Visa (Debit) Cards Don't Deposit

AmberWaters

Young
Society
Freelancer
Amber Mina Waters
I forgot about this when I went to the store, bought a temporary debit Visa card, and tried to deposit my monthly maximum of $20 (can't remove that limit on debit cards not connected to a bank account, as far as I know, but that's a secondary complaint.) It said deposit rejected by provider. I couldn't quite remember if it was Visa or MasterCard that does this, but I DO remember having contacted the support of both companies (MA/FPC and Visa) and having MA tell me it was Visa's problem and having Visa tell me that they didn't trust this game enough to allow deposits (and some overseas online transaction stuff since I'm in the US, but still, that generally gets overlooked for bigger companies I think.) I've also had problems in the past with a card that was connected to the bank being unable to deposit, but that was a few years back and I had assumed that they had gotten verified to do business with Visa by now. Apparently not.

So, I'm out $4 activation fee + tax + gas + time now if I try to go exchange the card for a MasterCard. Not a big deal, but it is both annoying and troubling. Visa is a bigger company than MA, FPC, whoever, and they would do well to get on its good side soon and prove that they are a trustworthy company running a secure platform worth doing this kind of depositing business with ASAP. Also, if it doesn't work anyways, remove the god damn option to deposit with Visa for US residents to at least avoid this kind of confusion.

I had that problem once. Sometimes the transaction is refused by the provider because there isnt enough funds in the card or account that you are trying to deposit with. I am just taking a wild guess but if you are depositing with a temporary Visa Card for 20 dollars and you only loaded it with 20 dollars, did you take into account the surcharges charged by the Companies (if any) or Exchange Rates related to Currency. Perhaps there is a Hidden fee that you didnt account for,

that would certainly block the transaction. :ahh:

Don't use Green Dot cards

IIRC Green Dot won't work with EU with either Visa or Master Charge so avoid those. I use a Visa card but it's with a major bank unless Visa has suddenly stopped allowing use overseas.

hmm strange, every deposit I have done in my 3 years was done with either a prepaid Visa, Visa debt or Vis card, mostly visa debit

I had that problem once. Sometimes the transaction is refused by the provider because there isnt enough funds in the card or account that you are trying to deposit with. I am just taking a wild guess but if you are depositing with a temporary Visa Card for 20 dollars and you only loaded it with 20 dollars, did you take into account the surcharges charged by the Companies (if any) or Exchange Rates related to Currency. Perhaps there is a Hidden fee that you didnt account for,

that would certainly block the transaction. :ahh:

Agreed my guess is your $20 limit is not accounting for the fee and/or Exchange rate to USD. try $19 then $18 and i would guess it would work I you kept trying less and less antill fee's Exhange rate lines up

IIRC Green Dot won't work with EU with either Visa or Master Charge so avoid those. I use a Visa card but it's with a major bank unless Visa has suddenly stopped allowing use overseas.

this isn't true i've been using my Green Dot MC for deposits for about a year now and never had an issue

this isn't true i've been using my Green Dot MC for deposits for about a year now and never had an issue

hmmm Strange, I was told not to use one last year... Maybe when they first came out they didn't accept MA deposits.

Agreed my guess is your $20 limit is not accounting for the fee and/or Exchange rate to USD. try $19 then $18 and i would guess it would work I you kept trying less and less antill fee's Exhange rate lines up

Nope, tried it, nothing. I've used MasterCard prepaids in the past, and they work. Visas don't.

It's a $25 card, by the way, so there won't be a $5 hidden fee on a $20 transaction. You enter the amount in USD, not PED, so exchange rate doesn't matter.

Last edited:
I am in Canada and have in the past used Visa Gift Cards as well as Mastercard gift cards. I don't know if these are the same cards you're talking about. Anyway, a few days after you've used the card, you can login to the website to check the balance and transactions etc. for that card. There WILL be the deposit code thingy (can't remember exactly what MA calls it) that you can use to validate your account. Once you do that with one card, you can deposit any denomination you wish up to 30k PED/mth. HOWEVER, you can only add 3 cards per week.

With my REAL credit card, it (the credit card) has been locked for security purposes about 20 times in the last year and a half because I've used it to deposit in-game. This means I'm on the phone for 15 min. each time to verify my attempted transaction and get it unlocked. I initially thought that it was because I'm in Canada making a transaction to a Swedish account. However, the last time this happened I tried explaining it to them and requested that the card no-longer gets locked when attempting to make a purchase from MA. Their response was that it (MindArk PE AB) was NOT a trustworthy company and the longest period of time they could give me was 3 months without an unlock. After that I would have to request another 3 months or my card COULD get locked again (Up to the fraud prevention division of my Credit Card company). So lately I've been going back to using the "Visa Gift Cards".

Good Luck, and I hope this helps.

Oh... P.S. here in Canada there has recently been a 45 minute activation "wait period" implemented on both Visa and Mastercard gift cards. So they won't work until 45 minutes after they've been swiped at the time of purchase.

I would also like to add that I don't believe it's fair for my CC company to state that MA is not trustworthy (they said trustworthy and not "MA is not a trusted company") I have had NO problems whatsoever with any of my credit card transactions and am happy with the deposit services offered, and feel I can trust them with my Credit Card information.

Menace

Get a PayPal debit card (MC) .. works in EU for deposits

Last edited:
I am in Canada and have in the past used Visa Gift Cards as well as Mastercard gift cards. I don't know if these are the same cards you're talking about. Anyway, a few days after you've used the card, you can login to the website to check the balance and transactions etc. for that card. There WILL be the deposit code thingy (can't remember exactly what MA calls it) that you can use to validate your account. Once you do that with one card, you can deposit any denomination you wish up to 30k PED/mth. HOWEVER, you can only add 3 cards per week.

With my REAL credit card, it (the credit card) has been locked for security purposes about 20 times in the last year and a half because I've used it to deposit in-game. This means I'm on the phone for 15 min. each time to verify my attempted transaction and get it unlocked. I initially thought that it was because I'm in Canada making a transaction to a Swedish account. However, the last time this happened I tried explaining it to them and requested that the card no-longer gets locked when attempting to make a purchase from MA. Their response was that it (MindArk PE AB) was NOT a trustworthy company and the longest period of time they could give me was 3 months without an unlock. After that I would have to request another 3 months or my card COULD get locked again (Up to the fraud prevention division of my Credit Card company). So lately I've been going back to using the "Visa Gift Cards".

Good Luck, and I hope this helps.

Oh... P.S. here in Canada there has recently been a 45 minute activation "wait period" implemented on both Visa and Mastercard gift cards. So they won't work until 45 minutes after they've been swiped at the time of purchase.

I would also like to add that I don't believe it's fair for my CC company to state that MA is not trustworthy (they said trustworthy and not "MA is not a trusted company") I have had NO problems whatsoever with any of my credit card transactions and am happy with the deposit services offered, and feel I can trust them with my Credit Card information.

Menace

Cool!! Thanks Menace I was wondering about this for some time now... I will go out and get me one!! :yay:

have not tried to deposit with prepaid card for a while... Always used to do it with visa prepaid card purchased from walgreens. In this area, it seems to be just about the only place to buy a prepaid card that doesn't say domestic only. I don't buy green dot since they seem silly to have if I'm just going to deposit everything on the card all at one time. I have never had problems with credit cards or real bank debit card transactions, but don't necessarily like keeping debit card on the account since it's too risky security wise - since hackers might find it even without a gold card, and more importantly my drunken self may log in and deposit with it someday when I should not - if it's not on the account, that's less likely to happen, lol.

I think there is a limit to the amount you can deposit on first try without that special code mentioned already... the key is to buy the prepay cards below that amount so you don't have to fiddle with that code.

I have now too experienced failure to deposit with my VISA debit card that has previously worked.

So far no resolution from support. I'll post an update once I get a reply from support.

netspend.com is a good prepaid card company for US players, they use visa. yes i've used it for EU several times.

if you do signup for this get me to give you an invite as you'll get $20 free with your first depo.

I have always deposited with my Visa debit card. Almost 3 years in fact. However, about 6 weeks ago I got a message when trying to deposit that said my provider denied the deposit. I called my bank and they said Visa had denied it for an unknown reason, but suspected that Visa did not trust the company that I was depositing to. Sent a support case and asked if there had been any issues like this before and if Visa was now denying deposits to EU. I was told that MA did not know why my deposit was rejected and to call my provider. :scratch2: Anyway, haven't tried to depo since, so I'm not sure if it is still an issue, or not.

Hmm very interesting, well my visa debit card from Barclays works deposited just last week infact.

Green Dot Cards work just fine for depositing, I've done it myself and over time probably 600$ worth with mine.

Paypal Debit cards work just fine as well.

First poster I'd have to side with, more than likely, surcharges are why it was rejected. I don't know a prepaid card out there that you can get and load 20 buck's, that is free and that 20$ goes straight to the account.

I've had this problem myself before, more than likely they took the activation amount out of the 20, and the remainder was left on the card, thus bouncing when you attempt to charge the full 20.

Also, it's quite possible to raise the limit above the initial 20$ mark with the card, should lift just fine after a small grace period after making your first deposit.

I also went through this on a prepaid visa debit card. Was told by visa that this type of card was declined because it was an overseas transaction. I mentioned to visa it worked fine before, they told me it had changed since my last deposit. They did mention that there was a specific type of prepaid visa that would work.

I don't remember the name of it though. I just went and got a prepaid mastercard instead. Visa you lost my business. Hope mastercard doesn't go the same route.

Hope it helps,

Hotei

Sorry wanted to post this, forgot it.

Green Dot, definitely cannot however receive international payment's. Their going to be zero to no good to actually withdraw onto, despite what I had hoped. Funny story, check out this thread of what happened to me lol.

When Withdrawal's Go Horribly Wrong. (Updated)

Here in "Deposit's and Withdrawals"

go to wall mart and get there green dot card they will send you one in the mail with your name on it and an online account so you can activate it MA does accept it i have been using mine for a year now

I use prepaid Visa cards too and depositing via the website always fails. But it works if I do it ingame. I dont know why but it never fails when I do it ingame.

You can try it.

go to wall mart and get there green dot card they will send you one in the mail with your name on it and an online account so you can activate it MA does accept it i have been using mine for a year now
what fun is a green dot if you have to get it in the mail and all that... easier/cheaper to just get a real credit card and pay off the balance monthly I'd think.

The main reason for prepay cards for me, even though they are pricey, is that anonoyminity that they provide if you have a spare couple of 20s in your wallet, etc. You can deposit quick and easy without your significant other asking you what the heck this international fee and charges to Mindark are on the monthly cc statements... For single people though, maybe green dot is an ok alternative.

well well well...

Well I guess I retract my previous comment. I tried to deposit today with visa/debit, and kept getting the transfer was declined by your card issuer :rolleye: pathetic. Whats going on with Debit atm?? Anyways will go and get me a Ukash Voucher & deposit that way :D.

Well I guess I retract my previous comment. I tried to deposit today with visa/debit, and kept getting the transfer was declined by your card issuer :rolleye: pathetic. Whats going on with Debit atm?? Anyways will go and get me a Ukash Voucher & deposit that way :D.

Check with the fraud department with your bank. My visa debit card is constantly being locked to check security which is really annoying not to mention downright embarressing when you can't pay a grocery bill as your card gets declined. EU is really bad for it as it's paying over the internet into a foreign country. I have to ring the fraud department at least once a month to unlock my card when I've used it online :rolleyes:

Didn't realise that I went past the daily withdrawal limit on my card & thought that was why it didnt let me depo, so I tried it again with a lower amount still didnt work :(. Went out and got me a Ukash Voucher in the end, worked more simply enough :) just wish I didn't have this kind of hassle in the first place :rolleyes:.

Back