Question to big spenders: HOW?

I am not sure, if the 400.000 US$ is too much... if he runs the whole company efficiently, he might safe more than 400.00$ a year, and then this might make sense... from my learnings, the CEO job can be damn interesting, and way too often, bad ppl are there... so if it's someone who really does a good job, the payment can be worth it.

Especially in a charity environment... but I lack the insight if he or someone else does his job right :D

I agree with you that some CEO's are worth the money but i do think that when you're a CEO of a non-profit "charity" organization some modesty would be in place. You're motive should be different, you shouldn't be making such figures fighting poverty... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocrisy

And that's why i don't give money to charity.... but spend it in EU! <-- back to the topic again :p

... I know for a fact the CEO of UNICEF makes more then 400.000$ a year. My advice is, stop donating to charity and deposit that monthly fee into something more usefull like EU.

I'll assume you are referring to Caryl Stern, of the US Fund for Unicef, and yup she makes about $420k PA.
For balance I'd just like to point out that she is generally considered rather effective at her job, is a role model for many, and could instantly double her salary by moving to the private sector...
Also the US Fund for Unicef has a program expense of 91.8% with an admin expense of only 2.5%... which by most large charity standards is really rather darn good!

I'll assume you are referring to Caryl Stern, of the US Fund for Unicef, and yup she makes about $420k PA.
For balance I'd just like to point out that she is generally considered rather effective at her job, is a role model for many, and could instantly double her salary by moving to the private sector...
Also the US Fund for Unicef has a program expense of 91.8% with an admin expense of only 2.5%... which by most large charity standards is really rather darn good!

Like i said, if you want to make such figures move to the private sector...

Interesting question, lots of interesting replies...

Honestly, I have no idea how much I have deposited over the 2.5ish years I have been playing, and really, I don't care.

The fact is, for me, EU is entertainment. If I happen to ever hit "the BIG one", then all the more entertainment for me. I don't drink, don't go to the bars, movies, rarely eat out, etc. While there are frequently lots of periods where I don't deposit, there are often periods where I will deposit several times per month.

Here's the math...

DON'T eat out at a nice restaurant once a week - savings of 60$US/week or 240$US/month
DON'T drink at home or the bars - savings of 40$-200$/week or 160$-800$/month
DON'T go to the movies once a week - savings of 15$/week or 60$/month

So, by not doing just these things, which I think I have minimized the savings, as I know many ppl spend, on average, way more than that for entertainment purposes.. I save anywhere from 460$-1100$/month.

The way I see it, I am saving money by depositing 200$ a month (give or take) - 2400$ a year, vs. 5500$-13200$ a year on other entertainment costs.

Gotta love that math, eh? ;)

Interesting question, lots of interesting replies...

Honestly, I have no idea how much I have deposited over the 2.5ish years I have been playing, and really, I don't care.

The fact is, for me, EU is entertainment. If I happen to ever hit "the BIG one", then all the more entertainment for me. I don't drink, don't go to the bars, movies, rarely eat out, etc. While there are frequently lots of periods where I don't deposit, there are often periods where I will deposit several times per month.

Here's the math...

DON'T eat out at a nice restaurant once a week - savings of 60$US/week or 240$US/month
DON'T drink at home or the bars - savings of 40$-200$/week or 160$-800$/month
DON'T go to the movies once a week - savings of 15$/week or 60$/month

So, by not doing just these things, which I think I have minimized the savings, as I know many ppl spend, on average, way more than that for entertainment purposes.. I save anywhere from 460$-1100$/month.

The way I see it, I am saving money by depositing 200$ a month (give or take) - 2400$ a year, vs. 5500$-13200$ a year on other entertainment costs.

Gotta love that math, eh? ;)

Very good point.

This is in fact how i play EU (although my figures are different the principle i use is very much similar).

The way I look at it I have a choice what i want to do with my money. I reallocate my time and effort in EU because ultimately I enjoy it more than other rl activities.

People have given the Why's on they deposit but you don't seem to get it. Each individual has a different interest for this universe so they deposit what they feel is necessary to enjoy the game on the the level at which they want to play.

It doesn't seem you're looking at this thread the right way or that you're trying to justify what you have spent or want to spend based on why others spend large sums of money in EU. You don't need to understand why people deposit. In the end they do it because they want to and can. It's as simple as that.

Well, I am not making a secret out of the "I don't get it part"... that's exactly the purpose I have with this thread. I try to understand it, despite it being so different from the worldview I have. I don't HAVE to understand it... but I want to :)

Well, I am not making a secret out of the "I don't get it part"... that's exactly the purpose I have with this thread. I try to understand it, despite it being so different from the worldview I have. I don't HAVE to understand it... but I want to :)

Then there isn't much to understand other than they want to do it and can afford to do it, so they do it.

You said you can afford to do it but you don't want to do of so you don't.

Simple logic :)

Then there isn't much to understand other than they want to do it and can afford to do it, so they do it.

Exactly. :)

How about:

I want a hummer, mercedes or BMW, I can affoard it, so I buy it, even though a base model Chevy would get me from point A to Point B.

You are happy with a low end chevy or ford car with no options and view hummers,mercedes, and BMW as excessive cost for transportation.

Seems pretty uncomplicated to me. :)

gl

Add in a yearly tax return for a few years if folks have nothing better to spend their taxes on (some might say EU is a safer investment then a bank if you do it right, at least as far as interest rates go sometimes), and there ya go.

. I don't HAVE to understand it... but I want to
EU is a game... a form of entertainment. Do you know anyone that buys video games for a wii, playstation, or xbox? How is money spent on those consoles and the games that go with them any different then money spent in game. Do you know anyone that spends money on DVDs (I have a sibling that used to raid Wal-Mart on certain days of the months the day new DVD shipments come in since they were cheaper the first day they were there)? Same thing... How about someone that buys brand name groceries instead of the cheap generic store brands? What brand name is on your computer? Why is it that way? What brand name is on your shoes? What designer labels are in your closet? There could be many cheaper alternatives. Perhaps your question of why others do this should be redirected to why your spending habbits IRL are as they are, and more importantly, how can you change some of that so you can put more money in game, etc. if that is your goal. Budgetting makes the REAL CASH ECONOMY both in game and IRL go round.

Sure some people can sell off their stuff in yard sells, pawn shops, etc., and sure some stocks can go up in value, but another stock market crash could be just around the corner too... and bluebook value of a vehicle purchased on the real world will never go up after you buy it... In game, the TT value of a vehicle you never drive won't go down due to depreciation (market value could go up or down, but that's different then TT value)

The TT machine does not exist in the real world. Make use of that knowledge. Just buy stuff at TT value, sell it for more, and see where that takes you. Trade your way to more value on pedcard instead of blowing it on gambling in the other main professions... It's not easy, but it is possible - and I think that answers another part of the why...

Last edited:

Following your logic, we can just close down every single faculty of psychology....

$1k really isnt much at all, $20 a week. how do people spend $10k modding a car? how about $5k for fishing? motorbike for riding at the weekend, what $5-10k? keeping a pony? going scuba diving? second/third holiday a year? getting a home movie setup? just a few hobbies where the cost can vary and go very high if you choose to. EU is just highend gaming.

No CEO is worth the money they make

have to comment on this to say.. :rolleyes: if they werent considered worth their salary, they wouldnt be paid that so much.

$1k really isnt much at all, $20 a week. how do people spend $10k modding a car? how about $5k for fishing? motorbike for riding at the weekend, what $5-10k? keeping a pony? going scuba diving? second/third holiday a year? getting a home movie setup? just a few hobbies where the cost can vary and go very high if you choose to. EU is just highend gaming.

have to comment on this to say.. :rolleyes: if they werent considered worth their salary, they wouldnt be paid that so much.

Hmm indeed. It's all relative.
@ OP....Understand that EU has a level of freedom of spending that other games do not.

Back