FYI: Sleipnirs have working headlights!

Audrey Cheery Cheerful
Maybe most of you knew but I didn't. Yesterday I found out that I can turn on the headlights of my Sleipnir. If you sit in the pilot seat and press the key for vehicle lights you only turn on the small blinking red lights on the sides. However, if you sit in the passenger seat and press that key, you can turn on some headlights. You can't see light beams like you have with the Valkyrie but the terrain infront of the Sleipnir gets illuminated. In order to turn on all the lights board your Sleipnir, change to passenger seat, turn on the lights, change back to the pilot seat and press the key again. I hope I wasn't the only one not knowing this.

:ahh:

Update for VU 11.5.0

The working headlight are no more. Since VU 11.5.0 both pilot and copilot can toggle only positional lights. They consist of the small blinking red lights at the sides we know from earlier VUs and a new white light under the cockpit. The white light does not illuminate the ground as did the old headlights before. :(

Last edited:
I for one certainly didn't know that :)

+rep

Didnt know VTOL had light, thanks. :)

Now I have to concentrate hard and imagine the logic of MA, why they decided that only the passenger could switch on the main lights (as Im sure its a design feature). :p

Hey, the backseater has to be able to do something! LOL

Ok seriously, that kind of funky.

Maybe the logic at work here is:

Pilot seat: Ability to turn on navigational marker lights.
Passenger/Observer/(Weapons Systems Operator, damnit!!!): Ability to operate illumination lights. (The better to see you with, my dear... *BOOM!* Buwaahaahaaa!)

If you fly by yourself, you can move to next seat and turn them on. But you have to be fast, when u leave front seat the Sleipnir will fall hard! (I found this out by accident :) )

VTOLs have lights :scratch2::scratch2:
Cool, thanks for Info :laugh:

I didn't know, thanks for the info!! Must spread rep, blah, blah, blah....

News to me. Thanks for the info. +rep

Thanks for all the rep, people! :yay:

As to the question if the lights make the vehicle consume more energy: In the real world they would but in EU that would have to be evaluated. However, I can't imagine that they would. MA wouldn't go *that* far, now would they? :laugh:

Tried this trick but no result:scratch2: But it was daylight so i'll try it again at night :)

Tried this trick but no result:scratch2: But it was daylight so i'll try it again at night :)

At day you can see the effect only very faintly in dark shadows. At night it's clearly visible but you have to be near the ground.

If you fly by yourself, you can move to next seat and turn them on. But you have to be fast, when u leave front seat the Sleipnir will fall hard! (I found this out by accident :) )

Or you can turn them on when you are on the ground :)

I don't believe the headlights stay on for very long after you leave the passenger seat. Maybe cuz I only run on "High" gfx though instead of "Very High"?

Oh and MindArk (if you're reading) or FPC (if you're reading and could relay the message) I would like some enhancements made to the lighting system. I'd like a Long Range beam instead of the short range headlights, and I'd like the passenger to be able to move it around (Like the spotlights on police choppers). Thanks.

Menace

Heh technicly the pilot SHOULD be top seat like any other two seat aircraft. Gunner /navigator/ECM/coms usually all ride front seat. Hence the bar covering the view someone working all that in craf gear does not need maximum viewing.

I'd like a Long Range beam instead of the short range headlights, and I'd like the passenger to be able to move it around (Like the spotlights on police choppers). Thanks.
Menace

That would be awesome! We could chase noobs in the night and shout at them to "drop that Opalo and lie on the ground"! :laugh:

I made an update for the new VU in the OP. Sadly the headlights that illuminate the ground are no more. :(

Strange. I tried turning them on and there is illumination glow on the belly of the VTOL. Maybe they changed the angle they point?

Strange. I tried turning them on and there is illumination glow on the belly of the VTOL. Maybe they changed the angle they point?

I tried that at night and didn't see any illumination of the ground. Unless the lights point up I don't think they work as real lights anymore and only as positional lights.

Back