How fricking ironic (falling damage)

So far it seems that arguments in favor of keeping the fall damage mechanic are based upon almost-neutral opinions on the matter. Some people mention only how fall damage makes the game more realistic, but I'd never seen any of them push for the change before it happened. Their case boils down to "eh...fall damage wasn't really necessary for the game, but it's not doing any real harm now, and it makes the game more realistic, which is good, so I guess we may as well embrace the change with a smile." It must. If that wasn't the mindset of fall damage advocates, realism would not be of primary interest to anyone. After all, we only care about realism when implementing it doesn't do something else horrible. For example, if implementing fall damage was causing irregular behavior to PED Card balances, the word "realistic" would not appear in fall damage discussion threads.

Some of the arguments suggesting that the fall damage mechanic should be done away with or severely altered seem to be doing a good job of showing how false the premise "it's not doing any real harm now" really is. I see several examples of activities and events that can no longer properly operate: The Oberon structure, MS9's Athena TP runs, etc. I would add climbing with textures to the list. I certainly would never have reached the secret house on the hill near PVP2 if I had died each time I fell. These types of activities and events allowed for many hours of fun for many people. Of course, the concept of fun is subjective, which makes it a pain-and-a-half to discuss. In any disagreement, it seems that at least one side tries to exclusively attach the concept of fun to their position. My guess is that some folks might point out how they can have more fun playing a game that is more realistic. I would agree. However, I would also mention that realism only has the potential to enhance fun in the game; it cannot create it, as some of the activities and events that require falling can create it. If realism could outright create fun in any reasonable sense of the concept, then some players might be content to only log into the avatar creation room each time they played Entropia, so long as the surroundings were realistic. Additionally, it is obvious that fall damage plays a very small contribution to the total feeling of realism in the game. I think it is appropriate to reiterate that fall damage's positive contribution to realism (and thus its possible contribution to fun) is only significant if we assume that no greater good nor bad will come from it, and to be honest, it seems clear that there are a lot of fun activities and events that are not possible as long as death resulting from fall damage exists.

P.S. I declare this screenshot from an MS9 Athena TP run as the official image of the "Unnerf Jumping" movement! The appropriate party will be seeing it attached to my support case. =) It depicts the human invasion of Calypso.

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/2/7/7/4/8/1255294904675.jpeg

Last edited:
I would add climbing with textures to the list. I certainly would never have reached the secret house on the hill near PVP2 if I had died each time I fell.
Maybe off topic, but can someone confirm texture climbing is still possible?

I tried yesterday and couldn't do it any way I know of :(

Thank you "TheOneOmega" ... while I haven't been doing the Athena Spaceport TP run recently, I was talking not that long ago about starting it up again as part of the activities associated with the EP Media Center events. It's an amazing run from East Scylla to Athena with many jumpin' off points along the way which make it quite fun. Then when we get to Athena, we leap from one platform in order to reach Boreas easily enough, and then head back to Athena to jump from another platform which takes us to Eos ... it makes it more adventurous and fun, and it wouldn't be if people died doing this and ended up back at the Athena revival. Even at Athena there are places along the trail that are steep where everyone did jumps, and now it doesn't seem possible to do any of this. I'll just let the follow two videos show you what I mean.

Maybe off topic, but can someone confirm texture climbing is still possible?

I tried yesterday and couldn't do it any way I know of :(

I just gave it a try myself.

Selling 1 Scope @ the TP! :(

Thank you "TheOneOmega" ... while I haven't been doing the Athena Spaceport TP run recently, I was talking not that long ago about starting it up again as part of the activities associated with the EP Media Center events. It's an amazing run from East Scylla to Athena with many jumpin' off points along the way which make it quite fun. Then when we get to Athena, we leap from one platform in order to reach Boreas easily enough, and then head back to Athena to jump from another platform which takes us to Eos ... it makes it more adventurous and fun, and it wouldn't be if people died doing this and ended up back at the Athena revival. Even at Athena there are places along the trail that are steep where everyone did jumps, and now it doesn't seem possible to do any of this. I'll just let the follow two videos show you what I mean.

Well I'm still optimistic that fall damage can be eliminated, or at least the damage from a high fall can be capped to some number less than 88. There seem to be a lot of unhappy people with major concerns, so perhaps there will be a lot of support cases as well. I might start a poll of some sort too. Here's to hoping for the best, anyhow.

Without going into the topic of good vs bad, or the idiocy of whining about whining, I'll just say this;

There's just one reason this has been implemented - money. It'll have been up for a cost vs income review, been deemed to generate more money then it would cost to implement, and finally implemented. Now the question I'm asking is how they figured this would make money. I have never seen a big plea for the implementation of falling damage, so I don't think this will make such a buzz it'll increase how much people play the game - I find it more likely it's just designed to generate a bit of extra FAP decay, ie just another small cost (or handicap, if you choose to regen.) There is also a reversed possibility; falling from a great hight might bring new areas of exploiting, generating more support cases to be solved, which costs money, so it might save them money to eliminate the problem before it arises.

As for the OP, I don't think Hanne has much say in what goes on in the development. :silly2:

Really? Doesn't bother me really. Like others have been saying, it adds a hint of realism and I'm willing to bet that you are seeing more of the actual planet since you can't just Matrix your way through everything.
I took too big of a fall traveling along the mountains in order to scope out the terrain. Luckily I was close to the sweat camps and didn't have any trouble from predators. I did learn a lesson though. :)

It will bring less income to MA/FPC as you now have to make big detours to your hunting/mining location.
It will bring less income to MA/FPC because i'll have to stay around with the already nerfed healing rate until i'm back at the health level I was before I lost some health because I jumped while running down a slope.
It will bring less income to MA/FPC because I spend some percentage of my time standing around and let my avatar come back to 100% health I had insteadof hunting/mining.

I know it is because of the realism they introduced it, but do you notice that this argument is only used if it is a positive explanation for their actions? If it is for the sake of realisme why is it only for avatars, the damage, and not for mobs? Could it be that it mobs also gets damaged it could be missused to kill mobs with killing only a bit more than 50% of the health the mob has? So falling damage has only a meaning for the ones who spend money in EU(Avatars) but not for the ones who earn MA/FPCso totally one sided impact.
As stated abouve the only thing MA/FPC understands is their income. If everyone would stand around for the time their avatar needs to be healed to the level befor the falling damage I bet MA will change it back because of this 5 to 10% lesser income with same time spent in EU.

If it will not suite the argumentation of MA/FPC for a change it is a Virtual world in the future on another planet and cant be compared to Earth.

6 Misses from point blank on a mob standing 5 meters in front of you with the size of a small house is as realistic as not takeing any damage froma 50 meter fall or reconstruction of your body at the revival etc.

This is a made up world so everything can be made the way the developers or MA wants it.

This is how I started my final run for the 10k merps:

Oh no I had time to get me something to drink and dosome other things than spending DECAY (Income to MA)

If every Participant of this Service would do the same I think next VU will see some correction to this.

PS: the 10 Minutes are lost to MA as I did not play 10 minutes longer because of that...

Last edited:
Does fall damage affect armor, or just your health? If it affects armor, this is NOT a good thing at all... much worse then the decay costs for changing clothes.

No it doesnt affect armor..just health..:)

Ummmm...

1) The "falling" people on Obe's video are actually just a visual glitch. From perspective of the "falling" avatars, they were stationary. So they did not get damaged from falling. The only time they get damaged from falling is when they decided to leave the platform (or perhaps jump from the top one to the bottom one - good luck with that :laugh:)
2) You can still stand on textures although there is no easy way to lay them. Thanks for posting this publicly and making Mindark once again aware of the "bug". (sarcasm).
3) Platforms can be built over water so that avatars sustain no damage. Same applies to vehicles, btw.

My 2 ... no wait ... 3 pec :)

Falling adds realism?
So being realthose with high str would take less dmg
or
more dmg as high str means large/dense muscles so greater mass
or
those carrying 50kgs would take less than those carrying 250kgs.
Realism would mean you Avatar developed as you stats and skills did.
But
its a game, so its all based on..............no expletives allowed

All I want is stable spawns
oh
and a stable platform lol

What about all the leaps from the bridges and areas ....

Those are not only in Zychion.. I tried to drive down from Athena Spacestation and there are some bridges, when you try to drive on them you go below them and drop down a loooong way, sometimes it was funny, sometimes annoying withouth taking damage from that .. but now it even hurts :eek::eek::eek:

*shrug* Fall damage increases the level of realism. A person isn't gonna walk away from a 300+ meter fall without divine intervention.

Realism isn't the Holy Grail in the gaming industry. Entertainment value is.

Realism isn't the Holy Grail in the gaming industry. Entertainment value is.

Which is why I really enjoyed the first video that MindStar9 posted a little back, but really wanted everyone to go splat in the second. :D

Back