World's longest thread

Ah lol, fair enough :D

Which part are you in? It was nice waking up here with the recent snow, but I live in a weird micro-climate just north of Inverness so our portion of the stuff melted quicker than in most areas :(

Etopia said:
spider are easyer IRL :D

LOL
but yet are some venomous ...

EDIT: hey ... stop that !!! i always wanted a castle in scotland

Miller said:
Ah lol, fair enough :D

Which part are you in? It was nice waking up here with the recent snow, but I live in a weird micro-climate just north of Inverness so our portion of the stuff melted quicker than in most areas :(

Hehe.. I live in Ayrshire on the coast, so our snow melted pretty much an hour after if fell *cries* :( ... never even got the chance to build a snow trox :D

ultimababe said:
Hehe.. I live in Ayrshire on the coast, so our snow melted pretty much an hour after if fell *cries* :( ... never even got the chance to build a snow trox :D

I feel your pain :(

Probably not a good idea for me to tell you then ours was around for over a week, with continued sledging and snow-fun in general then. Oh, wait.. :silly2:

Geez, a snow trox - what a great idea that would have been :D Though, I'm a complete numpty when it comes to building snowmen or anything similar, so if I had have attempted a snow trox it would probably have looked more like snow pile-of-dung :dunce:

Miller said:
Geez, a snow trox - what a great idea that would have been :D Though, I'm a complete numpty when it comes to building snowmen or anything similar, so if I had have attempted a snow trox it would probably have looked more like snow pile-of-dung :dunce:

:rofl: nice

It's still pretty much winter in a lot of places I think... so who is going to build the first EF Snow Trox? :D

Spiders are easier IRL. I had to use a short board and a long board ( dunno if Midas or Firn ) to kill one while I was sitting on the throne. :cool:

They had sucky loots both, only some growth molecules and alien acid.

Tzest0s said:
LOL
but yet are some venomous ...

EDIT: hey ... stop that !!! i always wanted a castle in scotland

Lol who doesnt :D

I dont live in a castle, but on the plus side with a house like this I can pretend I do at least :laugh:

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

Miller said:
Lol who doesnt :D

I dont live in a castle, but on the plus side with a house like this I can pretend I do at least :laugh:

nice !! Man , i'm moving there ... save me a room

Tzest0s said:
nice !! Man , i'm moving there ... save me a room

Yeah np, there are five bedrooms :silly2:

awesome looking house Miller :cool:

oh and on the snow issue... well I thought the winter should be over here in sweden soon but as many of you guys living here might know ( unless you're locked to your computer screens 24/7 ) it just doesn't want to end.
been working in a cycle and sports store for some weeks now and we are doing cross country skies during the winter times and it was loads for the "Wasa Loppet" but even more surprising is that we still are selling loads and loads of skies. And it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't that that we do all the preparation ( "vallning", balancing, mesuring etc ) for them so the customer just can take it out skiing when they get them...

I really hope it's over soon so we can get back to the bikes :rolleyes:

oh another thing... anyone now if there are any ways to set up a external hardrive ( USB 2.0 ) to boot from it so I don't have to use up all the space on the family computer for all my stuff? as it is now I just have it plugged in all the time and try to keep most on it and just the few things I use often I keep on the family one.

Cosy house there Miller :)

Aye very cosy :)

I'll bet it's really nice when it's deep in snow.. be like a picture postcard :cool:

i hope it has a cellar full of scotch ... would be normal in scotchland :)

Tzest0s said:
i hope it has a cellar full of scotch ... would be normal in scotchland :)

We dont have a cellar as such, but we do have a walk in store room, full of beer and wine ;)

ultimababe - it is like a picture postcard when it snows and is sunny. Unfortunately I couldn't find a decent picture in a hurry, but here's the house during snowfall. It was *so* dark from the cloud cover it was crazy...

It's much more picturesque in the snow when the sun's out, though - as this shot of the garden kind of demonstrates

Why I didn't turn the camera around and snap the house at the same time I don't know :laugh:

This is the thread that doesnt end
Yes it goes on and on my friend
Some people started posting here
not knowing what it was
and they'll continue posting now
forever just because

This is the thread that doesnt end
(cont cont.)

Miller said:
MB you might well be better off with a 300mm and a 1.4x TC. Don't forget of course that you would actually have a 672mm EFL with that set up - so you'd have a nice reach :D

How do you calculate that :confused:

300x1.4 = 420mm, how do you get it to be 672 ?

What is EFL ?

Ya, havent had a DSLR nor SLR before, so i'm reading alot on the subject :silly2:

672mm would be cool :D

MindBuster said:
How do you calculate that :confused:

300x1.4 = 420mm, how do you get it to be 672 ?

What is EFL ?

Ya, havent had a DSLR nor SLR before, so i'm reading alot on the subject :silly2:

672mm would be cool :D

Digital cameras that are not "full frame" (that is, who's sensor is smaller than a piece of 35mm film) have a "conversion factor" (sometimes goes by different names). The basic principle is that if a lens has a focal length of 500mm on a 35mm camera, if you fit that lens to a camera with a sensor 1.6x smaller than a 35mm piece of film you get an increased level of magnification. As such, you get an extra amount of zoom simply because the sensor is smaller than a full sized piece of film. That "focal length for free" figure is referred to as the Equivalent Focal Length (EFL).

So, with a 350D and 20D both having a 1.6x crop, you multiply the physical length of the lens by 1.6x to achieve the actual focal length you'll see.

That is how you get "compact mega-zoom" cameras. My Canon S2 IS has an actual focal length of 72mm, but because of the size of the sensor it's EFL is 432mm.

The conversion factor has it's plus sides for wildlife and telephoto shooting in general, but you do lose some of the wide end because of it. Because of the size of the sensor, my 17mm wide angle is infact 27mm EFL at the widest setting.

I hope that made some kind of sense :laugh:

Miller said:
Digital cameras that are not "full frame" (that is, who's sensor is smaller than a piece of 35mm film) have a "conversion factor" (sometimes goes by different names). The basic principle is that if a lens has a focal length of 500mm on a 35mm camera, if you fit that lens to a camera with a sensor 1.6x smaller than a 35mm piece of film you get an increased level of magnification. As such, you get an extra amount of zoom simply because the sensor is smaller than a full sized piece of film. That "focal length for free" figure is referred to as the Equivalent Focal Length (EFL).

So, with a 350D and 20D both having a 1.6x crop, you multiply the physical length of the lens by 1.6x to achieve the actual focal length you'll see.

That is how you get "compact mega-zoom" cameras. My Canon S2 IS has an actual focal length of 72mm, but because of the size of the sensor it's EFL is 432mm.

The conversion factor has it's plus sides for wildlife and telephoto shooting in general, but you do lose some of the wide end because of it. Because of the size of the sensor, my 17mm wide angle is infact 27mm EFL at the widest setting.

I hope that made some kind of sense :laugh:

Nice, it did make sense, thanks. :)

Do you know if the 1.4x TC can be used with a IS lens ?
Having IS at those ranges could come in handy instead of carrying around a tri or monopod.

MindBuster said:
Nice, it did make sense, thanks. :)

Do you know if the 1.4x TC can be used with a IS lens ?
Having IS at those ranges could come in handy instead of carrying around a tri or monopod.

I've not done the above, but because the IS takes place in the rear elements of the lens, and you fit the TC between the camera and lens - I would be very surprised if it didn't work, but it would be worth confirming that!

You guys have totally lost me :D

:rofl: doh I get it now :shame:

Miller that looks like such a cosy and quiet place to live! Would love to be closer to the snow! Im in australia, Have about 2 hour drive to the snow and we only really get it in winter. Very occasionally in winter we get it in towns near us. I remember my last trip to the snow, spent about a week there skiing and just having fun! And the best bit... the heated outdoor spa that was there, so nice to be comfortably relaxed while surrounded in snow :D
Will have to take my son next season, he is at the age now where he would absolutely love it!

*wonders if this will become another 'Lootius Thread'*

speaking of snow, i wish someone would come by and take all the god damn snow to hell with him/her, i'm so sick and tired of gray and white colors and cold weather outside... :mad: :mad:

Did you know! :

Racecar backwards spells Racecar!

snowy landscape is beautiful, but those times when there isn't so much of it and temperature is something like +2C are annoying. Like spring and autumn seasons.

How many licks does it take til you get to the center of a tootsie roll lollipop?

1...2...CHOMP

The world may never know...

Stryker said:
Did you know! :

Racecar backwards spells Racecar!

DALLAS-SALLAD ;)

Back