Question: Do you consider your deposits an investment, or a purchase?

How do you see your EU deposits?

• As a purchase.

Votes: 65 50.0%
  • As an investment.

Votes: 48 36.9%
  • I play EU for EFD.

Votes: 17 13.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jjmatrix

Stalker
Society
SPU
JJ Ony Matrix
Hi all; I couldn't find a poll related to my question... if there is one already, I apologise.

The question is really simple: how do you see your deposits into EU?

1. As a purchase? Meaning that you simply buy PEDs with the intent to just have fun and entertain yourself, but with NO hope of recouping ANY of your money.

2. As an investment? Meaning that you invest in something in EU (could be estate, items, your own Avatar, the egg etc.) with the hope that someday you'll be able to get back some, most, all, or more of your money?

Also, I know that some (just like myself) are split between the two "views" outlined above, which would've required a third option; I intentionally have only the two above... as I'm trying to leave as little room for interpretations as possible.

Also, please feel feel to discuss you point of view.

PS there is a third option though... without which poll cannot exist :laugh:.
Also, please note that this poll will be closed in 30 days.

I deposit with the intent of furthering my goals in EU (high skills, good gear, etc). I don't plan on taking anything out in the near future, but I do try to make my PED last.

Everything i buy/spend to make money = investment
Everything i spend for fun reasons = purchase

In EU both happens for me and sometimes it is even mixed in one purchase

Both.....:scratch:

Sometimes I deposit clearly to spend on entertainment other times is see an opportunity and deposit to take advantage of it. Sort of like life not all investments pan out but the ones that do make up for the ones that don't.

I've spent a lot of PED on my avatar over the years and some is to enhance my entertainment value with an added benefit of increasing its value at times.
Not saying I am uber successful at it but I try to make value added decisions to my avatar whether it be an investment op or strictly entertainment.

PED is fluid in EU IMO. Nothing is a given not even the amount of ped spent on entertainment. Some days I spend nothing other days I can't stop the ped drain other than signing off which is always an option believe or not. I've often had days where I've signed off due to horrible loot to come back the next day to more favorable conditions.

So as long as you avatar is growing IMHO its entertainment is some for or fashion and an investment as well but that's just my :twocents:

1. As a purchase? Meaning that you simply buy PEDs with the intent to just have fun and entertain yourself, but with NO hope of recouping ANY of your money.

Definitely #1 - a purchase. I view it as entertainment. After considering the cost of gas to get there, then a drink + popcorn, price of a ticket, and gas to get home... I have more fun in EU than at the movies (and I can download most movies free anyway :laugh: )

Any profit (rare) is welcome, but not planned on nor is it expected.

I pay for fun and consider every deposit a 100% loss.

I did some deposits that was meant for investment, but the plans behind it failed.
Actually no more investment into EU, there are much better RL options.

you have no legal right to money, so its not an investment. to MA its a sale on their books. anyone "investing" is only doing so in the same way they might invest in a new car or a new pair of shoes.

if your lucky you might get some back, if very lucky (or been around long enough) get more back.

btw, the definitions a massivly rigged and incorrect, allowing no middle ground and opening up mis-interpretation. anything normally purchased has some possibility of being sold on to recouped.

Last edited:
For me personally its a blend of both Purchase and Investment, however 99% of the time its mainly just to have fun and enjoy the game every time I login into it. Sometimes I find that the collection of assets collected over a very long period has a lot of value to in time lol, for instance for me I didn't even had to deposit to buy most of the Vehicles when it came out, funny enough I had a long lost apartment I completely forgot about last time I went there was like 2 1/2 years ago so I went there and grabbed a few items weapons and old armor and just sold those an brought me vehicles, That was quite cool.

Anyway I believe what count's in the end is to Just have fun :yay:, who cares if you don't deposit or even don't do anything just wonder around enjoy the scenery, help others, or maybe just chat. (That's my thoughts anyway).

kguruax Out :)

Purchase definately... I consider it a loss, and what I want in return is entertainement (even if that's getting hard to get lately).

Purchase for sure! No way I would invest my money in EU! :D

Like others have said I do 2 different types. I deposit $100US every fortnight for fun waether i am broke in game or not, but on occasions depo extra to invest in items. Although admittedly half of my last investment was bought with 10k I had built up from left over fun deposits/hofs and items I have sold over the last 6 months of this year.

Currently I see it as pure loss ( although i did have one nice hunt yesterday where I almost broke even without counting armour gun and fap decay)

All my deposits are entirely an investment and a purchase.

I prefer to invest in emerging markets elsewhere. :)

Currently I see it as pure loss ( although i did have one nice hunt yesterday where I almost broke even without counting armour gun and fap decay)

Yups. blablabla enuffformessageshortnow

I voted "investment", but really the answer is "both". I don't expect to be able to get back all I've deposited. I realise that someone have to pay for the game to keep running, however, I still do have a rather big investment in the game.

I also view them as a complete loss because unless I withdraw them we're at the bottom of the list of creditors if MA go bust plus they're not from a deposit in the last few months.

A purchase for entertainment value, same as a movie ticket. What makes it so cool is that in this movie, I get to kick some robot and alien ass with my friends!

If the game had same balance like 4 - 5 years ago i would invest but as it is to day you never know on what side MA wake up next morning so i find it hard to trust them in any way so today my answer would be no.

It is quite simple. I ONLY deposit into EU when I do an investment. For example into a weapon. The ammount of PED I deposited so far is quite equal to the TT value of all things I own in EU. So I definitly invested into EU... that ammount and not more... the rest like MU and skills is what I get as ROI from my investment.
Hunt for Markup guys. gl

I originally started out thinking this would be a long term investment. I was out of work and had plenty time to play after having a vertibre in my neck fused. I figured I had time to put real effort into This and would have a little advantage over others with limited time to invest.

After the fussion was done and the migraines I get were not resolving I had an implant put in me that blocks pain signals from getting to my brain. I Knew that would take a long time to go thru that process and thats when I decided to actually put money into EU to grow faster withthe ultimate goal of land ownership.

By the time I was off the heavy medications on an hourly basis and realised what it truely took to play at that level I was too vested into EU to just walk away. Once I realised there are certain qualifications for success in EU I knew large scale play would never happen so I had to rethink my future in EU.

Now after VU 11 and on I have had to rethink yet again as any of us have had to where this is actually going knowing the possibilty to break even let alone the probabilty lessens with every VU that gets put out is far less then the previous one was.

I dont think I can say I fit in any catagory for the poll now... Investment takes no less then 150k usd to be secure in what will pay back over time and that is impossible for me financially at this point after not working near 5 years now.

I cant say I invest in EU as strictly entertainment because if thats all it is / was / or will be I could just walk away and cut losses.

and I cant say I invest for EFDs becuase even that change has gone down the crapper recently.

These days I just consider it a free gift to my dear friends at FPC and MA. :hug:

I look at it like a purchase, i do not intend to get anything back

i do try to keep deposits monthly though and only deposit when it is really needed

as eu is an expensive hobbie

A purchase, because as an investment, it's the worst option in the world.

its both for me... I depo to have fun but hope that the first depos will make the later depos last longer... therefore the first was investments :)

I think there is a barrier of language when talking about deposits.

Technically, everything you do in life is an investment, whether it be education, financial, materialism etc. The investment is time or money, and the reward is happiness/personal satisfaction, more time, more money.

When I think of the financial term "investment" I usually associate it to the allocation of funds to generate passive income. Passive income is that which earns itself without you needing to be present.

Unless you own a land area or mall, you do not earn passive income - hence depositing in EU is subjective. FOr most people, it is an active income, and therefore not what a financial person would call "investment". I think In the past, buying weapons up then selling them 6 months later for +20% could have been classified as investment, as could have owning a bank.

I think for the majority of people, depositing into EU is like owning a bicycle. You can buy a bicycle and it can sit in your garage, or you can use it to get somewhere, in place of other modes of transportation, for leisure. And if you decide to take a break from using your bicycle, it will be just the way you left it. Depending on the time and effort you put in, your bicycle might be seriously pimped out and efficient, and parts of it you've developed can eventually be sold to other people. It is the ownership of the ultimate meta-bicycle that drives my deposits, and I can customize it just the way I like.

I deposit for entertainment and functionality so! that would be a purchase! my avatar has been a EU resident since 2007-12-18 i have accumulated a lot of stuff that i dont even use anymore...the only thing i do is mining! and having fun times with friends i have made over the years playing :) so my percashes are based around those endeavor........

I See It As A Purchase. I Purchase Entertainment But Lately Seems To Be Less And Less Entertaining For The Peds Spent Seeing As They Don't Last Nearly As Long As They Use To. Every Depo Is Done Knowing I Will Only See It For A Few Min, And Then Never Again. :(

-Bemo-

Voted for investment. Some people may see an investment as a large dollar amount. My "investment" is rather small. Kind of like doing some trading with a new stock broker. Give him a little bit of money and see how well he does before investing any larger amounts.

So far, when totaling the TT value of my inventory, my ped card, and the market value for my skills, I've gotten about a 20% annual return on my money. That's certainly outperformed the stock market the last few years.

However I'm a little concerned about the future health of this platform, so it has kept me from putting any more money in. Could be high risk, high reward, but I'm a fairly risk-adverse type of person. I like to be pretty confident in my chances for success, but the way things are at the moment, it's a little questionable.

If it wasn't real money involved, it would be strictly entertainment for me. But being that there is real money, it changes the way I approach things.

Back