Name that Asteroid and win 5000 peds!!!

Status
10) please no PM's/Ingame chats(unless you not contending for a prize) - post all your ideas here - otherwise can be hard to determine the winner.

Rule 10 seems to be the one in question but as you can see it does not say you can not receive a prize. Just that it would be hard to determine the winner. Thus any entry not on this thread was at risk of not receiving a prize but not ineligible.

Rule 10 also states "post all your ideas here". Now tell me which part of those words do you not understand?

the bit after that which states , "otherwise can be hard to determine the winner." is an explanation for why he wants to have it as : "post all your ideas here".

Using the explanation to justify no rule was broken is just retarded! Rule 10 was clearly broken it's there written in black and white if you can't see it please just show me a brick wall i will have to bang my head against it and then the brick wall will explain to you more clearly perhaps :)

Well there we have it, a player did win.
Can we stop this pointless thread now?

Corey, you got banned for stirring things up with your contributions to Dalas' thread on this issue. is it asking too much of you to leave this thread alone?

You clearly haven't noticed, but some people still have reaonable doubt about that question. And it's the wrong question in any case. The right question is: did the "winner" post their idea on this thread, as required? Answer : No. Another pertinent question is: why does Foma persist in editing the OP and 2nd post, in such a way as to cause further quarrels ?(eg his "IRL friend" suddenly became an EU player instead, ovenight. And rules 1-10 were deleted overnight, which confounds people who might otherwise support their case by quoting him)

jay :)

Rule 10 seems to be the one in question but as you can see it does not say you can not receive a prize. Just that it would be hard to determine the winner. Thus any entry not on this thread was at risk of not receiving a prize but not ineligible.

Rule 10 states "unless you not contending for a prize" - that is "you can not receive a prize".

And yes, it's me - not switching sides thoughtlessly here - but rule #10 did not apply to someone who has no access to EU/PCF, and therefore could never compete. Adeli plays EU (which was unknown, at least not known to me, up to now), which means rule #10 does apply and has been broken.

However, noone else posted the exact name, so the changes we are facing here only affect the handing out of the first prize, and none of the "runner up prizes".

Okay fine, bash Pesok all you want. Jaywalker, that thread was also locked for being a personal dispute, the same point I was trying to get across. To his credit Dalas did decide to take the issue up with Pesok privately.
You guys want to destroy the community then go ahead. I'm done defending people from mob attacks.

Okay fine, bash Pesok all you want. Jaywalker, that thread was also locked for being a personal dispute, the same point I was trying to get across. To his credit Dalas did decide to take the issue up with Pesok privately.
You guys want to destroy the community then go ahead. I'm done defending people from mob attacks.

if your "defending" the community then i'm the queen of england!

Well there we have it, a player did win.
Can we stop this pointless thread now?

allthough rules were still broken

No they where not.

Yes... they were.

Obviously, you seem to have missed the part where the rules clearly state that you have to post in this thread.

Maybe you could take a couple minutes to read them yourself?!?

See? They are right here:

flashing_down_arrow.gif

The rules are quite simple:

Top Prize of 5000 peds(1) + the fame of giving a name to the greatest place in any Virtual Universe! will go to anyone whose name idea I end up picking as the new name for the Asteroid. Name will have to be used in its entirety and unmodified - just as you post below in this thread.

Rule 10 states "unless you not contending for a prize" - that is "you can not receive a prize".

And yes, it's me - not switching sides thoughtlessly here - but rule #10 did not apply to someone who has no access to EU/PCF, and therefore could never compete. Adeli plays EU (which was unknown, at least not known to me, up to now), which means rule #10 does apply and has been broken.

Well, it's entirely understable that you didn't know that, Wizzszz. Neither did anybody else. Here's Foma's original announcement:
1st place winner - RL Friend for casually blabbing out a name that became a final name--- New Sony(i7) Laptop(wouldn't take the money), thank you Adeli!

This has very recently been edited. Presumably Foma noticed that people objected to an RL friend winning, so decided to take that out and insert the text that now stands. The original said nothing whatsoever about Adeli being an EU player.

it beats me why you think that really changes things, but i'm not inclined to argue with you about it! We seem to have reached the same conclusion anyway

However, noone else posted the exact name, so the changes we are facing here only affect the handing out of the first prize, and none of the "runner up prizes".
Yep, well, it's pure speculation as to how it would affect runners up, ofc. Since Foma's rules didn't really commit him to handing out 4000 PEd or more to runners-up, in the event that nobody won First Prize, and only gave that impression, nobody can say for sure if it did or didn't affect the runners-up. Most people assume it does affect them; a reasonable assumption IMO given that Foma calls this
the event that i organised and payed over 7k total peds out of my pocket for

Well, maybe he wouldn't like to have to modify that statement to "the event that i organised and payed over 1.5k total peds out of my pocket for "? But if he had originally put it that way, I'm pretty sure that there would not be the same complaints you see now. People might have shaken their heads and thought he was pretty tight, but nobody could accuse him of dishonesty, or of breaking his own rules. People have been guessing that he wouldn't want to look that tight, but really, at this juncture, I'm thinking: well, he doesn't mind us thinking he's devious (or he wouldn't go on editing like that) so you might be right, after all.

Just adding the above for the record. It's not really worth arguing that point. The main point is that "First Prize winner" did not actually enter the competion, so didn't qualify for a prize. If he wanted to syphon off most of the money he'd put aside for prizes and use it to buy a present for his friend instead: well, fine, he was free to do that. But to call that present "First Prize in a PCF competition"....well, that's what's really getting people's backs up.

Oh! It's worth adding that "Adeli" cerrainly did have access to PCF, as this announcement shows
Since the 1st place winner doesnt have an account in Forums i decided to increase the prize money allocated for this event and award 2nd prize among posters here that somehow guided me and apparently her in picking the final name!
(original version as it stood before recent edits. Bolding is my own)
"Adeli's" post here also speaks of following this thread.

What Foma is obviously saying here (and this is supported by Adeli's post) is that "Adeli" went through all the suggestions on this thread, picked out the word "Fortuna" and put it together with Foma's own suggestion "F.O.M.A" to arrive at the final name.

this is the same old story I keep seeing in my very own line of work:

Person A says one thing;
Person B understands a different thing;
Everybody and their dog has an opinion amounting to a different thing;

In the end, nobody is happy because Person A failed to make a good contract (even if the contract was really only with himself).

Long story short: In my opinion, everyone here is both right and wrong, because the rules (that are unenforceable) were poorly communicated.

Foma, If you are still reading all of this, take it from me: Any agreement you enter (even if {actually, especially if} you think it is amongst friends and they will be easily won over/cooperative), make sure the rules are clear and easy to understand. Sometime, less is more.

If your one and only rule was: " I will give 5000 PED to the first person to give the exact name that I choose. " This thread and the other would not have as many posts.

The fact that the prize would almost certainly never be paid under that rule is of no consequence.

2nd post updated - c u there.
As most winners have collected the prizes this will be the last meeting place for this event prize distribution. All further prize collections can be handled by setting up time/place where we can meet(contact via PM here or ingame). Please keep in mind that i am still quite limited on the times i can login(still recovering from previous series of surgeries and getting ready for (hopefully) my last 2 major surgeries) but will try to work with you to make sure all prizes are distributed. There is no expiration date for claiming your prize-so you can claim it 5 years from now if you are unable to come online in the near future.

2nd post updated - c u there.
As most winners have collected the prizes this will be the last meeting place for this event prize distribution. All further prize collections can be handled by setting up time/place where we can meet(contact via PM here or ingame). Please keep in mind that i am still quite limited on the times i can login(still recovering from previous series of surgeries and getting ready for (hopefully) my last 2 major surgeries) but will try to work with you to make sure all prizes are distributed. There is no expiration date for claiming your prize-so you can claim it 5 years from now if you are unable to come online in the near future.

Hi mate... thanks for liking my name and assigning a prize amount to me. I am happy for you to give my 30 PED to a NooB or some one that needs it or one of the other winners who had a close miss... it's upto you entirely...as I am very unsure about my log-in times ATM and dont want to keep you hanging.

Thanks again... Good Luck!

OK as someone who has had his fair share of shit in my 4 years or so in this crazy place we dont call life, but in actual fact kinda is....

I have bumped into foma tonite, and although i will not go into the specifics of the conversation, I am prepared to say that sometimes, especially with forum, pack, sheep, mob..(call it what you will) mentality! of which I have been equally guilty at times of in real life and in my EMW life, accept that I was wrong or at the very least couldnt prove anything said in this thread and fully accept that if the forum mob decides to hone in on ya, youre foooked!

In short, I will not boycott my beloved dasps any longer!! :silly2::yup:

ps he isnt buying me a new laptop FFS!!! (if your profits go up from here on you better fucking had tho!! ok lets settle on a crate of vodka then)

EMW(knobjockey extrordinaire)

Last edited:
Status
Back