[HELP] Trying to run Entropia Universe on linux using Wine.

Diskopandan

Hatchling
Hi guys, I'm trying to make this game work on linux using ubuntu, I've managed to install it and update the game, although as soon as I press Launch, it gives me a popup looking like this:

----------------------------------|
|_| Clien..........................x |
|................___..................|
|...............( x ).................|
|..................<OK>.............|
|---------------------------------|

Yes, thats right.. just "Clien..." and a red bubble with a cross and the OK button to press...
Furtherly investigating this I found out that by using the terminal; this is what goes on during the Launch Time;

fixme:shdocvw:WebBrowser_Refresh (0x155c298)
fixme:mshtml:nsURI_GetOriginCharset default action not implemented

I tried repairing, resulting in no success. These two lines didn't say anything to what I can do to prevent it.

Also, I am considering changing to windows solemnly because of this game, but I would like to see if any one of the guys who actually made this game work on linux can help.

There are several posts using google that indicates that somehow you can make this game work using ubuntu/linux, although none tell the reader why.

Sincerely, Panda.

Re partition your drive and duel boot suckux with windows XP or win 7. Problem solved. Alternatively totally get rid of that crap OS where everything thats supposed to be simple is a pain in the ass to do and install an industry leading OS (AKA windows). There is a reason why Linux will nether go main stream in the commercial sector, that is because its community does not understand what a truly grate OS is made of.

Surprisingly I'm writing this hate speech against Linux from my laptop that currently has Linux installed (going bye bye as soon as I get home and can install win 7 again)

To the OP: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...61443-EU-on-Linux-(WINE)&highlight=linux+wine

Linux is a great OS, with no registry like what is in Windows. The registry is one of Microsoft's worst architectural mistakes. A lot of people end up installing freeware or trialware on a Windows machine, and don't realize that when they uninstall the program, very frequently registry keys are left behind which prevent the user from restarting the trial. If you're interested in companies which sell copy protection, lookup 'Armadillo', or 'Execryptor'.

I've learned how to track down most of the leftover crap, but many keys are extremely cryptic and it's often difficult to know which programs they're associated with. The next problem with Windows is with freeware. Many people don't untick the options to install Google Chrome, the Ask.com Toolbar, etc. By the time they have their machine for 6 months, it's riddled with crap.

Just as a warning to all users: Do not install Google Chrome. It silently installs a secondary program called 'Google Updater' which runs in the background, installs multiple registry keys, and runs each time you turn on your computer. It's a very pesky program which connects to the internet without your permission, and cannot be uninstalled without uninstalling Google Chrome. And even when you do uninstall it, including by using an uninstall utility such as Revo Uninstaller, it still leaves keys behind. The only safe options I've learned of if you must use Chrome is to use SRWare Iron, which is a stripped down version of Chrome without the updater, or build Chromium from scratch using the source code. Just do yourself a favor, and stick with Firefox.

I disagree that Linux sucks as there are plenty of people here on the forums who use it, and are happy with it (myself included). It may suck for you if you don't know what you're doing, but it certainly isn't plagued by the atrocities of the Windows architecture considering Linux's strict package management system. Linux certainly does have a future, and gets more popular each year.

Last edited:
To the OP: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...61443-EU-on-Linux-(WINE)&highlight=linux+wine

Linux is a great OS, with no registry like what is in Windows. The registry is one of Microsoft's worst architectural mistakes. A lot of people end up installing freeware or trialware on a Windows machine, and don't realize that when they uninstall the program, very frequently registry keys are left behind which prevent the user from restarting the trial. If you're interested in companies which sell copy protection, lookup 'Armadillo', or 'Execryptor'.

I've learned how to track down most of the leftover crap, but many keys are extremely cryptic and it's often difficult to know which programs they're associated with. The next problem with Windows is with freeware. Many people don't untick the options to install Google Chrome, the Ask.com Toolbar, etc. By the time they have their machine for 6 months, it's riddled with crap.

Just as a warning to all users: Do not install Google Chrome. It silently installs a secondary program called 'Google Updater' which runs in the background, installs multiple registry keys, and runs each time you turn on your computer. It's a very pesky program which connects to the internet without your permission, and cannot be uninstalled without uninstalling Google Chrome. And even when you do uninstall it, including by using an uninstall utility such as Revo Uninstaller, it still leaves keys behind. The only safe options I've learned of if you must use Chrome is to use SRWare Iron, which is a stripped down version of Chrome without the updater, or build Chromium from scratch using the source code. Just do yourself a favor, and stick with Firefox.

I disagree that Linux sucks as there are plenty of people here on the forums who use it, and are happy with it (myself included). It may suck for you if you don't know what you're doing, but it certainly isn't plagued by the atrocities of the Windows architecture considering Linux's strict package management system. Linux certainly does have a future, and gets more popular each year.

I have no problems with the windows registry. In fact its damn easy to clean your registry without the use of BS tools that actually end up slowing the pc more then anything if you know what should be in the registry. Probably the most annoying thing about linux is finding a solution to some dumbass problem that hours of google and days on forums can not solve while most problems on windows can be solved within no time if you know how to google. Linux lacks consistency and standardization. The install of crappy browser bars is down completely to user stupidity (ffs there is a tick box dont just click next next next) o and that google updater can easily be killed by guess what the registry. Took no time to kill it when I tested Chrome. One thing I agree on with you is stick with Firefox it rocks. O yea and then games, what an ease to install on windows sins it just works because its written to work. Not one of the major game companies games work out of the box with linux.

Alternatively totally get rid of that crap OS where everything thats supposed to be simple is a pain in the ass to do and install an industry leading OS (AKA windows). There is a reason why Linux will nether go main stream in the commercial sector, that is because its community does not understand what a truly grate OS is made of.

Hahahahahahaha. HA. Ha ha. Hahahahahahah. ROTFL.
Let me take my breath for a bit....

Hahahaha. Hahahahah, Hahahahahah.

Thank you dear man for the good laugh. I haven't seen a good FUD in a long time.

Windows OS (any version) is an okaish game console, I'll give you that. Other than that it's just a joke of an OS unless you want your data owned by anyone any time of the day (on the desktop side) and additionally you really want to buy 4x the hardware and pay some hefty license fees (on the server side).

To OP: get winetricks and install dx9. But you will run into another troubles as MA programmers use some stuff that is not that well standardized and I too had to dualboot for EU. OTOH I run Blizzard's Starcraft2 without any problems under wine.

Ciobyna

Windows is a real joke of an os. If it wasn't for its monopolistic roots it would have long ago died.

There is only one reason i still use it. Games. If i wasnt a gamer(or if games were on a cross platform graphics api), i would have deleted all my windows partitions long ago.

An OS should be thin, and robust. It should be there to manage hardware, start and manage programs(and shared libraries), manage user i/o and manage data i/o. THATS IT. Programs should live in their own process space unable to alter any other process, especially the OS itself. Windows is the antithesis to this line of thinking.

I think the biggest problem is the fact that not all windows libraries(dll's) can be used under wine.

Especially the .NET framework which entropia uses will cause problems under wine.

Dual boot with windows seems the best solution.

Re partition your drive and duel boot suckux with windows XP or win 7. Problem solved. Alternatively totally get rid of that crap OS where everything thats supposed to be simple is a pain in the ass to do and install an industry leading OS (AKA windows). There is a reason why Linux will nether go main stream in the commercial sector, that is because its community does not understand what a truly grate OS is made of.

Surprisingly I'm writing this hate speech against Linux from my laptop that currently has Linux installed (going bye bye as soon as I get home and can install win 7 again)

I would also suggest a dual boot installation.
For games take Windows for the rest use Linux, still faster, more robust, saver than any Windows Version you can get from M$.

Do not berlieve the M$ add you read above and btw.useLibre Office instead of MS-Office and you saved 500 US$ per Machine. Did you know that the preinstalled Office's on the Office Ready PC's are hardware bundeled so you have to buy a new Version with your next Computer too?

I think the biggest problem is the fact that not all windows libraries(dll's) can be used under wine.

Especially the .NET framework which entropia uses will cause problems under wine.

Dual boot with windows seems the best solution.
Why stop with dual booth... Go for a tri-boot or quad boot. Put xp on one side, 7 or vista on another, and use wubi to put Linux on top (use wubi instead of other installation types so you can uninstall it easier and/or can get rid of Linux if you need quickly if grub screws up royally as it is likely to do sometimes if you have no clue and are a n00b programmer). Want to get really fancy, add osx on an emulator, and/or whatever else you want if you got the space for it. Nowadays possibilities are limitless, assuming you got a few bucks for the right amount of hardware, software, and hard drive space.

Try to get vmware player or server and install windows in a virtual machine (I suggest you to use player unless you want to go multi-os).

Windows is a real joke of an os. If it wasn't for its monopolistic roots it would have long ago died.

If it worn't for the moronistic approach of a non user friendly overly complicated OS called Linux Windows would have been killed long ago. It has nothing todo with a monopoly held by Microsoft its purely down to the way Linux is that it is not used as a commercial mainstream OS. Improve Linux to be simplistic and user friendly (remember not everyone can go and study computers or understand computers because not everyone has an aptitude for technology) and it could easily kill Microsoft so don't complain about them having a so called Monopoly the Linux developers gave it to Microsoft on a silver platter. Microsoft made an OS usable by the average person and that is why they are successful, whereas Linux has gone exactly the opposite way and then their also probably the most unhelpful community when it comes to solving a problem. Take a look at how many unsolved problems with asshole help replies of "try google" there is of something that is supposed to be simple like updating of drivers there is on the linux forums.

Last edited:
I got Eu running till the point it logs on and then crashes (updating through windows tho)

I only use windows for games . Why bother running it on a system where it isnt designed for it. ANd yeah i rather see EU in OpenGL so i can run it on linux. Linux runs way smoother then windows I treid it with X-plane windows and linux client. I prefered the Linux one

Why bother running it on a system where it isnt designed for it.
I agree, BUT the original cryengine was intended to be multi-platform including a version for Linux. If MA would start telling Crytek that there are so many folks using linux, and there actually are that many, perhaps the programmers could/would start putting out the multi-platform code on the cryengine again?!?...

If it worn't for the moronistic approach of a non user friendly overly complicated OS called Linux Windows would have been killed long ago. It has nothing todo with a monopoly held by Microsoft its purely down to the way Linux is that it is not used as a commercial mainstream OS. Improve Linux to be simplistic and user friendly (remember not everyone can go and study computers or understand computers because not everyone has an aptitude for technology) and it could easily kill Microsoft so don't complain about them having a so called Monopoly the Linux developers gave it to Microsoft on a silver platter. Microsoft made an OS usable by the average person and that is why they are successful, whereas Linux has gone exactly the opposite way and then their also probably the most unhelpful community when it comes to solving a problem. Take a look at how many unsolved problems with asshole help replies of "try google" there is of something that is supposed to be simple like updating of drivers there is on the linux forums.

Sure you could have problems with certain hardware and Linux. Haveing said that you also have to tell why and then itis clear to everyone that mostly the problem lies with the Hardware Developer not providing drivers for Linux or not provides the Linux community the Information needed to make the drivers by themselve so they have to do them from scratch and this takes some time.

BTW can you run this on any Windows Version on a AMD Sempron 2400 (~6 year old CPU) with 1 GB RAM :
Media Server(MythTV) with two Analog(Haupauge PVR350/150) tuner cards witch can record two streams of TV and at the same timee 4 Clients watch content provided by this Server while still beeing a file server and Database server running a graphical User Interface to Watch Media or Live TV on it, and and and....

With Linux you can. And it runs and runs and runs and runs - no Reboot neede except for the Installation of new kernels.

Or my Atom Netbook with Ubuntu 10.04 for Netbook boots faster than any C2D or most of the Core i Notebooks with Windows 7

Not said any word about security or the need of installation CD's for common Hardware, witch you not need most of the time with Linux as OS.

Improve Linux to be simplistic and user friendly (remember not everyone can go and study computers or understand computers because not everyone has an aptitude for technology) and it could easily kill Microsoft so don't complain about them having a so called Monopoly the Linux developers gave it to Microsoft on a silver platter. Microsoft made an OS usable by the average person and that is why they are successful, whereas Linux has gone exactly the opposite way and then their also probably the most unhelpful community when it comes to solving a problem..

If one of your friends has an Android-based phone that's linux.
If one of your friends has a newer generation TV-set great chances are that it's running linux to display all the shiny menus and display your pictures and movies.
If you look at a web page big chances are that it's served by a linux server.
I work for a company that has linux both on his desktops and servers, so what are we talking about ?
Long are the days when "linux zealots" (myself included at that time) chanted "down with Microsoft!". Now I and a lot others realized that we don't need to, Microsoft is doing a good job by itself. Linux is slowly growing by merit, not by zealotry and now MS is playing catchup, not the other way around.

Remember, main job of computers is to get the work done, there are alot more workstations that game stations out there.

Oh, linux can't run latest flash-bang games properly.
Yes, I agreed to that earlier. But I don't think it's _only_ the fault of linux companies or groups (remember, there is more than one "kind" of linux) but also of the game companies who at the moment see no market there. They have enough bugs as-is and they don't want more at this moment (but this is slowly changing).

Take a look at how many unsolved problems with asshole help replies of "try google" there is of something that is supposed to be simple like updating of drivers there is on the linux forums.

I think you have a bad tooth on linux on this based on an personal experience, I can understand that. But that's no reason to trash it or (worse) to praise another OS as the land of milk and honey when it's really not the case.

Can we get back to topic now ?

Thank you,

Ciobyna

Alright guys, seeing as this turned out to be more of an organised flame post about what OS is better, the only real advice I got was to dual boot. The reason why I don't use Windows is that it literally eats up my computer from the inside, using those small built in crappy programs make me unable to play any type of game, nevertheless that was Vista, I will try to partion the Windows XP version instead seeing as that takes so much less memory.

I've managed to run several games on linux and I've gotten a hang of the coding, although I cannot see myself as an intermediate linux user, I can understand most parts.

Using winecfg I found out that i am using DirectX version 9. I've also tried running the game on Wine 1.2 and 1.3.6 without any bypass to the error without text.

So.. is there anyone who knows anything more than this?

Please do not continue to argue about what OS is better, keep it to yourself.

Thanks in advance,
Panda.

Update:

Alright! I managed to bypass the error only by installing winetricks ie6.
(noobs, to do that you press CTRL+ALT+T to get to the Terminal, and then you type:
..."winetricks ie6")
and you just wait and accept the installs.

Now there's one last problem, when I login I crash and another error pops up;

"Entropia Universe did not shutdown normally."

To add; when I press "Launch", some very weid sound pops up for a milisecond, one that's similar to a non functioning radio.

The crash occurs on the loading screen when the green bar is full.

Update:

Alright! I managed to bypass the error only by installing winetricks ie6.
(noobs, to do that you press CTRL+ALT+T to get to the Terminal, and then you type:
..."winetricks ie6")
and you just wait and accept the installs.

Now there's one last problem, when I login I crash and another error pops up;

"Entropia Universe did not shutdown normally."

To add; when I press "Launch", some very weid sound pops up for a milisecond, one that's similar to a non functioning radio.

The crash occurs on the loading screen when the green bar is full.

Did you put the graphics to save mode in the Client Loader under Tools? BTW you can also disable sound there to may see if it is sound related if you not tried it already.

PS:

Sorry for off topic ;)

Did you put the graphics to save mode in the Client Loader under Tools? BTW you can also disable sound there to may see if it is sound related if you not tried it already.

PS:

Sorry for off topic ;)

Alright I'm guessing you mean "Safe Mode", and yes I did try it WITH and WITHOUT the Safe mode. Didn't change anything there.

I disabled the sound using teh TOOLS menu in the launcher and it still did the weird radio sound. Note: my computer has never done anything ilke that before, neither has any of my other computers.

It doesn't matter for me if you guys go off-topic, its more of a moral sense that anyone should do whatever they feel is best for them.

Alternatively totally get rid of that crap OS ... There is a reason why Linux will nether go main stream in the commercial sector

would that be the same "crap" OS that runs over half the websites on t'internet and will be found in many industries from banking to telecoms? im pretty sure its behind a few online games too, in the server room.

look, Linux and Unixes dont do user friendliness very well (without an Apple badge), but dont slate it just for one area. Microsoft made life easy for people, at the expense of poor performance and poor scalability and a string of engineering kludges that a graduate could improve upon. horses for courses, if some want to play with configing Linux to play games let them, while they let you play around with the registry or debugging code that calls a 10 year old COM library.

Last edited:
Alright I'm guessing you mean "Safe Mode", and yes I did try it WITH and WITHOUT the Safe mode. Didn't change anything there.

I disabled the sound using teh TOOLS menu in the launcher and it still did the weird radio sound. Note: my computer has never done anything ilke that before, neither has any of my other computers.

It doesn't matter for me if you guys go off-topic, its more of a moral sense that anyone should do whatever they feel is best for them.

Hey!

I've encountered the same problem as you after following this thread regarding Linux on Entropia:
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...204666-Entropia-on-Linux-IT-WORKS-!&p=2650056

I also tried disabling sound and activating safe mode but that doesn't help, same problem.
I'm out of ideas on what to try :S

Bumping an old thread.

EU runs out of the box on Ubuntu 16.10 /amd64 with latest wine.
I need to run the 32 bit client to get it working.

Regards Coach

Back