Prolonged Loss of Service Nov. 17th

Hanne|SDS

Old Alpha
SDS Official Hanne
Colonists of Planet Calypso,

On Wednesday Nov. 17th, Planet Calypso was unavailable for a large part of the day.

A MindArk Version Update required prolonged maintenance which resulted in great delays, and in-game problems for the customers of Planet Calypso.

First Planet Company apologizes for the loss of service, and has requested information from MindArk about the nature of the incident and what procedures are to be developed to avoid similar issues in the future.

Regards,
The First Planet Company Team.

Thanks!

Edited out the shit-slinging at MA, seems they apologized too.

Last edited:
YAY for FPC having out back!

I am more worried about the nice flood of new players we have from the yahoo news artical seeing a bad outage right soon after joining -.-

An apology? I feel like Charlie Brown on Halloween...All I got was a rock.

If this was the only issue I have ever had with a VU release since I joined the EU I would be happy. This is a bit ridiculous considering how long the EU has been around, and how many problems there are year in and year out.

You can keep your rock.

It's not your fault Hanne, or anyone else at FPC, its MA and we know it. Thanks for the apology, but its not yours to make.

I still think it would have been nice if you guys had just come onto the forum and had an informal Q&A with the downtime though, there were a lot of peeps sitting around waiting for a long time, would've taken away some angst.

I lol'd at Kiri :laugh: I didn't get a rock!! :mad:

seriously, though - I'm finishing the download I started last night, before going to bed. I didn't touch it for the first 24-36 hours, because all I heard about on EF was the bugs and issues - so I stayed away for my own sanity. If I may be so bold .. some of the people NEED to just wait for the download next time .. for their sanity. :D

now I just hope there's not some error, in 2 minutes when it's supposed to be done. *crosses fingers*

ty for the apology, Hanne :tiphat:

thanks for doing this, sadly fpc shouldnt be the ones embarrised and apologizing for this.

for too long now ma have given this loiw standard of service while showing no effort to improve nor a peep out of them. Its time they accepyed responsibility for their own actions, apologize and reassure us, the customer they are doing whats required to prevent such things in the future. dont see why it should have to be down to a planet partner to kick them upp the backside gettong them to do something.

You know, I really don't appreciate you calling my cookies "rocks". My baking isn't that bad. :( Sure they might be a little charred but that just adds to the flavor!

Theren Strange, that's an excellent idea but unfortunately I was too busy yesterday to be able to carry out a Q&A session as well. Would have been great if I could clone myself though. :)

at least someone is watching our backs thanks hanna.

You know, I really don't appreciate you calling my cookies "rocks". My baking isn't that bad. :( Sure they might be a little charred but that just adds to the flavor!

Theren Strange, that's an excellent idea but unfortunately I was too busy yesterday to be able to carry out a Q&A session as well. Would have been great if I could clone myself though. :)

Ok I guess that was a bit harsh :laugh:

I guess what my frustration is, that there is a lack of seriously needed communication between everyone involved in EU.

IMO there has been some serious issues in the past 24 hours. MA should be releasing news updates to let us know what is going on at least every hour. The fact that they have had 5 updates, AFTER the extended downtime release messages, in the past 24 hours is complete bull shit. It shows lack of appreciation for the player base and some people who pay good money for this product.

Honest and open communication can do wonders. Without it, MA/FPC are going to push people further away.

Thanks Hanne but the fault is not yours.
And Thanks to hard job you doing trying to help all of us even put MA name in check .
Keep it coming

It shows lack of appreciation for the player base and some people who pay good money for this product.

Honest and open communication can do wonders. Without it, MA/FPC are going to push people further away.
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?165631-Im-considering-PE&p=2094565&viewfull=1#post2094565
burnsey said:
I think everyone here has a case of overinflated self-importance.

I'll just quote my self from 2 years ago:

How much more obvious does MA need to make it?

They don't care about you. They don't care that you spend 10k dollars on armor, they care that you have 1000 ped tt armor. They only want decay.

The don't care if you leave, someone will replace you.
We are just test subject who are replaceable, it's in their business plan/model.
2009, 2007
I'm sure I will reference these quotes again in a year.

MA's answer to FPC will be in Swedish of course, but after putting it through a translator, this is what it will mean:
We're truly sorry but you guys have been doing too well recently and the sudden influx of new participants would require us to forgo our Christmas bonuses and instead invest in more servers and other infrastructure. The issues encountered will ensure that many of the new participants will abandon the game and allow us to continue operating with a minimal active user base.​

Got home last night at 6:30 pm est and had no problem with the download and got right into PE :)
I must be lucky!

MA's answer to FPC will be in Swedish of course, but after putting it through a translator, this is what it will mean:
We're truly sorry but you guys have been doing too well recently and the sudden influx of new participants would require us to forgo our Christmas bonuses and instead invest in more servers and other infrastructure. The issues encountered will ensure that many of the new participants will abandon the game and allow us to continue operating with a minimal active user base.​

Vi verkligen ledsen men ni har gjort alltför väl den senaste tiden och den plötsliga tillströmningen av nya deltagare skulle kräva att vi avstå från vår jul bonusar och istället investera i fler servrar och annan infrastruktur. De frågor som förekommer kommer att se att många av de nya deltagarna kommer att överge spelet och tillåter oss att fortsätta sin verksamhet med en minimal aktiv användarbas. :rofl:

Its not over yet. And does a vitual cookie really cut it when you have you put up with this after frequent re-downloading the same files?

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/5/3/6/3/download.jpg

I have previously highlighted in a support case the downloader does not work properly when it comes to checking files already downloaded and a different install folder simply will get it stuck.Now maybe this will be taken seriously?

I didn't get a rock!!
I humbly think both MA and FPC for the 20 something brukite stone's I found on Wednesday! :)

nice to see FPC is here to talk for us and ask for an explanation.

Unforeseen stuff gets in the way.. happens to us all from time to time, companies included..

Nobody's perfect, but MA at least did manage to fix most things relatively quickly, besides the still-strange arm bug with 2-handed equipment/weapons.

All in all i'm mostly surprised that such unexpected extentions of maintenance/upgrade procedures STILL manage to get a lot of people agitated and complaintative :confused:

@Hanne

Will any of these downtimes affect the Harbringer event too?

Edit: Or was nothing excited planned to happen until the last week? ;) hehe

Will any of these downtimes affect the Harbringer event too?

Edit: Or was nothing excited planned to happen until the last week? ;) hehe

Right now the plan is still to let the Harbinger run its intended course. :)

On Wednesday Nov. 17th, Planet Calypso was unavailable for a large part of the day.

A MindArk Version Update required prolonged maintenance which resulted in great delays, and in-game problems for the customers of Planet Calypso.

First Planet Company apologizes for the loss of service, and has requested information from MindArk about the nature of the incident and what procedures are to be developed to avoid similar issues in the future.

Regards,

Ty Hanne. :)

Regards,

i only been here 3 years but this isn't the first time there have been issues. this game is 7 year old since its been live 9 years total i think when in beta. by now they should know how to do updates better :(

we have alot of new players recently things like this bad update makes this game look bad.

Right now the plan is still to let the Harbinger run its intended course. :)

Intended course? :O I thought we, the playerbase, were controlling the course of the event! ;)
*Its all a lie!!*

Something that would help is if you get MA to create a better repair tool that also includes a removal tool to completely remove every single file of Entropia when you need to re-install.

Most problems people have with downloading a fresh and working install is from hidden files.

Back