Name that Asteroid and win 5000 peds!!!

Status
Oh yay another greek name....congratz.

......I guess it's original with foma in front of it.

...actually, Fortuna is from the Roman mythos. She was borrowed, but renamed... same as almost all the Roman pantheon.

pesok can i ask who won the 5k prize? cause doesnt seem to say on the 2nd post... maybe a few ppl winning odd low amounts maybe not even 500peds.. :(.

It makes me think:

FOR MA FORTUNA

FORTUNE FOR MA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Haha :lolup:

who won the peds?

still no idea

Anyway, what is the meaning of foma ? or its random nonsense ? Anyway i believe the old name will remain, its like planet calypso made from entropia, for me it always will be "entropia", cuz the meaning of word entropia is great for this game, it says the main thing how everyting is working and going on here =)

*Fortuna - ( happiness in latin )

*Calypstone

From Page 93.

Damn it. Didn't know anyone before me typed that word. I went to google to check out some Latin words and found Fortuna interesting.

:/

F.O.M.A-FORTUNA, I like the concept but had someone ask me where "For Tuna" was. I got a little chuckle outta that.

First two posts are update with winner list and info

Congrats. (too short)

OMG!!
i actually am rewarded with peds :yay: :wtg:
omg, yeeehaaa :hammer:
this really was fun and a bit thrilling since i saw my name on the winners list. :eyecrazy:
hope u all enjoyed it like i did and gratz to all the other winner

Last edited:
Here is the promised thread on naming the Asteroid (CND). First of all i get a lot of requests on leaving the name as it is now. Unfortunately due to NeverDie being a trademarked and copyrighted name of John NeverDie Jacobs i cannot use it or any portion of the term NeverDie (including abbreviation ND). Now that we got that out of the way - i need a new name. I decided the best way to get players motivated and perhaps even excited about the new Asteroid and all the upcoming changes/improvements- is to let you pick the name. The rules are quite simple:

Top Prize of 5000 peds(1) + the fame of giving a name to the greatest place in any Virtual Universe! will go to anyone whose name idea I end up picking as the new name for the Asteroid. Name will have to be used in its entirety and unmodified - just as you post below in this thread.

Runner Up prize of 100 to 4000 peds(could be several if top prize goes unclaimed) will go to anyone if i end up using any portion of the suggested name (not including regular words like asteroid, of, federation, paradise and so on - but unique/interesting combinations of them will be considered)-amount will be picked by me depending on how much of your idea i have used in the creation of the final name for the Asteroid and how excited i am about it at the moment.

Perfect name ideally would summarize the "why Asteroid is such a great place" idea and would have to be Unique sounding and inviting!

The names i have came up with so far (in the period of 6 month while negotiating the "deal") if you like any of them or au contraire think they are stupid - all comments are appreciated and i promise my feelings will not get hurt :) :

Abbreviation of F.o.M.A. which could stand for(feel free to suggest your own):
1) First Online Multiplayer Asteroid
2) Federation of Multidome Alliances
3) or variation of above two such as Federated Online MultiDome Alliance

4) Black(or Raw) Diamond Planet(or Asteroid)
5) United Biodome Planet(or Federation)
6) Miners Paradise Union
7) Utopia
8) New Earth Federation
9) New World Order Planet(or Federation)
10) VIP Space Resort
11) Utopian Federation
12) The Rock - unless its copyrighted by WWE or warner brothers
13) United Biodomes of Utopia
14) variation of any of the above

And yes - i like federation/federated - mostly because it sounds grand

UPDATE 12/17/2010
New Name has been chosen, thank you for all contributions(wish i could have few names but only needed 1) -see the list of winners in the post below.
Please +rep if you liked this event, if i get enough of reps i will sponsor more free events in the future!

F.O.M.A. - Fortuna
Federated Orbital Multidome Asteroid (is official-but feel free to make ur own:) - Fortuna(mythology goddess of fortune)
What, nothing for Sherwood Flu Fortuna - the guy you named the place after?
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/member.php?2334-sherwood

;)

1st place winner - RL Friend for casually blabbing out a name that became a final name--- New Sony(i7) Laptop(wouldn't take the money), thank you Adeli!

Sorry to be the the one to say this, Foma, but:

Your friend was quite right to refuse the money. This should all have gone to PCF members as promised.

Maybe you don't have time to follow this forum but there's been a lot of bad feeling recently over people organising spurious competitions in which the prizes went to friends or second avas of the organisers.

OK, so , in this case you weren't asking for sponsorship. It was all your own PED to dispose as you wished. But it's not gonna engender much good feeling and trust when it mostly goes to an unverifiable RL recipient. And a friend of yours at that. Bad mistake, IMO. I hope you'll reconsider and dig deeper into your pockets to distribute 5,000 PED amongst the named PCF prizewinners.

jay

Your friend was quite right to refuse the money. This should all have gone to PCF members as promised.

Maybe you don't have time to follow this forum but there's been a lot of bad feeling recently over people organising spurious competitions in which the prizes went to friends or second avas of the organisers.

OK, so , in this case you weren't asking for sponsorship. It was all your own PED to dispose as you wished. But it's not gonna engender much good feeling and trust when it mostly goes to an unverifiable RL recipient. And a friend of yours at that. Bad mistake, IMO. I hope you'll reconsider and dig deeper into your pockets to distribute 5,000 PED amongst the named PCF prizewinners.

jay

Very well said! :wise:

I have to sort of agree with Jaywalker. Although I think you are allowed to reward whoever you feel like gave the best name, I think alot of us would be more comfortable if your friend at least joined this forum(preferably the game aswell). I know most of my suggestions really sucked(although I really did like Asguard) so I am not retalitating because I didn't "win". I'm really just brain storming here on how to please everyone. :)

wow....really, lol ive been looking at this thread for awhile and have been waiting to see who won the peds and he decides not to hand out the 5000 ped lol wow, great new land owner:scratch2: building up the trust so soon lmao i agree 100% with jaywalker very disappointing.

jay

Now why would you give me -rep for the event that i organised and payed over 7k total peds out of my pocket for? I am sorry you didnt win but there were around 200pages of posts and most of people didnt win either you know. I clearly stated in the rules from the very beginning that i will only give out 1st prize to someone whose idea i use entirely. Noone from this forum has come up with an idea that i have used(do you really think i didnt use someone's name to save 5k peds on one time chance of renaming 3.35M ped asteroid?) and yet i decided to give out free peds to people that i thought put in time and effort to think for at least a minute instead of repeating others. People like you is exactly the reason LA owners dont do events payed for out of their own pockets and use Taxes to pay out any prizes. I have not received a pec from anyone for this event and thought i would do something fun for the community

Reactions: -Ra
2nd post updated with 1st location you can collect your rewards in!

Now why would you give me -rep for the event that i organised and payed over 7k total peds out of my pocket for? I am sorry you didnt win but there were around 200pages of posts and most of people didnt win either you know. I clearly stated in the rules from the very beginning that i will only give out 1st prize to someone whose idea i use entirely. Noone from this forum has come up with an idea that i have used(do you really think i didnt use someone's name to save 5k peds on one time chance of renaming 3.35M ped asteroid?) and yet i decided to give out free peds to people that i thought put in time and effort to think for at least a minute instead of repeating others. People like you is exactly the reason LA owners dont do events payed for out of their own pockets and use Taxes to pay out any prizes. I have not received a pec from anyone for this event and thought i would do something fun for the community

I think the reason you are getting complaints is this; you posted a 5,000 PED comp. That is a lot of money to some people. More than most events. So there was some building up of hope there, that the right entry could pay a few bills. It might have seemed too good to be true; naming the place after a private comment from a friend means it was, and might put people off entering other events. Why enter if none of the entries are picked, and no-one following the rules can win? It's nice you gave out a few bucks to the 'runner's up' but if you had no intention of using only the competition entries then the competition itself is flawed. 'Fun for the community' is not seeing a comp that promised 5,000 ped become effectively null and void. To commit yourself to using one of the names suggested would have been the only way to run it fairly, and as you were not prepared to do that (for obvious reasons, admittedly) then you shouldn't have dangled a 5,000 ped carrot. A 'possible' prize of any amount is hugely different from a 'prize'.

I do wish you well in F.F., and applaud your willingness to bond with the community. This comp was not the best way to do it.

Hurrikane

The only POSSIBLE valid complaint anyone could have is that some of the runner up prizes were less than 100 PED. The topic post clearly states that the top prize may go unclaimed; this is essentially what happened. The top prize was unclaimed by the PCF folks who actually entered the contest, so Foma awarded multiple runner up prizes. I don't think Foma EVER intended to give the impression, "well there was a top prize winner but you can't see him so I'm not giving out PED, ha!" There was no top prize winner, the runner up prizes were calculated, then at the last minute, Foma decided to give a shout out to his real life friend by crowning him the "winner."

The only POSSIBLE valid complaint anyone could have is that some of the runner up prizes were less than 100 PED. The topic post clearly states that the top prize may go unclaimed; this is essentially what happened. The top prize was unclaimed by the PCF folks who actually entered the contest, so Foma awarded multiple runner up prizes. I don't think Foma EVER intended to give the impression, "well there was a top prize winner but you can't see him so I'm not giving out PED, ha!" There was no top prize winner, the runner up prizes were calculated, then at the last minute, Foma decided to give a shout out to his real life friend by crowning him the "winner."

The post may clearly state that the top prize may go unclaimed, but a comp that offers 5000 ped should give one of the entrants 5000 ped. I don't think anything underhand happened. I only say this as someone who's had his share of complaints about events not resulting in what was offered.

Hurrikane

Status
Back