Votes: 55 51.4%
  • Yes to cryengine 3

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Yes to cryengine 4

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • I don't Know

Votes: 24 22.4%

• Total voters
Blue Mars uses Cry2 and my old comp handled it fine. But not in EU. I don't know the technical details but EU is much harder on a comp and doesn't look as good. And I hope they don't upgrade because I don't want to lose any more stuff.

Candy

Blue Mars uses Cry2 and my old comp handled it fine. But not in EU. I don't know the technical details but EU is much harder on a comp and doesn't look as good. And I hope they don't upgrade because I don't want to lose any more stuff.

Candy
It's harder on the computer because of the RCE... Other games don't have auction databases to sort, etc.

I just couldn't believe this poll when I saw it. This must be a joke it's so ridiculous. First of all I know many many players (including me) who can't play anymore because CE2 is too heavy for their computer. Secondly they still haven't fixed all bugs which came from CE2 nor have they brought back taming, beacon missions etc. Why on earth would another graphical update go above these things?

Thirdly it has only been a year since CE2 was released and my dear boy that doesn't mean it's outdated at all... Try running the same poll in, say 4 or 5 years later. Maybe by then even I'll be able to play properly.

And yes I haven't played properly for 1 year.

hmmmmm, i made this thread and poll because i wanted peoples thoughts on what could happen next on the graphical side of things yes i could have made the poll a bit more better and say maybe gave a few more options, and i know people have had issues with cry2 i mean i did too untill i upgraded my computer, now i play on very high so yes i might be a bit out of line with most players and i am sorry but the point is i just wanted to see what people thought could happen next and some nice replys too thank you for them, i put te poll on after i made the thread, i do admit i got it a bit wrong THUS i havent actually made a poll thread before this was my first 1 so please excuse my poll n00biness hehehehe

thanks and gl

RJ Rob

ce2 more than enough & will lot of years while will enough

It's harder on the computer because of the RCE... Other games don't have auction databases to sort, etc.

a example if a webpage full whith flash objects it will slow the most powerfull pc too, but in entropia not all time need to use slow maker parts ( if auction etc databases slow down lil the engine) only if U in AH or similar situation,

MA said when ce2 chosed they will not update ( who wanna see it search in forum or MA pages I not save links like this post) CE2 more enough than entropia use it atm & will enough about 20 years :D

who wanna new engine think a lil how many time since MA started use ce2 & how game parts still unavaible . . . U need this all time when grap updateing ??? for useing ce2 just pr thing ... MA thought better grap will expand player base . . . but whos played before & unable to login after ce2 stopped playing,, yes lot of them upgraded their pc or bougt new powerfull to handle MA's ce2 diversion but most of them after had a powerfull pc started use other games etc etc ^^
as I said from beginning (when chosed ce2 ) if I have ___amount to depo entropia will do, but if I spend money to hardwere/pc than no money left for depo, & as can imagine lot of ppl whos updated their pc stopped enropia maybe they just not fun more, but maybe they use other games if a pc able to run entropia whith high grap that can run thousands of games free/payed/montly payed MMOs etc etc
as can see lot of post around the forum most entropia players think before visual was enough they NN visual up ( + if see they lost the game bigger part cus a lil visual upgrade...)
MA finish the game porting & that will better than upgrade visual again & repeat what did befor ( summer of 2009 ...)
MA know only what they wanna earn , what are their plans as anyone can see they just sold the 1st planet . . . well I think this worst step than the ce2 that show me someting what I canT tell in english .. but this go closer what investor told me when we talked about entopia az a place where he/they will put amount of money ... they waiting how MA forming the world & as I see they not too happy about it ( ok can U say that is they problem or mine cant start the projects but think a lil not to much planet partners around maybe they see that what we/they see /feel/think
MA was a starter , now sold the 1st/main planet things changed lil this not 100% good
now MA need planet partners , investors outside this is their plan as can see

sorry that lil long & I missed lot of things because canT write english what I wanna & wonT make misunderstanding words :)
I hope MA will finish entropia ce2 porting soon & we & others can make their steps to make good things around :)

I would like the devs to actually bring back the magic of PE that build new crap we dont really care about in EU..

so EU will not be dangerous or even give that feeling.. shame I say..

yesterday I said to some freinds that it would be so cool if the robots win the next event.. destroying port atlantis and all its modern buildings.. make it look like the citadel and spawn the new ppl right in it.. that would make new ppl see action at day 1..

and this new engine would make it all look fucking fantastic!

destroy most "towns" and just lieve a couple of outposts.. make it look like a warzone again.. not some tropical paradise with palm trees and clear blue water.. spawn robots everywhere.. make it so you have to dodge red dots again by spawning big mobs instead of the crap we have now on calypso.. more details on landskapes.. sure grass and clouds is nice.. but you probably know what Im talking about if you played in the old engine.. I miss the citadel and everything around it.. the big cannons and robot junk that was laying around.. and specially in the pvp zones.. make more bunkers, the outposts around PA is nice.. but instead of making overground buildings you could make bunkers.. with only landing pads overground.. and make the forts forts again.. not just a tp with a "portable" auction house.. and make more of the one at treasure island riverside..

I like it to be a war zone again.. gave it a better feeling considering the background story why were here and all that.. it feels like were no longer trying to tame the planet anymore.. just harvest it... and we dont need to worrie about anything else than that we might loose our peds in the process.. ha.. when I think of it... thats the only danger feeling I have these days.. will I loose or will I break even? when it should be.. will I manage to survive or will I run into impossible mobs?

so no.. MA dont need a new engine the next 10+ years imo.. they can max out this one first.. and as we all know maxing out stuff in this game takes alot of time now :D

1.) CE2 is in no way used to its maximum in here. Entropia just cant handle it.

2.) There is no logical reason at all to "upgrade" to the console CE3.

3.) Why even ask for a CE4 right now ? o_O

4.) Why did I even post here ?

destroy most "towns" and just lieve a couple of outposts.. make it look like a warzone again.. not some tropical paradise with palm trees and clear blue water..

But this is the way people learned about CE2. Tropical Paradise, blue water.

Thats why it is the way it is...and the missing creativity.

And towns ? There are no towns anymore. Just dead boring outposts.

Last edited:
have heard no news on cryengine4, 3 is fairly new, its supposed to be a slight upgrade from 2 in what is graphically and physicsly capable of but its main purpose was so it could be played on consoles and make it much easier to develop with.
from what ive heard many companies never wanted to touch the cry2 engine because not only does it demand big resources but its very hard to develop games with it.

Cry2 is not used at maximum atm and even working like it is, it`s way too taxing for most PCs, even for new hardware.
Keep in mind that Entropia runs cryengine in 32bit, DX9 mode.

1. with cry2 they can't fully utilize it or almost no one could play the mmo, but id like wave effects with my water.....

2. well other then easier developing and faster releases not really, especially since they would have to transfer the game into another new engine. do we want to wait another 3 years?

3. because people are graphic hungery and want their games to look more and more like the real word not realizing when cry4 comes out we will all have to probably spend 3 grand to upgrade our pcs.

4. you don't have alot of cash in game to go hunting with like you used to and your running out of good topics on the forum to discuss stuff in.

1) fix clipping so fish don't get stuck in water and I don't get stuck at Revive
2) get a chat system already
3) the turretless towns are fun, make a couple more, and/or make turrets malfunction on rare occasions
4) make sweat & dung auctionable so they have recorded market values
5) separate the loot pools of the various planets from each other
6) bring back mentoring, taming, etc
7) fix the existing engine to run on lower grade equipment. I didn't say run well, I said run.
8) Beacons.

I'm not sure what all of you mean by full potential of the engine maybe you guys are
confused? Not even Crysis uses nowhere close to the max potentail of the engine.

I dont know about Rocktropia and NI but Calypso does a pretty bad job optimizing
the engine for this mmo. I have high end machine and I can't play EU smoothly
on Very High settings "in all locations".

Getting back to the point there are some locations that looks absolutly amazing on Calypso
and runs smoothly on my system if the Planet partners can make more of these
locations then there is no need to upgrade.

The only reason I see they might wanna upgrade is to get a engine that takes
full advantage of tessilation.

Please, no upgrade!

We have had 1 year of preparing for updates and now 1 year of hard work to bring back what we had before the upgrade to CE2. We still haven't what we had before. We have got a few new things that we didn't ask for instead.
Before going to CE2 I said that eyecande isn't as importand as gameplay and I still stands for that oppinion.
What we need in the near future is more diversity in our economy with more proffessions and old proffessions brought back. Just more eyecandy will not help at all. The old graphics engine we had before CE2 was possible too tweak a loot for better looks so if u need better looks I think cleverer ways to use what we have should be the first step. And add better graphic cards that can utilise it. It's not all in the engine, what u see in a movie isn't what u get on a regular rig.

dun dun duuun

1. with cry2 they can't fully utilize it or almost no one could play the mmo, but id like wave effects with my water.....

2. well other then easier developing and faster releases not really, especially since they would have to transfer the game into another new engine. do we want to wait another 3 years?

3. because people are graphic hungery and want their games to look more and more like the real word not realizing when cry4 comes out we will all have to probably spend 3 grand to upgrade our pcs.

4. you don't have alot of cash in game to go hunting with like you used to and your running out of good topics on the forum to discuss stuff in.

1.) You can play any game using CE2 on lowest detail. It sucks, but you can play.
MindArk/FPC is just not able to use the power they gained.

2.) Right, it will never ever happen (CE3), even you just posted its a bad idea. Because it is. MA is incompetent, but even they wouldnt "upgrade" to CE3. Thats why I dont get that poll option.

3.) Yes and it is possible to play very "realistic" on CE2 already. We are still far away from realistic, but we are getting closer

4.) I denounce Mindarks/FPCs way of design. I say they became lazy and lost their spirit, the love dedicated to their "platform". Ill continue until someone official actually listens, MA/FPC closes down PE, or I totally loose my concern in PE. And I still try to post nonsense videos. You think Im running out of good topics ? Or are you fed up hearing the truth again and again ? I dont have cash ingame ? How do you know ? I dont hunt anymore, right, I stopped that long ago and bragged about it on the forum. Where is the problem with that, other then posting the question "why did i even post" ? In a thread about "what do you think will happen?"...maybe Im fed up seeing such discussions. What do you think will happen...yawn...nothing personal, sorry. Have a nice day.

It may be that I'm the only one of this opinion, but for now I'm going to assume otherwise.

The best games ever, did not have very impressive graphics, simply because it was not possible with the current hardware, so instead all the effort was put in to the game play resulting in some great games.

Transport tycoon, prince of persia, GTA I, II and to some degree also III and so on and so forth. If you're old enough, you may continue the list your self and if you're not, you'll have no idea what I'm talking about.

Today things are different. Game after game is launched in to oblivion. They all look impressive, but only on rare occasions they're actually remembered. The reason is obvious. All the effort is put in to the visual and few resources remain to develop the actual game.

This is a shame and I don't want the EU developers to make the same mistake.

I want to believe that the implementation of CryE2 made a significant difference, but I still fear that the huge amount of time an money could have been better spend.

When all this is said, as long as I'm not forced to buy a new computer (again), which I can't afford, and it doesn't have an unfortunate impact on the development of the "important" aspects of the game, I welcome any improvement on the visual side.

The other question people may want to ask them selves is whether or not we need a new graphics engine and arrogant as it may sound, I dare to think that I know the answer, that is to say, it is not just my opinion.
The answer of course is no.

True, the are issues still, with the graphics, but a new engine won't solve those.

Anyone who want to dispute this "fact" are more than welcome to do so and I'll be sure to flame you in to oblivion, at least for the remainder of the year ;)

Happy New Year!

Please, no upgrade!

We have had 1 year of preparing for updates and now 1 year of hard work to bring back what we had before the upgrade to CE2. We still haven't what we had before. We have got a few new things that we didn't ask for instead.
Before going to CE2 I said that eyecande isn't as importand as gameplay and I still stands for that oppinion.
What we need in the near future is more diversity in our economy with more proffessions and old proffessions brought back. Just more eyecandy will not help at all. The old graphics engine we had before CE2 was possible too tweak a loot for better looks so if u need better looks I think cleverer ways to use what we have should be the first step. And add better graphic cards that can utilise it. It's not all in the engine, what u see in a movie isn't what u get on a regular rig.

yepp.. I could play this with 8-bit graphics if I had too.. eyecandy is for gfx whore kids that has grown up with the latest war games on consols.. I grew up with story telling role playing games.. the feeling of the game is the most important thing.. graphics comes much later.. and the dev team knows this.. or did they hire 14 year olds?

sure.. since I bought my new gaming rig I really want nice gfx.. but the feelings for the game must ofc also be there.. atm Im not impressed at all about EU.. not even when it comes to the eyecandy.. but Im sure if there would be more details I would.. I still want the robos to nuke most of the "towns" and make it more post apocalyptic/nuclear..

bring back the "tame calypso" feeling again.. not "kill a gazillion mobs and then kill some more"

focus one one thing at a time if it is so hard! Im sure we can wait some more if we all know that it will be done right! right?

It may be that I'm the only one of this opinion, but for now I'm going to assume otherwise.

The best games ever, did not have very impressive graphics, simply because it was not possible with the current hardware, so instead all the effort was put in to the game play resulting in some great games.

Transport tycoon, prince of persia, GTA I, II and to some degree also III and so on and so forth. If you're old enough, you may continue the list your self and if you're not, you'll have no idea what I'm talking about.

Today things are different. Game after game is launched in to oblivion. They all look impressive, but only on rare occasions they're actually remembered. The reason is obvious. All the effort is put in to the visual and few resources remain to develop the actual game.

I want to believe that the implementation of CryE2 made a significant difference, but I still fear that the huge amount of time an money could have been better spend.

When all this is said, as long as I'm not forced to buy a new computer (again), which I can't afford, and it doesn't have an unfortunate impact on the development of the "important" aspects of the game, I welcome any improvement on the visual side.

The other question people may want to ask them selves is whether or not we need a new graphics engine and arrogant as it may sound, I dare to think that I know the answer, that is to say, it is not just my opinion.

True, the are issues still, with the graphics, but a new engine won't solve those.

Anyone who want to dispute this "fact" are more than welcome to do so and I'll be sure to flame you in to oblivion, at least for the remainder of the year ;)

Happy New Year!

I thought it was interesting that you used the word oblivion twice, but not in mention of the game that had fantastic graphics and a great game.

If Mindark wants to commit corporate suicide ? Then by all means bring in an new engine.

With so little done, they should not even talk, think or look at an engine upgrade.
Time they really start working and stop fooling around.

Kinder garden time is over.

Happy New Year!

Happy new year and welcome to the Grumpy old Men. ;) You choose your words wisely. :)

yepp.. I could play this with 8-bit graphics if I had too.. eyecandy is for gfx whore kids that has grown up with the latest war games on consols.. I grew up with story telling role playing games.. the feeling of the game is the most important thing.. graphics comes much later.. and the dev team knows this.. or did they hire 14 year olds?

sure.. since I bought my new gaming rig I really want nice gfx.. but the feelings for the game must ofc also be there.. atm Im not impressed at all about EU.. not even when it comes to the eyecandy.. but Im sure if there would be more details I would.. I still want the robos to nuke most of the "towns" and make it more post apocalyptic/nuclear..

bring back the "tame calypso" feeling again.. not "kill a gazillion mobs and then kill some more"

focus one one thing at a time if it is so hard! Im sure we can wait some more if we all know that it will be done right! right?

Happy new year and welcome to the Grumpy old Men. ;) Thank you for your kind words.

I thought it was interesting that you used the word oblivion twice, but not in mention of the game that had fantastic graphics and a great game.

Oblivion even used the "old" gamebryo engine we had before. And somehow it was way more detailed and perfectly designed then what we have here today...great work does not need awesome graphics!

If Mindark wants to commit corporate suicide ? Then by all means bring in an new engine.

With so little done, they should not even talk, think or look at an engine upgrade.
Time they really start working and stop fooling around.

Kinder garden time is over.

Exactly. Poste to debate what might or what will come from MindArk/FPC, somewhere in the future, became just one thing...outdated.

Did the OP really expect answers like:

"Yes it will never be upgraded and become outdated ?"

(Hell, even the gamebryo engine isnt outdated yet and right now I dont see why we have CE2...except for the water...Crysis feeling...and some bling bling. Gamebryo would have been a powerfull tool as well, but MA wanted/needed to be "the 1st" to put CE2 into an MMORPG...gratz)

"Yes it will be upgraded to CryEngine 3, because..."

Because why ? There is no logical reason at all, yet you post it and even mention it as the console-conversion of CE2.

"Yes it will be upgraded to CryEngine 4, because..."

Because why ? How on earth should we know ? Did you really expect a "Yes, they will upgrade to CE4...if it ever hits the daylight, that is" ?

MindArk is like a random generator, you cant know whats going to happen next. We cant know. Tahts why I usually stay out of such threads, but now Im in here...and no, I didnt get up with the wrong foot...

And you telling me im out of good ideas and constructive posts ? I jsut dont want to stay unheard. Sometimes its hard to explain something to deaf and blind people on EF. ;)

Happy ne year !

na.. the elderscrolls oblivion was eyecandy aswell.. morrowind was alot.. ALOT better when it came to gameplay and gfx at the same time.. I still play that game :D and I also spent over 2 years playing daggerfall.. 2 years.. playing a singleplayer game... thats something.. but still.. oblivion was probably the best game that came out in that time.. so all the other game sucked way more..

as long as companys wanna spend most of their budget on eyecandy it will suck.. its kinda annoying that they dont see that themselfs.. cus most devs is gamers.. but their bosses and investors is not.. they are just after the "easy" money..

and sadly EU/PE is also taking that road.. it seems..

on new games they almost always say that "this game will give you 30h of entertainment blabla" WTF!! all the good games lasts forever.. and every gamer know that..

rant off.. making a new adventurer in BG2 :D that game will never get old

Maybe instead of posting a poll, we could ask MA themselves, if they plan on going to CryEngine3 or 4?

Last edited:
na.. the elderscrolls oblivion was eyecandy aswell.. morrowind was alot.. ALOT better when it came to gameplay and gfx at the same time.. I still play that game :D and I also spent over 2 years playing daggerfall.. 2 years.. playing a singleplayer game... thats something.. but still.. oblivion was probably the best game that came out in that time.. so all the other game sucked way more..

as long as companys wanna spend most of their budget on eyecandy it will suck.. its kinda annoying that they dont see that themselfs.. cus most devs is gamers.. but their bosses and investors is not.. they are just after the "easy" money..

and sadly EU/PE is also taking that road.. it seems..

on new games they almost always say that "this game will give you 30h of entertainment blabla" WTF!! all the good games lasts forever.. and every gamer know that..

rant off.. making a new adventurer in BG2 :D that game will never get old

Bah. I disagree. Oblivion was the same game as elder scrolls almost with a new skin.... I do admit though, that I like ES a bit more, but I attribute that to having been around first!

From a pure graphics perspective one of the best engines ive seen is the GRACE engine (Reality Pump Studios) in Two Worlds II.

Blazing fast framerates with max geometry detail, physics and texturing all on mediocre hardware (single HD 4870 - 512 MB at 1920x1200).
I have not seen any other game to date perform as such. Simply brilliant programming.

Lets hope Skyrim (TES V) can look as good and perform as well as Two Worlds II.

EU on the other hand will always lag behind. Then again you only need slot machine graphics for a slot machine.

:twocents:

I am rather experienced with the CryEngine 2 system, having both created designs and programs for Blue Mars and Crysis, using the Sandbox and other tools. This post should confirm some things, and disprove others, coming from firsthand information and experience.

CryEngine 2 is powerful. Extremely powerful. It is has of the most powerful physics engines in modern games, and can better utilize next-gen shaders and graphic technology. It is very flexible in terms of coding and worldbuilding, and only has a few restrictions; Flying/floating (dynamic) objects, like Sumimas, and a few others which are too complicated to explain to newbies. As for CryEngine 3, it is merely a streamlined, and partially stripped down version of CryEngine 2, making it more suitable for running on consoles, whose performance simply isn't as powerful as a computer's. It features most of the same features that CryEngine 2 does.

In short, calling CE2 outdated would be calling CE3 outdated as well, since they are both rather similar. Also, licenses are rather expensive, so upgrading could take money out of our beloved PED pool.

- Statik

Option "I'd leave that to MindArk because I know shit about engines" is missing. :ahh:

I am rather experienced with the CryEngine 2 system, having both created designs and programs for Blue Mars and Crysis, using the Sandbox and other tools. This post should confirm some things, and disprove others, coming from firsthand information and experience.

CryEngine 2 is powerful. Extremely powerful. It is has of the most powerful physics engines in modern games, and can better utilize next-gen shaders and graphic technology. It is very flexible in terms of coding and worldbuilding, and only has a few restrictions; Flying/floating (dynamic) objects, like Sumimas, and a few others which are too complicated to explain to newbies. As for CryEngine 3, it is merely a streamlined, and partially stripped down version of CryEngine 2, making it more suitable for running on consoles, whose performance simply isn't as powerful as a computer's. It features most of the same features that CryEngine 2 does.

In short, calling CE2 outdated would be calling CE3 outdated as well, since they are both rather similar. Also, licenses are rather expensive, so upgrading could take money out of our beloved PED pool.

- Statik

Hey m8,

Thanks for this info, so maybe cry2 will be ok for a while then :)

GL all

RJ Rob

Back