Why no-one works on Entropedia?

Smoerble

Elite
Smoerble
Entropedia was a perfect source before VU switch. But now most mob locations seem to be wrong/not existant, the loot is a total myth now etc. Especially the new loot is often not added.

My reason: the update process for loot was way more simple some months ago, the current system takes way too much time.

What is the reason that you don't update?

Isn't the reason for new system to prevent the moron(s?) that wrote false
info on purpose?

What is the reason that you don't update?

What is the reason you don't update (any)more?

Your last 3 updates:

Sept. 1st (Daiki spawn)
Jan. 28th (2x eMINE PG)
Jan. 22nd (Atrox & Argo spawn)

Total updates: 33 (including minor updates like maturity adjustments)

I think it is a plain joke to complain that people do not update when all you've ever done are like 20 contributions...

Well, if you could read, you would have found this:
My reason: the update process for loot was way more simple some months ago, the current system takes way too much time.

Well, if you could read, you would have found this:

You have not updated a SINGLE loot drop in 2010 - why do you care whether the loot updates are complicated or not?

And, on top of that, what exactly do you mean by "the update process for loot was way more simple"???

It didn't change, actually, the last change was made years ago, where Witte implemented my suggestion to have a "Last VU" link which automatically updates the value in the "Last VU" to the latest Version Update...

how complicated... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
1. You are too lazy to update entropedia.
2. Why isn't entropedia more up to date?!
3. See 1.

Its a community resource.. created and maintained by the community. The community for this game has more or less sucked for a year now.

Entropedia has nether been 100% accurate. Currently I don't even bother to use it for mob locating as every location for the mobs I want seem to be incorrect. The item info appear to be accurate but a few items has not been added yet and also appears that some items has been removed.

Entropedia is a Great Resource!

Entropedia is the best single resource for Entropia Universe available today. The information is not perfect, but it's not reasonable to expect that from a wiki. And it beats trying to find hard information by searching forum posts. There are other free wikis out there, but none to touch Entropedia's depth and breadth of information.

I would suggest monetizing the site, perhaps in a manner similar to the Entropia Tracker: contributors use it free, but non-contributors pay. This would incentivize people to contribute more and to, hopefully, "motivate the developer to add more features".

Sam :)

Why update mob locations if there is just spawns of 5-10 ? + if people found a good spot they hesitate to share nowadays.

I must admit to not nearly updating the loot charts as much as I planned, I guess I'll try to be better next year, inc given that its seems i tend to occasionally hunt mobs that don't get hunted that much.

However - its lame seeing people in this thread say "spawns are wrong, blah, blah" - fix them already you lazy slobs!

And, on top of that, what exactly do you mean by "the update process for loot was way more simple"???

It didn't change, actually, the last change was made years ago, where Witte implemented my suggestion to have a "Last VU" link which automatically updates the value in the "Last VU" to the latest Version Update...

There was also a more recent update where updating loots with a frequency of Unknown, Rare or Extremely rare was disabled from the Last VU link and now have to be edited with a comment. Sure, it needs a few more clicks, but you can avoid doing this repeatedly for the same loot if you change the Unknown frequency. There are guidelines for the frequencies but I usually go by instinct. I doubt anyone really decides on what to hunt based on Entropedia's loot frequencies.

Entropedia has nether been 100% accurate.

I'm quite certain it never will be.

Currently I don't even bother to use it for mob locating as every location for the mobs I want seem to be incorrect.

Wouldn't have anything to do with FPC changing them all the time, would it?

Here's a thought. Next time you go hunting and find the mob you want, take a minute to add or correct the location. In addition to not having to remember where the mobs are, you're helping everyone else who's looking for them.

The item info appear to be accurate but a few items has not been added yet and also appears that some items has been removed.

Why don't you add them? Failing that, give someone involved a hint to what's missing. This thread is a good opportunity, if a tad off-topic.

Wouldn't have anything to do with FPC changing them all the time, would it?

Yea I know that

Here's a thought. Next time you go hunting and find the mob you want, take a minute to add or correct the location. In addition to not having to remember where the mobs are, you're helping everyone else who's looking for them.

If I can actually find the mobs I'm looking for I could but then again I don't update wikkies as I make a bigger mess then any thing els on anything related to webpage changes

Why don't you add them? Failing that, give someone involved a hint to what's missing. This thread is a good opportunity, if a tad off-topic.

Let me think a bit and ill post here when I remember what BPs went missing that is if they haven't been added back in yet. Memory a bit fuzzy :ahh:

oh there is some misinformation on entropedia, few month ago i spent LOADS of peds on Blazars just because i made some calculations based on entropedia which stated that Blazars are used in enhancer crafting, well that was total fail on my part to not to recheck the info:)

I am a little pissed, I asked why no-one updates it, and ppl flame me for this. I don#t think, the ones that flame here, are in a position to flame at all.

And I have to say, I think it is still the best resource, I just would like to know, why others don't work on it. And I think, I have the right, to ask, if I am interested to know.

oh there is some misinformation on entropedia, few month ago i spent LOADS of peds on Blazars just because i made some calculations based on entropedia which stated that Blazars are used in enhancer crafting, well that was total fail on my part to not to recheck the info:)

Thanks for the heads-up.

I've updated Entropedia for the bp's I've been able to view on auction so far.

I've also made an note to check the remaining ones daily til these entries can be changed based on accurate info.

And I have to say, I think it is still the best resource, I just would like to know, why others don't work on it. And I think, I have the right, to ask, if I am interested to know.

Some of us do.

I use windowed mode - when I'm ingame I have Entropedia open, and edit as I notice anything that needs updating (other than when team hunting ofc).

If more players did the same - accurately - Entropedia would be more up-to-date than is possible atm. On the other hand, I get pretty tired of undoing stuff when (for example) an unregistered user changes a bunch of the loot frequencies for a mob to 'unknown'.

Last edited:
Do you have a clue how to get the tracker thing working for loot?

Do you have a clue how to get the tracker thing working for loot?

I think you mean EUHunter (https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...Tracking-and-Analysis-Tool&highlight=euhunter).

It only works with Entropedia for team hunting afaik - unfortunately the few times I tried it, it crashed losing all loot info, but I believe others use it successfully.

I'd love a tool that I could use as a solo hunter of mixed spawns that would let me note loots from each mob killed, and update Entropedia at the end of the hunt with a single upload, including the number of drops and kills for better loot frequency info recording. Unfortunately, there's none available that I'm aware of, and I'm not a programmer :ahh:

I am a little pissed, I asked why no-one updates it, and ppl flame me for this. I don#t think, the ones that flame here, are in a position to flame at all.

Excuse me Smoerble, but some of us do update the data, and sometiems a lot more than you thinnk..

Case in point is when Rocktropia opened up, and introduced a lot of mobs.. I will state this for fact.. I and a Colleage of Mine (who ges by the name Rick Janson) spend many a day actually gathering data for everyone to look at.. Including the sacred wolves.. (If you look Closely at the sacred wolf data, at least 50% of the high end data of Stalkers, Old Alphas and alphas were gathered by myself and Mr. Janson. Also a lot of the dat that was to definie certain mob attacks were done by countless tests with low end armors, to determine what kind of attacks were possible. (and yes we ran the data backwards thorugh the Armor advisors and mob vs armor programs that Entropedia has..

The Zombies were a lot of tests.. tens if not hundreds of tests on the low end zombies and at least 20-100 tests on the high end mobs.. and we got a very good idea on what it took to stand up to them.

As for Motorheads? We got data there too.. and Wolves... believe me, 75% of the pictures shown are in fact taken by Mr. Janson himself..

So yeah We've scanned, we've tested, and yes we've decayed our armors, just for the sake of other players wanting to kow..

My Motto is this.. "We're working hard, so you don't ahve to..." (And Right now, We're working no Next island and starting to compile data... a ton of it..

So some folks are actually updating the entropedia website, but some are not. That's the problem.. If more people did this and took some time to gather the data, maybe then they would know what they are up against.

Other than that, a lot of folks are shooting in the dark on Mob data.. and placements..

Enough said..

Benjamin 'Ben' Coyote a.k.a. "The Blind Sniper"

Well, the point of this topic is not "entropedia is out of date", my question is: why do ppl NOT do something? Until now it seams, only ppl answer who DO something...

Well, the point of this topic is not "entropedia is out of date", my question is: why do ppl NOT do something? Until now it seams, only ppl answer who DO something...

1. People are basically lazy.

2. People are not sure HOW to update a wiki page

3. No-one wants to accidently put wrong info on there.

4. Less people are using Entropedia, so less people to update

5. No point in updating info until all the changes have been done (mob locations, stats, loot)

6. I never get any loot worth updating

Thats a few reasons off the top of my head. My personal reason - combination of 2,3 and 6.

hmm i actually didn't know i could update it, i thought you had to maybe be a part of a group of people with access permissions to update it so the info was legit.

Thanks for making the post as you enlightened me and now i will give it a go.

hmm i actually didn't know i could update it, i thought you had to maybe be a part of a group of people with access permissions to update it so the info was legit.

Hmm, seems Ive been ignorant, just expected some ghost from nowhere to supply me with information, have given no thought to the work people have done, but I apologise for this..I just took it all for granted.

However, tonight I had trouble resetting my password etc, said my email was invalid, which it isnt, and as it isnt, I dont know how to move forward :scratch2:

However, if and when I over-come this problem, I will contribute also.

Hmm, seems Ive been ignorant, just expected some ghost from nowhere to supply me with information, have given no thought to the work people have done, but I apologise for this..I just took it all for granted.

However, tonight I had trouble resetting my password etc, said my email was invalid, which it isnt, and as it isnt, I dont know how to move forward :scratch2:

However, if and when I over-come this problem, I will contribute also.

PM Witte and he should be able to sort something out.

Probably a major reason why people haven't been updating it as much is
because they are to busy involving themselves in whine threads year round
instead of sending support cases, updating Entropedia and most importantly
playing the game.

But yeah updating common items to a new VU is a pain cus there is far more
updates in this game then ever before.

Me I'm just to lazy myself sorry.......

Anyone can update it, but there is also a group of people with extra permissions to confirm the grey data.

I am currently hardly active in EU so I make very little updates for that reason. I do check the updates on Entropedia every now and then. Loads of updates have been made recently for example for next island, so I don't think the number of updates are particularity low last few months. I think a lack of up to date data is more a result of an ever increasing number of items that required updating.

EDIT: I just checked, December 2010 has position 1 in the all time high in number of updates. 10659 to be exact. Full top 10:

"updates","month"
10659,"2010-12-December"
9293,"2010-09-September"
8787,"2007-10-October"
8627,"2007-11-November"
8483,"2007-12-December"
8247,"2010-01-January"
8179,"2010-10-October"
8092,"2009-12-December"
7669,"2010-11-November"
7551,"2010-04-April"

I am always open to suggestion how to improve the update process, or any part of the site. I am not aware that the update process was changed, so maybe you encountered a bug. What exactly changed for you, and how would you like to see the process improved?

Last edited:
I use entropedia as reference all the time. I also tried to update it before but I didn't have permission. You call me lazy because of this? No I'm not lazy, I'm playing EU and don't have time to screw around with trying to get permission. I could have made 100 updates by now, but that stuff is in the moment changes that occur while in-game referencing specific items etc. I can't remember where to go back to make changes, I was just ready to make changes when errors were found.

EDIT: I just checked, December 2010 has position 1 in the all time high in number of updates. 10659 to be exact. Full top 10:

Cool info; thanks Witte!

Do you have an easy way of figuring how many different accounts made updates? Is it a little info from a lot of ppl, or lots of updates from a few?

EU is dynamic, and a good number of times the changes happen far faster then people want to update that thing.

Back