Fall damage algorithm

Immortal

Slayer
Society
cK Coat Killers
Hadlen Immortal Deity
I'll use this data to calculate Calypso's Mass in a bit

fall_daamge.jpg

THis fall damage algorithm only applicable to avatars. Vehicles take fall damage within a much smaller interval, and can fall 150m+ and take no damage, but hit a small plant for 1.9

Features:

polynomial relationship for heights 5-84m
linear gradient =0 relationship for heights greater than 109m

Thanks to Xen who helped with testing :)

So you assume that the gravitational constant of the Entropia Universe is the same as the one of our universe? :silly:

Gravitational Constant is a culmination of stable physical properties (it's merely a multivariable coefficient). Changing such a value means you would be changing the parameters in which we use to measure it, and it's value is not required to calculate the mass of a large body. Changing the dimension paramaters you use to measure G will of course change the nominal of the coefficient.

+rep....

But, SPEAK ENGLISH!!!! :)

+rep....

But, SPEAK ENGLISH!!!! :)

Yeah man... I thought this a an English only forum. I guess some are more equal than others :cool:

So, can you mark the point on the chart at which I should kiss my ass goodbye?
hmm, on further reflection, if I have fallen off of something tall, my day probably sucks anyway.
I'm guessing this may have some application in intentional suicide to avoid things that might loot you, or to circumvent the 60 sec. wait to go to a revive.

So, can you mark the point on the chart at which I should kiss my ass goodbye?
hmm, on further reflection, if I have fallen off of something tall, my day probably sucks anyway.
I'm guessing this may have some application in intentional suicide to avoid things that might loot you, or to circumvent the 60 sec. wait to go to a revive.

Anything above 100m drop will kill you regardless of your hp - this kind of fall is serious airtime (4-5 seconds)
Anything greater than a 5m drop will do damage, starting at 10hp
Carried Inventory, attributes and armor worn do not have an effect on how much damage is taken

If fully healed, a fresh noob (88.22hp) could fall ~60m and survive.
A Medium Health avatar should be able to fall the maximum 99m and survive.
A typical Mall is 30-40 meters in height

I wonder what else we could learn about Planet Calypso.

Is it possible to calculate anything about the size of the planet based on the day night cycle?

I guess you'd need to know where on the planet the continents are located.

Well, I assumed you wanted to use

7cdf733b81cd2b83d434160241d6023c.png

I guess not. :)
That isn't applicable, and only used to determine the mass of a large body if the mass of another is already known.

Is it possible to calculate anything about the size of the planet based on the day night cycle?

We can estimate the size of calypso by the minerals in the ground, the breathable atmosphere, the gravity. It must also be within a certain distance of the sun. We also have to accept that the moons on calypso are in fact holograms with no mass, and stars are also faked (probably to make us feel more at home).

Btw Xen, did the bad Immortal push you over cliffs to gather the data for his geeky tests? :cry:

Bad... bad Immortal

So, looking at the graph, it seems that my avatar can fall approximately 90 metres and survive (just about) with a full health bar.

I'll test this out later on.

And +rep.

The day/night cycle is asymmetrical, is it not? That means a strangely shaped planet or a really variable sun?

Btw Xen, did the bad Immortal push you over cliffs to gather the data for his geeky tests? :cry:

Bad... bad Immortal

No, I like jumping off things. :)

I don't like that >100m equals automatic death for anyone though.

And taking damage while mining is kind of irritating. :bs:

I'm witholding judgement on the falling damage for now... teleporting is certainly A LOT more hazardous to your health than it used to be though. Took 40dmg on first standard hop to Swamp Camp after an incident with a hill ;)

Wistrel

No, I like jumping off things. :)

I don't like that >100m equals automatic death for anyone though.

And taking damage while mining is kind of irritating. :bs:

Yeah, I dispise fall damage in general. At the least, the current algorithm should be adjusted so that falling always leaves your avatar with at least .1 Health. Send your support cases guys. :)

The day/night cycle is asymmetrical, is it not? That means a strangely shaped planet or a really variable sun?
The day/night cycle on Earth is asymmetrical on Earth for most locations for most of the time. Here in the UK we get about 18hrs of daylight per day around the 21st June and only about 6hrs around 21st December, because Earth wobbles on its axis relative to its sun.

My conclusion is that Calypso has stopped wobbling on its axis meaning that its poles and that of the nearest sun are not parallel. I'd also say that Eudoria and Amerthera are both in the same hemisphere - meaning there's potentially a whole new hemisphere to explore.

That isn't applicable, and only used to determine the mass of a large body if the mass of another is already known.

Not to nitpick, but the masses (or one mass) don't (doesn't) have to be large. :) Anyway, at first I thought that we know the mass of the avatars (in the inventory window) but that's just their weight, not their mass. If you put all the equations together G might actually get canceled out. Okay, let's not overthink this little joke.

Not to nitpick, but the masses (or one mass) don't (doesn't) have to be large. :) Anyway, at first I thought that we know the mass of the avatars (in the inventory window) but that's just their weight, not their mass. If you put all the equations together G might actually get canceled out. Okay, let's not overthink this little joke.

It will allow you to work out the force applied, but we would need to know how this relates to damage. We can work around this by identifying - that will tell us mass/r, which can be refined with the other variables (habitability zones, planet density). We could also put in something about magnetic fields ;p but I fear whoever designed calypso stats didn't think that far ahead, or that anyone would be interested in that kind of stuff.

the key thing is that all you are actually looking for is g=G*m/r, and G doesn't change in Newtonian mechanics (and only works in special cases) If I was feeling sadistic I could always type out how to derive this via Relativity, but we'll let people work out for themselves how the day night cycle can actually function first :p

i tryd tp running today (neas place and the swamp is empty because of the bugs) and its annoying that you cant climb a mountain without dropping dead on the other side. so i needed to start over again :mad:

i tryd tp running today (neas place and the swamp is empty because of the bugs) and its annoying that you cant climb a mountain without dropping dead on the other side. so i needed to start over again :mad:

Luckily we now have cars that protect us from falling death :p (so who is going to write a support case about how unrealistic survivign a 500m fall in a car is)

Luckily we now have cars that protect us from falling death :p (so who is going to write a support case about how unrealistic survivign a 500m fall in a car is)

i got a car but i prefer to die then damage it :laugh:.
(i am not going to write to the support case, i already dont like that my car get damaged by a tree that fails to load in time!)

Calypsos mass?

I wonder how you want to calculate that... :scratch2:
Unless you base that on the assumption that damage taken is directly proportional to kinetic energy of the drop... which doesn't have to be the case: The formula is optimized for quick calculation, i bet, and not for realism.

Last edited:
So we reach terminal velocity after falling 109m then.

If they're going to realism then it's correct that a player wouldn't receive any more damage after that but the gradient of the curve would get smaller as it got closer to the 109m point.

(i am not going to write to the support case, i already dont like that my car get damaged by a tree that fails to load in time!)

Well the car doesn't decay, only it's hp reduces (which i guess could be a problem if you don't ahave a repair kit)

Calypsos mass?

I wonder how you want to calculate that... :scratch2:
Unless you base that on the assumption that damage taken is directly proportional to kinetic energy of the drop... which doesn't have to be the case: The formula is optimized for quick calculation, i bet, and not for realism.

Of course. That comment is purely intended as a lulz @ the shortsightedness of MA's algorithm programmers. (if you didn't notice, there is a giant red lazy! accusation on the graph :p)

I bet they made the gravity on both RT and Calypso the same -.-

Anway gravity can be derived from the gradient on damage, which can in turn allow us to estimate the mass (but there are so many flexible variables that are unmeasurable it's won't be a serious calc)

So we reach terminal velocity after falling 109m then.

If they're going to realism then it's correct that a player wouldn't receive any more damage after that but the gradient of the curve would get smaller as it got closer to the 109m point.

Correct, except where you call it terminal velocity :p it's just an unnaturally imposed limit

I think a day / night cycle similar to calypso happens on earth during the polar spring / autumn, even if temporarily. Not sure there is a way to have a sensible spherical mapping so that the cold areas of eudoria / amethera would lie at poles.

Gravity is a myth championed by traitors among us who are actual robot agents!

All laws are designed to be broken!

Agree with you on this. If you're gonna crash (like your VTOL is upside down and falling rapidly), better to eject yourself and die. Even you can send your vehicle back to storage while still falling. :)

Gravity = that mysterious force that moves my PEDs to some strange place in Sweden.

OB

Gravity is a myth championed by traitors among us who are actual robot agents!

All laws are designed to be broken!

You mean Immortal is a secret robot agent? :jawdrop:

Holly :censored:

Back