Marco said ....^^

Status

Cani Ostro

Stalker
Cani Monkey Ostro
This new forum game is supposed to gather all famous quotes from the man himself :)

Be nice and prove your quote with a source, since nobody is perfect :laugh:

Q&A from Mai 2008 found on: http://www.entropiaforum.ro/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=515

-Q:since marco is answering questions here today......how bout mine?
are we gonna get fishing?
i wann go fishing, and while yer at it how bout that shipment of beers?

M:Fishing is part of my todo-list. But it is too early to say any specifics.
Ah, Beer... no, I will behave. ,-) I see a future system in food and drinks, probably as a buff/booster system rather than a boring necessity system. We have to wait and see.

Well, fishing is not here unless you count shooting swimming mobs as that. And we had a mission with beer kind of involved. I rate that quote 4/10 close to what we have now.

And a particular funny one, note the grinding comment on missions:

-Q:Quests? kill 1000 argo and receive 10 ped bonus?

M:I hate that kind of grinding quests! Really. I'd like quests to be more in synch with the storyline and with a purpose and a history to it. A good example of a simple quest I like was the time when RDI issued requests for items to battle the robots and when it was over, by a joint effort of the brave colonists for weeks, it happend. The robots got kicked out and it became a turning point in Calypso's history. Something to remember.

The mechanics might have been weak at the time (a lot of hunting) but that is the kind of "quests" I'd like to see in the future. Purpose and history.

When I read that I almost pissed myself, because of laughing so hard, my face still hurts.

Boy, Marco must really hate the missions, I'd say. :evilking:

There will be more than a thousand SGA-exclusive items to be found. There will even be a few Modified FAP's SGA edition in the midst...

Was fun chasing that which did/would not drop again ,-)

================
http://www.playmmo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6099

6-a: Ventures into space will come in 2005. We hope to bring real time space ship combat with robot ships and other space living entities. Asteroid mining will also be a part of it. I envision a major star ship with a crew of 100 people all manning various functions of the ship, like engineering, guns, torpedos, strategic command, shields, power distribution, hull repairs, etc, allwoing for major epic battles in the sky.

This sounds pretty ambitious.
I like the part about real time space ship combat although it will probably be 6 years late or more. :tux: :tux:

i had a good one but my computer crashed :(
now to find it again and subscribe to this thread

Whenever really, you know.
I fully agree with you. I just put that one in there because it's a promise and what I'd consider a "famous quote"

famous quotes from the man himself
It'll be interesting to see if they keep the promise that the hopeful are looking forward to.

Marco said that no-loot will be removed.

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...lease-2010.6&p=2601618&viewfull=1#post2601618
Problems with the system seem to regularly get blamed on MA by FPC, when MA itself does not have direct community contact, unless you count support tickets that say they are being "forwarded to the appropriate department" with no further response...
We ignored it, because it's code and platform and hence something that only MindArk can do anything about. If MindArk fix it, it should be mentioned in the Platform Release Notes.

Ahh... the egg xD

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/.....-or...-not&p=2054229&highlight=#post2054229
Weather is something important. And I don't want it only as "window dressing" but as a gameplay element (maybe certain creatures only emerge during rain, for instance).

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...UIRED-now...&p=2020015&highlight=#post2020015
Really? Proof please. Else, please stop spreading rumors and lies.

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...ou-guys-rewl&p=2020008&highlight=#post2020008
I agree - you are the best online MMO-community there is. =)

Thanks Marco. You are the best Marco there is! :)

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...-shit-tip.-)&p=2020005&highlight=#post2020005
Night-time at Calypso should be more terrifying than daytime. We intend to release creatures that only operates at certain times during the day/night cycle, with nocturnal-only creatures.

And, of course, new tools to help out, like NV goggles, MF, lightsticks, etc.

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...Announcement&p=1995845&highlight=#post1995845
There will be more than a thousand SGA-exclusive items to be found. There will even be a few Modified FAP's SGA edition in the midst.

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...nst-the-EULA&p=1958520&highlight=#post1958520
Generally mob trains are allowed.

BUT, if the purpose is only to cause grief then it is not. Like "Haha, you loser, I steal all your mobs just to piss you off!" *insert Nelson "ha-ha"*

There is always a fine balance.

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...andgrab-2009&p=1913794&highlight=#post1913794
The reason is quite simple. Under my charge First Planet Company will interact much more with the community than in the past. The vision of the community can never be fullfilled without communication and understanding why things are like they are or why decisions where made the way they where. I am sure the community and FPC will clash on many occassions, but hopefully less than before, and when it does happen, the clashes will be understood even if they aren't agreed upon.

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...vities-Movie&p=1775708&highlight=#post1775708
I have fought myself through hordes of Argonauts, oceans of Rippersnappers, and an army of robots in order to bring this footage to you, the energetic Entropia community!

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...Content-List&p=1769207&highlight=#post1769207
Bertha needs to be re-educated.

sums up all the posts I could find. Any more additions to this thread will likely have to come from other sources unless you folks can dig deeper then I have...

Marco, and all of FPC, thank you for all you do. I'm sorry if any of this seems disrespectful. It's not intended to be that way.

Last edited:
Last edited:
With the Q & A delays, maybe it's time for a little bumpsy here. ;)

I don't know about you guys but to me some of today's posts from Hanne sounded a lot like Marco hijacked her forum account while she wasn't looking.
No offense Hanne...but...:dunno::scratch2:

I think Hanne as an old player knows our frustration but is bound my some kind of secret pact not to say anything. Things like next week big SDS update involving new vehicles, new missiona nd new terrain isnt inside information of any kind.

Why should a achievement system be so secretative ? Also Hanne knows that **** many time to bring bad news to a community on the verge of doing a protest action or chip all altogether and move.

On topic/

Marco said we all getting Unlimited Vtols ....

I think Hanne as an old player knows our frustration but is bound my some kind of secret pact not to say anything. .

The secret pact is called a "paycheck"

And if she wants to keep getting one from FPC so she will continue to let them direct her on what she is allowed to do and say...:wise:

Lots more interesting little Marco Quotes someone dug up over at
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?66126-Q-amp-A-Answers-(May-07)

There are certain items that have disappeared completely from the game, or are stuck on old avatars not active anymore. I think it’s a shame that those items will be lost in history (and in some cases, all we have is pictures to know they existed). Not only talking about equipment, but rare clothing-pieces. We all know clothing doesn’t drop anymore so getting it back seems rather hopeless unless you plan to do something about it.
Do MindArk in any way plan for these items to have their "return" on Calypso?
Submitted by Skam
We have no plans to return these items.

Does EVERY one in Entropia have the same programmed or instilled "luck"?
Submitted by jak
Of course everybody has the same installation there is no such thing as luck.

Post 42
As the balancing manager how do you determine when you can release more Land Areas/Asteroids/Space Stations/etc without severely impacting existing owners and their profit?
Submitted by Vap0r
Time, statistics, and a pre-planned release strategy.

Post 45
Will there be unlimited (!) melee amps, or improvement of melee generally?
Submitted by Alice
Yes to both.
Wow... no melee amps yet... and it's 2011 today... that's a promise from 4 years ago that was never realized!

Post 50
What is the effect of the new auction fees on the general market transaction balance?
Submitted by helena
No unnecessary transportation sales, no display entries in the auction, an overall growth of the use of the auction and finally a growth of the use of participant owned shops.
HUH?!? Have not seen a lot of growth in shop use yet...

Post 121
Rare Items/Ores and especially Blueprints in inactive accounts are a huge balancing problem, because they can be reactivated.
Limited Items avoid this problem.
But what will you do to balance the existing rare Blueprints (etc) in inactive accounts?
Submitted by schnups
The inactive accounts are eventually purged and the items go back to Entropia open market. All this is taken account for in the balancing.

Post 221
Will there be more shops available at places like Genesis, Omegaton, Sakura?
Submitted by Violet
To date, there are still a lot of empty spots where shops should be in Omegaton's Alpha, Beta, Gamma, and Espilon Buildings. The estate terminals in those locations did not even exist until sometime in the middle of 2010, and currently they throw a bug/internal error type of thing if you look at them with your avatar... which probably means they are not even in the estate broker's hands yet - may not even be in the database of estates that can be claimed yet?... However, this promise was from 2007, i.e. 4 years ago, and those shops still are not here, but an entire new continent was created with Medusa's Head...

Many other great quotes over there too...

Last edited:
Post 17
There are certain items that have disappeared completely from the game, or are stuck on old avatars not active anymore. I think it’s a shame that those items will be lost in history (and in some cases, all we have is pictures to know they existed). Not only talking about equipment, but rare clothing-pieces. We all know clothing doesn’t drop anymore so getting it back seems rather hopeless unless you plan to do something about it.
Do MindArk in any way plan for these items to have their "return" on Calypso?
Submitted by Skam

We have no plans to return these items.
Post 121
Rare Items/Ores and especially Blueprints in inactive accounts are a huge balancing problem, because they can be reactivated.
Limited Items avoid this problem.
But what will you do to balance the existing rare Blueprints (etc) in inactive accounts?
Submitted by schnups

The inactive accounts are eventually purged and the items go back to Entropia open market. All this is taken account for in the balancing.

Aren't those two the opposite?

Well, we know what is happening though: No single item is going back to the loot pool. Not from inactive accounts, not from mistakenly tted, not from lost on tiering.

Too pity they don't realize it is a MMO we play. And it lives from gear people want to loot and not to buy, lol. Don't believe me? Check my deposit balance from when I start and the last two years :). Not much in for you MA/FPC/SDS/WTF, sorry.

Aren't those two the opposite?

Yep... Notice that it was Skam, aka Hanne who asked one of those. Would be nice to get her take on this process now that she is "inside of the matrix" so to speak. There's a heck of a lot of estates in game that still have the estate broker as the "owner"... oops I mean the avatar that "maintains" the place, forgot that they took the word owner off of the deeds... many of which I suspect "are stuck on old avatars not active anymore."

Last edited:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...d=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com

Aug 22 2006,

Recently, the membership of e-pec.info had the unique opportunity of participating in a Question and Answer session with Marco Behrmann, Chief Information Officer at MindArk. What follows is the transcript of that discussion.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

e-pec.info: How are things in the land of MindArk and Entropia Universe?

Marco|MindArk: It is coming along nicely, thank you. Entropia is growing and is being recognized by more and more people and media, which is nice. We get media interviews and requests for conferences and as keynote speakers all the time nowadays.

e-pec.info: With your new position of Chief Information Officer, what are your primary responsibilities and how do you envision your role with the Entropia Universe Community changing, if at all?

Marco|MindArk: I have a supervising role as to what information is supplied to all external parties, like the media, PR, press releases, websites, forums, community feedback, etc. My main area is still in the community though, as I like the feedback and sense of belonging it brings, also the frustration and frenzy sometimes. It is like the real world in many senses, and I am much happier about there being passion rather than apathy. One thing that is very important to understand is that Entropia is like a journey. Some people will stay for the entire duration, some make a guest appearance and than fade out, all this creates a truly vibrant sensation few people outside the community can understand.

Today we are four or five people handling the external communication, not including our CEO and MindArk's founder Jan Welter Timkrans, and those are; Carl Uggla, CMO, David Simmonds, Business Development Manager, Hans Lundholm, AD and Frank Campbell, writer and events. So now, instead of doing all those jobs myself, I get more time to focus on the things I like to focus on – the community and relaying information and feedback to and from it and MindArk.

e-pec.info: What areas do you believe Entropia Universe needs to strengthen in order to compete with games such as Second Life, which also utilize a real world economy?

Marco|MindArk: Second Life is a great system and will attract a lot of people, but their (Linden Lab) vision is not ours. We will continue to enhance the elements that make Entropia Universe what it is and make those the best there is. Our vision is clear and has a very long-term commitment. Basically, we will stick to our plan. It would be a huge mistake to imitate others, as you will always end up being behind. We will add more activities, deepen the ones already in place and add more of an in world sense of history, celebrity, and being part of a new world. I would not be surprised if Omegaton, Genesis and Chikara become more active in their roles, as counterparts of the massive Imperial government. ,-)

e-pec.info: Is there any concern about speculation and the volatility of some markets within game?

Marco|MindArk: The market will always rise and fall and rise again. What is important to understand is that we need an economy that caters to every level in Entropia Universe. From the participants with a budget of a few PED's, to those with millions of PED's on their PED Cards. We also need to address some imbalances in the economy, like the lack of a BLP and Plasma Opalo counterpart. The mining system needs ways to expand the amount of ore and EnMatters available over time, the crafting system needs more options – maybe add-ons that reduce the time per attempt and the ability to automate some manufacturing. We have a lot of exciting ideas (actually, we have an Idea-file which has several thousand entries). Taming, Mindforce and Beauty need attention. New backbone systems in Entropia Universe like the new physics engine will go live shortly, which enables us to add vehicles. Who will own the first auto manufacturing plant? ,-).

e-pec.info: Many have been very excited about a certain craftable armor line for a very, very long time! Can Necromancer, Litch and Reaper Blueprints be looted and have the designs been completed?

Marco|MindArk: Yes, they can. They are however, very hard to obtain. All items can be obtained in Entropia Universe, even Imp Mk.II's and Mod FAPs.

e-pec.info: After the introduction of some new professions (Taming, Land Management, Carpentry), should we expect to see additional professions within the coming year? If so, what lines?

Marco|MindArk: Industrialists and bankers. Maybe politicians, we have to see.

e-pec.info: Is there discussion on adding functionality that would enable players to develop and deliver teaching resources to fellow players (ie. the ability to record and replay video, the ability for the students/ lecturer to post chunks of text to a shared area, the ability to post PDF's, etc)? And how about unique items and/or artwork?

Marco|MindArk: We are investigating it. The problem with it is twofold; one is copyright and infringements. Entropia Universe cannot be used as a platform for illegal delivery of such materials. The other is the security and integrity of the system. Entropia Universe is built from the ground up to be as secure as possible. To open the system up to dynamically allow for additions is a great risk. But we embrace the idea, we are just examining how to do it right.

e-pec.info: Apart from the ideas of co-ownership and lending, has there been discussion on the possibility of temporary jobs within the space flight industry? For instance, the ability for a hangar owner to list one or more people as co-pilots who may fly and maintain the ship in addition to the deed owner? Any other flight related updates planned?

Marco|MindArk: It is an idea that is being discussed as well. The economy of Entropia is designed around the concept of one owner of items, meaning we need a workaround in the suggested case.

e-pec.info: Due to large numbers of new participants, Eudoria is very populated and many low-end hunting grounds are no longer sufficient to sustain the population. Will there be development of new area's, larger spawns and/or new creatures featuring low-end mobs in the coming year?

Marco|MindArk: Yes. As said before, we need to cater to all levels of participation.

e-pec.info: Are there any upcoming tradeshows and/or other major marketing avenues that MindArk anticipates partaking in the near future?

Marco|MindArk: We are attending the Games Convention 2006 in Leipzig, Germany (it is like the European E3), where we will introduce our newest payment solution, Paysafecard. We are presenting in China with the East India ship "Götheborg", together with companies like Volvo and Ericsson, and high-level politicians and Swedish royalty. We will also deliver a keynote for a couple of hundred VIPs. And we have some very interesting meetings afterwards. A few days ago we were in Holland, at a festival. Earlier we were in Los Angeles, and so on and so forth. Next year I foresee MindArk and Entropia Universe going on a big tour around the world.

e-pec.info: Finally, from a personal perspective, what is the one thing that you are most excited to see come to fruition in the coming months?

Marco|MindArk: I really like the concept behind the factories and the ability to actually employ other people to work for you. It is really cool. There is no ETA on it yet though.

e-pec.info: Thank you for taking the time to do this. We all appreciate it very much.

Interview courtesy of e-pec.info. Please feel free to link directly to this article. However, we respectfully request that it not be duplicated on other websites.

I know it's an ancient one... but figure what the heck... since this "next chapter" is coming... it's good to see where ya been in the past...

Last edited:
Status
Back