FYI: Entropia on Linux, IT WORKS !

Naomi

Elite
Society
Rangers
Naomi NP Polder
Hey

here is what I did:

- installed Linux on my laptop (mintLinux, 64bit, version10)

- installed 3rd party graphic drivers

- installed the latest wine

- installed winetricks
(wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks)

- executed winetricks (console, 'sh winetricks')
and installed directx9, IE6, and some other d3dx9 thingies

- downloaded Entropia client installer
(change attributes to 'allow execution of this file')

- the client loader installed
c++ thingies
all dynamic content

- I added some registry keys in console/regedit, as shown here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/davvvvve#p/a/f/1/t32GRBnc0T0

- I added the packages to the updater as shown here for the latest wine
http://www.winehq.org/download/deb

- I installed the fonts 'Arial', 'Verdana' and 'Tahoma' by doubleclicking them and pressing the install-button
(without this, EU fonts did not show)(put on usbstick from windows first)

And... IT RUNS, FULLY, INCLUDING TEXTURES !!!

Have a blast!
Naomi

Last edited:
any performance differences linux vs windows?

performance, glitch

I have yet to do it on my main computer, where I can check the performance

I have 1 small problem left:
when you press the spacebar to look around in 1st person with your mouse, the mouse does not stay centered, which means that if you go/look right or left, you will stop turning when your mouse has reached the end of your window or screen...

So you would have to press spacebar, reposition your mouse at the other end of your screen, press spacebar again, before being able to keep turning

Naomi

Works on Mac aswell, although crashes are frequent.

Sigh, it's probably more interesting to get Entropia running natively (and fully utilizing) on 64-bit Windows first.... then they can worry about other platforms...

Works on Mac aswell, although crashes are frequent.
is there anything special you have to do to get it to run on Mac? i wish it was readily ported to Mac tbh as i have a few people interested in having a go but they all have macs...

Sigh, it's probably more interesting to get Entropia running natively (and fully utilizing) on 64-bit Windows first.... then they can worry about other platforms...

Oh they're not worrying about them
He's only using WINE, ..

(if you don't want to read technical blabbering skip this paragraph)
.. an abstraction layer which maps Windows API calls (such as DirectX calls) to API calls implemented on other platforms (such as OpenGL calls, *but* it's not just about graphics)

MA/FPC has nothing to do with the fact that it is able to run under WINE, other than perhaps using libraries that are implemented under it

And I'd much rather see a native Linux version than a 64-bit Windows version, but it's not going to happen in the foreseeable future, so.. :)

is there anything special you have to do to get it to run on Mac? i wish it was readily ported to Mac tbh as i have a few people interested in having a go but they all have macs...

Ya I had to install Bootcamp, then install windows through that. Then I had to install Entropia on the windows partion but to a directory on the mac partion. Setup failed about 5 times before it worked. Now I can run entropia with OS 10.6. Although average time before it crashes is 10 minutes, this is good if I just need to log on for a couple minutes.

If I want to go on longer then I have to reboot my mac and load the windows partion(this takes a surprising long time) then I can run entropia normally.

Best bet for your friends is to install bootcamp(comes on the recovery disk with OS 10.4 or .10.5 and up) and then instal windows, last time I checked windows XP and Vista are the only ones supported.

Hope that works and they join the community, after all, everyone knows Mac users are smarter then PC users :)
Of coarse I have both so does that make me confused? lol

I run EU on macbook pro with it installed on a bootcamp partition running windows XP pro. It seems as stable as it was on my old xp desktop. Only one thing is the fan for my laptop is on constantly I guess due to the graphics chip. So far after about 6 months the case has not melted. So far so good. I run with most things on Med or High setting for the graphics.

Im just trying to get it working on my MacBook Pro with OS 10.6

I just executed the Clientloader.exe with Wine and installed it.

Everything worked fine.

But i cant start the game.

I always get an error Message with an red X and without text.

Anyone got any idea?

First of all, I'm very happy indeed to hear this, however, I very much like to see a couple of screenshots and also the versions of the various tools involved, wine, trick, etc. would be very useful indeed.

My next project is to try and get EU running of an ASUS eepc 1015PEM running Gentoo and probably KDE. Trouble with this is the screen resolution, which is only 1024*600 (I think) so if you know anything about that, I'd appreciate an comment.

Anyway, nicely done.

Best regards.

Im just trying to get it working on my MacBook Pro with OS 10.6
I just executed the Clientloader.exe with Wine and installed it.
Everything worked fine.
But i cant start the game.
I always get an error Message with an red X and without text.
Anyone got any idea?

Hey
only installing wine is not enough. I had the same before I did the other things.
Pls look at my first post

cheers
Naomi

Im using Wine + Winebottler 1.1.44.

I installed everything directx related with winetricks:

I also installed IE6.

I dont know if i have to install a 3rd partsy graphics driver...

I also installed those fonts.

The ClientLoader is installing perfectly, its also downloading the dynamic content.
But when its finished i got that error message.

Im using Wine + Winebottler 1.1.44.

I installed everything directx related with winetricks:

I also installed IE6.

I dont know if i have to install a 3rd partsy graphics driver...

I also installed those fonts.

The ClientLoader is installing perfectly, its also downloading the dynamic content.
But when its finished i got that error message.

I am about to try this myself, but as far as i know, you have to install non-opensourse ati/nvidia drivers, generic ones won't work with most of 3d stuff. Installation method for different distribution varies, so you might want to check your distribution help pages on that.

hmm i should watch and just dont click windows away...

i get following error msg if i try to install those winetricks stuff:

Code:
###BOTTLING### installing d3dx9
wine: chdir to /private/tmp/winebottler/1295548720/wineprefix
 : No such file or directory
mkdir: /private/tmp/winebottler/1295548720/wineprefix: No such file or directory
### LOG ### Command 'sh /private/tmp/winebottler/1295548720/winetricks.sh d3dx9' returned status 1.

------------------------------------------------------ can't create /private/tmp/winebottler/1295548720/wineprefix/dosdevices/c:/winetrickstmp ------------------------------------------------------

###ERROR### Command 'sh /private/tmp/winebottler/1295548720/winetricks.sh d3dx9' returned status 1.
Task returned with status 15.

edit: had no prefix created, now i got it installed. im just transferring the dynamic content from my bootcamp partition
edit2: it still doenst work.
i also did the direct3d thingie in the registry editor
doenst wine use the Mac OS drivers?

Last edited:
Well, i followed all instructions, and it doesn't seem to work. Fresh install of Mint10 64bit, and everything else on your list. However, one point is not very clear:

- executed winetricks (console, 'sh winetricks')
and installed directx9, IE6, and some other d3dx9 thingies

There are more then 10 directx related things on that list. It would be really helpful if you could say specifically what you installed.

The launch phase for me goes fine, i get the login window, then prompt to enter GC code, then planet calypso laoding screen.. and then a crash with following message:

well im using max OSX snow leopard and no linux...

oh and "everything direct x related" mean everything ;)

ATI Graphics

Okay, so I tried this on my laptop and it worked, that has an nVidia card, however it is not powerful enough for it and I didn't get any textures and the performance was bad, which is what I expected. My desktop that I normally play EU on is a lot more powerful, however it has an ATI card. I did with it the same that I did on the laptop but when I click Launch nothing happens, in the processes I see Entropia but it is in a Zombie state and after awhile it just quits. I did some research on it and saw some errors pertaining to ATI cards. If I get the specific error messages does anyone think they might be able to help or have any ideas of what might get it working without more details?

Thanks,
Sorven

hey

Nope, I'm not that Davvvve :d

I found him elsewhere on this forum someday though
don't remember where...

cheers
Naomi

Hi everyone,

I can now confirm EU is working on Wine, but I have three more or less minor issues. One is the already mentioned cursor problem (see post #3 by Naomi), the second is I have no sound (see why below), and the third is EU hangs when the logout counter reaches 1 and I have to kill it.

First of all the setup:
- Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit with pae kernel
- Wine 1.3.11
- Winetricks

I didn't install the thing under Wine, just used the existing Windows installation.

What you definitely need to install via winetricks is d3dx9 and ie6. I also installed vcrun2005, but I'm pretty sure it didn't help with anything. The d3dx9 is obvious enough, ie6 fixed the clientloader for me (it would display a txt version before) and got rid of the nameless error after clicking Launch.

This way I was able to launch EU but it was very unstable. It was fine until I started moving or turning, then it crashed. Somewhere on the wine forums I found a suggestion that it could be sound related (footsteps?) so I turned off all sound drivers in Wine. For some reason it didn't work yesterday right after the change, but it did today (possibly the change didn't stick? no idea). Didn't have that much time to test it today, will try it out more in the evening or during the weekend, but I was able to run and mine some without any problems. The settings ingame are mixed, but shading is on High and Shadows are on Very high. With shading lower I was getting a lot of weird artifacts. If anyone wants I can post the exact setting used. Also if you have any questions about the setup or anything else I'll try to help as much as I can. Glad it finally works even if with some quirks :)

P.S. You can bypass the clientloader and run entropia.exe directly but you need to use the -run parameter (thanks to the person who suggested this, no idea where I picked it up from lol). So from the entropia/bin32 folder it would be: wine Entropia.exe -run

Looks like I spoke too soon :( I'm getting the crashes all the time now, sound or not, so I guess I was lucky when it worked. Back to working but unusable for now...

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=20449
wine 1.3.14
Patch 1 * bugs2.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=27310 *
Patch 2 * bugs2.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=32768 *

Note . Patch 1 makes Entropia Universe not crash
Patch 2 makes the mouse work 100 %

winetricks

1. ie6
2. d3dx9_36
3. vcrun2005
4 . corefonts
No mouse problem with fullscreen .A few glitches with grafics ( ONLY in the crater ( hadesheim )

Allthings work , mining , crafting , hunting , deposit , etc etc

I havent a lag in twin .

Ingame options , QUALITY SHADING MUST be at high !

/David " Davvvve " Eriksson

---------------------------------------

by Davvvve on Sunday February 27th 2011, 8:35
wine 1.3.14
Patch 1 * bugs2.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=27310 *
Patch 2 * bugs2.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=32768 *

Note . Patch 1 makes Entropia Universe not crash
Patch 2 makes the mouse work 100 %

winetricks

1. ie6
2. d3dx9_36
3. vcrun2005

No mouse problem with fullscreen , ( playable with windowmode )
A few glitches with grafics ( ONLY in the crater ( hadesheim )
Rank it Platinum .
Made a guide but it was rejeckted .

[post new] [reply to this]

* RE: 1.3.14 by Davvvve on Tuesday March 8th 2011, 6:28

RE: 1.3.14
by Davvvve on Tuesday March 8th 2011, 6:28
Install corefonts from winetricks if your text is unreadble. You dont have to install Entropia from scratch . Just copy your windows install to your winefolder .

[post new] [reply to this]

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=20449 (--- chack that site . Updating it when i need to
/ David "Davvvve" Eriksson

Last edited by a moderator:
bump. Any updates on this...

notes/links/etc.:
http://www.dedoimedo.com/games/wine-directx.html
http://www.wine-reviews.net/wine-re...-2008-redistributable-on-linux-with-wine.html

ok... I was able to log in, and see about 2 frames and it more or less locked up with unresponsiveness...

From what I've gathered so far, first of all you need to patch wine with this patch:
http://bugs2.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=27310

secondly you probably need to make sure you're running 32 bit wine and not 64 bit.

Next you need to make sure you have 32 bit graphic drivers installed and the rest is fairly easy.

You may want to take a look at this thread, which pretty much explains the process and the learning process I had to go trough.

http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=14642

I do however have EU up and running on my archbox and it works quite well.

How I did it

Currently running EU on Xubuntu 11.10 32 bit (64 bit didn't like it when I tried to install vcrun2005).

Get the latest version of PlayOnLinux, should be in the Software Center, otherwise http://www.playonlinux.com/en/download.html

PoL is a frontend for WINE which simplifies a lot of stuff, like per-program WINE versions and settings.

Get the necessary packages:
DAVVVVE created a thread on the PoL forum:
http://www.playonlinux.com/en/topic-8615.html
Go to Tools -> Manage Wine Versions, look for
Code:
1.4-rc5-d3d_doublebuffer
That version contains the patch mentioned by Zacariaz as a workaround for the hackish Crysis code.

There should be another patch floating around to fix mouse aim, but I CBB to compile WINE.

Install EU, when asked install the extra bit mentioned in the PoL thread: vcrun2005, d3dx9 and winimet (not sure I installed the last one)

Settings:
Select the EU entry in the PoL menu and click Configure, check that the correct WINE version is listed on the first tab.
On the second tab, there's a "Configure Wine" button, I have mine set to windows 7, and under "Libraries" I had to change the entry for "mmdevapi" to "native,builtin" for sound to work.
If you want EU to sit neatly in a window, select the "Graphics" tab, tick "Emulate virtual desktop" and type in a resolution.
Back to PoL, now the "Display" tab. I have "GLSL support" set to enabled, otherwise most in-game shaders fallback to "Safe mode"

Note if you have an AMD FX (Bulldozer):
The game's scheduler gets confused by the CPU, so to start the game, you first need to launch the WINE Task Manager from the second tab in the "Configure" menu. Then launch the EU client, accept the EULA, once the launcher is up right-click on the EU client's process from the list in the task manager, and set affinity to fewer cores. I run mine on the last 2 cores.

Issues I know of:
Shadows don't do much in my case, I suppose clouds fall in the same category.
A few graphical glitches here and there.
When you get a CTD, the game seems to leave quite some cruft in RAM.

Here's one of the first screenshots I took, running with medium settings + high detail avatars and textures:
2usgcwl.jpg

I had posted a fairly long description of how I did it, but the post contained URLs, for some reason it didn't show up, so in case it ended up in the Great Bit Bucket:

Currently running EU on Xubuntu 11.10 32 bit (64 bit didn't let me install vcrun 2005)

Get PlayonLinux (latest version), go to "Tools" > "Manage Wine Versions"
Add "wine-1.4-rc5-d3d_doublebuffer" - it contains the patch for the Crysis engine
Install EU, if prompted download those additional packages: vcrun 2005, winimet, d3dx9
You can also add them later through the "Configure" menu for your EU entry.

I have mine running at medium settings (plus high textures and avatar), occasional glitches here and there, shadows/clouds don't seem to work at all, mouse aim is quirky (there is a patch for it too but CBB to patch by hand)

ATI Radeon HD4830 with fglrx 12.2 - screenshot once I've figured out with URLs eat my posts

Edit: credit for getting the patched wine version into PlayonLinux goes to DAVVVVE

Last edited:
Back