to pay back TT values is somewhat diluted somehow, at least somewhat?...

Last edited:
Actually a huge majority of those rules go back to the time when Mindbuster owned/ran EF.

I quite agree JC :) and you know that I have been a great supporter of both owners so far, and the rules used by both.

Just questioning why there are some rules that were brought in by Neomaven that have been transferred verbatim to the forum now owned by FPC.

It seems that there are "personal" rules for One avatar playing the game that are concurrent with the Official protocols of First Planet Company.

Which begs the question. Why is One avatar favoured over the multitude on an official forum of a game?

It seems that there are "personal" rules for One avatar playing the game that are concurrent with the Official protocols of First Planet Company.

Are there? I'm not aware of any of the forum rules which state they are specific to a single avatar or group.

Which begs the question. Why is One avatar favoured over the multitude on an official forum of a game?

Reread rules and ask yourself: Have we really applied them any differently to anyone? I've had to deal with plenty of different personal disputes, and reputation-wrecking campaigns done on EF against and done by all sorts of different groups. Hopefully, We treated them all the same.

--edit--
And really, if it's about any changes in word filtering or something that you are thinking about, please remember this new site's been up a whopping 1 day. Give Hanne some time to make whatever adjustments she feels are appropriate.
--/edit--

Last edited:
In all respect to everyone refering to EF and what happened in the past, this thread has nothing to do with that. This thread is here because PCF is a new forum, and we now want to be able to review and question the rules in place. This is for a number of reasons

• First of all, we want to be able to reach a level of understanding, and what better way to do that in a constrictive discussion?
  • Second, the only way anything can be improved is if people are allowed to constructively discuss whats on their mind
  • Thirdly, a thread like this can only do good as it gives the users of PCF a chance to reach a understanding with FPC and mods.

A note on the points above, to avoid confusion, nothings perfect and theres always room for improvement. At no point in this post have i said things are bad or such. (just to avoid anyone getting wrong end of the stick)

Status
Back