Rate the Moderator JohnCapital

Status
Having met you IRL and being confused by what you were talking about then (this armor is good for this and that and blah, blah, blah). I think you are doing a swell job here of being clear and making good judgement calls.
Now for the next time we meet in Vegas, I only want to talk about drinking and blackjack, got it? ;)

never heard any complaints about you...

never had any of my posts moderated by you...

never had any problems with anything you have moderated...

if I have to express an opinion, you seem to be impartial, detached, objective and clear.

I suppose that is exactly what you need in a good moderator?

so, well done and hope you continue doing this thankless job...

and thank you for doing it!!!

"you must spread rep before giving to john again"

blablabla....

but i suppose that statement emphasizes the points i just made before?

WOW was I wrong

OK look I been putting off posting my opinion on this thread for 2 reasons.

1) My opinion for so long was so bad that regardless of what JC said about certain rules not applying to this thread. My opinion was so hateful and inflammatory that I knew that there was no way I was going to be able to voice this opinion without getting banned again that I just chose not to do it.

2) I really did want to see if what some others have told me may be true about JC. What I mean by this is that people have been telling me that yes JC was being bias towards me in the beginning against me but he was doing it for a good reason. If I would just stop and look at the situation from his prospective that I may see why he responded the way he did towards me and my wife.

I had to spend a lot of time thinking about reason number 2) and do a little soul searching of myself to understand what people were trying to say to me. What I have concluded pertaining to the situation that resulted in JC locking me and my wife's account is that JC was really just doing what he thought was best for the entire community even if the way he did go about it was wrong.

Since I have returned back to the forums me and JC has had several conversations in private chat and even though I tried causally to provoke him into turning into a Asshole, he maintained his composure and even went above what I would consider his responsibilities to assist me in several situations.

JC I would like to give you a personal apology for any extra work, extra grief and even for purposely trying to slander your name on many occasions.

You do a fantastic job Bro and I couldn't do a better job myself no matter how hard I tried. You truly are a great asset to this community.

P.S. Dont tell my wife I made this post, she still pretty upset with him :/

I have only had one issue with you recently and i think you know what that is. I don't think you even knew the whole situation at least you didn't present it entirely until I pointed something out. Sometimes i think you put too much opinion into your moderation. other than that i have no issue with the work you do.

kosmos

Keep up the good work John :)

JC I`ve only heard good things about you in the past. I`m sure that factored in to your becoming a mod as well. I think you`ve done a great job having been on staff at forums in the past myself. It`s low(no) pay, thankless and a big job. And to take in all in stride in the best interests of the community while keeping ones composure is no small task. I`ve seen you in action here and on the old EF and I can only approve. Keep up the great work!

Recently your moderation seems more focused on making your own life easier rather than upholding the rules of the forum. I say this not directly in reaction to the issue we discussed earlier today, but that certainly is an example of it. You've been doing this for some time (possibly related to RJ not being active on the forum any more, leaving you as the only moderator, which I realise makes things more difficult).

If you delete or close a thread because you think it might cause trouble later, rather than because it breaks the rules, that is poor moderation. Similarly if a thread or post breaks the rules but is not considered 'difficult', you are failing to uphold the rules in favour of your own comfort if you don't lock/delete it.

Probably this comes down to motivation. I'm not convinced you really want to be a moderator any more. As I said above, I think this is largely related to your current position as the only regular moderator, so really I think it's more like you don't want to be the only moderator any more.

Obvious solution - get more mods.

Yes, there have been cases where I've been proactive, rather than reactive.

And as for the obvious solution, we....

Well, you'll see.

Obvious solution - get more mods.
Isn't there some one that SDS is paying to be a community manager that has mod rights here? When was the last time Hanne posted or moderated on here in some thread that was not related directly to announcing a version update or upcoming release? Still don't see much activity from here or anyone at SDS on the Calypso facebook page either... but hey, if that silence gets more bugs fixed faster, let the silence continue! :)

Since you disproved so much about my removing your thread, Oleg, I have reinstalled it.

I simply hope it doesn't turn out like I expect.

Reactions: EMW
I have held off on responding to this thread... erm because i never saw it before i dont think! JC R a good guy, especially when hes got a big fap in his hand at events! :yay:

Well, you'll see.

Interesting, sounds promising :)

Since you disproved so much about my removing your thread, Oleg, I have reinstalled it.

I simply hope it doesn't turn out like I expect.

Also interesting... actually I'm thinking about locking it myself :D

Interesting, sounds promising :)

and hahahahhha Oleg! :laugh:

*Insert confused Scooby sound here*?

Then wtf did you have a problem with?

*Insert confused Scooby sound here*?

Then wtf did you have a problem with?

Doing it by my own will and having it done for me are two different things :)

unprofessional

added: more moderators would maybe allow him to be more professional vs mass of work needed

Last edited:
I think you have done a shit job for allowing Black Hawk to continue using this forum!

Please ban him.

Personally, based on your posts in the forum, i like you.

I've not much experience with unmoderated forums.... so dont' know how chaotic it'd be without a good moderator.
But, in EF and now in PCF, I think things are organized and nicely structured.... so I think you are doing an excellent job.

Personally i don't like ppl get banned (except few rare circumstances) and posts deleted.
So in these regards I think you might be over doing it (banning and deletion).

I could be wrong, and what you are doing might be the right thing to do to avert chaos. I dont' know. I don't have any evidence in favor of it or against it.

I know in the past probably you've banned me (2 or 3 times).... deleted my posts. and gave me (-) rep. All started with a silly coment by myself. But I can assure you those things have nothing to do with my opinion regarding banning and deletion....I really feel sad when I see someone gets banned...even if that person posts against my opinion or do name calling.

I just feel it's wrong.

Other than that I"m happy with you... especially your honesty, and the ability to accept your mistakes
....... keep up the good work :)

EDIT:
I think you have done a shit job for allowing Black Hawk to continue using this forum!

Please ban him.

What an irony! I saw the post after i've posted mine......we are 99.9 % similar and yet we are so different...

Differeing opinions and ideas are so essential for improvent.......so, although i differ from your opinion.... your opinion is still appreciated!

Last edited:
The main problem i have is that a official pp forum such as this should not allow theoretical conspiracy theories about their competitors to live and breed on their website sites/forums. Technically the facilitation and aiding of such activities by allowing them to occur without moderation of some sort, especially when it concerns your competitors, and via your own channels, could most certainly be classed as a form of corporate sabotage !? Would you not agree ?

In addition to this, conspiracy theories such as the ones we see on here daily have a habit of affecting much larger numbers of users and thus are much more damaging to EU than simple name calling threads.

I am all for ppl having the right to discuss this sort of things, but not on a official pp forum about your competitors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lee
The main problem i have is that a official pp forum such as this should not allow theoretical conspiracy theories about their competitors to live and breed on their website sites/forums. Technically the facilitation and aiding of such activities by allowing them to occur without moderation of some sort, especially when it concerns your competitors, and via your own channels, could most certainly be classed as aiding in a form of corporate sabotage !?

In addition to this, conspiracy theories such as the ones we see on here daily have a habit of affecting much larger numbers of users and thus are much more damaging to EU than simple name calling threads.

I'd have to agree, its also as annoying to read all the time...

I'd have to agree, its also as annoying to read all the time...

i agree with this, though the problem is there is no central entropia generic forum that is bias free.

so people feel that this is still entropiaforum.com, and as such talk about everything here.

entropiaplanets could be the new generic forum, but people dont like change, and are not willing to move forums for information and want it all centralized and they picked pcf for this.

you get 10/10 on the fluffybunny scale well done

i agree with this, though the problem is there is no central entropia generic forum that is bias free.

so people feel that this is still entropiaforum.com, and as such talk about everything here.

entropiaplanets could be the new generic forum, but people dont like change, and are not willing to move forums for information and want it all centralized and they picked pcf for this.

Yeap this is so true!
I thought to myself a lot of times, where do I go to post about suggestions that I know are platform related and not planet related... Will the get enough attention here?

I think you've done a good job John Capital, you've used light touch moderation for the most part, in most cases I've noticed giving several warnings before a poster 'having a week off'.

Even if you disagree remember:

Better the devil you know, than the devil you dont!

Well, you'll see.

Would that solution be adding more moderators?

This forum has always needed more mods so the ONE moderator that actually mods here won't get burnt out.

JimmyB was in the same situation at EF forum (The One Mod), he and JC are some of the best mods I've encountered, Jimmy after putting in massive time I'm sure moderating on EF now pops in every once in a while but this forum needs at a minumum 4 active mods.

One mod should be concentrated on the trading forum which abounds with bs in people's sales threads. You might as well remove the rules from the trading forum completely the way it is now since they are not followed - this encourages people to break rules in other parts of the forum as well IMO.

Thanks JC and retroactively thank you JimmyB.

I have been on this forum for years and I think overall the mods are doing a great job. It is a thankless job that you do just because you want to and I appreciate people that try to keep order. :thumbup:

Status
Back